PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse: VDR What are you going to make?

ThorOdensson
08-08-2007, 05:54
With the rumored inclusion of VDR in Apocalypse, what new vehicle/variant are you thinking of making? How are you going to justify it? Are you even going to try? How are you going to convert/build it?

Example:

I'm thinking of creating up a new SM tank, that is to the LR as the Predator is to the Rhino.

Basically a Land Raider with no transport capability with a Super Heavy/Titan weapon mounted in/on a turret on top.
It will retain the weapon placements of the sponsons and Razorback turret.

Turret options would be

Volcano Cannon
Plasma Blastgun
Mega Battle Cannon

Sponson / Razorback turret options

TL Lascannons
TL Heavy Bolters
TL Heavy Flamers

Fluff: Recently rediscovered STC found by Marines of the Ultramarines Chapter (everyone else seems to discover these things)

As it is based of the Land Raider chassis it is taken to fall under the prohibition on Land Raider limiting it to Space Marine use only.

Due to its limited use for Marines based on their combat doctrines and also on the rarity of some of the components (turret weapons) Most chapter only have 1 to be used only in the most direst of situations.

Plans to Convert:
Scratch Build a new front plate replacing the assault ramp doors.
Scratch Build a turret, larger than the predator turret to incorporate the larger turret weapons with the ability to mount different weapons like the predator turret with the weapon placement to be to one side with a hatch on the other.
Scratch Build the turret weapons based off the Forge world ones
Alter the top plate of the Land Raider to create a larger hole in the center to mount the turret.

TL Heavy Flamer sponsons based off the Terminator heavy flamers.
TL Heavy Bolter sponsons based off the Razorback turret with the ammo feeds being converted to connect to an ammo box at the back of them.

cleansingfury
08-08-2007, 08:56
It will be a open topped vehicle with what ammounts to multiple twinlinked bolters along the side a heavy flamer on each side pintle mounted to rotate and have it be a fast vehicle! It can carry 6 people.

zealot!
08-08-2007, 09:06
welp, a friend of mine gave me an older eldar FW tank (circa 1989) and i'm gonna definately slap some bright lances on that in some fashion...

maybe i'll try making a few walkers for my WH or scratchbuilding something for only a few bucks...

mistformsquirrel
08-08-2007, 09:14
Land Speeders of various types mounting whatever crazy weapon combinations I can think of.

Off the top of my head though, I definitely want at least one Missile Launcher speeder, probably with an Autocannon.

I'd also like to do one who's only weapon is a TL-Lascannon.

Also just for the "That's ridiculous!" factor, a Heavy Land Speeder with as much extra armor as I could mount on it, 5-6 man Transport capacity, 2 side-mounted Assault Cannons, and an underslung TL Heavy Bolter.

Yes, it'd be an Assault Chopper style speeder <,<

As for justification - my Silverblades chapter hasn't got any vehicles *BUT* Speeders, as they lost their homeworld and with it all of their heavier vehicles. (Land speeders were the most popular with the Chapter due to its tactics - whenever possible they engage entirely mounted with Jump Packs - so there's a huge amount of speed necessary to support their advances)

Carlos
08-08-2007, 09:22
Nothing major really, just means I can use my Falcon with the D-cannon as well as a pulse laser conversion. It costs more but its worth the extra points.

the_yuk
08-08-2007, 09:37
Im going to do a range of light tanks for my guard based of rhino chasis. Starting with the stadard model, with a predator turret armed with a autocannon, co-ax stubber and missile launcher TOW style. Others will be a mortar version with the mortars in the troop compartment and no top hatch, a transport/ambulance/resuppply version, recon/command version with lots of aerials, cameras and what not on it.

cleansingfury
08-08-2007, 09:43
Stuff to supliment my marines.
First up is a Bombarder:
Immobile
AV11 all around
2x twinlinked BS 3 Autocannons

Its about 130 points. Figured hey if str 7 gives no armor saves then it will work perfectly if I set it in a good fire lane!

RampagingRavener
08-08-2007, 09:46
If I ever decide to build it, I'd work up some super-heavy Dark Eldar slave barge. As in, Av12, structure points, various feilds and the like, large transport capacity (like, 20 man) and very heavily armed. Perhaps four Dark Lances and a battery of Long-barreled Splinter Cannons.

*shrug* Way I see it, Dark Eldar have got to have some kind of heavier equippment for undertaking planet-size slave raids. Apocalypse would be a rather good time to represent that.

Baratos
08-08-2007, 10:13
It will be a winged Carnifex.

Savant
08-08-2007, 10:39
I'm going to take some sentinel legs, right, and just stick a vulcan megabolter where the driver compartment normally is. A giant gun on legs! Mini-titan!

ThorOdensson
08-08-2007, 10:45
I'm going to take some sentinel legs, right, and just stick a vulcan megabolter where the driver compartment normally is. A giant gun on legs! Mini-titan!

LOL that would be worth having my troops slaughtered by it just to see it.

Shibboleth
08-08-2007, 10:46
It'll have to be some kind of Chaos Super Heavy. I'm thinking of a Cauldron of Blood based on a large plastic skull I've got mounted on a Baneblade Chassis.

