PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse - the Unpainted War?

Souleater
10-08-2007, 14:41
How fast and how much of your Apocalypse force is going to be painted and how much grey plastic and unpainted metal?

Do you aim to get 10K points painted in a month? Six?

Are you already the proud possessor of a full prepped army?

Myself, I hardly ever get around to finishing painting stuff and finacinal constrastraints mean that I won't be bolstering any of my forces for the Apocalypse. Hopefully we should get some team games in, however.

What's your hoped for painting schedule?

dugaal
10-08-2007, 14:53
well I suspect this is what the foundation paints are intended for (plus just a good idea) and this might be my imagination but wasn't there some rumors of a GW airbrush coming out? At the very least we will probably see articles on Apocalypse painting up on GW's site
If group games come into play It would seem nessessary to get some colours on your models, or differentiating whats yours could prove difficult.

I personally cant get more than a mini a day, and thats trying to paint... a whole battle company or some such would be insane. Though im planning on getting some plastic CSM to help out my 3rd ed. metals, nothing near apoc. levels.

(and souleater, you MUST make a log of the "Prancing Wolf's Fallen Space Wolves of Slaanesh " when the box arrives... thats bound to get some SW players frothing, and sounds awesome)

Huw_Dawson
10-08-2007, 15:01
Well, there was that article in White Dwarf 300 about that polish store owner - The article was called "The Madness of King Artur" - who had an entire blood angel chapter (55000pts) that he painted in two weeks... I don't think anyone on warseer is that crazy, but still, it shows that it IS possible!

- Huw

guillimansknight
10-08-2007, 15:12
Well, there was that article in White Dwarf 300 about that polish store owner - The article was called "The Madness of King Artur" - who had an entire blood angel chapter (55000pts) that he painted in two weeks... I don't think anyone on warseer is that crazy, but still, it shows that it IS possible!

- Huw

well 's that was his job effectivley

also he is the No:1 speed painter by far

but even BUYING an apoc army is going to be hard

Light of the Emperor
10-08-2007, 15:20
I'm a speed painter so I can get things done if necessary. Thankfully, almost everything I own is painted.

Everything I have is Imperial so I can easily combine forces:

2,100 points of Armored Company (9 Russ)
2,300 points of Mechanized Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (6 rhinos, 1 landraider)
1,800 points (and growing) of Vostroyan Infantry (120+ infantry)
1,000 points (and growing) of Grey Knights

I'm continuing work on both my IG Vostroyans and Grey Knights to get them up to full size armies. The only other thing I need to paint from start to finish is my Grey Knight Thunderhawk which is almost 1,000 points right there.

All in all, I'd say my imperial forces come to around 8,000 points.

br00n0
10-08-2007, 15:44
I just love this thread's title. So true. So true.

Slaaneshi Slave
10-08-2007, 15:56

- Huw

Well they were the worst painted models you'll ever see. Not even tabletop standard. Then again, I'd rather have a crap painted army than a grey and silver army.

paddyalexander
10-08-2007, 16:18
Players who've been playing for a number of years won't have this problem as most of these gamers will already have an extensive range of models, a lot of which will already be painted to some degree or other.

Kulgur
10-08-2007, 16:27
Thankfully I've got bits of marines guard and witch hunters I can combine. I still can't see myself hitting even 3k though

Egaeus
10-08-2007, 16:37
As I don't like to field anything before it's painted, I will have to go with what I have, but that is already 5000+ points of Marines (two different armies), 3000+ points worth of 'Nids, and a small Armoured Company (6 Leman Russes, a Basilisk and an Armoured Fist squad). Plus a few squads of various Inquisitorial units.

Actually, I'm hoping Apocalypse will actually get me started painting again, as I haven't done anything in quite a while but I still keep buying more models.

Bugstomper
10-08-2007, 17:11
I think too much emphasis is being put on having your own 6000pt army, personally i see this game as being more of an opportunity for people to have team games with their friends on a large scale that don't take 3 days to play. Not many people are realistically going to take 6000pts of stuff into a store or to their local club.

Not that it's a problem for me, only me newer tau and necron armies don't have enough points for a mega battle so i'm happy on my own or a team :)

Moriarty
10-08-2007, 17:15
Battle Company of Marines already painted, based and ready to go.

