PDA

View Full Version : Is a pure Night Goblins army possible?

Inquisitor_Constantine
08-08-2007, 21:07
Trying to return to fantasy for first time in about 10 years.
I have split 2 BFSP boxes and now have a ton of night gobbos.

With the addition of various squigs and possibly converted Night Goblin Spider Riders (a bit of a strech but there are spiders in caves so it seems to fit with the theme).

Winning games does not really concern me but can an all Night Goblins army be competitive?

winter has ended
08-08-2007, 21:30
ofcourse its possible lol, you just end up lack firepower and strentgh, but really on numbers and insanely good magic lol

athamas
08-08-2007, 22:37
its really worth taking skarsnick... the ld bonus he gives should never be underestimated...

you will want spear chukkas, doom divers aswell in your army...

bar that everything else can be night goblins [and a good helping of fanatics.. ]

Aflo
08-08-2007, 22:59
If you're looking to win, seriously consider using other units as 'counts as' troops: goblin chariots crewed by night goblins and pulled by wierd mushroom men for example - that way you not only get a much more varied/interesting look to your army, but you may actually begin to win games :D

Urgat
09-08-2007, 00:03
Trying to return to fantasy for first time in about 10 years.
I have split 2 BFSP boxes and now have a ton of night gobbos.

With the addition of various squigs and possibly converted Night Goblin Spider Riders (a bit of a strech but there are spiders in caves so it seems to fit with the theme).

Winning games does not really concern me but can an all Night Goblins army be competitive?

Well, if not winning is fine with you, sure :p
Otherwise, you'll be hard pressed against most armies, with no true cavalry (well if you take spider riders, it can help, they're not too bad), no warmachines, no monsters save for the cave squig (and it's nothing too incredible). Your only real damage unit (squig hunters) is awfully vulnerable to ranged attacks and charges and will be the prime target of your enemy. You could at least consider trolls, but the Ld will be a pb.
An all goblin army is already quite a chalenge, restricting yourself to night gobs only is bound to be frustrating at some point.

Crazy Harborc
09-08-2007, 00:32
IMHO, do an all Goblin army, that is heavy on NGs for foot units. Skarsnik is a good leader choice.;)

Having said that.....give it a try using stand-ins or whatever as just an all NG army. A couple of games should help you decide on all Goblin or all Night Goblin;)

hiredgoonthug
10-08-2007, 03:15
I agree, mixed Gobbs and NGs is hte way to go. Skarsnik is really the only thing I can see to bring a Night Goblin army into contention.

Khorghan
10-08-2007, 03:34
Its possible. Use Skarsnik.

kroq'gar
11-08-2007, 06:45
The number of fanatics in that army would make grown men cry.

Its possible, if you model warmachine crew to be night gobbos cant see why not.

just include some giants, and lots of squigs. and those fanatics.

Urgat
11-08-2007, 08:47
Then he can as well take black orcs, give them cloaks and say they are night gobs, and then he can do whatever he wants and wouldn't want our opinion.
So yeah, if heu take severything and give them night gob names, well of course, it will work as well as any other greenskin army.
On the other hand, if he really takes only night gobs, well, even skarsnik won't give him artillery, fast cavalery, heavy infantry, better units or an army wide Ld that is not 6 for anything out of Ld range (and in a 2000+ points night gob army there is a lot of units, he won't be able to cram them all around Skarsnik obviously).
And fanatics are a hindrance more than a benefit most of the time when you take them en masse, just offering the enemy more shooting phases to crush you from afar while you wait for the dozen loomies to get out of the way.
Squigs are good, yeap, but you can't take so many of them, and their Ld still sucks. In an all night goblin army, that will be where the shots will fall, and a squig bomb that explodes in your deployement zone because of one failed panic test can be nasty...
There you go.