Also I'll make up some Chaos Land Speeders and Attack Bikes for my Renegade Marines.
It'll be the first Renegade Chapter to not have all their Land Speeder Squadrons simultaneously crash into the ground just because they turned...:angel:

Dicey
08-08-2007, 10:51
I would make a Marine assault vehicle, think LR front door but the capacity to hold 20+ marines. It would follow behind vindicators who breach the wall etc and the marine caddy ploughes through the gap deploying marines. it would be open topped so that assault marines can jump straight out. It will be very heavy armoured at the front with little armour at the rear. It would to all extents look like a WW2 landing craft but would be a skimmer/ aquatic so it can beach assault etc.

I know the imp guard have one in FW, but I would want one more marine like.

that or a Hellbore - Yeah!!

El_Phen
08-08-2007, 10:54
You know, until now I hadn't given this much thought. I think I'll do some Land Raider conversions, basically take the Las Cannon Turrets off, increase the carrying capacity and use it as a dedicated marine transport. Alternatively, I'll make a giant Ork Dreadnought/Robot/Mini Gargant-thingy from scratch use it to kill Titans etc.

MacVurrich
08-08-2007, 10:59
ORk (40k) Landa to go with the model I alreay got :)

gLOBS
08-08-2007, 11:00

Heh make it slow firing because of the blowback on the gun knocking the lil legs of its feet. it will take a turn getting back up.

Wyatt
08-08-2007, 11:01
@OP: Well, with the current VDR you couldn't give a medium vehicle a warmachine's weapon. I dunno if this is different in the Apocalypse VDR.

I'd probably try some sort of twin-linked Baneblade tank. :)

Despoiler
08-08-2007, 11:12
a Nurgle plague tower, that would be fun.

or...

chaotic demonic artillery... with legs and eyes and tenticles and stuff

Arhalien
08-08-2007, 11:27
Hmm; I've been thinking of ideas about an Inquisitorial medium transport (just theory as I have no army for it to go with :o), with av 13, 12 10, an assault ramp, forward firing Twin Linked Autocannon, Heavy Stubber Sponsons, BS4 and the ability to carry 10 models.

El Presedente
08-08-2007, 11:28
My own Macharius that dosn't cost 85.... with rocket pods.

mattjgilbert
08-08-2007, 11:31
Also just for the "That's ridiculous!" factor, a Heavy Land Speeder with as much extra armor as I could mount on it, 5-6 man Transport capacity, 2 side-mounted Assault Cannons, and an underslung TL Heavy Bolter.

Yes, it'd be an Assault Chopper style speeder <,<Sounds like a mini-Thunderhawk :D I hope you actually make one an post pics :)

IronWarsmith91
08-08-2007, 11:59
For my Vostroyan siege regiment, I'm gonna make me some immobile gun batteries. Perhaps with four earthshakers (kind of Thudd Gun style), or perhaps a Baneblade chassis with a TL titan-killing gun. I'm not a fan of the Shadowsword as is.
Maybe, just as a fun project, something like a land-battleship. It'd be a massive plasticard and PVC tank, and at this point it's equipped with:
2 TL Mega Vanquisher Cannons
2 TL Earthshakers
6 TL AA Long-barreled Autocannons
1 Titan-killer Mega Lascannon

Neknoh
08-08-2007, 12:18
Hrmmm... a Baneblade with the Macharious Vanquisher turret would be SWEET!!!

Another option would deffinately be creating a massive artillery unit, and yes, I was also thinking of a battleship-esque creation, I just love the idea of unleashing a broadside of Earthshaker or Vanquisher shots... imagine that, maybe... eight shots per turn from an offshore warship or a massive, lumbering flyer!!!

dcikgyurt
08-08-2007, 12:22
If I can get away with it in the new VDR, I'm after a chaos fast attack vehicle. I'm thinking a sort of landspeeder affair, with a reaper autocannon on each wing and daemonic possession. something like the Hell Talon from FW, but a skimmer.

MacVurrich
08-08-2007, 12:25
Hrmmm... a Baneblade with the Macharious Vanquisher turret would be SWEET!!!

Another option would deffinately be creating a massive artillery unit, and yes, I was also thinking of a battleship-esque creation, I just love the idea of unleashing a broadside of Earthshaker or Vanquisher shots... imagine that, maybe... eight shots per turn from an offshore warship or a massive, lumbering flyer!!!

Reminds me of the old Squat Epic Goliath Mega Cannon

Killgore
08-08-2007, 12:27
im going to compair the new Apocalypse VDR with the old 3rd ed VDR to see which rules set is best to make my Phantom titan

Dark messiah
08-08-2007, 12:31
well last night i spent a considerable amount of tim convertinjg an airfix kitm into an imperial navy fighter-bomber
autocannon,
2 multilasers
and whatever options the vdr has for bombs

Bunnahabhain
08-08-2007, 13:28
I'll start by making legal some of the more intersting units I already have- Open topped Ogryn assault chimera, Chimera based tank destroyer, and so on.

Hellebore
08-08-2007, 13:37
When the original vdr came out I built a light land raider with:

15 transport
2x twin-linked heavy bolter sponsons
1x twin-linked assault cannon turret
14/13/10 (or something like that)
souped-up engines (agile)

For my space wolves (mainly because I won a bitz box comp. with a land raider in it with two left sides. The staff laughed and said I'd have fun making a tank out of it).

I think I'll make some Eldar and Imperial knights. :cool:

Don't forget though, that this may not be as flexible as the original rules. It may turn out to be more of a modification system rather than a full blown design system.

