PDA

View Full Version : What orc stuff should i buy next?

InferiorGuard
07-08-2007, 21:51
Well i recently bought one of the orc megaforces from a popular online auction website. I also have the contents of BFSP, a box of boyz, and the orcs from the last starter set.

what shall i buy next.
I guessed i should buy 2 spear chukkas a rock lobba and a giant.

Also what is the smartest way to build boyz shields and spears, hw and shield, or 2 choppas.

lastly how should i build my two bosses.

winter has ended
07-08-2007, 22:46
erm, i always give my boyz shields just so they survive longer, but i can offer advive never get a giant lol

jkenealy
07-08-2007, 22:56
Wow, winter, congratulations! You have set a new record for the most typos in one post!

winter has ended
07-08-2007, 23:00
yeah i just counted, as 4, not a record mate:rolleyes: also dont say anyhing in a post unless its related to the original question

Goldenwolf
07-08-2007, 23:35
Well you have a nice start.

Do you use the Night Gobbos? If so some netters and Fanatics will do you good.

Did you get the Boar Chariot and Wolf Riders from the old starter set?

Definately Get:
2 Spear Chukkas
Orc Shaman Box

Possibly Get:
Boar Boyz
Doom Diver
Snotling Pump Wagon

Specials are precious in O&G, so figure out what you'll field at 2250 points, and then go from there.

I agree that Giants aren't very good, and at 10% of your army is just too much to waste on it.

Orc Boyz w/shields are the bext option IMO, as 4+ save in HTH combined with T4, S4 on the 1st turn of combat is excellent.

I don't usually use spears, as the choppa bonus is too good to pass on.

Khorghan
07-08-2007, 23:41
I ushually go with HW and shield, Giant for sure-theyre really fun to play

i win hte rcord fer the most spelin mistaks!

Arnizipal
07-08-2007, 23:52
For Orc Boyz go with choppa and shield or two choppaz.
For Big Unz go for two Choppaz for maximum damage potential.

I don't know if any of the sets you bought come with Black Orcs. If so make sure you can field 20 (buy extra if needed). As said, fanatics and netters are a must if you're going to use the Night Goblins you have.

You can't go wrong with a rock lobba and two spear chukkaz. Never leave camp without 2 chukkaz. They're a steal for their points and can do massive damage.

And don't let anyone tell you a gaint is a bad choice. My giant has taken down entire units (25 strong, swordsmen with the general) with a single Yell and Bawl attack and stuffed fully kitted out Elven generals in his pants. :D

Gralph!?!
07-08-2007, 23:59
personally i go for 2 blocks of orcs with 2 choppas and full commands. this way my opponant has to deal with them, a single unit is already hard then a second one can help out with flank charges and makes it really deadly.

personally i think the giant is a bad idea so instead i would get a couple more trolls to go with the skull pass one. it is morereliable than the giant in that 3 odfthem cost just over half the giants cost, have more survivability and can do more damage in combat.

Crazy Harborc
08-08-2007, 00:13
What the man from Belgium said......Plus......BOs can really mess up the other army. The armed to the teeth choices allow you to go for the best weapon based on what they are going to fight in HtH.

I like great weapons when my BOs are charging into a T4 enemy. Defending, I choose the Choppa(hand weapon) plus the shield. Again if charging against a T3 enemy use the extra choppa....chappas ARE S4 in round one of each of the unit's HtHs.:D

Arnizipal
08-08-2007, 01:23
Yay! People like me :p

personally i think the giant is a bad idea so instead i would get a couple more trolls to go with the skull pass one. it is morereliable than the giant in that 3 odfthem cost just over half the giants cost, have more survivability and can do more damage in combat.
Hell must be freezing over. That's the first time I ever heard someone saying trolls are more reliable than a giant. :wtf:

Urgat
08-08-2007, 01:41
You need wolves. Always take wolves.

nightstorm
08-08-2007, 05:18
Aye fast cav are always needed so either the wolf or spider riders, personally i wouldnt bother with the rock lobber because as someone has already said you really have to be careful with your special choices as there are so many nice units but so few slots to take.