winter has ended
11-08-2007, 09:50
yeah ok some will be out, but skarsnik will get god knows how many shots with his missle, thensome fanatics will go towards the enemy so he will shoot them not you, also then theres the fact the squig hoppers are immune to psychology so dont take tests from shooting just losing comabt

yarrickson
11-08-2007, 22:42
Sure its possible, and it can, imho, be quite competitive. Squig hoppas, squig hunter teams and fanatics will throw out enough S5 attacks to worry any opponent, excepting wood elves who will hide in terrain and giggle like girls. Pretty much all the "Night Goblin Only" magic items are immense. I'd recommend three shamen and Skarsnik. Because Night Goblin characters are so puny anyway you may as well go as sneaky as you can with character selection, and they dont come much sneakier than Skarsnik combined with the Little Waagh. Yeah, at the end of the day Night Goblin units, your mainstay are individually rubbish, but if you can somehow fit three units of them with nets into one unit of S3 troops and successfully net them all three times, they suffer instant death. (I Think?):D

Monkey
12-08-2007, 02:00
I have been using an all night gobbo army for years .... It is a viable army but is very random to play.
If you are looking for a good solid army that will crush everybody you fight then they probably wont be the army for you.
But if you are looking for an army that can be a barrel of laughs sometimes can pull off a magnificent win but sometimes suffer a spectacular defeat then choose the Night Gobbos.

Crazy Harborc
12-08-2007, 02:39
Over the years, a common comment I have heard and made too..... "Orcs and or Goblins are always good for laughs. Ya never know what they are going to do"! Those gobbos are a hoot.:D

Skarsnik's gobbo sidekick is not as nasty as he was in previous editions. I seem to remember it would eat friendlies in units it and Skarsnik joined. Anyway, I am getting out my Skarsnik and will come up with a squig to be on the same base with Skarsnik.

Anybody know if a new version of the two, on a 40mm square base is coming out?

winter has ended
12-08-2007, 09:46
the new skarsnik model is already out, has been for a while, its base is like erm 2 goblins by 3 goblins i think, maybe 4 by 3, have a look on gw shop lol

Crazy Harborc
14-08-2007, 02:14
the new skarsnik model is already out, has been for a while, its base is like erm 2 goblins by 3 goblins i think, maybe 4 by 3, have a look on gw shop lol

Thanks for the head up. I'll check it out for the pose. I've got the old version with each on their own base. I may do a remounting for Friday's game.;)

Angus
15-08-2007, 21:33
A friend of mine plays with all NG (but with "NG squigg chariots") and wins everything in small games.

Dead Man Walking
15-08-2007, 22:41
It is totally in character for other goblins to join a night goblins army. Typically this manifests in an army of night goblins marching through and area and any goblins they come across decide to join in because it promises of a good time.

Highborn
16-08-2007, 02:18
If you want artillery, you could use a 'looted' dwarf bolt thrower crewed by some night gobbos - that wouldn't look half bad.

Malorian
16-08-2007, 02:27
Stay true and use as many sneaky tactics with fanatics as you can.

Also learn how you use squig herds to their full potential. Remember that you can flee through them without worry since they are immune to psych, so but a unit with bows in front of them (no fanatics) and then with they charge just flee and smash them with the herd.

Use hoppers to deal with scouts and terrain.

But stay true! Don't use 'counts as' or 'looted'. It takes away frmo the theme and in the end you can win without them.

Crazy Harborc
16-08-2007, 02:39
I have been using one/two for several years.....Including at the companie's local store.;) Oh, it is nice to have the correct model...IF and WHEN you can afford to spend the money.;)

Hoppers ARE skirmishers....sooo difficult terrain doesn't slow them down. They can go right on through and smack a unit in the flank that is depending on difficult or very dificult terrain to guard that flank.

Saulot
16-08-2007, 02:58
So, anyone mind sharing how their armies shape up? How many blocks of NG's do you usually take? Which units do you like best as "Hammers"? And is Magic really one way of making NGs moderately scary in smallish to mid-sized (1k-2k) games?

Crazy Harborc
16-08-2007, 03:04
In a 2500 plus game, I like to use at least two of 30/35 plus NG units, each with 3 fanatics.

My gobbo armies never do hit the table as "pure" gobbo armies. I always have Orcs in the army. My "hammer" greenskin units are usually BOs.:D

Thoras
20-08-2007, 11:21
In a 2500 plus game, I like to use at least two of 30/35 plus NG units, each with 3 fanatics.

My gobbo armies never do hit the table as "pure" gobbo armies. I always have Orcs in the army. My "hammer" greenskin units are usually BOs.:D

Thought i'd pitch in on this thread rather than start me own.