Hellebore

Steel_Legion
08-08-2007, 13:38
hmm... Leviathan sounds temtping if VDR is in...

Travman
08-08-2007, 13:48
For Eldar:
I would go for vypers with D-cannon and vypers with vibrocannon.
Sqadrons of three each could cause much battlefield havoc.

For Tyranid:
Something like a leaping hth carnifex.

the_yuk
08-08-2007, 13:48
Isnt VDR for fun fluffy units not to create uber weapons of mass destruction, this seriously sounds like an arms race, or whos got the biggest gun on the smallest chasis. Although a battleship sounds mighty tempting...

El Presedente
08-08-2007, 13:51
this seriously sounds like an arms race,

God that wold be awesome, especially if impalmented into a mighty empires style campaign, after all its the people with the biggest factorys that win wars.

Randy
08-08-2007, 13:51
VDR is like a codex - no matter who writes it or how much time they spend on it, someone's going to break it and make something beasty.

Neknoh
08-08-2007, 13:55
Isnt VDR for fun fluffy units not to create uber weapons of mass destruction

Tell that to the guy who designed the flower template :p

mistformsquirrel
08-08-2007, 14:02
Sounds like a mini-Thunderhawk :D I hope you actually make one an post pics :)

I think I will honestly - I have a couple old F14s lying around that I can easily see converting. Just gotta wait till my B-day rolls around in a couple weeks to get the plasticard. (Well or my job *might* come through - but I suspect that's doubtful at this stage. I hate waiting for callbacks!)

I think I'ma VDR one up right now, just to see how much it weighs in at <,< probably not *practical* - but who cares? Fun!

guillimansknight
08-08-2007, 14:22
a hunter killer platform it needs to be towed/pushed no vic points for destroying it and it has 4 HK missles it cost 50pts

that and an assult drop pod

maybe a near indestrucable LR............................

ChrisAsmadi
08-08-2007, 14:30
A deep striking immobile mini-pylon for my necrons, and possibly a skimmer barge transport.

mistformsquirrel
08-08-2007, 14:34
Ok, finished VDRing my speeder/transport.

180pts <X_X>; Eek! But then, its for fun, and it has great fluff potential within my army. Each Stormspeeder (as I've dubbed them) can carry a Combat Squad right into the heart of the enemy, some of the few Silverblades who'd deploy as Tactical Marines. Also should make a real mess of any infantry that are causing trouble for the assault troops.

Hellebore
08-08-2007, 15:17
If it's not in the book, I'll definitely be VDRing the Phantom titan I'm in the process of sculpting.

Hellebore

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
08-08-2007, 15:24
A chaos knight titan-clone-thing with missile launchers galore! (and snippy arms for snippy fun-fun!)

killa kan kaus
08-08-2007, 17:00
mmmmhm mini-gargant!

The Anarchist
08-08-2007, 17:45
i think a walker with 4 plasma guns slung underneath will be a good idea, scare some Smurf Players a bit :D also tempted to get a walker with 4 assult cannons but some one will inevitable shout the C word.
alternativly sme sort of massive vehicle that can drop off a few sentinals whilst occasionaly dropping bombs will have to be looked into

a-w-a
08-08-2007, 18:12
I am just ordering the parts to construct a couple of anti-horde Land Raiders - using the sponsons from the FW LR Promethius. The main chassis will have two additional razorback mounts fitted on the top chassis - to give 3 T/L weapons mounts. So any combination of 3 T/L Heavy Bolters, T/L Lascannons or T/L Assault Cannons. That should help keep the neighbourhood free form the riff-raff.

Flagg07
08-08-2007, 18:16
BB Chasis with Quad earth shakers

Neknoh
08-08-2007, 18:25
. . . pain much?

Don't forget the hull mounted plasma if possible :p

TheOverlord
08-08-2007, 18:34
I was thinking of something for a LatD super heavy tank, using the new plastic baneblade for the hull. Remove the cannons, replace it with 2 inferno cannons spewing toxic poisons, and putting 3 sponsons on the sides, with TL heavy bolters on each sponson with reaper autocannons on the top of said sponsons. And put spinning chains attached with spiked iron balls onto the front to count as dozer blades :evilgrin: Put a throne of bodies, spikes and pipe organs onto the back of the hull and we have a infantry mowing palanquin of nurgle :skull:

br00n0
08-08-2007, 18:49
Simple! I'll bring back the good old Lascannon w/ twin-linked Plasma Gun Razorback turret! Yay! Good thing I did't throw my old turrets in the garbage! (who would?)

B.

Joewrightgm
08-08-2007, 19:01
I'll be bringing the heat with quadruple Plasma Cannon Dark Angle Land Raider. Possibly with Plasma Cannon Sponsons, but that's just excessive . . .

Travman
08-08-2007, 19:08
I'll be bringing the heat with quadruple Plasma Cannon Dark Angle Land Raider. Possibly with Plasma Cannon Sponsons, but that's just excessive . . .

What acute Dark Angle.

Travman
08-08-2007, 19:09

Dark Angles are obtuse!

VetSgtNamaan
08-08-2007, 19:21
I was thinking of making an titan style penitent engine with a crazy amount og flamers and hvy bolters and cc potential.

From Shadows
08-08-2007, 19:28
All i can think is that GW is sitting there going CHA-CHING$$$$$.