My special choices are
Back Orcs i field in a unit of 18 (6x3) to get that extra attack in.
Boar boys that ive had mixed results with
Squig hoppers are always fun just for the fact they can charge something they cant see due to their random movement
Spear chukkas (never leave home without them)

Personally the only rare i like is the doom diver.
Trolls i dislike due to having to roll for stupidity for them (im an ex DE player
Giants just take up too many points although they are always fun should you get them into combat.
Pumpwagons are ok too but are too slow on average to keep up with the rest of the hoard.

Have fun

Urgat
08-08-2007, 11:27
Pump wagons tend to be good surprises though, even if they're late, they can just dish out enormous damage to units you're entangled with and break the tide for you, and that for just 40 points (well, 80 points, coz if you take one, you may as well take two, they're worth it imho).
It's actually a goood thing they're slow, in fact, on their own, they won't be so good.

Da Black Gobbo
08-08-2007, 13:38
As said above wolves are a must, a real one, i'd say get trolls or snotling pump wagons. Get some orc shammans and spear chukkas, forget rock lobba is good but it is a special slot.

About orcs, i go with choppa and shield and a little unit of bigguns with 2 choppas and shields, but if i'm facing skaven or armies with little heavy shoot and low resilense 2 choppas always. Black orcs chargin with Nog Banner of Butchery are incredible 15 do 16 attacks at str 5 this is dead for everyone!

Arnizipal
08-08-2007, 14:50
You need wolves. Always take wolves.

Aye fast cav are always needed so either the wolf or spider riders
It think those army sets come with WOlf Riders and the Battle for Skull Pass set has 10 Spider Riders so that's covered. :)

Braad
08-08-2007, 16:57
what shall i buy next.

How about... everything else?

But indeed the chukka's.
And a shaman, or find some other form of magic defense. Spirit totem anyone? On a big unit of big 'uns. Though it can be a bit unreliable, when flanked or something, but then again, first one who shows me something reliable in an orc army gets a cooky (to cover myself, no you won't really get a cooky). With that, you can really max out on fighty characters. Otherwise a shaman is also nice. But in my experience everyone needs a bit of magic defence.

For the bosses, I would say one (the general) on foot, with a shield and a nice big magic choppa, and one on boar. Or maybe two on foot, but the boar can be used for some nice tactic and stuff. For an orc "tactic" usually means: "charge!", and that's what boars do best. Join him with some savage boar boyz, and there you have the start of your army!
Then you can leave the giant at home. A bit of frenzied heavy cavalry will do much better while your army is not so large yet.

Boyz with two choppa's rule big time! I have them too, 25 of them little buggers. I have a unit of big 'uns with choppa and shield, and that was because back in the days they would only get a S-bonus with one choppa, but now I would also give 'm two choppa's. Orcs are best at killing, so kit them out like that. If they die, theres always more of 'm.

winter has ended
08-08-2007, 17:25
you could try 4 shamans, and go for the magic army, which is very good with the amount of dispel dice you get, eseciallt with sneaky staff andmorks sprit totem

InferiorGuard
08-08-2007, 17:53
Update this is exactly what i have (when the megaforce gets to my house)
BfSP
Warhammer Starters set last edition: 16 boyz with 2 choppas 16 arrer boyz 1 boar chariot one big boss on a boar hw and shield.

Megaforce: 2 bosses 10 spider riders 35 boyz 20 Black Orcs 1 boar chariot 20 night gobbos 3 fanatics

Im going to pick up 2 spear chukkas from my local Gw or hobby shop.
and possibly an orc shaman or 2. if i need more gobbos ill buy another BFsP and convert them to have HW. or more river trolls.

as for savage boyz or boar boyz i simply dont have $100 to sink into one unit of guys. is there any cheap way to make em.

