PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Fists, Grey Knights, Thousand Sons or Red Corsairs?

Panic
08-08-2007, 13:52
OK.
I am looking to build a 1000~1500point army for a tournament coming up at my local hobby store.
Now, I wanted to try something other than my Word Bearers to enter in the tournament and I can't pick between Imperial Fists, Pure Grey Knights, Pure Thousand Sons or Red Corsairs.

I'm looking for an army which I won't need to spend a hell lot of time into in painting (like my Word Bearers)... roughly an hour per model roughly would be fine, an army which is small but elite, low-ish cost to complete ($) wise, quite challenging to use on the battlefield and not all that popular. I don't know but I honestly don't like playing armies which are used by many...

Also, if you have some time, maybe post up a small 1000point army list and the rough estimate of the cost of the army ($-wise)?
So, any advice?

(P.S. : Can Pure Grey Knight armies have Assassins?)

Thanks in advance.

guillimansknight
08-08-2007, 14:09
OK.
I am looking to build a 1000~1500point army for a tournament coming up at my local hobby store.
Now, I wanted to try something other than my Word Bearers to enter in the tournament and I can't pick between Imperial Fists, Pure Grey Knights, Pure Thousand Sons or Red Corsairs.

I'm looking for an army which I won't need to spend a hell lot of time into in painting (like my Word Bearers)... roughly an hour per model roughly would be fine, an army which is small but elite, low-ish cost to complete ($) wise, quite challenging to use on the battlefield and not all that popular. I don't know but I honestly don't like playing armies which are used by many...

Also, if you have some time, maybe post up a small 1000point army list and the rough estimate of the cost of the army ($-wise)?
So, any advice?

(P.S. : Can Pure Grey Knight armies have Assassins?)

Thanks in advance.

well if you fill me in on what red cosairs have different form normal chaos, but for now i will assume they are normal chaos

TS are the best in terms of money painting and are slighty less challenging than GK.

GK can have assassins only if they also have inquisitor

unheilig
08-08-2007, 14:12
Grey Knights are too expensive for being so specialized.

The other three are all top notch choices, with top notch potential for coolness.

You gotta be GOOD at painting yellow to do the Fists justice, keep in mind.

Lord Malorne
08-08-2007, 14:12
i would go for the GK or imp fists as they are not chaos and would be as you say a change from your wordbearers and i semm to see an all yellow army surprisingly good looking and if you read their IA they're rather grim/or as i would say bad ass!

mistformsquirrel
08-08-2007, 14:13
Pure Grey Knights cannot have assassins (you require an Inquisitor) - but then an Assassin wouldn't be pure Grey Knights now would it? <^,~> So it'd be fine to include an Elite Inquisitor and an Assassin if you liked.

I vote Grey Knights if for nothing else than I love everything about em.

Baneboss
08-08-2007, 14:14
I dont understand the need to quote the first post in the second post...

Maybe something other than marines? From the options you proposed i like fists the most. Original colour scheme but hard to paint. You will need to use this new Ilyaden yellow.

Assassins need Inquisitor.

Panic
08-08-2007, 14:23
I do want to try something other than MEQ's... but Marines are just too good looking (model wise) to miss...
The thing I noticed about GK was that the lack of model variety makes the army look a little bit boring and since they are all metal, makes it a bit hard to convert... (Like the Justicar model is just... yeah...)

With Fists, I noticed that I'll have to work with White undercoat which I have never done before (All my models consisted of Black UC) so it will get a bit challenging I'm guessing...

Any more suggestions? A friend of mine is constently telling me to try Raven Guard, Iron Hands and even Black Templars.
Didn't they stop making some of the Black Templars?

Aargh... looks like I'm going to the 'good' side from the replies...

mistformsquirrel
08-08-2007, 14:31
Admittedly the GK can be a bit static, but you can put the arms in a surprising variety of poses. Also if you have a fair sized bits box, using extra Power Weapons from there adds a few things too, as the halberd arms only have one unique sculpted detail which is easy to add yourself.

This is of course just me - the important thing is that you do what you want!

FigureFour
08-08-2007, 14:42
I'll cast my vote for Thousand Sons, they're just so cool.

Panic
08-08-2007, 14:50
No one has a sample army list?
I'm leaning towards Pure Grey Knights atm...

Any one going to convince me to try something else? Coz I'd love to hear it...

King Thurgun
08-08-2007, 14:56
A pure grey knights army will be slaughtered in a tournament. They have lots of storm bolters and are pretty awesome in combat, but they literally have NOTHING in the their army that kills tanks. Like, nothing. Dreadnoughts and Landraiders. In a 1,500 pt. army, that means either 2 dreads or 1 land raider, so just two twin-linked lascannons for the whole army. Any army with armor 14 tanks, or something even harder to kill (skimmers ect.) will destroy you.

Sadly, footslogging grey knights are just not good. They have awesome abilities, but for 10 more points than a space marine they still die just as easily to plasma guns, massed fire, ect., except now you have about half of them.

If you want a compromise, do imperial fists with grey knight terminators. Grey Knight Terminators are the best terminators in the game bar none. Especially fighting other terminators. Also, if you're looking to be cost effective, don't do grey knights, its $35 for a squad of 5 rather than 10. twice as much money :-P

Panic
08-08-2007, 15:02
A pure grey knights army will be slaughtered in a tournament. They have lots of storm bolters and are pretty awesome in combat, but they literally have NOTHING in the their army that kills tanks. Like, nothing. Dreadnoughts and Landraiders. In a 1,500 pt. army, that means either 2 dreads or 1 land raider, so just two twin-linked lascannons for the whole army. Any army with armor 14 tanks, or something even harder to kill (skimmers ect.) will destroy you.

