PDA

View Full Version : apocalypse, what the??????

jimyg
09-08-2007, 03:46
did any of you see the sneek peeks today?

who would buy a box set with 10 leman russ tanks in it?

maybe what? 5% of people who are into the GW hobby are going to buy these gigantic box sets. i dont know it just seems crazy to me.

epic is barely alive and is an awesome game in itself yet GW puts resources into things like Apocolypse. i just dont get it.

Drogmir
09-08-2007, 04:14
Whoops wrong thread.

Oh well.

I do know a box set with 10 Leman Russ Tanks would probably make you go broke.

zealot!
09-08-2007, 04:31
It's strange, I'm not sure if it's epic or just 3 razorbacks grouped together at $500

New mini campaign?

this post makes no f-ing sense.

Trolond
09-08-2007, 04:45
Ok, This makes lots of sense. These will be unlimited points games. Thus, you could... COULD... have a 15000 point army. 10 Leman Russ tanks will fit in well there. Also, with the Battle Boxes or whatever they're called, they come with things called strategies (i know sometimes they aren't needed, but in huge games where one blast can kill up to 64 models, they are)

The models in these boxes, if fielded the correct way, will recieve bonuses for either the army or something. It wasn't incredibly clear when it was explained at Gamesday Chicago, but that was the basic jist.

There are a lot of other things that will be coming out. Like the necron phalanx pack, which comes with three monoliths. Or the Chaos pack, that has 10 Chaos Spawn models. Or the Tau Squadron box, that has a skyray and two other vehicles.

There are a bunch of different options. IG will have more than one. And, as the sales rep kept stressing, squadrons of tanks won't be that odd in apocalypse.

Also... 10 leman russes will be a hell of a lot of money if you buy them individually. In the box set, you'll pretty much be buying 7 or 8 and getting the others free.

jimyg
09-08-2007, 04:59
i just dont understand the marketing.

are you or do you know anyone who will buy build and paint 10 full size leman russ tanks?

it just seems the time and effort GW put into apocalypse could have been better spent on something a broader audience could enjoy.

im really just a disgruntelled epic fan who wishes they would give that game some more attention.

alex03
09-08-2007, 05:11
Ill judge how crazy I think GW is when i see the price tag on these sets. If there is a good discount, yeah, they may sell some. If the price is just Leman Russ X10, then no, its not going to sell.

Did you see the space marine set? What is that, a whole company of marines?

Frgt/10
09-08-2007, 05:22
Did you see the space marine set? What is that, a whole company of marines?

yep, and pricing means you're getting all the transports for free, bar one i think :chrome:

are you or do you know anyone who will buy build and paint 10 full size leman russ tanks?

im not but i know people who will

It's strange, I'm not sure if it's epic or just 3 razorbacks grouped together at $500

:wtf:

epic is barely alive

this isnt epic

VetSgtNamaan
09-08-2007, 05:48
I am not sure what I will buy hat depends on the actual price. Though I am thinking about the space marine battle company, the 10 leman russ boxed set as well as the tau one with the 9 crisis suits and stealth team. It is an attractive offer for those wishing to start new armies. Or even sharing a box with friends.

Ddraiglais
09-08-2007, 05:50
I for one will buy some of the boxes. I know plenty of others who will buy them too. Of course I have a Yahoo group dedicated to mega-battles, so that might be the reason I know a lot of people looking forward to this.

zealot!
09-08-2007, 05:56
i can totally see people splitting those russ boxes like up to 5 ways.

2 tanks for how much again? we could have some warseer peoples throw down on these boxes and split em up. that'd be a good idea.

Higgen
09-08-2007, 06:22
I can't see many people buying the big boxes for themselves. You can only use most of those models in a game of Apocalypse. Unless Apocalypse is the new 40k and not just an expansion, I see no reason to buy so many models! I don't see such games becoming the norm in GW stores or tournaments, so that leaves gaming groups that are enamored of having fun, big battles.

I'm not saying that Apoc is a bad expansion, and I wish it well, but there's no way in Hades that I'm ever going to buy, convert, and paint 10 Leman Russes along with my current two so that I can occasionally play a game of Apocalypse.