Arnizipal
08-08-2007, 18:50
Personally I'd advise against boar boyz until you've tried them out with proxies for a while. They are really expensive points wise, don't have very good armour and so get shot up a lot before they can do anything.

Of course some people love them, so try them out with proxies for a while to see if they fit your playing style. Otherwise don't bother.

winter has ended
08-08-2007, 19:19
boar boyz arnt togoood, but savage ones are, but i agree proxy them first

InferiorGuard
08-08-2007, 21:00
So heres the list of stuff for me to buy definatly
-2 chukkas
-wolf riders
-orc shamen

Possible
-another BfSP
-Trolls
-Rock lobba
-more bosses
-giant
-squig stuff

Anyone also know where i can buy some of those avatar of war orcs other then from his website?

winter has ended
08-08-2007, 21:16
erm just to say dont get the giant lol its useless, and make your trolls stone trolls, by squig stuff get squig hoppers, and seeing as your orcs go with more shamans, try your lord as the warboss and another 3 shamans, maybe 2 goblins and a savage orc one,

Crazy Harborc
09-08-2007, 01:13
Ohhh....yeah!! Wolfriders....give em bows and spears. Fast cav are a fun unit. They can march move up to 18" AND shoot in the same turn. In a way their range is not just 16" it's 34". They can do up to a 180 in the saddle and shoot over the wolves tails.....Ride past a target, stop facing away AND still shoot at the unit they just went past.:D

May you have an opponent who does not know what wolfriders can do.

llama rider
09-08-2007, 01:16
personally, from one who has much value in living as long as you can, i say arm your boyz withchoppa and shield, but i dont play orcs. my friend however is an orc fanatic, and he always gives them additional choppas for extra attacks. it all depends on your approach, kill and be killed, or kill a little less, and stay alive. your call.

Arnizipal
09-08-2007, 01:59
erm just to say dont get the giant lol its useless, and make your trolls stone trolls, by squig stuff get squig hoppers, and seeing as your orcs go with more shamans, try your lord as the warboss and another 3 shamans, maybe 2 goblins and a savage orc one,
I giant may be expensive but it's certainly not useless. :eyebrows:

And what good would a savage orc shaman do (unless you take a large block of savage orcs to hide him in)? All he'll do is charge off and into combat due to his frenzy.

Goldenwolf
09-08-2007, 06:38
Boar Boyz can be ok, but if they are your only viable target they are just a point sink like a giant.

With what you have I would start playing a little before you expand too much, or you can just buy it all :)

winter has ended
09-08-2007, 09:03
erm the savage orc shaman has a ward save and gets 2 attacks, better thern normal one, and he dosnt leave the squad unless he is in charge range, and seeinbg as your orcs when your in charge range you charge

Arnizipal
09-08-2007, 13:36
Skirmishers and fast cav will easily draw him out of his unit or pull the unit into a position that leaves them open for flank charges and such.
Trust me, frenzy is a liability on spellcasters.

winter has ended
09-08-2007, 20:38
no cause he only leaves if he can charge them, which means your uit of rocs can charge them? so then youd charge your orcs

InferiorGuard
11-08-2007, 00:52
Few more questions

How many boxes of wolf riders and how do i build em 5 bow 5 spear

How should i build my bosses that i have? warbanner? choppa and shield

Orc shaman box looks good will i need any more.

plastic squig hoppers do they exist?!?

Arnizipal
11-08-2007, 01:26
no cause he only leaves if he can charge them, which means your uit of rocs can charge them? so then youd charge your orcs
Actually, after all charges have been declared you have to check frenzied troops to see if they MUST charge. So there's the possibility your shaman just charges out of the unit when you miscalculated the distance to some fast cav/skirmishers.

Another scenario:
Five knights are advancing on your 20 Orc Boyz and frenzied shaman and a small unit of fast cavalry is lurking to the boyz' left, but still within LoS of your shaman.
If the knights would charge you head on they'd lose due to your ranks and outnumbering, but because of the frenzied shaman you have to charge the fast cav when they stray within 8" of you. The fast cav flees, causing you to fail your charge and expose your vulnerable flank to the knights who will almost certainly break you if they charge now.

