PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Griffin...

Halflingstew
12-08-2007, 02:58
During a game last night, a Griffin lost its rider, rolled on the Monster Reaction Chart, and went stupid.
The question came during movement. When he failed his Stupidity roll, how far does he move? I had always assumed flyers use their ground movement, but I couldn't find it in the BRB (which only means it's right in front of me...:rolleyes: ).
Are they indeed allowed to fly?

Festus
12-08-2007, 07:15
10", half their movement, if they are not prevented from flying by woods, spells, etc.

Festus

knightime98
12-08-2007, 09:09
Wow, I think I got Festus on something.

When you are stupid, you only move 1/2 of your "base" move. The Griffons base movement is 6". So, it moves 3" straight forward.

I will be clear. The Griffon ordinarily is able to fly. Flyers can move 20". However, Stupidity changes everything. Look at Pg. 52 - Fourth Paragraph that says, "This counts as compulsory..... "

In that paragraph, it states the 1/2 its normal "move" rate....

So, if you are stupid it appears in my view that you are not allowed to fly...

Well, if you fail your stupidity test then you are not allowed to fly.
If you pass your stupidity test then you are able to "act as normal" meaning that you may fly as normal.

Festus
12-08-2007, 09:16
Hi

Flying move is the basic movement for a flyer. cf BRB, p.68.

It may use ground movement instead (but only if able to do so, not every flyer may use ground movement (e.g. Gyrocopter, Dwarf AB, p.42)) cf. ibid, right column, 3rd paragraph.

Festus

T10
12-08-2007, 19:24
I can't see any restrictions requiring the flyer to fly when stupid - the only time he *must* fly is when fleeing, and the only if he is not somehow restricted from doing so.

If the flyer does indeed us his flying move when stupid, he moves 10". That again creates the issue of wether the flyer flies over intervening troops or automatically charges/gets entagled with them. All in all, using the model's ground move allows us to conveniently avoid these issues in the first place.

Of course, when given the option of using the flying move or ground move, then opting for the slower would be... stupid. :)

-T10

knightime98
12-08-2007, 19:28
@Festus

I will say this much.

There are two types of movement with Flyers.

The pg. 68 shows that Flyers can "fly" 20". We both already know that.

The second type of movement which is by far the most common is the
"normal" movement of a model. To simplify, that means ground movement.

In the stupid section of the BRB it mentions "normal" movement. It does not say normal movement or fly movement. Only normal movement is mentioned. The Griffons Normal movement is 6". GW put the normal movement there just in case you wanted to walk in woods or some other mishap like being stupid happens to a flyer.

I think my argument is sound.

I looked over the flyer rules and it did not persuade me to change my mind.

I am open to further insights you may have Festus as it is always a joy to hear from you my friend.

Edit: T10 posted just in front of me.
"I can't see any restrictions requiring the flyer to fly when stupid"

I don't think the flyer can fly when being stupid.... The stupid section mentions 1/2 normal move.
Now you could argue that 1/2 normal move for the Griffon is it's fly move. However, the BRB makes
reference to normal move as ground movement. It hints at it anyhow with its example of trolls.
All for now, as I am rambling again!

Festus
13-08-2007, 05:20
I don't think the flyer can fly when being stupid.... The stupid section mentions 1/2 normal move.
Now you could argue that 1/2 normal move for the Griffon is it's fly move. However, the BRB makes reference to normal move as ground movement. It hints at it anyhow with its example of trolls.
... because Trolls are the prime example of a flying unit :rolleyes:

This reference you speak of only exists in your imagination AFAI am concerned: The Flyer rules talk about flyer's movement generally as flying, and to equate "normal movement of a flyer" = "ground movement" has something of the Psychology we are discussing. Especially if the BRB has it the other way round. :evilgrin:

I agree with T10 completely.

Festus