Will this set come with pieces to assemble Demolishers, too? At least break the monotony a little!

Nurglitch
09-08-2007, 06:27
One heck of a way to buy cheap 40k stuff, and sell it without having to discount the usual merchandise. Buy an Apocalypse box at a 20%-30% off online retailer, divide between your friends, and voila.

Gaius_Baltar
09-08-2007, 06:31
The price of the Marine company is 52% less than buying seperatly.

BARON SAMDI
09-08-2007, 06:38
Yeah and have any of u seen that cheap excuse for a baneblade the fw model is bigger more detailed and ultimatly better why copy it?

Alx_152
09-08-2007, 06:46
People will buy those large sets. Some will keep all, others will divide the contents with others. The discount you get while buying the big sets is enough reason I think.

shaso_iceborn
09-08-2007, 06:50
just a thought for you but my understanding is alot of marketing research has been put into apoc and alot of people like to play larger battles than you will find in your average tournament. Oh, and they will be having Apocalpse tournaments. Hell I love the opportunity to field all 20,000 plus points of Tau

JustTony
09-08-2007, 06:58
Yeah and have any of u seen that cheap excuse for a baneblade the fw model is bigger more detailed and ultimatly better why copy it?
Here's the main reason for buying the plastic Baneblade. The (admittedly beautiful) FW model ships to the USA for $322, depending on the exact exchange rate. Supposedly (based on release schedules I have seen on Warseer) there will be a box set of 3 (THREE) plastic baneblades for $275, available at your local store. My friends and I are planning on splitting one of those sets 3 ways. It's just economic sense. Also plastic is so much easier to work with for conversion purposes (Stormhammer, anyone?) Also until I actually see the plastic kit I would be careful about calling it cheap or crappy. GW has gotten very good with plastic models. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Peace; through superior firepower.

cleansingfury
09-08-2007, 07:05
Where is everyone getting this info? Like where is it? Did you get an email or something what?

Frgt/10
09-08-2007, 07:20
Where is everyone getting this info? Like where is it? Did you get an email or something what?

read the 40k rumor forums. If u mean the pricing its all there somewhere as well.

Meat Shield
09-08-2007, 07:30
2 Monoliths Ok w/e
3 Vidicators. Fine.
12 Battle suits. Pushing it but i guess could be useful.
Space Marine Battle Company... WTF. I guess it at least containes differents models

But 10 yes !10! Lemon Russ' What is going on. It probly costs 400$ Just for 10 of the same friekin tank. Imagine all the painting. Apocolypse is rediculous but i guess they wanted it to be.

DarthSte
09-08-2007, 07:40
I think I'll be getting both of the tau sets. And probably whatever they bring out for chaos. And possibly the 3 Baneblades. More money (and armies) than sense. As I guess have a lot of people that have been in the hobby for 10+ years. I think the Apocalypse thing is really going to appeal to "veterans" more than newbies. 10 Leman Russes isn't going to get somebody into the game, but if somebody (like me) has a house, no kids and free weekends, then the prospect of a whole Mo-Fo company of Marines or 10 Russes is going to make their eyes really light up.

Blackwolf
09-08-2007, 07:49
i just dont understand the marketing.

it just seems the time and effort GW put into apocalypse could have been better spent on something a broader audience could enjoy.

im really just a disgruntelled epic fan who wishes they would give that game some more attention.

I guess I won't be buying the 10 tank box set. I already own 31 so I dont need more to play but you can be sure I will be playing really big battles more regularly. (I do know three people in my gameing group who want the box)

Blackwolf
09-08-2007, 07:53

Actually the FW one is smaller differently detailed and unless you are lucky enough to get a perfect cast not as high quality for almost triple the price.

BARON SAMDI
09-08-2007, 07:55
until I actually see the plastic kit I would be careful about calling it cheap or crappy. GW has gotten very good with plastic models. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

I was more or less refering to it being lessdetailed in COMPARISON to the FW model. I agree with you that it will be cheaperand more convineant than the FW one si I will buy both a Lusius and one of the triple packs to see wich is better.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
09-08-2007, 08:04
im divided on apocalypse..it has its advantages for sure...but...