Huw_Dawson
08-08-2007, 19:42
If I ever get down to my Relictor's force, It would have to be a land raider based ordinance weapon mount, with autocannon sponsons. Relictors are small in number, so they can't exactly waste man power on breaking through walls and those big gribbly daemons on top of them, can they? They also have a limit to what they can rip out of their space ships for parts, so lascannons are off the menu for something like this.

- Huw

PS: I <3 Relictors. :D

muskrat
08-08-2007, 19:43
Built a few things already...seems I've been preparing for apocalypse for a while without knowing :)

Scout Titan, TL autocanon, 2x missile launcher, megabolter, 2x dread CCW, 2x heavy flamers.

Demonic Walker, 2x autocannon, 2x lascannon, battlecannon, tl lascannon.

Whirlwind-esque tank, built from havoc missile launcher+scratchbuilt turret, multimelta w/coaxial TL bolters

Titan Transport- still deciding on it's armaments, but rest assured, there will be many. Able to transport any of the above, or 20 troops, flyer.

Apache Longbow Fighter- 2 TL lascannons, 4 rockets, 2 missile launchers, heavy bolter...sadly the model is going to be not as cool, as it's supposed to be daemonically possessed, and no more of that in new Chaos...

fluff: I'm chaos. I take what I need, and make it into something killy.

Puffin Magician
08-08-2007, 20:10
Isn't the VDR for fun fluffy units, not to create uber weapons of mass destruction?That's definitely the intent, yes. It's clearly been missed by some.

...probably not *practical* - but who cares? Fun!Fun, like many things, is in the eye of the beholder. A good rule of thumb for the VDR is "Would you like facing something that stupid?" Land Speeders don't need more than two weapons systems, and Land Raiders don't need more than one Ordnance weapon; especially when each of them have as many upgrades as you can possibly tack on. Try to keep within the spirit of the game and the background/theme/style of your army.

Stuff to VDR? Pretty much anything and everything from Epic: 40,000 and fluff that's larger than a Chimera. Leviathans, Cyclopses, Banelords, MkI Marauder Fighter-Bombers, BFG fighters...

WallWeasels
08-08-2007, 20:17
:x Maybe a pentinent engine that doesn't suck 8D

muskrat
08-08-2007, 20:18
I keep to the background of my army- literally, we're a renegade force of looters. We do take what we need, and we make ramshackle units- none of the above are particularly armored well, for instance, despite their super death killiness.

Also, I kept to the VDR aspect- I built every one of these things before making the rules, something I think is important- build your creations, let your bits flow- then make the rules for it.

Steel_Legion
08-08-2007, 20:19
Sentinals with vanquisher cannons... :D Nah, might make a Chimedon or something else fun

WallWeasels
08-08-2007, 20:21
Sentinals with vanquisher cannons... :D Nah, might make a Chimedon or something else fun
:x How about you don't make scout-moving ordnance weapons :p

Mozzamanx
08-08-2007, 20:21
A big lumbering walker for chaos, sort of like a heavy defiler that carries troops, with a frikkin huge gun running across the top.

Kinda like this:
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/thumb/0/0a/ATTE-ST.jpg/200px-ATTE-ST.jpg

muskrat
08-08-2007, 20:23
..........GANK

I have my new project.

race you, mozza!

Dreachon
08-08-2007, 20:28
1. Some of the huge artillery weapons the IW have in their novels.
2. 40K version of the decimator
3. possibly 40K deatwheels.
4. more chaos deamonengines like an AA defiler with hydra armerment.
5. some deamonpowered siege-engines
6. more chaos weaponry that will fit the theme of the IW.

WallWeasels
08-08-2007, 20:34
1. Some of the huge artillery weapons the IW have in their novels.
2. 40K version of the decimator
3. possibly 40K deatwheels.
4. more chaos deamonengines like an AA defiler with hydra armerment.
5. some deamonpowered siege-engines
6. more chaos weaponry that will fit the theme of the IW.
Honestly "hellcannon" seems to apply to all of those. Haha :p

Mozzamanx
08-08-2007, 20:42
Ooo, ooo, can i have another go? I just thought'o something cool..

A mini revenant-transformer-crisis mobile for Tau, like a super battlesuit thats basically a Gundam Wing model!

PS- cheers for the support Muskrat, game on!

mistformsquirrel
08-08-2007, 20:44
That's definitely the intent, yes. It's clearly been missed by some.
Fun, like many things, is in the eye of the beholder. A good rule of thumb for the VDR is "Would you like facing something that stupid?" Land Speeders don't need more than two weapons systems, and Land Raiders don't need more than one Ordnance weapon; especially when each of them have as many upgrades as you can possibly tack on. Try to keep within the spirit of the game and the background/theme/style of your army.

Stuff to VDR? Pretty much anything and everything from Epic: 40,000 and fluff that's larger than a Chimera. Leviathans, Cyclopses, Banelords, MkI Marauder Fighter-Bombers, BFG fighters...

Err, why feel limited to what's already established? I thought the idea was to design your *OWN* vehicles? The prices are intended to be over-costed significantly as well; and heck, in the new BA codex Land Speeders can have 3 weapons.

For me at least - bring on whatever crazy contraption you want. The only thing - the ONLY thing I ask, is that people not go out of their way to find loopholes where you can get a stupidly powerful weapon system significantly undercosted.

