PDA

View Full Version : GW Delaying Orders to Stores?

LionoftheBegs
08-08-2007, 19:46
Near my local GW at Eaton Center, in Toronto Canada, has not received any shipments for 2 weeks and the store is looking depleated. I was there for my Desu Brigade and appearently they ran out of Cadians. So I got some Lizardmen instead. However its like the store will close and I am not sure of that.

The red shirt says that the order was to be in today and didn't show and to call next week. How can GW keep a store open with limited items to sell?

Mikhaila
09-08-2007, 01:33
If for some reason they were closing the shop, i could see them not restocking, but other than that, it just sounds like a screw up by the manager or maybe shipping department. A GW store has to put in orders with the warehouse, it doesn't get autoshipped. If the manager is on vacation, a fax gets lost, or something similar, orders don't go out.

That happened to a GW shop in my area. A manager quit, the cell manager pulled an assistant out of Boston down to Philly, and pops this very green 19 year old into the managers position, for on the job training. (Did I mention cocky as hell? He had " I know what I'm doing" stenciled on his forhead right up until the day they let him go.) Somehow he didn't know he had to look at the list of new stuff coming out each week, and put in orders. I run up from my shop one day, drop in to have lunch with the cell manager, and overhear not 1, but 3 customers asking when they will get in the new LOTR book and the Mumakil. I'm sort of astounded as I've had Mumakils for a month and sold a couple dozen of them. Why the hell he didn't twig to the fact after the first week I have no clue.

jpwic
09-08-2007, 02:39
If for some reason they were closing the shop, i could see them not restocking, but other than that, it just sounds like a screw up by the manager or maybe shipping department. A GW store has to put in orders with the warehouse, it doesn't get autoshipped. If the manager is on vacation, a fax gets lost, or something similar, orders don't go out.

That happened to a GW shop in my area. A manager quit, the cell manager pulled an assistant out of Boston down to Philly, and pops this very green 19 year old into the managers position, for on the job training. (Did I mention cocky as hell? He had " I know what I'm doing" stenciled on his forhead right up until the day they let him go.) Somehow he didn't know he had to look at the list of new stuff coming out each week, and put in orders. I run up from my shop one day, drop in to have lunch with the cell manager, and overhear not 1, but 3 customers asking when they will get in the new LOTR book and the Mumakil. I'm sort of astounded as I've had Mumakils for a month and sold a couple dozen of them. Why the hell he didn't twig to the fact after the first week I have no clue.

I was told that the shipments from last week were held for inspection by customs. As I actually do work for a customs broker I know this does happen and most often and the most inconvienient times :P

grickherder
09-08-2007, 03:38
Customs can really suck. Especially Canadian customs. I've noticed that people also like to blame others for their own mistakes. If a customer orders something and the store manager/owner forgets, it's easier to blame the supplier and hope to save the sale by ordering it now-- and people don't like to look like idiots so it's easier to tell a lie they likely can never verify. Sucks, but it happens.

Mikhaila
10-08-2007, 06:49
Canadian Customs are notorious! The mounties are worse!

I've been playing "The Nacho Incident" from 8 foot lama with my family. Great little beer and pretzels game. Everyone knows that Mexican food is illegal in canada, and that the mounties are out looking for anyone sneaking across the boarder with salsa and tacos. You play a crafty smuggler, trying to get your goods across the border, and set up illegal cantinas in the different canadian provinces.

Archaon
10-08-2007, 09:17
Customs can really suck. Especially Canadian customs. I've noticed that people also like to blame others for their own mistakes. If a customer orders something and the store manager/owner forgets, it's easier to blame the supplier and hope to save the sale by ordering it now-- and people don't like to look like idiots so it's easier to tell a lie they likely can never verify. Sucks, but it happens.

Happened to me once years ago when i was starting Flames of War.

I ordered the rulebook and some other small stuff at this online shop (apparently also has a store) whom i met at a miniature exhibition and who introduced me to the game.
When i placed the order there was no talk of delay.

Now a week later i haven't heard from him so i enquired what's the holdup. He comes with this customs ******** and i bought it.. it can happen since the stuff comes from New Zealand.

Now by chance i post this situation on Battlefronts' own website board and suddenly i get contacted by Mail by one of BFs' staff because he wanted to know what the problem was. Turns out this shop was well known for being late on their payments and generally posing problems for BF so they put him on the backburner for orders, he has to pay up front instead of after delivery etc.

So this guy lied to my face and as a consequence i won't order from him again and advised others not too either. There are some shops where you get way better served, instant mail contact if there's a problem and they send out the order the following day.

athamas
10-08-2007, 10:36
i can say from personal experience that the canadian customs department sucks..

if the shipping has moved from acentralised canadian warehouse touse the US one, and there are sudenly lots of bix boxes being shiped all over canada [and its likely they only go through 2 or 3 custom points along the border then are split up] the 'syestem' is getting curious as to why weekly, large expensive packages are passing through that they cant tax... [the fact that they will be sold later and then they get the tax is irrelivent!]

so, hopefully its just customs being arsy...

LionoftheBegs
21-08-2007, 04:14
Well, its been nearly a week after they got their shipments in and I got 2 boxes of Cadians and 2 heavy weapon boxes (those small ones) and I didn't come back for a week.

Lo and behold once again the store either didn't order enough or somethings going on. I mean not having either Chaos Marines/Warriors but having the Bezerkers, Not having Cadian's and not restocking. I don't know whats more frustrating, my I keep going back or why they don't order enough. They don't even have that many fantasy Chaos stuff either (knowing new marines come out and such, but not having Warriors?)

I mean should I go look for another GW or what?

blongbling
21-08-2007, 09:20
Now by chance i post this situation on Battlefronts' own website board and suddenly i get contacted by Mail by one of BFs' staff because he wanted to know what the problem was. Turns out this shop was well known for being late on their payments and generally posing problems for BF so they put him on the backburner for orders, he has to pay up front instead of after delivery etc.

So this guy lied to my face and as a consequence i won't order from him again and advised others not too either. There are some shops where you get way better served, instant mail contact if there's a problem and they send out the order the following day.

this type of stuff happens a lot to be honest, i see it with indeis all the time.

Osbad
21-08-2007, 11:42
I mean should I go look for another GW or what?

Stuff the store. Order your stuff online from one of Warseer's sponsors. Cheaper ($$ discount $$), more reliable and quicker by the sounds of it. The store has stuffed up and doesn't deserve your loyalty when you can buy what you want for less and quicker elsewhere.

LionoftheBegs
21-08-2007, 13:51
The thing is this is a GW store itself so its sort of weird how they don't have enough of thier product. Thats why I suggested it might close down (hopefully not).

Osbad
21-08-2007, 13:54
But this is GW we are talking about. If they *can* stuff something up somewhere along the line, then it is a pretty safe bet that in the course of they *will* stuff it up...

Killgore
24-08-2007, 15:59
a local store on the iow had terrible problems getting stock in, the companys gw hired to transport stock to the store where totaly useless, it even got delivered to the wrong island once if memory serves me correct haha