1) nothing new for necrons except a lord and a 2-lith pack for Necrons, isnt that inspiring for someone who is more of a collector/painter/fluffaddict than player. But that said, its the first "new" thing they've had in 5 years so thats cool and its nice to see them get a bit of attention even if ti doesnt interest me.

2) id rather have a new edition of Epic (with an actual range for 'crons) as I prefer 6mm for large-scale battles and also cos its more affordable.

4) The deals they are doing for the larger models are great if you are into those armies, and things like tha chaos baneblade conversion are definitly inspiring, so more power to those that will enjoy this I guess!

Buddha777
09-08-2007, 08:09
Well the prices are really what make those big boxes attractive. $125 for that Tau battlesuit box, only $350 for an ENITIRE SM battle company, hell the new banebalde is only priced at $95. Compare that to buying them singley or even worse from FW and even if you don't play apocalypse just building an army becomes easier.

Daredhnu
09-08-2007, 10:24
so does anyone know what is in the Space Marine Battle Company exactly as for vehicles i mean since the infantry is kinda obvious

like 8 rhinos or something? and what about predators? maybe a land raider?

anyone have any information like that?

by the way a company of marines bought singley will cost about 400 pounds
that's with 8 rhinos so if the company will only cost about $350 i will save so much money on buying my blazing eagles chapter :D

Scythe
09-08-2007, 10:49
The 10 leman russ set is a bit over the top for me... especially as the set only contains basic russes! If it had pieces to make all the variants, like Demolishers, Exterminators, Vanquishers, Executioners and Conquerors, it would have been interesting, but 10 vanilla russes are not for me.

The other sets do look ok tough; the Tau sets in particular. 2 hammerheads and a skyray or 9 crisis suits and 3 stealth suits are amounts you can use in basic armies as well. If the pricing is attractive, those things look like good investments.

Baneboss
09-08-2007, 11:03
Instead of 10x LR i would rather like to see 10x Chimera for those people who wants to build a mechanised force. 10x Chimera could aslo be used in normal games up to 2000 points where you normally use 5-8 Chimera.

gitburna
09-08-2007, 11:56
I was more or less refering to it being lessdetailed in COMPARISON to the FW model. I agree with you that it will be cheaperand more convineant than the FW one si I will buy both a Lusius and one of the triple packs to see wich is better.

Frankly i think the plastic one looks better. The forgeworld one while stillgreat lacks the gothic detailing that makes it "40k"

Also I have heard in this thread "Why would anyone buy 10 leman russ tanks?"

To which my answer is "well why would anyone buy 2 rhinos, a predator annihilator, 4 marine tactical squads, a command squad, a metal chaplain, a terminator squad, a dreadnought, 3 landspeeders, a bunch of special weapons and a devastator box"

Whats that phrase from Waynes world.. "Book them and they will come..."

EDIT : Scythe, my understanding is that the box set includes 3 demolishers. Besides, no-one can argue with 7 battlecannons and 3 demolisher cannons as weapon outfits.

blackdog
09-08-2007, 15:00
But 10 yes !10! Lemon Russ' What is going on. It probly costs 400$ Just for 10 of the same friekin tank.

I do know a box set with 10 Leman Russ Tanks would probably make you go broke.:rolleyes:

The release PDF has the Emperor's Fist Tank Co listed at $275.

Will I be getting one? Damn skippy! And several Baneblades and maybe the Imperial Guard Co ($350 direct only) depending upon what it contains.

my understanding is that the box set includes 3 demolishers.
I believe this was just speculation on the other Apoc thread based on a blurry scan of the promo poster. In this picture (http://us.games-workshop.com/news/sneakpeek/40K/image13.jpg), from the 40k sneak peeks, it looks like 10 vanilla Russ's. I could be wrong but I would imagine that if there were parts for 3 demolishers in the box then they would be included on the box cover photo.

