PDA

View Full Version : What are the Eldar Insignia/Call Signs?

DarkAzrael169
08-08-2007, 21:40
I'm having trouble figuring out what to call my Eldar Nightwings and where to put any insignia's such as flight number, etc... With the Imperials it is quite easy, however I don't even know where to start with Eldar.

MadDogMike
09-08-2007, 06:13
The Eldar seem to use a lot of mythical/animal references in naming their military hardware, so you could use similar naming philosophies. Actual Eldar Corsairs of course will probably be very random in their naming and insignia. Finally, it's entirely possible they number their planes in similar fashion to the Imperials; combined with the mythical/animal reference bit that might mean having something like, for instance, Fox Flight (with Fox Leader, Fox 2, etc.). What I'd guess anyway. Not sure how to draw Eldar numerals though, or if that's ever been established in the fluff.

Nemoyo
09-08-2007, 09:54
Perhaps marking each aircraft with multiple or different coloured fine stripes would be suitable for differentiating them if you did not want to use numbers?

Zhai Morenn
10-08-2007, 04:41
Another possibility is that you could name your Eldar fighters according to certain aspects of eldar beliefs (Anaris flight led by a pilot named after the iconography of a great hero of times past for example) or you could take another route along the lines of making the squadron have a given name and perhaps having an Ace leading the squadron who has adopted some name that the mon-keigh have designated him by due to a combination of something to distinct him from his fellows and a high kill count (my personal fav idea in this area is "'Pointy' von Richthofen").

DarkAzrael169
10-08-2007, 09:51
Thanks that should help, now all I have to do is find a cool flight name...

Ethan Hunt
05-09-2007, 19:21
Not bad idea...
Good luck with your eldar force.
A flight name... how about "The Shields of Vaul"? Or "The Swords of Vaul". Like they protect the Eldar race,etc. :)

DarkAzrael169
08-09-2007, 02:32
Well, I have the Eldar Codex and am deciding between a Saim-Hamn or a Ulthwe flight name. I like the Ulthwe because they attempted to stop the Horus Heresy. The Eldar Decal shets for 40K I believe is small enough to be used for Aeronautica, so I can use those for actual markings. Oh... Now I have two Phoenixs and two Nightwings!!!

MadDogMike
08-09-2007, 07:13
Yeah, they have decals on the sheet that are small enough for AI, though not many (speaking as the owner of a soon-to-be-painted-as Altaioc flight). Your flight is a decent first flight of Eldar; if you get more I'd get a pair of Nightwings first and maybe a Vampire Raider for "transport troops" scenarios, but right now your four should be decent.

Darnok
08-09-2007, 13:29
The Eldar Decal shets for 40K I believe is small enough to be used for Aeronautica, so I can use those for actual markings. Oh... Now I have two Phoenixs and two Nightwings!!!

Some of them are. I used the 40K decals on two Epic Nightwings, and those models are even smaller than the FW versions (and have much less smooth areas). It was a bit tricky, but it works. And this way you can differentiate your models quite well. On squadron/fighter names I'd suppose you have a look at the background section of the Codex Eldar - as mentioned before, they tend to name their vehicles after mythical stuff, and there you have a lot of choice.