PDA

View Full Version : FW Renegade Militia?

Necros
08-08-2007, 00:16
I've been thinking about investing in some of the renegade militia stuff that Forge World recently produced. Possibly starting a small army, 500 pts to start I guess.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything special about it? I mean, for games is it really just an imperial guard list? Or is there something special and I should really invest in the forge world book with the list for em in it? to me it doesn't seem like chaosy renegade types would be forming themselves up into diciplined platoons and stuff like that...

Joewrightgm
08-08-2007, 00:19
For the most part its Codex: Imperial Guard with chaos flavor. Alpha Legion Marines are a 0-1 Elites, and Ogryn Berserkers are brutal, but the rules as they stand make them very likely to OD on Combat Drugs.

Its definitely is one of the weaker lists from Forge World, but Vraks: Part the Second is set to blow that wide open.

You can do a very nifty Chaos Renegade list with the guard codex; its a matter of preference really.

Necros
08-08-2007, 01:39
well the thing is, I have a imperial guard army, and I don't want to make the same army with just different models.. I can't remember and don't have the book handy but is a platoon mandatory? or is it just the command hq that was mandatory? If I make it a guard army I'd like it to be not your typical gunline type or army but I just don't know any other ways of making one.. I know if I go for close combat units, they'll suck compared to almost all the others in the game.. or I could go for an armored company too I guess. I'm not expecting to play GTs with these guys anyway... but then, are there ever any troops at all in an armored company? Any ideas for a basic idea for the army that wouldn't be like a standard guard army, but still not get it's but kicked every time?

Belisarius
08-08-2007, 01:59
well one difference is the random LD on squads for the renegade list. Armored fist squads are always in reserve. The use of FW tanks is wide open as is artillery strikes from off board. The worker rabble is a nice fun fluff heavy troop entry. LD 5 2 attacks 4pts a model can be taken in a unit size of 20-50 with one special weapon for every ten in the mob. Renegade psychers are neat too, not effective IMO but add a nice bit of fluff to the army. all this is in adition to the afore mentioned little changes.

Joewrightgm
08-08-2007, 02:09
The platoon is not a 1+ choice, but you have to have at least 1 to have Conscripts or Armored Fists.

You can do a Renegade list out of the Guard Codex with Doctrines; I switch it up from time to time, and use these instead of my the FW list.

Close Order: +1 Ld and +1 I for free? Yes please.

Light Infantry: This will mess up your opponent big time when you declare that all your infantry units are setting up in Infiltrate, because you can put your units in cover in table quarters before your opponent can even move (unless they have scouts/infiltrators) Plus you can get a Sniper Rifle in squads, and that's just plane obnoxious.

Chem-Inhalers: I did this more out of flavor than real effectiveness. My units aren't testing their LD with modifiers, and are pinned rather than run when they fail a shooting casualty check.

Sanctioned Psykers: again, because the Forge World models are so splendid. That and there's nothing more satisfying when you roll Curse of the Machine Spirit and tag an enemy tank with it.

Other than that I gave all my command squads Commisars and Sanctioned Psykers to devil the opponent with. All my squad's have vox casters and a Master Vox on the command squad, so when I test Ld, It stacks with the Officers LD 9 with no modifiers.

Of course I throw in a Leman Russ and some Sentinels to grab quarters and generally make a nuisance of themselves before they all die horribly.

And as far as having fun with this list; Oh yeah. They are a really good time to play with/against, so no worries there.

Necros
08-08-2007, 02:18
Sounds good :) What about taking Grenadiers and having them count as stormtroopers and just using 3 units of them as my troops, maybe a chimera for each, and backing them up with HW platoons and lots of tanks? How do you represent renegade comissars? :)

this is the list (http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/index.php?showtopic=5892) I currently play with for my guard. It's lots of fun, pretty powerful, but usually kind of static. I'd rather get across the board and wreak havok instead of hide in the woods and shoot.. which is why I was thinking stormtroopers, slightly better armor save, etc. I was hoping to stay away from platoons if possible, because this army will get very expensive very fast if I'm not careful :)

Joewrightgm
08-08-2007, 02:46
I use the Renegade Enforcer Models, because they are off the chain, so to speak.