King Thurgun
09-08-2007, 15:24
Wow the savings on all these Apocalypse sets are really great, except for the fact that you're still spending hundreds of dollars. I get more, but pay less... but i still pay out the ass? That is some zen s**t GW.

nathonicus
09-08-2007, 15:41
Apocalypse is looking to be great. The big boxes are expensive, but the bulk discounts are great. And if you don't need ten tanks, then get together with one or two other folks and split the box. You are buying a 45$ tanks for $27.50, what's not to like?

Whether or not you want to play mega battles, some of the deals are going to be great.

I have my eye on several of the tyranid boxes, depending on what they might contain, and am hoping that one of the marine or guard boxes will be a good way to pick up some predators and chimeras. I'll just have to wait and see.

Who knows, maybe apocalypse will boost player interest in games like epic!

Light of the Emperor
09-08-2007, 16:11
All the info on what's in said boxes and the prices thereof can be found in the rumor forum here on Warseer.

Now then, Apocalypse is a great idea on GW's part. First, its a hit with veterans because they are presented with a new set of rules and the inclusion of some old favorites (vortex grenades). Secondly, it gets gamers to buy more stuff which is always good for business. Even if players don't care for apocalypse the sheer savings to be had makes it tempting to buy up boxes regardless. This will give GW a good income spike heading into the holiday season.

Hell, I already have 9 russ, but that 10 russ deal is worth getting more. I might even buy the tau crisis box. Not because I play tau, but because if I do in the future, I will have spent less.

These boxes are just easy ways to amass large forces. Most of them are splash releases which will only be available for a few months before being discontinued.

The baneblade btw is 25% larger than the FW model and IMO is just as nice. I'm definately getting one to put next to my thunderhawk...

Exetus
09-08-2007, 16:30
Many 40k treadheads would LOVE to get their hands on 10 Leman Russ tanks all at once. With the ability to specialize your tanks with Forgeworld kits, it instantly gives you the capability of having ANY variation that you want without having to model the tank body and then turrets all the same for modularity. Each tank can have its own personality and customization which I know some people would love to see and have. And with the Apocalypse battle sizes going from small to unlimited, I can see plenty of people who see this as the ability to turn the game into something truly epic.

Bookwrak
09-08-2007, 16:44
did any of you see the sneek peeks today?

who would buy a box set with 10 leman russ tanks in it?

maybe what? 5% of people who are into the GW hobby are going to buy these gigantic box sets. i dont know it just seems crazy to me.

epic is barely alive and is an awesome game in itself yet GW puts resources into things like Apocolypse. i just dont get it.
My friends and I have plans to buy several of the sets. The Emperor's Fist, 2 of the SM boxes, the Necron player with no liths is going to then have two. The thing is though, that we're going to be splitting all of it up.

And some people are dedicated and fast enough to pick up and paint entire armies at a time.

Vedar
09-08-2007, 18:07
I think it is a good move for GW. Frankly the prices have been just plain stupidly high over the last 10 years. I've bought most of my stuff over the last few years off ebay at about 50% off retail prices. $50 for a tank or $40 for a sqaud is just nuts. I can't bring myself to do it. If larger box sets means 50% savings I just might throw down $200 or split a box like people are saying. This is giving people more options. More options are always good.

Psycoticspacemarine
09-08-2007, 18:32
I love the look of the apocalypse sets i am hoping i can raise the money to get one

Bunnahabhain
09-08-2007, 19:24
Although I will get the 10 russ set, to add to the 6 I have already, so I can field a good variety of different types, I would much prefer a decent discount on 10 Chimeras as I need more, both as basic kits, or as basis for other tanks.

GW should do more bulk discounts.

Meat Shield
09-08-2007, 23:42
I wish i saw more eldar in there. I'm sure if they did like a 3 fire prism set people would buy but so far only 1 little jetbike kit :(

Randy
09-08-2007, 23:47
More options is nto always good.

More options = more different things to make = higher costs = not a good thing.

