PDA

View Full Version : Iron Warrior Army using the 4 Cults...

MrPickles
10-08-2007, 21:55
Alright, I was thinking of some ideas for conversion oppurtunities for the 4 cults in an Iron Warriors army. Here is what I have come up with:

Khorne Berzerkers: Iron Warriors armed with servo arms and claws.

Noise Marines: Iron Warriors armed with pre-heresy weapons.

Thousand Sons: Iron Warriors armed with a force-field carrying champion, and boltguns that use special ammo. Psychic powers could be represented by an antique weapon. You could reason that the psychic test is a test to see if the weapon still works.

Plague Marines: Iron Warriors in Ancient/Techmarine armor with bionics.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to model/develop any of these ideas?

W0lf
10-08-2007, 23:03
nothing wrong with your ideas.

Not quite sure what your expecting people to say???

MrPickles
11-08-2007, 00:21
Ideas on how to model this kind of stuff? What kind of guns would look good on iron warriors to represent sonic weapons? How to represent heavier armor on marines? And just general feedback on the ideas themselves.

dcikgyurt
11-08-2007, 01:04
It certainly looks like a good idea. I can however see you falling into the trap of using too many Necron parts. I would say though, that the flayed one hands might look good on a unit of Khorne berserkers with the full servo harness on the guys with plasma pistols. As for the armour, I have no clue. Maybe build it up with a bit of green stuff?

Maynard
11-08-2007, 01:25
In stead of the psychic test being a test to see if the ancient weapon still works why not have it that it's a test to see if the Sergeant can prove his mastery over the ancient technology?

Looks good though, I'd like to see those plague marines!

MrPickles
11-08-2007, 01:59
Good idea Maynard. I am still contemplating what I could use to represent an "ancient" weapon. Any ideas? As far as a force field/heavy armor goes, I was thinking of taking the antennas off a tau shield drone and attaching it to the champion's backpack upside down. Good idea? Bad idea? Suggestions?

logosloki
11-08-2007, 02:19
for the forcefield you could just use a shield drone, showing that these Iron warriors have been mixing with tau tech. it could be like the helm bearer for the chapter master of the dark angels, its there but doesn't take up space and is put to one side if it is in the way.

As for antique weapons you could use psycannons or space crusade weapons. Again I would recommend tau bitz as well but that just bias because my bitz box is full of tau weapons (those xv8s and 88s are gold for spare weapons).

Noise marines, if you don't want to do too many conversions could just be iron warriors with captured sonic weapons. its cheap but it might work.

As for heavy armor are you against fantasy models? if not have a look at the chaos warriors regiment

MrPickles
11-08-2007, 03:04
Good ideas logosloki. It would make sense that my iron warriors have sonic weapons and tau equipment due to the fact that they are the veteran 1st Grand Company. The chaos warriors look as if they would require a bit of work, but I might look into them.

grickherder
11-08-2007, 04:02
Khorne Berzerkers: Iron Warriors armed with servo arms and claws.

This would certainly work. You could pretty much arm any Iron Warrior up to the teeth with extra close combat weapons and call it a day. You could also take khorne berzerkers, maybe do a head swap and paint them like iron warriors.

Name for the Squad: Iron Berzerkers

Noise Marines: Iron Warriors armed with pre-heresy weapons.

That's a cool idea. Sonic Blasters are basically storm bolters with a little something extra. They can fire like storm bolters or do an extra shot if you don't move, so maybe a triple bolter? You could shave and form them together to maybe make a tri-barrel with two together on the bottom and one above or below. Doom sirens are basically flamers that cut through armour really, really well. Flamer bits are plentiful in people bits boxes and on ebay. You could make something like a couple flamer type weapons mounted on the backpacks like a Broadside's two big guns. You could also make the backpack a big fuel tank. A blast master is a big honking gun. Maybe convert something out of various guns and a bit like the big dragon gun barrels off the chaos vehicle sprue?

Name for the Squad - Perturabo's Children

Thousand Sons: Iron Warriors armed with a force-field carrying champion, and boltguns that use special ammo.

I'd put a force field generating type backpack on each marine. Something suitably large to make it understandable why they are slow and purposeful. You could also replace their legs with small tank treads or something like that. Epic Rhinos or some other tank off of eBay would be a cheap source, but might be a bit small.

Name of the Squad: Iron Sons

Psychic powers could be represented by an antique weapon. You could reason that the psychic test is a test to see if the weapon still works.

Do Iron Warriors never have sorcerers or psykers? But the idea of some strange weapon is certainly cool as well. So would some sort of psyker technology-- imagine a bunch of tubes and stuff going into their head.

Plague Marines: Iron Warriors in Ancient/Techmarine armor with bionics.

This would work. You could also give them riot style shields or something like that. They'd be pretty cool painted up with the caution stripes.

Name of Squad: Iron Guard? Iron Plague?

jhon
11-08-2007, 05:08
you know... iron warrior do use Berzerkers .... in strom of iron , one of the gand company champion was the host of a greater deamon of krone ..also they got techno virus too

MrPickles
11-08-2007, 05:33
I think I might use the radar back packs like the ones in the devestator box to represent force fields. That way I could use the models to represent plague marines, thousand sons, or regular marines. Does anyone know of any other good techy looking marine back packs?