(Like putting a Vanquisher on a Rhino chassis for instance)

But coming up with something fun, fluffy in the context of whatever you are playing, and yes - effective, should not be a problem so long as you aren't hunting for exploitive things.

muskrat
08-08-2007, 20:45
I'm thinking predator turret, defiler legs, and a plasticard hull- wouldn't be too hard, actually.

Star Wars models are going to be bought in excess, come to think of it. lots of good stuff. That Gundam style thing is a good idea too- hehe...get nasty and use Heavy Arms from Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. 2 TL longbarrel Asscannons...ha!

Son of Makuta
08-08-2007, 21:01
chaotic demonic artillery... with legs and eyes and tenticles and stuff

And that's just the bullets. :D

Myself, I've got a couple of ideas in my head at the moment. When I eventually start my Chaos army I'm gonna scratch build a 6"ish tall demi-titan, called a Desecrator. Weapons similar to a baneblade, but with a kind of super turbo laser instead of a battle cannon (mega vanquisher gun) and mini vulcan bolters instead of heavy bolters 'cos they look better (which'll have to be twin linked assault cannons, unfortunately).

Not sure what I'm gonna do for the Eldar yet, although if I get the cash I'll make a Heavy Revenant - 2 mega prism cannons, a bunch of blast-template reaper missiles and a Shadow Weaver battery!

As for the 'nids, I imagine I'll have an idea every week, but my first one is: some kind of drop bunker (called a Fexhole so far, but I'll need a good name!) It deep strikes in and sits there, immobile. it's armed with a bundle of devourers or something and a bellyful of Genestealers - it sits on an objective and defends it, Tyranid surgical insertions FTW!

El Presedente
08-08-2007, 21:02
It'd be great for creating landing craft for beach landings

mistformsquirrel
08-08-2007, 21:23
Having rethought my afformentioned speeder transport - I came out with one thats AV 12/11/11, Fast (Tank type), 10 transport slots, 2 Short-barrel Heavy Bolters (The door guns), and 3 Storm Bolters (the underslung chaingun); all for 155pts.

Expensive for a transport, but fast, tough, and definitely suited to my chapter's mode of war. A perfect way for me to deploy Tactical squads, which otherwise really don't suit the nature or character of the Silverblades. Huzzah! >.>

Captain Micha
08-08-2007, 21:28
the Ultra Crusader. based off of yes a Land raider. but has twin linked earth shakers, along with a hull mounted assault cannon, and then the traditional storm bolters for the sponsons...

am I a sick sick man?

and yes this template was 'discovered' by the you guessed it Bts! ... j/k The Ultramarines.

muskrat
08-08-2007, 22:37
mist- love that transport idea, might steal it and turn it into a flyer.

btw, your sig is gold.

Col.Gravis
08-08-2007, 22:39
Artillery, oh yes, Artillery, lots of it ;)

Puffin Magician
08-08-2007, 22:53
Err, why feel limited to what's already established? I thought the idea was to design your *OWN* vehicles?A misunderstanding? I meant that I would VDR vehicles from Epic, because I like the background for most of them and they never have existed in 40k, so it'd be cool to see. I don't have a problem with anyone making up their own VDRs as long as they're not trying to be powergamey bastards with them. No, your Death Company doesn't need the Astartes version of a Gorgon. Nothing against anyone here specifically, but since the original VDR were released I've seen some very disgusting ideas that are a disgrace to the game and the background.

...heck, in the new BA codex Land Speeders can have 3 weapons.Yes, but none of them are gatling Autocannons or Battle Cannons.

The only thing I ask is that people not go out of their way to find loopholes where you can get a stupidly powerful weapon system significantly undercosted.Unfortunately that's usually what happens, in the design stages at least.

(Like putting a Vanquisher on a Rhino chassis for instance)Actually that's one of the "lesser evils" as I see it. Someone wants to pay 120pts for a single cannon on a paperthin chassis? Be my guest, and expect to see a Hunter-Killer Missile within the first 2 turns. At least it's an accidental homage to the Sabre Tank Hunter from way, way back.

Neknoh
08-08-2007, 23:01
. . . :eek:

I can see the Imperial Armies coming up... ATST's!!!

mistformsquirrel
08-08-2007, 23:08
A misunderstanding? I meant that I would VDR vehicles from Epic, because I like the background for most of them and they never have existed in 40k, so it'd be cool to see. I don't have a problem with anyone making up their own VDRs as long as they're not trying to be powergamey bastards with them. No, your Death Company doesn't need the Astartes version of a Gorgon. Nothing against anyone here specifically, but since the original VDR were released I've seen some very disgusting ideas that are a disgrace to the game and the background.
Yes, but none of them are gatling Autocannons or Battle Cannons.
Unfortunately that's usually what happens, in the design stages at least.

Actually that's one of the "lesser evils" as I see it. Someone wants to pay 120pts for a single cannon on a paperthin chassis? Be my guest, and expect to see a Hunter-Killer Missile within the first 2 turns. At least it's an accidental homage to the Sabre Tank Hunter from way, way back.

Oh I see... I just misunderstood <x.x> me am sorry!

The reason I mentioned the Vanquisher-on-a-Rhino was primarily because with a 96" range, and a cost of around 90pts or thereabouts, you've got an absolutely lethal tank killer that *most* return fire just won't be able to reach at all. Of course, on a smaller board the range won't protect it; but on a huge Apocalypse size one... Granted, a Hunter-Killer has an excellent chance of making a kill like that, and I didn't even think of that honestly.