It's only a good thing if peopel take advantage of the options.

nurgle_boy
10-08-2007, 00:03
Apocolypse box sets will most likely end up being splash releases, and not for permanent sale, and many people will split the contents.

10 russes is great value for money, and bloody useful, even in games of 1500-2000pts using an armoured company, and if you cannnot stick some plastic tubing to a leman russ turret and make a vanquisher, you abviously have no hands.

overall the savings that one gets from the boxes is almost like gw doing a sale. you buy in bulk, you get awsome discount.

Chaplain Ark
10-08-2007, 00:38
The price of the Marine company is 52% less than buying seperatly.

it may be half the price if bought seperatly, but if there is no FoC, then why would people spend points on 10 SM squads?? use the points for like 50 Terminators or tanks. 100 SM is over doing it. now, if they have a SM Veteran company or somthing with like 30 terminators , 5 dreadnoughts, and 2 LR and 5 Predators or something like that, i would definetly spend the money on that. But 100 SM plus Transports, i don't think so.

But i am not against Apocalypse. the Tau rapid reaction force is great for my Commander Farsight Army. Already have a full command squad.

Bulwyf
10-08-2007, 00:52
Our club will buy at least 1 of every Apocalypse release and then split the goods. I imagine that most of the folks buying these box sets will be doing something similar. While 10 Leman Russes is cool I don't need all 10, maybe just 4...

For clubs I think these Apocalypse relases are great deals and I bet the initial runs sell out quickly.

-Will

damz451
10-08-2007, 01:18
im tempted to get a few of the tau crisis suit box's as ive always wanted to make a mech suit heavy tau army.

Should be fun to use my deathwing army, probobly buy a crap load of mortis dreads.

Another option i have looked at is a huge sm army (emperors pointy sticks theme possibly) I'm going to buy loads of space marines from ebay, an ebay shop has 20 marines for around £25 so im thinking of possibly having 100's of space marines, doubt many people would expect to face such a huge space marine army.

I probobly wont touch my dark eldar for apocalypse due to the fact that they wont get anything special and dont want to spend anything on them until they are redone.

thewizardofoz
10-08-2007, 01:35
well if i had the money i'ld buy most the boxes, for myself. the tau suit box will take care of the elites and HQ i need, the tau tank set will knock out my heavy support.
the IG company will help get my guard army underway.
with the great potential savings, i'ld have to buy a SM battle company to start a smurf army, something i said i'ld never do.
the 10 russes would make an armored comapny alot easier.
and any ork stuff when it comes out will be peachy.

Killgore
10-08-2007, 02:00
the eldar army deals have got my attention, my Ulthwe are sadly lacking in wave serpents and jetbikes :)

dam i need to finish painting my Phantom titan and fw Firestorm AA tank

From Shadows
10-08-2007, 02:31
I personally feel that the apoclypse "thing" is just GW way to appease the gaming veterans,which i think is a good thing?

Rioghan Murchadha
10-08-2007, 02:45
Actually, I believe the apocalypse boxes are a way to show that GW hates Canadians.

Necron phalanx US price = $75
Canadian price = $130

This would be fine if the two dollars weren't damn near par. To wander across the border into washington state and buy the box would cost me roughly $79 cdn.

@Ebolahond: Not sure how long you've been playing, but Fantasy and 40k used to be 'just games' for the most part too. The emphasis was far more on having fun games than it was on spending your life converting and painting models. In fact, initially, GW didn't even produce minis in-house. Only since they have become a soulless corporate entity have they really begun flogging "THE HOBBY" and brainwashing people into thinking that painting is more important than the game.

Oh, and just to counterbalance your anecdote about painting:Playing ratio, My Painting:Gaming ratio is roughly 1:1,000,000 I'm a gamer far more than I'm a painter. I don't enjoy it at all. I still get around to it eventually but it's far from a priority.

