PDA

View Full Version : "Finished" armies

sqigglett
11-08-2007, 13:20
When is an army considered "fineshed" i thought at around 1.5kpts (tornament size) but im not sure.

CELS
11-08-2007, 13:28
Usually never. Or whenever people get tired of their army and start a new one.

PS: Your sig is too long. Check the forum rules and guidelines ;)

studderigdave
11-08-2007, 14:09
i have one army that ill NEVER finish, orks. but therest of my armies are done when i max out an FOC, deathguard and tyranids.

natedogg710
11-08-2007, 15:16
For most people it never ends, they are always adding a new unit or 2. My goal for Dark Angels is to get them to 3000 points so I have some flexibility and so I can play some larger games.

Colonel Deal
11-08-2007, 15:22
I agree, I've never finished an army. There's always another unit I don't have, other weapons options I've not tried. Then there's conversions. Most of my armies just grow and grow. I've got 5000pts+ of Orks, and 4000pts+ of Iron Warriors, and I'll probably keep adding to both them and my smaller Imperial Guard forces as well.

Sir_Turalyon
11-08-2007, 18:54
Army is finished if you have not bought / painted anything new for it for 2-3 years... althrough it may be just suspended ;).

Merceus
11-08-2007, 18:58
I'd consider an army finished when all its models are painted... meaning I have no complete armies, closest beings my Nids... still need to paint a battleforce worth of models minus the warriors...

Brother Siccarius
11-08-2007, 19:10
I prefer to go with Da Vinici's take on finishing a project: "The point when I finish a project is the point when it no longer interests me"

warboss48
11-08-2007, 19:30
I prefer to go with Da Vinici's take on finishing a project: "The point when I finish a project is the point when it no longer interests me"

Yeah, I'm gonna go with this to. Your army will never truly be finished if you're still interested in it, as odds are that you will continue to add things to it. That's my opinion on it anyway.

max the dog
11-08-2007, 19:37
I consider no army finished until it's 100% painted. I don't care of it's a crap job with 2 colors drybrushed over black primer (necrons and black templars). It's just not a finished army until you get it fully painted. Most people can paint and get a decent result spending no more than 1 hour per figure. If you spend 2 hours per day you should be able to paint any army (including hordes like guard) in less than 2 months. Using some speed painting techniques you should be able to get 10 models done in 1 hour or less. It won't look pretty but at least it's done!!!!!

But as far as collecting, it depends upon your goals. A complete combat patrol army is easy and cheap to get. Most armies can be called finished with less than 25 models. Apocalypse armies can be out of hand. I'm convinced that some armies won't be complete until they top 1000 figures.

11-08-2007, 19:38
never.

space marines I need to add a landraider possibly a titan and 5 more terminators (so I can have a legal unit with cyclone and assult canon in the next update) Guard I need a baneblade and some SOB.

Elves I just baught another mage and 2 heros...with the new book comeing out Ill need even more. my bretonians need more knights

orcs...well I need to paint them and get a snotling pump wagon and some more trols.

its done when your dead ;)

chinnfrequent
11-08-2007, 20:07
An army is only finished if you choose to stop adding to it.

Grand Warlord
11-08-2007, 20:12
for me once a list is tournament legal I am done with it, doesnt mean i dont buy more shiny things for non tournament games though lol

Slaaneshi Slave
11-08-2007, 20:17
Only in death does duty end. ;)

sigur
11-08-2007, 20:24
Usually never.

Seconded for truth. If you love your army, it's never done.

SamaNagol
11-08-2007, 21:02
An army is never finished, it just goes on a sabbatical

Greatoliver
11-08-2007, 21:51
I've planned out an 1,500 IG army and once it's made and painted, I'll consider it finished.
...Untill I add to it again...

I'll then start my Dwarf army and see how it goes from there...

muskrat
11-08-2007, 22:09
I'm with oliver on my guard...I doubt I'll add to the 1500 pt force i bought on a whim...i probably will.

As for chaos, I've been adding to that army for years now. and my shopping list tripled in size with the new models coming out.

5k and counting...

paddyalexander
11-08-2007, 22:16
With my Necron army I've got at least one max sized unit of every entry in the army list, and in some cases several. So its mostly finished.

In truth an armies never finished becuase theres always a different style of list or new unit to try. My Orks went from Speed Freaks to Hoard to a mixture of 'Eavy stuff, fast stuff and lots of boyz. I can now switch between styles if & when I wish. I can say the same about nearly every army I play.

Greatoliver
11-08-2007, 22:29
...i bought on a whim...

The most used and hated phrase in this world today. :p

"Nooooo! Not another impulse buy of plastic minatures!!!"

muskrat
12-08-2007, 01:54
Which is exactly why I've cut up the check card to my bank account three times. i was sick of getting an impulse, buying an army, and having no money. but i always felt i had it under control and could "handle" it.

i turned the checking into a savings account. problem solved.

Slaaneshi Slave
12-08-2007, 02:04
What do you mean, impulse buying? Such as 85 Krieg Grenadiers from FW, and paying for them to be painted too? Yeah, I know what you mean...

fwacho
12-08-2007, 10:31
I have quite a few armies.
a few are finished.
2700 points of guard. haven't added anythign in almost 3 years to them
3000+ points of Pious Space marines. FoC chart maxed out, every command option available.
2300 points Alaitoc eldar. FOC chart maxed out completed this spring
2500 points Mech eldar list, FOC chart almost maxed out plus extra options.

On sabbaticle:
2300 point Tau. Just was given a new battle suit paint. Still want another hammer head and stealthsuit team , and 3 more piranas...just not in the mood to paint them. (complex scheme)

2200points wise Marines needs a lot of tweaking (two more tactical squads to fill out troops)

2300 points of highly converted orks. Haven't added anything for almost 10 months. currently a very competative list. will have to see new dex to decide if I need to add anything. (hoping they can loot Tau and Nid stuff)

Currnetly under construction:
1750 Raven wing in uber complex scheme (soon to be my tourney army) still adding bits a pieces at least a month away from completetion

2300 points Blood angels. just painted a Baal predator. still need about 15 more assault marines and one more rhino.

So what makes an army finished.
1. Fully painted. (all my points listed are painted. as I refuse to use unpainted pieces)
2. Capable of being used in a tourney.
3.has enough extra stuff you can vary and tweak for campaigns an such.
4. you can't really think of anything else you would actually use in it.
5. you've played 5 games with it and still not seriously considered adding anything else to it.

Crube
12-08-2007, 10:37
I consider my armies finished when they reach tournament size, plus 500 points for flexability, and they are all painted...

Then I normally sell them to make money for the next army...

Unless I particularly like an army. I tend to try and keep 1 WFB army and 1 40K army at a time - but then I mainly paint so.... (although I am currently sans armee for 40K at the mo...)