PDA

View Full Version : GW should open a store in my area.

untimention
07-08-2007, 23:36
This forum is all about GW stores and a genuine case if you think GW should open one near you:

I live in Buckinghamshire... i lived in Chester when i started the hobby when i was around 13 yrs old i went all my days and weekends at the GW and it gave birth to me... however i have moved 3 times since then and i live in a little village called Stone.. there is no way GW should build one in Stone however local to me is Aylesbury they have 1 small indepentant stockist that is pants but popular and another in Thame which is closing down in early 2008.

The next local GW is in Oxford, high wycombe or watford these are all a great distance and leave people local to me without a place to call home.

a member of staff at GW oxford agreed with me aylesbury is a prime target for games workshop and i even have found the perfect location in the town center.

I would love a GW there and it would cause me to buy alot more, model, paint and play alot more... i havent played a game of warhammer or 40k properly for more then 2 years.

Games Workshop I NEED YOU

arkle
08-08-2007, 01:02
GW bricks and mortar shops are one of the main reasons for the continual price hikes due to the large expenses. If anything I think GW should cut back on stores to shopping centres and main cities where there is greater chance of matching the stores overhead. The highstreet is a declining market not just GW stores like HMV too, GW stores struggle compared to days gone by

I used to go to the Metro store when I was younger and its used to be rammed while Newcastle store these days can even be quiet on a Saturday. What I'am saying is if a city centre store with a large catchment area doesn't appear to perform that well, so the chances are a store in Aylesbury will struggle to perform. You have mentioned three surrounding areas with stores, by opening a store in Aylesbury their catchment area would be reduced with one set of gamers having to support fours stores rather than three.

Another thing is the fact you have failed to find a fellow gamer in your area in two years which doesn't exactly highlight a strong market demand for GW.

"GW opening stores willy nilly on the back of the LOTR bubble is one the main reasons I would suggest for their current financial hardships".

Sorry if I sound harsh but GW is a niche market due to societies low demand they should only build stores with a large market catchment area.

starlight
08-08-2007, 01:05
Better support for indies and clubs is a much more profitable way to go for GW.

asmodai_dark86
08-08-2007, 01:07
I think they had a buckinghamshire store at one point (infact im 90% sure they did).

If they did and its not there...

Sounds like they probably just relocated it to a stronger area (oxford)

ChrisAsmadi
08-08-2007, 01:22
I used to go to the Metro store when I was younger and its used to be rammed while Newcastle store these days can even be quiet on a Saturday. What I'am saying is if a city centre store with a large catchment area doesn't appear to perform that well, so the chances are a store in Aylesbury will struggle to perform. You have mentioned three surrounding areas with stores, by opening a store in Aylesbury their catchment area would be reduced with one set of gamers having to support fours stores rather than three.

From what I recall from when I went in there a couple of years back while on holiday, that Metro Centre Store is REALLY small. Might be misremembering, mind.

blongbling
08-08-2007, 08:57
From my understanding of GW they open stores based on geodemographic data of the best shopping/catchment areas, the same as most companies. their trade arm then fills in around those locatiosn with trade stores.

I think that every town would want a GW store but the reality is that GW could never do it. YOu would be better off finding an indie in your area or finding a store that could stock GW product and use the "i want a store" promotion that GW is running.

Arkle, i was wondering about your comment about GW opening stores willy nilly, how many stores did they open during the LotR period in the UK then...i cant remember that many opening at all...

Crube
08-08-2007, 09:13
There's also the thing GW are running at the moment to get people to recommend places or stores that may want to carry their product... Check out here (http://uk.games-workshop.com/features/iwantastore/1/)

Hellebore
08-08-2007, 09:17
Would it be better for GW to set up a very few stores, but make them battle bunkers with their entire range?

Rather than having a multitude of corner shops have a few supermarket style ones?

The flgs would then act as the corner shop...

Hellebore

arkle
08-08-2007, 10:56
From what I recall from when I went in there a couple of years back while on holiday, that Metro Centre Store is REALLY small. Might be misremembering, mind.

Yes it is but it used to be full to the brim every saturday with massive participation games and lively atmosphere.

Blong Bling-"Arkle, i was wondering about your comment about GW opening stores willy nilly, how many stores did they open during the LotR period in the UK then...i cant remember that many opening at all..."

That was a silly assumption I made. In fact between WD 250 and WD300 when I was having a GW gap the number of UK stores fell from 127 to 117 so sorry for that piece of fiction.

However it was well reported GW had to close 35 stores in Europe due to their poor performance. Where I live there are two stores within 20 minutes of each other Metro and Newcastle by having two stores they double there costs yet I find it hard to imagine two stores bring in that much more than one store for the area would.

asmodai_dark86
08-08-2007, 14:34
hellebore - the problem with that is that its not that effective (you'd basically have a store in major cities and no where else) and they already kinda do. Manchester for example carries practically the entire range whilst smaller stores carry a good selection.