11-08-2007, 05:36
I also think Chaos warriors from fantasy would look nice.

you can use some dwarf or Empire guns for your ainceint guns...okok so not that old :)

Puffin Magician
11-08-2007, 05:37
This is a cool idea. Definitely equip the Thousand Sons Marines with a cumbersome force field/backpack as suggested, a very apt way at representing S&P, I think. The Plague Marines can be given MkIII armour or something equally bulky. I don't get how Sonic = pre-Heresy, even from a representation perspective. They could just be wacky energy weapons, or existing weapons that have been tweaked by the Iron Warsmiths.

Do Iron Warriors never have sorcerers or psykers?I think he means using the Psychic Power/Attack to represent ancient, weird weaponry. Powers that enhance CC attacks can be combat servos, and any ranged attack can be "counted as" a weapon [Fury of the Ancients works similarly to a Vibrocannon, etc].

MrPickles
11-08-2007, 07:25
Bingo. MKIII armor will work PERFECTLY for iron warriors using plague marine rules. Can anyone tell me if this includes arms and a backpack:

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947010132230&orignav=9

Ddraiglais
11-08-2007, 08:15
I was just thinking about the sonic weapons. Maybe you could do a partial techno-virus thing. Use the old obliterators or just their arms on normal marines. Say that they were given the virus, but were resistant to it. It gave them some heavier weapons, but didn't make them full obliterators.

Penmarch'
11-08-2007, 11:06
I too play Iron Warriors lookalikes- call them the Bronze Guardians, you're definitely not intersted in my fluff- and somehow I wanted them to have an 'ancient' look.
For instance I gave my Havocs old style weaponry- 1980's style- and this makes for some really Pre- Heresy looking models.

Worsle
11-08-2007, 13:39
Unless I have gone crazy we used to have chaos androids did we not? It seems like some thing like that would be ideal for the plague marine rules.

MrPickles
11-08-2007, 15:43
http://www.tauonline.org/ViewContent.php?id=234

Scroll down to MK 3 armor. It would work perfectly to rerpresent plague marines or thousand sons. But, I need to know if this includes arms and a backpack:

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947010132230&orignav=9

Merceus
11-08-2007, 19:38
I cant see the pic in the online store... but by the looks of that taupnline site the arms appear to be part of the body... I'd assume the backpack is as well... If the backpack doesn't come with you can just order some later, but I think its just one big hunk of metal with no parts other than the base...

MrPickles
11-08-2007, 21:37
Well, atleast I found what he looks like:

http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=9947010132230&orignav=9

Hmmm......Perhaps I will chop off his arms and put new ones on.

Merceus
11-08-2007, 21:41
There ya go, comes with arms but no backpacks... id say either get the loyal marine ones or the plage marine ones... stabdard csm backpacks would look too out of place...

Rabid Bunny 666
11-08-2007, 21:52
Ideas on how to model this kind of stuff? What kind of guns would look good on iron warriors to represent sonic weapons? How to represent heavier armor on marines? And just general feedback on the ideas themselves.

For the Khorne Bezerkers, i'd use Iron Hands bionics and the cool scissor-like Servo arm from the Techmarine either on the backpacks or as replacement arms.

Noise Marines i could see large backpacks (Heavy Bolter ones?) with a belt fed frame on the shoulders supporting several brutal looking guns.

Plague Marines could be done using the Servo Harness techmarine bodies, bulky backpacks (Perhaps the Plasma Cannon or Lascannon backpacks) with wiring connecting it to their Torsos.

you could do Thousand Sons by having the left side of the Marines being heavily armoured up a helluva lot (firing from the Right hand with a sideways stance means that the left side should take the majirity of the hits. Perhaps if you used Heavy Bolter backpacks feeding slightly bulked out Boltguns (Ork Shootas perhaps?) to represent the Armour busting bullets.

The Sorc with arcane tech sounds cool, as long as its bulky and looks bastardised i'd go for it. The idea for using corrupted Tau Tech is intriguing, perhaps modified Tau guns for the basic Thosand Sons and using Tau vehicle fins on a Multimelta backpack suitably wired up to the Sorc could represent their invulnerable save.

MrPickles
11-08-2007, 23:57
So, any other ideas on what back packs would look good with this guy:

http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=9947010132230&orignav=9

Also, does anyone know where I could get more OOP space marines besides Ebay?

Rabid Bunny 666
12-08-2007, 00:02
You could use the Chaos Backpack, but trim off the housing and put the exhausts straight onto the pack, you'd end up with a bulkier looking Marine pack.

MrPickles
12-08-2007, 00:57
Good idea, I will have to try it.

vipernyc
12-08-2007, 01:40
For an ancient weapon, the kai gun from the metal terminator commander might work well

MrPickles
12-08-2007, 02:31
Indeed, that is what I originally thought of.

MrPickles
12-08-2007, 05:34
So, would it be feasible to chop this guy's arms off and replace them?

MrPickles
12-08-2007, 14:57
So, would it be feasible to chop this guy's arms off and replace them?

Anyone please?

grickherder
12-08-2007, 16:04
It kind of looks like those armes are really up against his body. I'm guessing you'd probably have to be either incredibly careful or resculpt his sides after you're done. Especially on the plasma pistol side.

MrPickles
12-08-2007, 19:03
I guess I could snip off the plasma part and stick on a bolter. I will really have to see the model in person to see what I could do with it.

Latro_
12-08-2007, 19:05
how about:

iron warriors with 3 dreadnoughts 3 vindicators and 2 slanneshy daemon princes with lash of submission. IW cheese is alive and kicking.

MrPickles
12-08-2007, 20:26
What exactly does that have to do with what we are talking about?