'Course, the Freebooter Orks are coming on a little slower..... but they won't be fielded 'nekkid', as I'm picky that way.

Chaplain Ark
10-08-2007, 17:20
there is no chance in heaven or in hell that i will ever be able to paint a whole box of Apoc. stuff.

Dreachon
10-08-2007, 17:54
I have about 7000pts of fully painted IW standing ready to be let loose this october.

Sir_Turalyon
10-08-2007, 18:01

Notice there were no close ups of his models in article... for a very good reason! According to witnesses (Sir_Glonojad among them) these paint jobs are awful. Mere ability to cover hundereds of models with three+ colours in short time is not good enough.

As for Apocalypse... I am a collector type, so some of my armies are already big collections of painted models impossible to field as one FOC - with Apocalypse I will be able to use them whole. Other armies are still FOC-sized; i will collect and paint them in time and play regular games with them. I have too much pleasure from steadily expanding my collections to spoil it by hastily bringing it to Apocalypse size.

The Laughing God
10-08-2007, 18:17
Well my necrons are about 3000pts, and I have a 3,000 point DE army on hold till new codex. And I'm working on a nid army for apocalypse, lots of big bugs. Hopefully a Trygon in the future. Painting wise I have gone the easy path. Dipping! I think that we will see a lot of dipped and airbrushed armies.

-The Laughing God-

Keichi246
10-08-2007, 18:36
For me?

Not really an issue at all...

I really, really, try not to put minis on the table that aren't painted. It just looks like $%#. So most of my armies are mostly painted already. And if it's not - I generally just don't play with it. We tend to play 40k in my basement, on my 4x8 table. I'm vaguely considering seeing if I can't cobble together an extension to make it a 6x8 table.

I can already field 3K + points with most of my armies (Necrons and Grey knights top out about 2.5k), and the allied rules will probably get me over 10k of Imperials if i wanted.

Currently, I am rehabilitating my Cadian army. I have about 30 infantry left to finish painting, and as many heavy weapons teams as I can cobble together out of the remains of my bits box. Combined with the two armored companies I have (15+ tanks), and the Baneblade and Stormblade I have - I should easily be able to field a force of whatever size i want. As far as apocalypse purchases go - I know I'm probably getting a Baneblade to round out that squadron.After that - it depends on how i feel.

Once that's done - I'll return to the repaint of my Tau force - which is approaching 60% complete. That's a 5K+ plus force as well (just currently 2 different paint schemes). If I happen to finish the repaint by Apocalypse, I'll look at buying more Tau. (The hammerhead and reaction force sets look tasty- and are easier to paint than infantry)

For me - I just ENJOY building painting tanks and armored vehicles... Apocaplyse is a dream come true for me.

VetSgtNamaan
10-08-2007, 19:07
Well I suspect that I will never finish painting my chapter. But that is okay since I would rather play than paint, not everyone feels that way but thats how I feel about things. I find our group tends to fall into two categories those who paint alot (We have 4 fine art students) tend to have alot of time to devote to the hobby. Those of us in the workforce with other demands tend not to be able to devote the same amount of time so the paintings need to go much slower. To me the hobby is playing fluffy armies with extensive background for my models and units. Though I have recently started to divert time and effort to playing a hall of heroes here and there to broaden my playing experience.

NotElite
10-08-2007, 19:07
If I can ally my Imperials, I'll have 5-6k of combined Marines and IG.

I'm dreading facing the combined forces of our 3 Necron players.

killa kan kaus
10-08-2007, 20:44
how long are apoc games going to last 6k vs. 6k is a LONG GAME. Also will it be limited to 6 turns?

nurgle_boy
10-08-2007, 21:14
Well, I'm set for painting, its the building thats the problem. I plan to do an Ork armoured company (almost entirely VDR) from pretty much scratchbuild. its gonna take a while.

the painting however, is simple. 1) they're tanks. 2) its a Goff force! nothing beats black and white!

chromedog
11-08-2007, 02:15
I'm just going to use my existing 8000pts of painted marines. My re-inforced company (infantry with supporting elements from other companies.)
100 tac marines, 2 terminator squads from 1st co, 2 Landspeeder sqdns, 2 Scout squads, 2 razorbacks, 6 rhinos,2 Predators & whirlwinds, 3 vindicators & 2 land raiders. If I want extra, I can add another 2k of Daemonhunters.
All of this is painted. (to a tabletop, not games day golden demon qualifying standard. :D )

I have had the marines for the better part of 20 years, though (vehicles somewhat less time).

zeep
11-08-2007, 03:11
I see large hordes of flat black or flat white, primed army's in our future.

