PDA

View Full Version : Will the fluff be "moved on" with apocolypses release?

Marsekay
08-08-2007, 16:09
do you think fluff will be moved on? do you think the book will be based "around" a conflict ie battlefleet gothics based around a battle and also epic armageddon...

I myself thinks its time for a good moving along as things have gotten a little stagnant lately.

Grimshawl
08-08-2007, 16:31
GW have consistantly refused to advance the overall story line, I think this time will be no different.

EarlGrey
08-08-2007, 16:35
I don't see why it should.
Apocalypse simply gives you rules for some big units and formations and a few extra rules for fighting big battles.

Big battles have been fought for what appears to be forever in the fluff, and such battles are probably far more common than the smaller forces seen in a usual game for 40K (I like to think so because I like to think BIG :) ).

Crube
08-08-2007, 16:38
I doubt it. As well as GW's refusal to do so in the past, there is already a precident for larger battles in the 40K fluff - essentially, although some may argue there is a need for the flufff to advance, this isn't that reason

Lord Malorne
08-08-2007, 16:43
regretably i agree as they do not show any sign of jumping in the pool simply to keep the name relevent! though they have no problem doing battles in the 30 odd millenias!

Alpharius
08-08-2007, 16:46
I think you’re taking the “Apocalypse” name a bit too literally.

It isn’t the “Apocalypse” of the 40k universe.

More like the “apocalypse” is going to be something that involves our bank balances!

Lexington
08-08-2007, 17:02
Yeesh, why's everyone always griping about the 40K background "never advancing"? It's quite nice where it is now. You need more to tell your own stories?

Darnok
08-08-2007, 17:03
I don't see that coming. It's more likely to bring the focus back to the big scale conflicts that where there in the past. The Age of Apostasy, the three Wars for Armageddon, the Black Crusades... all are excellent settings for Apocalypse.

Marsekay
08-08-2007, 17:10
I think i wrote it wrong, i dont mean advancing the fluff as in the imperiums about to be over run or whatever, just will there be a fluff "event" to base it round.
or even will there be any fluff in the book at all?

susu.exp
08-08-2007, 17:41
An event isnīt likely, but Iīd bet thereīs stuff about the kind of battles the ruleset is designed for. Maybe some of the Titan Legion background from TL... Something about company tactics from the index astartes. Loads of potential for background, thatīs not "advancing the storyline", but details things from way back when.

Mechanicus
08-08-2007, 18:35
I don't think it's worth advancing the timeline, since all it would be is a stalemate, and we've got pretty much ten thousand years of that to explore...

Joewrightgm
08-08-2007, 18:56
It was stated during the Gamesday New Product Seminar that Apocolypse would not shake up 40k fiction, and that that was left to Black Library.

BrainFireBob
08-08-2007, 19:04
Yeesh, why's everyone always griping about the 40K background "never advancing"? It's quite nice where it is now. You need more to tell your own stories?

It's because they made the mistake of actually launching the 13th Black Crusade, and now, some people want to find out what happened. It wasn't a smart move. It would be a smart move *now* to boost flagging popularity, but at the time, it wasn't a smart move. The imminent end of the Imperium is a more gripping "present" than the "end times beginning."

chaos0xomega
08-08-2007, 19:12

Because being on the last day of 999.M41 for the past 3+ years is just tiring....

Lexington
08-08-2007, 19:24
Because being on the last day of 999.M41 for the past 3+ years is just tiring....
Works fine for me. 40K isn't an ongoing single narrative - it's a huge universe that GW gives you, and says "do what you want with it." Why anyone needs to have things 'moved along' for them is beyond me.

King Thurgun
08-08-2007, 19:32
Agreed with Darnok (and other posters), i think that rather than moving the Fluff forward, Apocalypse will better serve to refight big historical battles. Which is perfectly ******* fine by me.

I have a buddy with a Salamanders Army, and a buddy with an Iguard army, and a buddy with an Ork army, and a lot of cityfight terrain. All we need is ultramarines, and we have the second war of Armageddon!

Puffin Magician
08-08-2007, 19:40
40K isn't an ongoing single narrative - it's a huge universe that GW gives you, and says "do what you want with it." Why anyone needs to have things 'moved along' for them is beyond me.If they're going to stop writing the book 20 pages short of the last chapter, the least they can do is flesh out the stuff they did write about, or at the very least make it somewhat congruent and start whipping those who are involved in writing it to stop all the anacrhonisms and nonsensical apocrypha.
Apocalypse will better serve to refight big historical battles. Which is perfectly ******* fine by me.Agreed entirely, but if that's what's going to be happening, then GW should give us more info about such historical refights so they can be fun and accurate, rather than "OK I'm pretty sure it was Orks vs. Steel Legion" and nothing more.

What exactly would the "future" be anyway? Necrons are awake and Tyranids are all over the place; anything beyond M44 will likely be "Codex: Extinction".

chaos0xomega
09-08-2007, 00:46
Works fine for me. 40K isn't an ongoing single narrative - it's a huge universe that GW gives you, and says "do what you want with it." Why anyone needs to have things 'moved along' for them is beyond me.

Because I'd like to know what happens on the first day of 000.M42?

Chaplain Ark
09-08-2007, 02:30

Considering how LARGE the imperium is, plus where everyone else is located, just use different battles to advance a story that takes place earlier. no one will think less of you for it. make your own crusade.

I happen to be creating a who new chapter of SM, new rules, new characters, new fluff. This is a fantasy game, use your imagination.

ssgtdude
09-08-2007, 02:56
I actually see the potential for background fluff coming out of the wood work with the coming of apocalypse. I do not see the advancement of the story line as others have said the GW universe is huge. Battles have been raging on n uber number of planets Most of them are lost in the annuals of time, and no one knowing about that particular army. This is where we the players are. fighting these forgotten battles, for squat pieces of real estate. Real estate that is part of the larger battle front.

You have to keep in mind that every battle we play is just a small section of the battle field. It would be like concentrating on one company of a army during a large scale war. Will what your army do on that particular day have a impact on the course of the war? perhaps, perhaps not.

Remember how the third battle for Armageddon was. That all day event. In some states the xeno-forces were victorious, but in others they lost very badly. Giving the overall victory to the imperium.

Then with the tau. The new kids on the block who fight for the greater good. It brings a new blood to mix with the old on the war torn surface of many battles.

I think that the battles within apocalypse will have a lot of fluff built around the story of the tactics, and such, but will in no way impact on the outcome of the overall war.

alex03
09-08-2007, 05:57
I for one would like to see the GW story advance, at least a little bit more.

Fighting "historical" battles ,while fun, doesnt really have an air of importance for me. The simple fact that really, no matter what you do the end result of that story will always be the same. Armaggedon turned out how it will always turn out.

I have to say it does seem that the overall story has crept forward a little. The tau showed up. Chaos attacked Cadia. Medusa.

But what GW needs to do is push it just a little more. Have chaos break out of the eye, have the tau launch a massive campaing of conquest to expand their pathetic "empire". Have another hive fleet show up. Move the story forward just a little then leave it there. Make us feel like we are fighting current battles, not just past ones. Set up some situations that will provide us gamers with motivation for why we fight our litte games.

Yes, i know we can all do that ourselved, but it doesnt have the same feel as when the company does it. Then we all feel like we are doing something as part of a community.

As for apocolypse moving the timeline forward? Well all have to wait and see. Any new fluff is good, imo.