Sadly, footslogging grey knights are just not good. They have awesome abilities, but for 10 more points than a space marine they still die just as easily to plasma guns, massed fire, ect., except now you have about half of them.

If you want a compromise, do imperial fists with grey knight terminators. Grey Knight Terminators are the best terminators in the game bar none. Especially fighting other terminators. Also, if you're looking to be cost effective, don't do grey knights, its $35 for a squad of 5 rather than 10. twice as much money :-P
You have a fairly good point.
I read a lot saying don't take pure GK armies into Tournaments because the result will not be so good.
I don't like mixing armies and/or using allies so I doubt I'll be using the termies.
About the cost thing, I thought that the small number of Grey Knights you will be needing will cover up for the amount needed in a normal SM army if you get what I mean...

More suggestions please~ :)

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
08-08-2007, 15:16
Thousand Son all the way, espec if you get the new codex in time, ap3 bolters ftw! :D

Panic
08-08-2007, 15:29
Thousand Son all the way, espec if you get the new codex in time, ap3 bolters ftw! :D
ThSons are also very tempting...

Currently:

Thousand Sons - 3 votes
Grey Knights - 1 vote
Imperial Fists - 2 votes
Red Corsairs - 0 votes

More advice greatly appreciated.

Railgunner
08-08-2007, 15:32
You have a fairly good point.
I read a lot saying don't take pure GK armies into Tournaments because the result will not be so good.
I don't like mixing armies and/or using allies so I doubt I'll be using the termies.
About the cost thing, I thought that the small number of Grey Knights you will be needing will cover up for the amount needed in a normal SM army if you get what I mean...

More suggestions please~ :)

I vote pure Grey Knights...at the last tournament i went to with my pure GK, i managed 8th place, which isn't too bad :D

RG

Mortare
08-08-2007, 15:38
I have a pure Grey Knight army, and whilst fun to play with, they arent very competitive in small games. They die as easily as marines, but have storm bolters and cost nearly twice as much. To me, a no.

Fists have a good background, and look really nice when done well, but I would say that you at least need some practice at painting yellow first.

Thousand Sons are cool, good background and some nice models to my mind, but you may not be able to use a pure army of them in the new codex, im not sure.

Red Corsairs, a nice chance to mix kits with both sides, and chaos marines are a good force, though would be reasonably similar to your Word Bearers.

For some other options- Iron Hands are a fairly standard marine force overall, with some nice extras and shoulder pads in their boxset, so there is a chance to do a really nicely converted 1000pts. Raven Guard have a strong fast attack and minimal armour theme, but model wise even closer to standard. Salalmanders could be an option, standard marines with a penchant for flamers and meltas? A successor chapter of a theme you like, with your own paint scheme (Crimson Fists if you dont fancy their yellow brothers).

Hope that gives you some ideas, as for the army list, go with a solid core of troops, 2 or 3 solid squads and build from there

Panic
08-08-2007, 15:44
I have a pure Grey Knight army, and whilst fun to play with, they arent very competitive in small games. They die as easily as marines, but have storm bolters and cost nearly twice as much. To me, a no.

Fists have a good background, and look really nice when done well, but I would say that you at least need some practice at painting yellow first.

Thousand Sons are cool, good background and some nice models to my mind, but you may not be able to use a pure army of them in the new codex, im not sure.

Red Corsairs, a nice chance to mix kits with both sides, and chaos marines are a good force, though would be reasonably similar to your Word Bearers.

For some other options- Iron Hands are a fairly standard marine force overall, with some nice extras and shoulder pads in their boxset, so there is a chance to do a really nicely converted 1000pts. Raven Guard have a strong fast attack and minimal armour theme, but model wise even closer to standard. Salalmanders could be an option, standard marines with a penchant for flamers and meltas? A successor chapter of a theme you like, with your own paint scheme (Crimson Fists if you dont fancy their yellow brothers).

Hope that gives you some ideas, as for the army list, go with a solid core of troops, 2 or 3 solid squads and build from there
Thank you for this. Now I'm starting to lean to Imperial Fists! :wtf:
I agree that the R'Corsairs will be too similar to my Word Bearers, but the Chaos Termies and Termie Lord (the plastic one soon to be released) was just too good to not consider along with Huron...

When I start an army, I always go with 2 solid troop choices and than work from there (except for my Word Bearers army... the Dark Apostle was too tempting so I got to him straight away :D).

A thing with Imperial Fists... do they tend to look a bit cheesy with all the yellow?
Ah BTW, any tips on practicing with yellow? I rarely use yellow :o.

Any more advice?

IAMNOTHERE
08-08-2007, 15:52
Do a search for the Grey Knoghts taktica on this forum.

GK are awsome but require there own play style and a lot of finess to use well.

Panic
08-08-2007, 16:13
GK are awsome but require there own play style and a lot of finess to use well.
I've noticed that pure GK armies will be very hard to master...
Now with all these choices, I realised mine were all MEQ's...
Is there an army which isn't MEQ but still fits my small but elite army description?

Mott
08-08-2007, 16:16
Do imperial fists! If your not a pro at yellow just remember, yellow over white glazes\controled inking and then multiple thin coats! should be similar to my technique with red, see my sig link unless ur alrdy a decent painter.

Marsekay
08-08-2007, 16:18
I paint fists.
i dont find yellow hard, just time consuming which it seems you are aiming against?
You can see mine in my log in my sig.
any questions you have feel free to ask!

Katkiller 5
08-08-2007, 16:20
If $ is an issue like you say, i say TS. Highly elitist, should be a very solid army in the new codex, fairly easy to paint.. solid all around choice for an elitist army.