.....So, does anybody know if spray primer comes in 1 gallon refill packs? :D

adreal
11-08-2007, 04:51
Well i have slightly over 1500pts of my Dark Angels based and painted, having a job kinda cuts down on my painting time, but I do try, I want all my tacticals at least painted (60 marines) but I just like painting character models (1 master, 2 chaplains, 2 librarians)

11-08-2007, 05:27
if I can combine imperials I am ready....All I need is to get my hands on a baneblade...(also some sisters of battle)

everything in my sig is painted. except the Orcses as I just got them in a mega deal. and three new HE Heros (need to find their points now)

BDJV
11-08-2007, 07:33
Apocalypse will not be an upainted war on any table I own. :rolleyes:

I have taken the time to paint my armies (two of 'em easily 4K in points) and make some really nice terrain.

Why in the heck would I want an unpainted miniature spoiling the eye candy?

Yup, I'm a painting snob! :evilgrin:

Ddraiglais
11-08-2007, 08:27
I have an easy fix for you. 1 imperator would be around 5K+ points. If you have an airbrush, it shouldn't take you more than 2-3 weeks to paint one. LOL

Bunnahabhain
11-08-2007, 08:53
Painted, I have about 6 k of Guard, of which about 1/3 is still being moved up from my minimum basic standard to a reasonable tabletop one. The work in progress may not be great, but it has the same basic colour scheme as the rest of the army, so doesn't stand out the same way bare models or undercoat does.

dante76
11-08-2007, 09:27
You could aways use the boxes as proxys.:)

Moralein
11-08-2007, 09:38
I've just had to move house, so can see another problem with Apocalypse. I've got 25 armoured vehicles, including a couple of super heavies and around 600 guardsmen and everything is painted (it has taken around 10yrs on and off!). To move all that lot took several large cardboard boxes and a van!

I can see a typical game taking weeks-and that's just moving your army bit by bit to your mates house!

Scythe
11-08-2007, 11:35
I have 7000-8000 points of Tyranids painted, including a Hierophant bio-titan, so no problems there. ;)

My IG will add up to about 3000-4000 points all painted, including allies, so still playable for your average apocalypse game.

Hellebore
11-08-2007, 11:55
I think the unpainted horde will be a symptom of newer players trying to create an Apocalypse force rather than 'veterans' not having enough painted models.

I don't think I've got 8000 points of a single army completely painted, but I've easily got that in multiple different ones.

Hellebore

AmKhaibitu
11-08-2007, 12:43
Perhaps I should get back to working on my necron horde, I own over 4000 point of the buggers, just never got them all painted.

Merceus
11-08-2007, 13:09
Well cos of the new chaos marines I thought it was time to update my colour scheme... foolish, foolish me... it took me almost a month to get the first 5-man squad painted... I've started a predator and am half way through an obliterator...

Then the other night I started a squad of 7 plague marines... and they're nearly done... I have no idea how... but im betting that I'll be able to get between 1 and 2K done by apocalypse, the rest will have to be painted from there...

I did have 9k of CSM originally... but the new codex has dropped it to 7K... so i have to paint even more to get a usable army... gah!!

Randy
11-08-2007, 13:19
Yeh but now you get more guys for your points :P

Chaplain Ark
11-08-2007, 20:16
Perhaps I should get back to working on my necron horde, I own over 4000 point of the buggers, just never got them all painted.

IMO, necrons should be the easiest to paint for a basic color scheme. base coat them a bolt gun metal, dry brush heavily a mithril silver, then a light dry brush of tin bitz for a rusty look.
But thats just me as i have no patience for painting so that would probably be best for me.

Merceus
11-08-2007, 20:23
Yeh but now you get more guys for your points :P

in a way I suppose... but the 2000pts I lost was all wargear, gifts and veteran skills... I never bought these in actual army lists, trying to keep rices to a minimum... and with the increase of points for half the weapons im actually getting less models for my points, yet the over all army costs less...