Alot of the Speeder armaments here I think are intentionally a "This is absolutely ridiculous!" kind of things. I doubt anyone *REALLY* intends to use a Vanquisher or Earth Shaker on a Land Speeder; even if you could get away with it. That said, some weapon options, like a gatling autocannon actually make quite a bit of sense for a speeder's role. Just like I said, loopholes are the main thing to be avoided. If you VDR something and think "This is way too good for the points I'm paying" - it's likely a safe bet you aught not use it <,<;

Course I know not everyone is so understanding; but then thats why VDR are opposing player's permission eh?

mistformsquirrel
08-08-2007, 23:09
mist- love that transport idea, might steal it and turn it into a flyer.

btw, your sig is gold.

Danke! <^_^> Much appreciated hehe; steal away too, anything I say or come up with on these boards is open season as far as I'm concerned <,< I love credit where I can get it <'x'> But really, its just cool to hear someone likes one of my ideas.

(I'm one of those crazy folks who has *endless* ideas... most of them less than good <,< but when I get one right its nice to hear it!)

Outlaw289
08-08-2007, 23:12
Stuff to supliment my marines.
First up is a Bombarder:
Immobile
AV11 all around
2x twinlinked BS 3 Autocannons

Its about 130 points. Figured hey if str 7 gives no armor saves then it will work perfectly if I set it in a good fire lane!

For 135 points you can get an Exterminator with a twinlinked autocannon and 3x heavy bolters. Heavier armor, mobile, and better firepower.

thewizardofoz
08-08-2007, 23:21
i'll make a MBT to replace the leman russ in my guard armies and a tankette that could count as sentinels in normal games.

the MBT would basicly be a leman russ with more options and some other goodies to be determined.

i'ld also to some stuff for my orks and tau, cuz i have to be fair.

mistformsquirrel
08-08-2007, 23:26
Something else I'll be doing when I get enough money to start a second or third army:

Start a "Subtitan" Legion. The idea being that the majority of vehicles in the army are Land Raider Crusaders (mocked up as walkers), then VDRing the heavier subtitans all the way up to a couple "true" Titans of my own design.

If for nothing else than the excuse to wield a 500pt model with just one gun <,< Mmm... Gatling Mega Blast Assault Cannon, you are delicious! (That gun costs literally *hundreds* of points on its own <,< and well it should! 4d3 Str 7 AP3 shots, rending, and it throws out templates every time <'x'> Oh sure, its not *practical* to have a single gun on a titan... but just imagine the look on someone's face the one time it actually worked <'o'> Mwahahaha...)

Ok I doubt I'd *REALLY* do that last one >.> but you get the idea - designing and building my own set of titans <. .> Mmmhmmm... fantastic!

Iron Father
09-08-2007, 06:04
My only two ideas were a Dread with 2 twin linked, gatling assault cannons, a potential 24 rending shots off a single dread, now thats assault cannon spam....

other idea was a tunneling weapons platform, something cheap to DS in and pop a tank or unit or something.

shaso_iceborn
09-08-2007, 06:44
I like the Idea of a Super heavy skimmer for tau with 4 Mega (big blast always) railguns in a kinda x wing style pattern. think I would call it a "Mako" then lots of upgraded "mega" burst cannons for sponsors. with maybe 4-5 structure pts. maybe with the option to transform into a walker.

unclejimbo827
09-08-2007, 07:10
mammoth tank ala C&C

cleansingfury
09-08-2007, 07:29
An actual idea of mine:
AV 10 fast skimmer
Twin linked Assault Cannon on top
2 twin linked bolters on each side
2 heavy flamers

The heavy flamers are covering the main door out so that your enemy cannot cause your passengers to be unable to get out.

WarbossKurgan
10-08-2007, 11:58
I have a few things I want to do (but probably never will...):

A Landa (big enough to carry 50+ Boyz) with Fight-Bomma escort
A Blasta Bommer (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/aiorcbommer.htm) (from AI)
A Mek-Boy Stompa (with Hypa-Zzap Gun and Close Combat weapon/s)
A Battery of 3 Self-Propelled Soopa Gunz (tracked chassis with Orky Macro Cannons)
Big Trukks (transports with room for 20+ Boyz)
Da-Mega Krawler (um... I'll just convert my car then...)

Ork Landa to go with the model I already got :)
You better get some pics of that online somewhere soon! :eek:

El Presedente
10-08-2007, 12:48
A legged artiliry platform, probably a sentinal mounted earthshaker cannon

guillimansknight
10-08-2007, 14:13
personaly i think VDR should NOT be allowed uber anti MEQ gear (sorry there is just too much anti MEQ out there for my liking) because it would wipe out MEQ armies for good then everyone would just switch to anti GEQ and the pendulm would swing back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth ...................................

you get the idea

also: range weapons for SM, no more artillery slaughter

Darnok
10-08-2007, 14:24
I'll have a closer look at the rules to see what I have to update with my existing VDR-models. I have a scratchbuild Squiggoth, a walker like the one from SW Episode 2 (it's actually that model, converted and orkified), and currently my WIP Gargant; the latter goes for 2000 point with the current VDR, I'll wait and see what I can make with the model under the new rules. If they don't work properly, I'll still use the old VDR. :)

