PDA

View Full Version : Germans of Warseer, we need you!

salty
24-08-2005, 16:56
Myself and a group of others (Malika, Anarchistica and Auzu from Warseer) have been working on a new game, devised by Auzu.

We have decided that, as in today's society, the scientific names given to animals are in Latin, in our society, they are in German.

However, none of us speak particularly good German (read: none at all) and online translators keep throwing out poor results (such as beehive for the alien Hives).

So, what we need is for some of Warseer's German members to help us out.

The names are for an alien species akin to Tyranids in Warhammer 40k, which are called the Ameise. They are sort of half insectoid and half reptilian. Names we have for them so far are:

Ameise - the whole race
Kollossusdrohne - Super Heavy Beast (thanks Sylass :D )
Zuchtermeister - Queen
Metzger - "General"
Diener - Worker Drone
Kriegherdrohne - Warrior Drone
Himmelteufel - Flying Warrior Drone

The most pressing names we need are for a rapid, sinuous alien similar to a Ravener in 40k, whose name must end in "drohne" (for example Schnell-drohne - Rapid Drone), and also a German word for a Hive of insects.

Sylass pointed me here for help.

Hope you can help us out! If you want to check out the site and message boards, you can find us at www.cwc-uprising.co.uk

Salty :)

warlordgrubnatz
24-08-2005, 17:06
don't forget me salty.
i need a name for a sort of burrowing worm like creature.

salty
24-08-2005, 17:21
@Grubnatz: I was thinking Grabendrohne for your burrowing creature, which I *think* means "Burrowing-Drone"

Gaebriel
24-08-2005, 17:37
For a quick review I'd say

Ameise - the whole race

Ameise is singular, plural would be Ameisen

Diener - Worker Drone

Arbeitsdrohne, Arbeiterdrohne, or Arbeiter
(similar to Working drone, Worker drone, Worker)

Kriegherdrohne - Warrior Drone

Kriegsdrohne, Kriegerdrohne, or Krieger
(similar to War drone, Warrior drone, Warrior)

The most pressing names we need are for a rapid, sinuous alien similar to a Ravener in 40k, whose name must end in "drohne" (for example Schnell-drohne - Rapid Drone), and also a German word for a Hive of insects.

Ameisenschwarm would be an idea for the total group of a hive's population, could possibly be substituted for Ameisenstamm. (the first relating to swarm, the second to tribe)

Ameisenbau would be the place they lived. (similar to anthill)

i need a name for a sort of burrowing worm like creature.

Grabdrohne, Gräberdrohne or Gräber
(similar to Digging drone, Digger drone or digger)

Gaebriel
24-08-2005, 18:04
Metzger - "General"

Kriegsherr (similar to Warlord)

Blitzdrohne (similar to lightning drone, but not too fond of that)

Sylass
24-08-2005, 18:34
What about "Sturmdrohne" for the ravener style one? Similar to Stormtroopers...

salty
24-08-2005, 20:59
Thanks guys, I have pretty much copied and pasted this thread into our official forums. I am particularly liking Sturmdrohne, Ameisenbau and Ameisenschwarm.

Thanks again!

Cenyu
26-08-2005, 14:06
Himmelteufel (better: Himmelsteufel) sounds a little awkward. What about Hornisse (= Hornet)?

Oh, and Hive is Schwarm in German.

Barbarossa
13-09-2005, 16:09
I'd have said Jägerdrohne or Jagddrohne (=hunter/hunting drone) for the fast drone, but Sturmdrohne sounds much better imho.
For the Queen: Königin (=queen) or Brüter (=breeder).