PDA

View Full Version : Waaagh! spell and Animosity

Steeve
08-08-2007, 12:51
I had a unit of Spider riders squabbling when I cast the Waaagh! spell.

Are the squabbling Spiders subject to this spell?

We decided Animosity prevails and played it accordingly.

Tutore
08-08-2007, 13:05
Let me know if I interpreted correctly your post.

Your turn begins and a unit of Spider Riders squabbles.

Afterwards, in the same turn, one of your shamans successfully casts the "Waagh!" spell.

According to the spell, EVERY unit which isn't fleeing moves 2d6 inches towards the next enemy. Thus, the spell doesn't care if one of your units squabbled earlier the same turn. They all move.

Steeve
08-08-2007, 13:36
Let me know if I interpreted correctly your post.

You did.

According to the spell, EVERY unit which isn't fleeing moves 2d6 inches towards the next enemy.

Actually, it says every unbroken unit moves 2d6 inches forward.

Initially I thought that too, BUT Amimosity says they do nothing for this turn.

These two things conflict, which should prevail?

Our decision was based on how elemental Animosity is to Orcs & Goblins and how early it occurs in the turn sequence.

EvC
08-08-2007, 14:08
Well, magic is magic, so by its very nature it lets units do things that they otherwise wouldn't be able to do (The spell even affects Fanatics!). So I'd say it lets the squabbling units move forward.

winter has ended
08-08-2007, 14:17
it says they cant do anything, but dosnt say they arnt affected by a spell, id say they still move

Mouse_NJ
08-08-2007, 14:50
I play this identically with my orc/goblins army. Even if a unit squabbles there's nothing stopping it from running forward in a waagh spell.

knightime98
10-08-2007, 06:50
Actually, it says every unbroken unit moves 2d6 inches forward.

Initially I thought that too, BUT Amimosity says they do nothing for this turn.

Our unit

So, let me get this straight...

When your turn starts what do you do???

You roll for animosity and then what do you do...

You abide by its affects.... right!

Hmmm....

So, when the magic phase comes around what do you do...

You cast spells...

You abide by its affects... right!!

The magic phase is after animosity and the spider riders are NOT broken....
They get filled with WAAAGGGHHHH and are pressed forward into play...
They forget about squabble with their friends flooding forward to steal their glory!!! They can't have that......

In this case, magic supercedes the animosity rule....

Steeve
10-08-2007, 12:23
So, let me get this straight...

When your turn starts what do you do???

You roll for animosity and then what do you do...

You abide by its affects.... right!

Hmmm....

So, when the magic phase comes around what do you do...

You cast spells...

You abide by its affects... right!!

The magic phase is after animosity and the spider riders are NOT broken....
They get filled with WAAAGGGHHHH and are pressed forward into play...
They forget about squabble with their friends flooding forward to steal their glory!!! They can't have that......

In this case, magic supercedes the animosity rule....

This was precisely my take, however I allowed myself to persuaded by the other line of reasoning mentioned above, it made sense too. Is is stated somewhere in a faq or in the BRB that order matters, or is this more of an accepted convention rather than a rule.

There was one other reason in support of the 'Animosity Prevails' thinking;
If a Waaagh! is called, Animosity can still prevail if a 1 is rolled, supporting the notion that Animosity overcomes the passion of the Waaagh!. (Although this still supports the order argument).

I'm still thinking the spell should prevail, BUT to be fair I can't ignore the logic of the other way of thinking.

Bortus
11-08-2007, 04:32
Steeve I see your logic and your right not to ignore it and to question it however in this circumstance it would be order of sequence. Besides magic is not something that the unit decides to allow happen to them or not it just happens. I'm an O&G player as well and I would play it that the spell is a special effect and overrides the animosity in this case unless someone can show me the rule otherwise. The other option is to make it a house rule and go with what you and your game club feel comfortable with. I wish there were a big book or volumes even of rules clarifications...(wait a sec let's make them downloadable PDF files instead!) but it is what it is.

hiredgoonthug
11-08-2007, 05:14
Everyone I have ever played against in 6th edition argued that movement spells can affect units that normally can't do anything.

7th edition is easier. If you come onto the table after pursuing you can still be affected, if you rally - good, failed a charge - go for it! With the new Waaagh! spell wording it is quite simple, EACH UNBROKEN FRIENDLY UNIT is the key there. Notice it says friendly unit, not friendly Greenskin unit... ;)

knightime98
11-08-2007, 06:23
It is practiced by everyone that plays Orcs and Goblins that WAAGH supercedes animosity.... It's the way I played in 6th edition and its accepted in 7th the same way. Furthermore, Magic takes on a characteristic that other phases don't.... they make things happen that are not supposed to happen.... In this case, it released your spider riders of their duty to squabble... They are NOT BROKEN so therfore, they MUST move and they do NOT have a choice in the matter. Even if you wanted them NOT to move it is NOT a choice they MUST move... Period !!!

Got it, Good, end of post.....

kroq'gar
11-08-2007, 06:30
they can utalise the spell, order is paramount. Remember waagh has a downside too. All warmachines are unbroken, and so crew surge away from their weapons (even though they cannot declare normal charges)

Steeve
11-08-2007, 06:34
Good!,... Due diligence has been served.
I'm now feel justified in sticking to my original take on this.

Thanks all.

Ninsaneja
12-08-2007, 00:21
Order is important in WHFB. Of course, it should be noted that the most *recent* effect takes precedence, such as *being* frenzied and failing a stupidity test, or casting one spell which forbids and one spell which demands.