Arhalien
10-08-2007, 17:19
I've been thinking about something else:
A guard vehicle, based on the chimera chassis, with av 13/11/10, TL HB turret, HB sponsons and hull mounted HB, and instead of having transport capacity it mounts a heavy mortar that can fire through the top fire port :D

ChrisAsmadi
10-08-2007, 19:10
personaly i think VDR should NOT be allowed uber anti MEQ gear (sorry there is just too much anti MEQ out there for my liking) because it would wipe out MEQ armies for good then everyone would just switch to anti GEQ and the pendulm would swing back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth ...................................

you get the idea

also: range weapons for SM, no more artillery slaughter

Allowing Anti-GEQ weaponry and not Anti-MEQ weaponry on the VDR is unfair. After all, it's not unlikely that some races would have a vehicle designed as anti-heavy infantry. Something like a twin-plasma Razorback would be interesting.

TheDarkArg
10-08-2007, 19:22
Keeping in the vein of brining back old Epic designs I've been toying with ideas for a Silver Tower of Tzeentch and several other heavy/super heavy skimmer type vehicles.

I'm not sure what I'll arm them with, but a couple of TL-reapers, a bundle of flamer template (or the apoc hellfire version) weapons and then the protective power they used to give in epic. As I recall 2+ of them formed a force field that protected troops behind them. Given the new chaos rules I'll probably have it count as an Icon of Tzeentch for units behind the "wall". But it'd only reach 12-18 inches to the next tower and only for already marked Tzeentchen units. If nothing else, it'd make for some really interesting tactics.

And then there's the Warhawk Titan I've always wanted to do. But thats a simple case of converting a warhound to have a suitible head to fit in with my thousand sons and not look like I poached it from the blood god.

moose
10-08-2007, 21:04
The leader of my dark eldar slave raid force for apocolypse is...

The Dark Pheonix:
Skimmer
AV: 14,14,14
BS4
Open Topped
Transports 11: [archite + 10 wyches]
12 Stingers: 24" S4 AP5 Assault 6 (72 shots!)
301pts

Stingers are awesome for 10pts each! It's not deisgned for anti-tank my many ravagers will be doing that! This is purely a slave capturing and anti-infantry unit!

Stella Cadente
11-08-2007, 01:58
well since the Terminus sucks harder than a pensioner on crack, I'll create a chaos Land raider, with sponson twin linked autocannons, and a front twin linked autocannon, made for heavy fire support but still mobile, with a capacity of 12 power armoured, and 6 terminators, that will give you room for a 10 man power armoured squad and termi lord, or 5 man termi squad and termi lord

Tehkonrad
11-08-2007, 02:51
some ideas i will probs never make
SUPA-SMASHA-ZzAPPA!: basicly a gargant with a gigantic looted orbital defence laser stuck to it pew-pew!
THE REAPER: a huge necron thing witch looka similar to a big necron warrior but has a huge giga-gauss sytche that ownzors eldar
oh and it has monoliths for feet!
THE AS YET UNNAMED BUT AWESOME FLYER: A tank used exclusivley by the dark sentinels it was based on a thunderhawk and has a huge amount of plasma-ey goodness and is piloted by two librarians who use the mind powers to stop the thing sponatealusy exploding.

Sons of Russ
11-08-2007, 03:53
My humble version of the Landraider Terminus:

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/JOHNB1977/DSC_0048.jpg

4x Twinlinked Lascannons

(top pair will be on a telescoping mount that will allow it to fire over obstructions while rest of tank stay out of LOS.

Turret that fires in this way will remain up and exposed till the end of the opponents turn after firing.....

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/JOHNB1977/DSC_0046.jpg

victorpofa
11-08-2007, 04:05
I'll just be making a sheet for the Griffon mortar tank I just won on ebay :)

adreal
11-08-2007, 04:37
Well it depends on what datasheets we get in the book, but I'll be using the terminius and helios land raiders

I might do some off the rhino chassis (different razorbacks/pred's) if we could make bikers I'de do a attack bike with assault cannon, not for the redning but because I rekon the attack bike should have an assault cannon (rather then say a multi melta), wouldn't mind doing some stuff with land speeders, auto cannons and such I guess.

An open topped transport, or evwen a lighter tank with assault ramp would be fun, but to be larger then ten man it would have to be a LR chassis, and ten man is too small ( I play dark angels so I can't have 9 man squads)

Also for the DE player that has the 14/14/14 tank, the original VDR said that it would be pointless for eldar to use that much armour, as thier main anti tank gun (the lances) would nulify the bonuses of the 14 armour, so why would they use it?

I can see necron players loving this, getting to build mad wacky vechiles that are cheaper then the monolith

Ddraiglais
11-08-2007, 05:39
I hope they have some restrictions. A sentinal with an earthshaker? The recoil would destroy it. A land raider with a volcano cannon sounds iffy. A shadowsword can barely power it. There's no way you could cram a generator big enough to shoot the volcano cannon. There needs to be a common sense rule with the VDR rules.

I'm thinking the new VDR would be great to bring back some of the old Epic Space Marine stuff. A deathstrike missile could be cool. I loved lords of battle. There's enough cools stuff there.

Neknoh
11-08-2007, 07:51
Hrmmm... finally starting to come up with something nice...

A giant zeppelin-esque creation, counts as "Lumbering", "Skimmer" and "super heavy", cannot Tank Shock, does not roll an extra die when moving.