Hey man whatever you feel comfortable with. add some Chaos Gun muzzles to the Storm Troopers and BOOM you've got some Chaosified dudes right there.

Grenediers is a really cool doctrine set to have, because all of a sudden those 30 or so Hellguns (with targeters; PRE MEASURE!) become that much more lethal, as well as the fact they get 2 special weapons per squad.

Have fun with it though, that's the primary thing. Play them in a more aggressive manner; I've gotten tatooed by a Storm Trooper heavy list in Chimeras before, and it was really cool to see a guard army get up and stick to me in my own deployment zone.

Necros
08-08-2007, 03:27
yeah I was pretty much thinking stormtroopers w/ chimeras, backed up by hellhounds and russes .. this (http://ultrawerke.blogspot.com/) is my inspiration for the tanks (Scroll to the very bottom) :) Only more nurgley. Some drop troop meltagun vets might be nice too for popping their tanks from behind.

Commander Lance
08-08-2007, 03:56
The suggestions 'Joewrightgm' gave is what I pretty much do (save the Chem-inhalers and close order drill, though I do plan on adding them) and it works awesome. It kind of works a lot like the LATD list and it brings good results battle wise.

Panic
08-08-2007, 11:35
I've seem than on FW as well... but I thought they'd make the most perfect Blood Pact army...

Sceleris
08-08-2007, 12:52
Traitor IG can work.

Switching my LatD army to traitor IG with renegade Inquisitor.
Mutants = conscripts
Big Mutants = Ogryn
Traitors = regular IG

Inq & ret acts as a reasonable CC unit, some allied storm troopers give me some reasonable firepower and still have access to all the regular tanks etc.

Using the abhuman doctrines from WD303 is also a possibility - subs, slave levy or the "beastman" strain one (which I can remeber the exact name of) could all work.

You could use the FW milita figures for vets/stormtroopers if you didn't want to splash out a whole lot of them

Mr Feral
08-08-2007, 13:29
Traitor IG can work.

Switching my LatD army to traitor IG with renegade Inquisitor.
Mutants = conscripts
Big Mutants = Ogryn
Traitors = regular IG

Inq & ret acts as a reasonable CC unit, some allied storm troopers give me some reasonable firepower and still have access to all the regular tanks etc.

Using the abhuman doctrines from WD303 is also a possibility - subs, slave levy or the "beastman" strain one (which I can remeber the exact name of) could all work.

You could use the FW milita figures for vets/stormtroopers if you didn't want to splash out a whole lot of them

I agree completely with this one, because it's what I'm builidng something similar atm. I plan on using those FW Rogue Psykers as allied DH Daemonhosts :evilgrin: alongside a converted Rogue DH Inquisitor. I reckon that some of the new Necromunda Redemptionist parts would be suitable for Cultists if you wanted.

Necros
08-08-2007, 14:51
the more I think about it, I think I'm gonna just do a stormtrooper army :) if I'm not mistaken, I can use Grenadiers and have my 3 troop choices be stormtroopers, with a chimera and 2 plasma guns or melta guns they'll be 190 pts? my command HQ would also be tooled up for lots of action, and given a chimera too, all plasma guns possibly. They're just fun. But the bulk of the points would be russes & hellhounds, maybe sentinels but I would do them as landspeeder buggy conversions. Also if I take an inquisitor, that can get me 2 more units of stormtroopers, correct? I could possibly do some drop troop vets as well, I like them in my standard IG force a lot :)

I'm thinking I'd want a mobile shot the crap out of you kind of force, and if a russ gets blown up in turn 1, who cares, there's 2 more :)

Wolflord Havoc
08-08-2007, 15:43
I am starting to build up a renegade guard unit uisng the FW bodies etc and the IA5 list.

However I do not want it to emulate my exisitng guard Army (2 platoons,2 vet squads 2 tanks 1 hell hound, 1 command squad + 5 support squads).

A mate suggested making it all mechinised - So I am planning on making it chimera'd up.

Now I do know that an Imperial Guard Infantry Company is being released soon (like the Space Marine Battle Company) and I am hoping that it will include lots of chimeras as well as infantry.

I am also not going to use plasma guns - as in this units back ground they killed off the Ad mec cog boys when they turned into bad guys.

So I would suggest mech it up.