PDA

View Full Version : SM Company box set - whose getting one? why? and how you gona do em?

asmodai_dark86
10-08-2007, 03:11
Evening all,

I think this might be my first every post in 40k general discussion, how very strange.

Anyways I've been lured by the shiney thing once again and have vowed that I will buy the new company box set (seeing as its roughly only 2 quid per marine with free rhinos for nearly all of em - retailing on pre-order for 220 quid. 270 if you go through GW although there no on pre-order. Due date is 13th of october). However I'm holding back as I cant think of which chapter to do, so....

If your buying the company box set...

WHO?
Well, this is kinda covered by you posting, but hey.

WHY?
What makes you want to buy the Company box? Is your current army too small, are you starting anew, or is it just something you've always wanted to do?

See since they made the whole ultramarine chapter a few years back I've been hankering for a large force but never had the staying power to actually do it, nor the money. Its also to fufil my ambition of having a totally finished army at some point.
On top of this theres the armour to buy, but then again I always prefered the foot slogging marines so one vindicator and one whirlwind at most. Likewise with bikes and such - one squad of bikes and land speeders will do. Theres also two predators - one of each variant that'll be magnatised so I dont have to buy two squadrons. On top of that theres chaplains, techmainres, and librarians to consider... but I dont mind splashing out on those as Ill likely do decent conversions and spend a small age doing each. And of course, a terminator squad in a Land Raider. Oh and a dreadnought.
All in all, I'd like to spend less then the cost of a second company getting all the necessary add ons.

Basically, I want the ability to write a marine list, and know I have the models in my cabinet... Christ I forgot to add a scout squad onto the list.

HOW?
How do you intend to build and paint all those marines? Is there any specific ideas you have in mind or is it simply a case of seeing how you feel when there in your hand.

Personally this is my reason for starting this thread. I mean I have a few ideas but nothing thats really sticking. My space wolves will carry on as is, and I might build them upto apocolypse level (Hell, I might buy a company box just for the rhinos and sell the marines), but I do want a different marine force. So far, my list is...

Salamanders
Pros - My second ever marine chapter, and one I like. Led to many bitter years of me mumbling about how they've been forgotten and such.
Cons - I cant paint green to save my life. It's just one of those things I cant do. Meh it'd help me learn but then again I'd never be happy.

Scythes of the Emperor
Pros - Easy as hell to do. Mainly black with a little bit of yellow which is a doddle for me. Also have a cool background.
Cons - Suppose to be nearly wiped out. Doesnt make sense to have a company of the buggers running about.

Iron Snakes
Pros - My recent Grey knights have shown me painting grey is cool, fun, and ******* easy to make look cool.
Cons - I'm reading iron snakes and thats probably the only reason why there on this list. There also pretty individualistic by the looks of it and I'd like something a bit more... uniformed really.
(Ideally something based around the foundation paints, as it makes the job so much easier - unless GW bring back different color spray paints.)

Building wise I plan on doing two squads at a time so I cant do all the assault marines at once for example, and then adding in there transports. I also plan on saving most of the add ons (scopes, pouches) until everythings finished and I've 'bloodied' each squad in a few games. As al the squads will have markings, I can effectively keep track of how weel each squads done and add purity seals appropriately (yes I'm a loon, but hey I believe in things being lucky).
See as a gamer I like knowing when a squads done well, and having a full company with the right markings and a handy pen will help do that and thats part of why I like apocolypse; its getting back to being fun! Although the first thing I'll have to do when I start painting a model is give him a serial number incase the bugger breaks :D

So, tell me what your doing??

I'm also pondering getting together a 'Tales of Chapter building' log if anyones interested in tagging along then please PM - It'll encourage me to do it and it'll stop us all having half a painted company sitting in a box come this time next year.

GMMStudios
10-08-2007, 03:22
I actually just answered this question in another thread, but to repeat it: I will be buying a few to paint and sell. Its A) Everything I need in one place. B) A whole company together will sell well. C) Its a great deal, especially when adding on a online retailers discount.

HiveFleetEzekial
10-08-2007, 03:37
If I can save up the money before they stop selling them, most definately!

Why? Well, it's a steal when you consider the price of all of it when bought seperately (free rhinos pretty much). And will really help me fill out my troops and alternative/swapp outs for weapns, characters and such, not to mention finishing the current successor army I'm working on for my DA.

How to use them? See above. Also, test schemes for those other chapters I'd like to just have a squad or so of (Hawk Lords), or use as example figures for later commision paintings (have a few of several chapters, just to show how they'll look. k' maybe that'd require a whole extra box! lol)

Joewrightgm
10-08-2007, 03:38
If (VERY BIG) I get one, I'll do them as Crimson Fists. They were reduced to less than a company during the Rynn's World Incident, but I figure they'd have their recruitment numbers up enough to bring out at least 106 marines.

Of course I'd add a Dreadnought and give everybody drop pods . . .