Master Bait
10-08-2007, 02:51
so does anyone know what is in the Space Marine Battle Company exactly as for vehicles i mean since the infantry is kinda obvious

like 8 rhinos or something? and what about predators? maybe a land raider?

anyone have any information like that?

by the way a company of marines bought singley will cost about 400 pounds
that's with 8 rhinos so if the company will only cost about $350 i will save so much money on buying my blazing eagles chapter :D
check out the rumours forum to make certain, but the company box AFAIK has ten squads of marines (six tactical, two assault & two devastator) with ten rhinos, so a rhino per squad, and also a command squad with an accompanying razorback.

BattleSarge
10-08-2007, 03:11
Apocolypse box sets will most likely end up being splash releases, and not for permanent sale, and many people will split the contents.

If you find the PDF in the rumors section/Sneekpeek section on any GW site, the boxes like the Leman Russ company do have a stock number where as other items are for sale through direct only. The ones with a stock number should be around for a little longer as opposed to those ones that say "Direct Only".

GMMStudios
10-08-2007, 03:16
I will buy a few of the Space Marine Companies to paint and sell. Its everything I need right there, a full company will sell well, and its a decent discount with a online retailer discount stacked on top. Probably what, $250 after the % off? Nice deal.

dugaal
10-08-2007, 04:30
How long do you think these sets will be avaliable for? If apoc comes out in when... October? Will these sets be avaliable come next summer even?

Another question is what the long-term effects of such a massive bulk push will be. After-market prices (ebay, bartertown) will likely drop drastically, as people buy the sets and sell off it off in parts, Not to mention all the rich kids giving up after building leman russ 2/10.

While the aspiration is to have every gamer playing apoc. sized battles, perhaps this trickle-down effect in prices will act as an incentive for new players, who can benefit from cheaper prices on these common units. Or the kids who group together to buy sets of vehicles, only to later require non-apoc boxset, FoC filling units to go with them (combined with GW's new indie retailer push, This could be part of a more sane attempt at increasing the playing base, not just catering to the apoc. crowd)

any other thoughts on this direction? or am I in the wrong thread....

Meat Shield
10-08-2007, 05:12
Dugaal i completely agree with you 100%. I think Apoc is a great idea. Now i don't have enough money to build an Apoc sized army but the possibilities are endless. Splitting boxes with friends.
they even introduced team playing wich means you don't have to be rich to play Apoc. I can't wait till i start playing 10+ player games. I kno the kinda rich kids your talking about. can't stand em.

On second though i do almost have enought money to make a 3000 pt army but so what i don't want to spend all my money on flipping Warhammer. there's better things. I'm getting New skis 4 myself this Winter. I need a new paintball gun, Maybe a new frame for my DH bike. Don't let your life revolve around warhammer its supposed to be a hobby. Don't give GW the satisfaction of sinking your life savings into APOC. because thats exacly what GW whants you to do. I hope APOC goes down The pooper after people start realizing that they have a life outside of Warhammer and its simply not worth building these huge armies. The only thing APOC is good for IMO is Team play and Splitting Boxes with your friends.

PC.

Master Bait
10-08-2007, 05:13
well you can imagine that they'd produce a set amount for the splash release and these get sold so long as there's stock available, but once its gone that's it.

people in the rumour threads also said that the releases of all these multi-model sets is based on the models that have actually done well by themselves and have more than made up for their productions and setup costs through single sales - as a result it only costs GW a few cents to press a sprue, and so they can afford to have these massively discounted sets

Chaplain Ark
10-08-2007, 05:20
Actually, I believe the apocalypse boxes are a way to show that GW hates Canadians.

Necron phalanx US price = $75
Canadian price = $130

This would be fine if the two dollars weren't damn near par. To wander across the border into washington state and buy the box would cost me roughly $79 cdn.

@Ebolahond: Not sure how long you've been playing, but Fantasy and 40k used to be 'just games' for the most part too. The emphasis was far more on having fun games than it was on spending your life converting and painting models. In fact, initially, GW didn't even produce minis in-house. Only since they have become a soulless corporate entity have they really begun flogging "THE HOBBY" and brainwashing people into thinking that painting is more important than the game.

Oh, and just to counterbalance your anecdote about painting:Playing ratio, My Painting:Gaming ratio is roughly 1:1,000,000 I'm a gamer far more than I'm a painter. I don't enjoy it at all. I still get around to it eventually but it's far from a priority.