Thinking of doing something similar, night goblins for the best part across the board, with a few odds and sods thrown in (converted war machines, spider riders etc), a few questions to people in the know,

* Im thinking of converting some spider riders to have night gobbo's riding them. How good are spider riders in general? prefer the look and feel of them compared to wolf riders.

* Is building my army around night goblin regiments a good idea?

* Is Skarnik a must?

Crazy Harborc
21-08-2007, 01:28
Spider riders only move 7/14. Wolf riders move 9/18. Spider riders ignor the drawbacks of difficult/very difficult terrain. Spiders do poison attacks in HtH.

As to your second question........For myself, I "need" to use some big guys with the NG and other goblins. Soooo....IF you really like the gobbos...it's a good idea to do them.;)

Skarsnick did some great hurting an opponent's unit in HtH. His sneaky interference when an opponent is deploying before turn one is good. My Friday's opponent rolled 6s on both his HE repeater bolt throwers AND a unit of HE archers. They couldn't come on the board until his movement phase.

The only drawback I had with Scarsnick and his sidekick was that on a 40mm by 60mm base....they take the place of some second rankers too. Those are missed in HtH when the unit's got spears. With a total of 8 potential hits/wounds in HtH did make up for the missing NG spears.

Gobbos ARE fun. Don't just some with NG and or regular gobbo units. In time you will want lots of choices of units to mix in with the gobbos.;)

Thoras
21-08-2007, 08:14
Spider riders only move 7/14. Wolf riders move 9/18. Spider riders ignor the drawbacks of difficult/very difficult terrain. Spiders do poison attacks in HtH.

As to your second question........For myself, I "need" to use some big guys with the NG and other goblins. Soooo....IF you really like the gobbos...it's a good idea to do them.;)

Skarsnick did some great hurting an opponent's unit in HtH. His sneaky interference when an opponent is deploying before turn one is good. My Friday's opponent rolled 6s on both his HE repeater bolt throwers AND a unit of HE archers. They couldn't come on the board until his movement phase.

The only drawback I had with Scarsnick and his sidekick was that on a 40mm by 60mm base....they take the place of some second rankers too. Those are missed in HtH when the unit's got spears. With a total of 8 potential hits/wounds in HtH did make up for the missing NG spears.

Gobbos ARE fun. Don't just some with NG and or regular gobbo units. In time you will want lots of choices of units to mix in with the gobbos.;)

Thanks for the info :)
I was thinking of build my first 500 points around a shaman, some spider riders and a unit or two (not sure how it will work out points wise) of NG's with sword and board with a couple of fanatics thrown in to each. Does that sound sensible, basically i'm looking to build a fun army that still stands a chance to winning.

Thoras
21-08-2007, 08:31
Also i'm probably being immensly thick, but where can you find the stats for the ranged weapons? I'm new in from 40k and still reading the rule book.

Urgat
21-08-2007, 10:00
The rules are in the warhammer rule book, not in the army books (save for specialized weapons, at least). They are P54 in my rulebook ( not english one, but it should be close anyway).

MadCat
21-08-2007, 10:05
I have also got lots of Night Goblins from two starter boxes, so my first army is almost a Night Goblins one. I made two 2250 games against Dwarves, liked the fun and impredictability of the army.

It lacked some units then, it only had Night Goblins with spears and short bows, fanatics, Trolls, Spider Riders and shamans for the Lord and heroes slots.

So I'm waiting for some Spear chukkas, more Fanatics, Skarsnik, Squig Herds and Hoppers.

Reading this gave me a great idea for my first conversion project, to make a Night Goblins Spider Riders unit!

MadCat
21-08-2007, 10:06
I have the English version and index points to page 54 also.

Thoras
21-08-2007, 10:21
I have also got lots of Night Goblins from two starter boxes, so my first army is almost a Night Goblins one. I made two 2250 games against Dwarves, liked the fun and impredictability of the army.

It lacked some units then, it only had Night Goblins with spears and short bows, fanatics, Trolls, Spider Riders and shamans for the Lord and heroes slots.

So I'm waiting for some Spear chukkas, more Fanatics, Skarsnik, Squig Herds and Hoppers.