VetSgtNamaan
10-08-2007, 03:49
I will need two I think. I am looking to finish off my Dark Angels chapter and the two will put me pretty darn close to having it all.

inquisitorautry
10-08-2007, 03:51
I plan on getting one.
Why? Because I'm sick and have an addiction to all things plastic/metal and gaming related.
How?More than likely Mentor Legion, just for the reason that you never see them anywhere.

jhon
10-08-2007, 03:52
hey , i got over one hundred marines [ choas / loyal] sitting at my house prainted . just think about , all you need is buy one box and in that box it contant all the marines you need for the rest of your life .....

Slaaneshi Slave
10-08-2007, 04:08
I already have about a company and a half, but I'll probably get one... Why? Why not!

Ironhand
10-08-2007, 04:25
I don't need one, I've got enough figures for more than a full company already.

The big change for me is whereas my original plan was to paint forces from a couple of different chapters, now I'll paint them all as Dark Angels to give me a full battle company for Apocalypse.

Maximus_Prime
10-08-2007, 04:44
I'd get one to start a DIY chapter, but with my 7.05-an-hour loser wage at mcdonalds and since I just spent $190 on the CSM army, I guess I'll have to miss out on this one =[

Master Bait
10-08-2007, 04:56
How?More than likely Mentor Legion, just for the reason that you never see them anywhere.

you should check out the painting forums, there's a guy there with a beautifully painted bunch of Mentors

Iron_Wolves
10-08-2007, 05:09
Why? This will make my 3rd Company on my chapter "the_VIRUS", I would buy 2 if they made chaos boxes.

How? All of these models will be converted some how.

natedogg710
10-08-2007, 05:12
I'm not getting one because I don't need anymore marines. If I were to get one though, I would probably split it with another marine player. Each of us getting 3 Tactical Squads, a Devastator squad, an Assault Squad, 4 Rhinos, and either a command squad or Commander is pretty good for just over $200.

Nurglitch
10-08-2007, 05:26
Apocalypse is going to have one heck of an impact on the after-market.

cleansingfury
10-08-2007, 06:23
So how much is one of these in the states?

If I get one it will be done as a 3rd company for the burning flames divergent chapter!

Iceheart2112
10-08-2007, 06:31
*IF* I get one (which is entirely doubtful, as I'm quite happy with the little list I have now) they would be more Mantis Warriors. As much as I'd love the opportunity to get it, though, I can absolutely guarantee that it will *never* get painted. Put together, sure. Converted, most likely. Painted...well, the Emperor's gonna get up off his throne before that happens.

Edit: Painted by me, that is. It is entirely possible that I'll break down and pay someone to paint them.

Drogmir
10-08-2007, 06:44
I think I might split a box with my friend.

but I'll be finishing that god damn Ultramarines army that always seems to be too small to fight an effective game.

That's my only reason.

I guess I'll be doing my units by 5 for maximum detail and battle tactics.

Aun'aart'al
10-08-2007, 06:57
1 for my Iron Dragons DIY Chapter, but 2 if I can afford it/if they'll let me, although depending on the models used (blank "neutral" marines, or some parts to distinguish them (like the BT Crusader sprews), I may end up doing some converting

oh, and I'll probably aim for like.. 20 marines built/week, and then maybe 1.5 rhinos/week after that, depending on how fast I manage

Hellbore
10-08-2007, 08:44
I'd get one to start my Tempest Legion DIY marines
And beyond that, why not? :D

pookie
10-08-2007, 10:42
if i can get someone to split one with me then yeah i'l get one, but as ive just bought a house, still paying off my wedding and the need to live! i doubt i'l get one.

If i do, it will be to bulk out my BT fighting company maybe turn it into a mini crusade.

Lord Malorne
10-08-2007, 11:12
lol same thing here Pookie! though i am tempted to start a brotherhood of a thousand army as this would be a great excuse!

paspinall
10-08-2007, 11:55
I MAY get one, it depends how much I spend on the Imperial guard releases too... I actually have over a company of marines already, and more characters than I can count, but the current marines are all varying releases right from 2nd ed so I may well split them in to smaller aries for standard games and with the addition of some of my extras, and probably more tanks, turn the company box in to my Apocalypse army.

As for painting them, I;m not sure, most of my marines need a repaint so I could turn these in to the Ultramarines to go with all the special characters I have already, or I may go for a lesser known army, or even make my own, I just havent decided yet, probably wont until i have the box infront of me.

My only problem at the moment is the only time I will have at home to be able to accept delivery is near the end of October, and as yet there is nothing on the website I intend to buy from that has a release date later than the 13th, so I shall just have to wait patiently and hope they done sell all their pre-orders !

Lord Malorne
10-08-2007, 12:02
Intresting...most people already have a company+ of marines. i myself have more than a company so the majority of people will be prepared for apoc and will more than likely splash out on more marines...ahhh i do so love the power armour!

cleansingfury
10-08-2007, 16:30
Hey everyone in the US, it will cost us any where from $450 to $550.

Rabid Bunny 666
10-08-2007, 19:13
If i have the money, theyn yes.

Why? 100 Maines in dire need of being "Renegaded" (or renegadified :)) for my WIP Corsair army.