1: i find the GW hates Canadians very funny.

2: I SUCK at painting and my Painting/gaming ratio is probably the same.

3: I still have my Black Eldar force made of 16 dire avengers and 16 guardians and a Farseer that are only based and primed. Hence the Black Eldar of the Ulthwe craftworld. Hooah.

Chaplain Ark
10-08-2007, 05:23
and to clear things up, i scoured a Rumor website and found a poster showing what was in the SM company box. i can't remember where or how i found it so don't ask.

IIRC, it contained 10 squads of Tactical Marines, 5 Devastator squads, and Transports for the company. if it had more, I can't remember.

Hope that helps.

Meat Shield
10-08-2007, 05:27
how come nobody ever reacts to my posts?

Master Bait
10-08-2007, 05:32
because that last post was kinda pointless?

saying there's some sort of Orwellian agenda in what GW are doing is just silly.

people will live their lives they want to, and if that involves buying ten tanks or going skiing then let them

Meat Shield
10-08-2007, 05:35
It just makes me mad how baldy GW id ripping us off. yet its so addicting .. lol

Chaplain Ark
10-08-2007, 05:46
W40k-a-holics...UNITE!

Meat Shield
10-08-2007, 05:50
Pretty soon there's gunna be WH40K-Aholics Annonymous.

My name is Steve and i'm a WH40k-Aholic.
''The first steps admitting it'', said Bill.

Master Bait
10-08-2007, 05:59
It just makes me mad how baldy GW id ripping us off. yet its so addicting .. lol

you're mad they create a product, that people want, and they do it so they can earn money and actually do this for a living?

WOW :wtf:

Chaplain Ark
10-08-2007, 06:00
its sad because it could actually be real.

Meat Shield
10-08-2007, 06:22
you're mad they create a product, that people want, and they do it so they can earn money and actually do this for a living?

WOW :wtf:

Nooooo, I'm mad because they could make just as much money if they lowerd the prices a little bit to make it more mainstream. this would also benifit the players in more ways then one. Plus i'm Canadian so i get double screwed.

Ronin_eX
10-08-2007, 07:58
Me and a friend will be picking up the SM company box and splitting the contents. I may already have 7000 points of DA but a few more squads and some transports never hurt anyone. Seriously, they say Apocalypse is meant for veteran players with huge armies and then they make these massive boxed sets. To me it looks like less of a sell to older players and more like and excuse to sell even more models. But you wont hear me complain too much as I reap the reward on the low priced stuff. Seriously this stuff is great if you split the cost with your group.

Frgt/10
10-08-2007, 09:15
IIRC, it contained 10 squads of Tactical Marines, 5 Devastator squads, and Transports for the company. if it had more, I can't remember

not true; the battle company is 6 tac squads, 2 assault, 2 dev, 10 rhinos, a commander, command squad and a razorback.

there's a post on these forums somewhere showing it in its entirety.

Shadowheart
10-08-2007, 09:27
Aren't we all taught to be openminded and accepting of variety? Can't we treat hobbies like gods and sexual preferences? Mmkay?

It's just big boxes of toys, I don't get how it's hard to wrap your head around someone buying them. You'd think anyone that pays GW prices for, well, GW products wouldn't doubt the human ability to make large investments in trivial pastimes.

I've concidered the sets, but there doesn't seem to be anything for me. I'm a Guard collector primarily, but buying second hand lots over the years has already left me with seventeen Russ tanks. I think what they should do is make a similar boxed set of Chimeras. Would allow anyone with an existing Guard army to upgrade to mechanised infantry in a hurry.

The Marine company is tempting though. A full company has been a bit of a dream of mine for many years. But it remains a crapload of money to drop in one go, and I've got other purchases in mind for the near future.

scratchbuilt
10-08-2007, 09:49
The worrying thing to me is the implication that GW get the majority of their money from the big spenders. Which is bad news for the those of us who are cheap. But there'll always be ebay.