AV:

14, 14, 14

Structure Points:

something like... 4 or 5

Now, for the armament, I was thinking of either 8 Vanquisher Cannons or 8 Eartshaker Cannons or 8 Plasma Cannons. Mounted in groups of 4 or 2.

They should work as a "Barrage" weapon in those groups.

I have no idea what a behemoth like this would cost, but it would be A, huge, and B, devastating.

Hellebore
11-08-2007, 09:10
Sounds like and overlord airship to me :cool:

I'll be working along similar lines when I do up some Varyngr superheavy vehicles based on the old Squat ones (like the overlord, cyclops, land train etc).

Hellebore

Neknoh
11-08-2007, 10:20
Well, I'm currently in a phase of something like "OMG, Airships ROXXORZ!!!111!!!" :angel: recently rewatched the first eight episodes of Last Exile namely ;)

Failing all else, it will be modelled more like a massive hulking spaceship, ala the Orion from Stargate Atlantis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Orion_over_Taranis_%28Inferno%29.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Orion3.jpg

Or something from Last Exile... couldn't find pics though :(

Anyhow, massive, lumbering airship that fires salvo after salvo of gigantic artillery pieces

misterboff
11-08-2007, 14:19
As an Ork player, I think it would be interesting to try and bring some old Epic classics over into 40k:

Gut Rippa
Spleen Rippa
Lungbursta
Bowel Burna
Gobsmasha
Speedsta
Bone Breaka
Brain Crusha
Skull Hamma
Giblet Grinda

Plenty of conversion opportunities there for an Orky Armoured Company...

misterboff

elfman
11-08-2007, 14:46
I want to make a griffon but with a thudd gun instead of a heavy mortar, like the idea of a demolisher set up in a similar way. Also had an idea for a command chimera, meant to be to the chimera what a razorback is to a rhino, was thinking twin-linked turrent weapon (ml, las, autocannon or hb) hull weapon and a turret ml. May VDR a heavy chimera with side armour 11. Want to make a landspeeder tempest with twin-linked missile launchers not those rubbish cyclones. Finally if possible i'm going to make my fix for the land raider, give it 72" range ap1 lascannon, as far as i'm concerned its all the lr has ever needed in v3+4, none of this terminus nonsense.

Ravenheart
12-08-2007, 21:33
As a Blood Angel player, I'm aiming for a Baal Baneblade. And you know how things from Baal tend to look like. :evilgrin:

Turrent: Vulacan Mega Bolter (longbarreled, twinlinked)
Side: twinlinked assult cannons & autocannon
Front: twinlinked assult cannons & massive flame thrower

It's very dependant on close range, but it rends! :evilgrin:

MacVurrich
16-08-2007, 18:38
I have a few things I want to do (but probably never will...):

A Landa (big enough to carry 50+ Boyz) with Fight-Bomma escort
A Blasta Bommer (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/aiorcbommer.htm) (from AI)
A Mek-Boy Stompa (with Hypa-Zzap Gun and Close Combat weapon/s)
A Battery of 3 Self-Propelled Soopa Gunz (tracked chassis with Orky Macro Cannons)
Big Trukks (transports with room for 20+ Boyz)
Da-Mega Krawler (um... I'll just convert my car then...)

You better get some pics of that online somewhere soon! :eek:

nearly ready to paint
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/macvurrich/orklanda.jpg

Oliver Twist
16-08-2007, 19:06
I'll end up just building a plain and simple chaos baneblade, but what I'd really love to do is build a huge chaos artillery piece based of the baneblade, but so that the cannon is so large it recoils through the turret, that is the turret is not inclusive, its only like the tower thing in the right of the GW version's turret and this massive cannon mounted to the left, so that when it fires the thing flings backwards and the breach is open right above the exhausts on the GW bb. Then, a certain chaos creature with large claws comes along, picks up the new shell, and reloads the cannon. Alternativly, just have a defiler claw mounted on an engineering rhino to pick up shells, yeah, thats what I'd do, I'd have this massive artillery piece there, and then the vehicle with the crane/claw mounted in it, like an open top rhino complete with a bucket seat for the operator (either corrupted mechanicus or marine) and then many open topped/exposed rear rhinos floating around that are filled with shells, you know, like one or two per rhino cause the shells are so big. Or, I could do this as an admech creation, but it'd be cooler as a black legion or iron legion super siege machine.

L192837465
16-08-2007, 19:42
i'd make a real close combat chaos dreadnought. 14 front armour, 11 side, 10 rear, 7 attacks, and ws5, s10 with fleet of claw.

Bunnahabhain
16-08-2007, 19:51
Upgrade the existing super heavies to 14/14/13. They should have better armour than they currently do.

Khornies & milk
14-10-2007, 10:13
Sorry to drag this thread back to the front page, but I need some suggestions on a fair points cost for the following Baneblade conversion, and didn't really want to start a new thread.
Mods can erase my post if it's not a viable reason to do so.

Imagine a Baneblade with SoB Crew, so every weapon will be BS4. I am also wanting to put the Immolators twin-linked Heavy Flamers where the p/m Stubber would go.
Everything else is standard BB Weaponry.
So what is a fair points cost for these 'upgrades' - BS4 been the main point of contention. My guess would be 10-15 points for each weapon system-so 8 x 10-15 pts., or am I way off.
Thanks for any help.