Few more questions

How many boxes of wolf riders and how do i build em 5 bow 5 spear

How should i build my bosses that i have? warbanner? choppa and shield

Orc shaman box looks good will i need any more.

plastic squig hoppers do they exist?!?
One box gives you 10 Wolf Riders (and a boat load of extra Goblin parts you can use in conversions). Two units of five is good for general harassment and mage/warmachine hunting. If you give them bows and spears they're still very cheap. Note that Spider Riders do essentially the same as Wolf Riders (only they're a bit slower).

The Warbanner can only be given to standards bearers in units or the army standard bearer (an upgraded hero). I always give either my Black Orcs or Big'Unz the War Banner. The other gets Nog's Banner of Butchery. These two banners are just too cheap and effective to pass up on.

As for the equipment for your big or warbosses, that really depends on personal preference. Greenskins get some excellent magic weapons.

Currently I use and Orc Warboss with this setup:
Ulag's Akkrit Axe, Enchanted Shield (and light armour), Best Boss 'At and the 'Ead Kickin' Boots

Martog's Best Basha and the Screaming Sword are also very good.
The Spiteful Shield and the Amulet of Protectyness are fun if you like to challenge enemy characters a lot.

For shamans, I'd get a blister of Goblin shamans as well. The Little WAAAGH! has some very sneaky spells (like Gork'll Fix It) and some of the best arcane items are Goblins only (like the Staff of Sneaky Stealin').

And sadly there's no such thing as plastic Squig Hoppers.

winter has ended
11-08-2007, 07:16
@ Amizipal : or you let the shaman charge,, the fast cav run, he fails, now the nightseitherr charge the shaman and get chraged next turn, or do not charge

Arnizipal
12-08-2007, 12:04
We're dragging this thread totally off topic but ok...

@ Amizipal : or you let the shaman charge,, the fast cav run, he fails, now the nightseitherr charge the shaman and get chraged next turn, or do not charge
I'd throw away five knights to take out a mage any day (except Chaos Knights :p ).
The knights can charge the shaman and will most likely kill him. Then when the boyz charge next turn they can flee and relatively easily outrun their opponents.

Letting your shaman charge out the unit also leaves him stranded out in the open and the perfect target for enemy shooting and magic.

winter has ended
12-08-2007, 12:37
oh sorry for dragging off topic, ok then lol, i just find the savage orc shaman better

Goldenwolf
13-08-2007, 04:01
Wolf Riders just don't give them shields as then they lose Fast Cav status.

Crazy Harborc
14-08-2007, 02:29
I am leaving the Savage Orc Shaman at home for Friday. A unit of 13 Savage Orc Boarboys AND a unit of 24 Savage Orc Boys will be foaming at the mouth towards my opponent's HE army. So will a unit of 20 Spider Riders and several units of NGs....A unit of BOs too.:D 2800 points of greenies out for a little frolic with the pointy ears.

InferiorGuard
14-08-2007, 03:21
In the 2 orc warboss box im getting is it smart to build one with a warbanner if so on foot or on boar. If hes on the boar cant he menuver around and give select units bonuses.

Also how many boyz/night gobbos should i field in a unit.

Spider riders vs wolf riders which are better?

how many fanatics per unit.

Arnizipal
14-08-2007, 15:10
All option in the warboss set are useful so you'll just have to choose. :)
Personally I'd go for the Warboss on foot and mounted standard bearer.

20-25 boyz for a unit. 20 and no command for Night Goblins if you only want them to deliver fanatics. Fighty Night Goblins need to be at least 30 strong.

Wolf Riders are faster, but Spider Riders ignore terrain and have poisonous mounts. It really depends on circumstances. You could of course always field one unit of both.

winter has ended
14-08-2007, 20:38
personally make a warboss on a mount not a standered and make it a black orc as its very nice then, maybe by 2 boxes of them to also make a standred mounted and a warboss on foot