Lord Malorne
10-08-2007, 10:10
well i see apoc as an interesting reward for people who happen to have the models and for people who will end up having them. i myself have around 5000pts of black templars and this was before i heard about apoc (lol i thought it was a prank!) which with the new release i now have a reason to have all my models in a, so i hope, easy to play expansion!

and for people who collect it represents something to look forward to, to play with all the miniatures they own! who can really say out there how many people have or will have a large army of 40k and now they can play with all of it instead of standard games were they switch which models they use!

personaly i'm gonna go nuts and buy the battle company maybe moore than once!

i want to own my own templar crusade.....(Maniacal laughter!)

Carlos
10-08-2007, 11:29
personaly i'm gonna go nuts and buy the battle company maybe moore than once!

i want to own my own templar crusade.....(Maniacal laughter!)

The world needs more 40K player like you!

Iron_Wolves
10-08-2007, 14:15
I will be the one to buy the battle company and the vindies. If they made the battle company into a chaos box I would buy 2 of them.

dugaal
10-08-2007, 14:44
I completely agree with the Chaos sentiment; If they released a box with maybe 6 csm squads, 2 possessed, the inevitable 2 berserkers, or maybe a termie squad and lord, with maybe 6 rhinos a defiler and LR, id snatch it up.

Or what they could do (but it would effect their new chaos releases) is release an add-on box with enough vehicle and squad chaos accessory sprues to go with the company box to turn them all into renegades. Given the`'Red Corsair' nature of the new codex this could work out nicely. or hell, buy these yourself to go with it.

As I mentioned previously, im actually hoping for the previously mentioned trickle effect to occur; then I can mechanize my death guard with all the sell-off rhinos

Chaplain Ark
10-08-2007, 17:47
does anyone know what forum had the pdf containing GW release dates for the upcoming year? i can't seem to find it.

Meat Shield
12-08-2007, 21:24
I thought i'd trie and bring this forum back it seemed so promising and then it just dissapeard. Does anybody kno when any new sneak peeks will come out?

Waaagh Grignak
12-08-2007, 21:29
This is going to Rock \m/

One of my mates has challanged me to a Baneblade arms race... the fool; i build and paint much quicker than him hahahahaha:evilgrin:

Seriuosly tho, we are going to play a few games using the old "Epic Space Marine" army cards to build our armies, put squads on huge epic stands perhaps (saw it at games day 1992!!!).

Meat Shield
13-08-2007, 01:12
I really hope they introduce movement trays.

Scythe
13-08-2007, 10:13
I really hope they introduce movement trays.

It would certainly help a lot if models in the same unit would be forced to stay into base to base contact.

Hmm, blast weapons will have a great time in apocalypse I think...:D

Nkari
13-08-2007, 11:18
Ive been wondering tho.. lets l“play apocalypse games on 8 by 4 inch tables.. with 5000 pts.. ugh.. its epic in 28mm scale, without the table space to have it.. wich imho suxxors.. tho translating the apocalypse rules to epic scale could be interesting.. or mabye not.. Im sooo "meh!" about apocalypse.. I dont see the reason for it..

grickherder
13-08-2007, 11:26
Lots of people who play on flatter terrain already use movement trays. As long as the terrain is suitable, they work quite well. For Apocalypse, they'd almost be a must.

Scythe
14-08-2007, 09:23
Ive been wondering tho.. lets l“play apocalypse games on 8 by 4 inch tables.. with 5000 pts.. ugh.. its epic in 28mm scale, without the table space to have it.. wich imho suxxors.. tho translating the apocalypse rules to epic scale could be interesting.. or mabye not.. Im sooo "meh!" about apocalypse.. I dont see the reason for it..

Even if you don't like all the apocalypse stuff, the large model boxes sold with discounts are positive for everyone, right?

grickherder
14-08-2007, 09:41
I'm looking forward to the flood of cheap models on eBay when these come out and are broken down and sold by the discounters/bitz operators who also run a brick/mortar store. They already do it with battleforces.

Though I must admit -- box of 10 spawns is just plain cool.