Reading this gave me a great idea for my first conversion project, to make a Night Goblins Spider Riders unit!

Been considering some pretty wild ideas, some from this thread,

Night goblin spider riders (definatly)
Night goblin chariot pulled by squigs or maybe spiders?
Looted night goblin spear chucka (dwarf bolt thrower with NG crew and bits)
Shaman on spider

Also thanks for the heads up on weapons range. I'm woundering how productive goblin archer units are

Monkey
22-08-2007, 04:43
For my night gobbo army I had two "chariots" which were wheelbarrows from the siege equipment pulled by squigs .... and now I have the "fanatic cannon" doom diver .... which is an old earthshaker cannon firing a fanatic and crewed buy night gobbos....

winter has ended
22-08-2007, 09:09
I'm woundering how productive goblin archer units are

very lol, even though you have short range you can keep lots on hills and the rest move foward slowly, the advantage is you opponent wont really want to charge you as he dosnt know if they have fanatics in, which they definatly should

Thoras
22-08-2007, 10:30
Heh i like the idea of a fanatic firing cannon. Two final questions,

1.) Is it worth taking spears over hand weapons?
2.) Whats a good unit size for a unit of archers and a unit of melee?

jpf1982
22-08-2007, 15:40
Pure night goblins.

Sure anything is possible as long as you can take a constant loss with good humility, I'm not saying it's impossible to win with all NG's, just very difficult.

Like many people I bartered and traded and ended up with about 200 NG's from the BfSP box set; so naturally I flew with it.

To add to the army I inevitably had to use other things, my current army consists of about 90 spearmen, I've got 18 spider riders, 1 giant, 10 squig hoppers, 6 fanatics, 1 gobbo on giant squig, 2 stone throwers, 1 spear chukka, 1 doom diver, like 4 shaman and 4 bosses (from BfSP). I've modeled all the regular gobbo's to have cloaks and NG emblems.

Let's think some tactics right quick, goblins can be a winning army but not without firepower which for goblins is provided by their warmachines becuase any gobbo bow your using is only gonna be 16 for range which sucks as most of the time you'll be at long and with the crap BS of 3 that means you'd be needing 5 to hit, even with spiders being able to close range you'll likely be moving which means still needing 5's at close.

Honestly the spear chukkah's are only useful if your fielding two of them because you'll be missing half the time so only taking 1 is pretty much wasting 35 points IMO.

The giant while fun is pretty much a guaranteed 205 victory points for your opponent.

Also any game under 2000 points night gobbo big bosses are okay, but once you hit tourney level 2000 point games you really can't rely on gobbo's to be generals anymore and for this reason I created Timmy the Tard. He is an orc warboss with the melty looking face on an ironback boar with modeled black cloak and hat. The leadership is pretty much neccessary to keep your leadership 5 units from hauling it off the board at every little thing and the boar keeps him running back and cross from one side of your immense battle line to the other to give that leadership where needed. My boar btw looks like a wooden saw horse with wheels being pulled by a squig.

Honestly I've only played the army a grand total of 8 times from games varying 500pts up to 2000 and my record is 2W 2D 4L, My wins were at 500 and 1000pts where my numbers ruled. Draws were actually at 2000 and the losses were 3 at 1750 and 1 at 2000. Honestly at 2000 your never going to be able to equal most of the other races lords and stick to a gobbo theme. However I have won an award at the two tourney's I've participated in which were Best Appearence. If nothing else gobbo's are great for converting and painting wild and crazy figs, so if your goal is an army that looks funny/awesome and you don't mind losing take gobbo's.

Hopefully this wasn't completely useless.

Crazy Harborc
23-08-2007, 01:28
30-40 NGs with bows (maybe 3 fanatics included) does tend to make my opponents nervous. Fact is, they can't hit much shooting 16" max. Still, the bows cost 0 points to add on. Cheap way to send a large fanatic delivery unit into launch range.

If they shoot up onto a hill (or off of one), if they are in ranks 10 minies long, if they are in range of a target.......You get to roll.....oh, 20 dice, that hit on a 6, converting with luck on a 4,5 or 6. Oh, heck you'll provide a laugh for yourself and your opponent when they all miss.;)