PDA

View Full Version : The most difficult army to assemble??

DarkAngel74
12-08-2007, 08:37
I say Tomb Kings.

Assembling this whole mass of skeletons can be a terrible nightmare to your finger when you don't have most delicate, precise hands. Unlike models with actual fleshes, those sprues of bones have very small areas to glue to. Furthermore, unlike most basic models of other armies which comes in parts usually no more than 3~4 (head, two arms, body), TK usually comes with 5. Those spines are especially annoying to assemble, since they have small areas to glue which is usually where you clipped the piece of the sprue. While I appriciate the fact that this gives TK a greater freedom in choosing individual model's stances, I do not find this worthy of enduring having my fingers dried up crampled with noxious cement which is terrible for people with nasal inflamanation.

Opinions, gentlemen?

Halelel
12-08-2007, 08:45
Any army is hard for me to assemble or paint (have essential tremors in my hands, which to put into terms means my hands shake for no reason) , :)

But I have to agree with you on Tomb Kings, they were a supreme pain to assemble with those stupid spines, I'd imagine VC skelies are the same though (at least they have zombies, ghouls and what not, haha)

BigRob
12-08-2007, 09:00
Hmmmm...

Ragarding fiddly models, then skeletons probably are the most difficult, but also maybe a Gnoblar/Goblin horde army. After painting 200-400 goblins, you'd feel the burn.

Rob

kyussinchains
12-08-2007, 12:25
I dont know about army, but the screaming skull catapult is a nightmare, as well as the gnoblar scraplauncher

Makaber
12-08-2007, 12:41
I'd have to say Tomb Kings as well. Vampire Counts are hell as well, I can imagine, but Tomb Kings has the annoyance of regiments of south pawed archers. Because some genious decided they could cut costs by 0.001% if they reused the shield arms as string-holding arms on half the models, every single Tomb King archer is holding his bow with his right hand, pulling back with his left (which is the wrong way around if you're right handed). So because of the animated poses of the skeleton legs, you somehow have to make the entire mess look natural, which is a lot harder than it sounds. Why oh why didn't they just make a separate sprue for the archers altogether?

Add that to the really difficult to remove, but hella visible mold lines, the sheer number of parts, the way the Ushabti weapons almost fit like a charm but never quite, the Screaming Skull Catapult ... I hear the Tomb Scorpion is tricky as well. Sheesh.

Appoloclypse
13-08-2007, 10:00
[QUOTE=Halelel;1823248](have essential tremors in my hands, which to put into terms means my hands shake for no reason)QUOTE]

Yah TK armies look hard to assemble but the hardest army to assemble for me has to go to slaanesh DL armies there is not even close to enough area to try and glue those daemonette arms on.

untimention
13-08-2007, 10:18
TK def the hardest army to make up... i bought a job lot of 10 charriots on ebay for like 7 and was going to make them up and then sell them on it took me 4eva to make them up and the skeleton crew i say was near impossible. In the future GW will be designing this differently i would imagine like the skull pass kit where things are easy for younger gamers to build.

FW tyranid rippers were a pain as well because they needed to be done with supler glue and you have to glue on all six arms on each ripper which was my god a pain and i mean litterally my hands were plastered in super glue

DarkAngel74
14-08-2007, 02:39
Yea, chariot crews are especially hell. Those big, nasty, awesome scythe-like spear arms can be real nightmare. I mean, three gluing points to make the ******** skeleton hold it like it should? Flaming christ

Crube
14-08-2007, 09:47
TK would probably get my vote. Anyone who's tried to assemble a couple of Tomb Scorpions would have to agree... (DodgyEd? You out there....?)

Arhalien
14-08-2007, 10:10
Hmmm, WE Glade Guard are a bit of a nightmare to assemble properly without lots of filing down.
I'd also like to put in a vote for High Elves because it takes a great deal of mental strength to assemble the current spearelves; looking at them is hard enough ;)

Count Zero
14-08-2007, 10:11
dark elves are a pain, executioner blades are hell on their own, but the main annoyance is no charcter models!!

the rest of the army is simple though.

Jedi152
14-08-2007, 10:22
(DodgyEd? You out there....?)
Gortexgunnerson probably has him chained to a painting desk somewhere with the promise of vodka...

But anyway, skeletons are indeed a bugger to assemble.

Assembling zombies is a right laugh. Get yourself a tub of zombie bits, a tub of empire bits, a knife and some glue. Stick a DVD on the telly and start gluing and hacking!

Xavier
14-08-2007, 10:25
Tomb Scorpion or a Scrap Launcher...

Though I did have issues with a treeman... getting his 4 'legs' to line up on the base and be level is a nightmare, especially when they are all bent out of shape on arrival :mad:

Crube
14-08-2007, 10:40
Hmmm, forgot about the Treeman... they can be tricky, especially if you're trying to pin the legs too...

I ended up putting him on a bit of a display base, with one leg slightly raised on a rock... looks great, you'd almost never guess the trouble I had putting him together.

Never had a problem with the Glade Guard though.

EOT
14-08-2007, 13:52
Techiniacally tomb Kings....but not their skellies (after 15 years of putting Skellitons together, it stops hurting). No, their Blood Bowl team, if you haven't seen them before each skelli is in 10 seperate peices includng the collar round its neck and...worst of all....oh the horror...KNEECAPS! Bloody knee-caps on a 28mm model! Those, my friends, are a bugger to assemble.

Though my other vote would be Glade gauard too, they're fiddley as owt and the don't rank up.

Von Wibble
14-08-2007, 15:50
Agree on Tomb Kings. But at least they are easy to paint:)

Skull Chukka took ages...

Methrin
14-08-2007, 17:27
Lizardmen.

Terradons are HELL to carry. Most people I know don't field them anymore due to excessive transit breakage.

And then all the metal models are moulded poorly... I mean, my stegadon's legs are not level with the base, neither were the 2 belly parts (had to do a massive green stuff job to "glue" him. Same for my palanquin, it had nasty gaps.

greendan
15-08-2007, 03:14
2 tomb scorpions, 2 screaming skull catapults and bone giant...ugh so many hours wasted and skin glued...:(
i never really had a problem with the skellies, although i did assemble about 8 million so i developed some patience and technique by then...kinda..

Khorghan
15-08-2007, 03:26
Yep seems to be tomb kings, gnoblars are hard aswell

Anvilbrow
15-08-2007, 06:37
Agreed on the Bloodbowl Tomb Kings. The TK army is tough, the team is FAR worse. Imagine a bunch of tiny bone giants...

I finally ebayed the lot of skellies and bought a box of tomb guard. Did some weapon clipping, a spot of green stuff, and voila, really mean looking skellies for my thro-ra, catch-ra and blitz-ra. Yes, the stupidest names ever invented by GW hands down.

But a solid team on the pitch.

Lord Firmshaft
15-08-2007, 11:29
Have you ever tried to put together and then keep it together a dwarf gyro? That thing will not hold together for more than 2 battles

That gets my vote

Shibby
16-08-2007, 01:51
Chaos dwarfs get my vote

just started my army and ive gotta scrape of all the beards and emblems then use green stuff to make curly beards and masks and stuff, i wouldn't mind if this was on any of my rare choices or something but these are for my core troops! :cries: so yea it might take a while gluing some skeles together but u dont have to have to scrape and sculpt stuff for youre entire army (well you might if youve got a totally pimped out army)

highelfmage
16-08-2007, 03:34
goblins or skaven so many models who look the the same and what is the point since they die really easy.

Grumnir
16-08-2007, 03:52
Wholeheartedly agree on the Dwarf Gyro --> you merely have to look at where the rotors join to figure out it isn't enough material to support the weight.

The Slayer axe-throwing war-machine is also notoriously hard to put together as well.

Cypher, the Emperor
16-08-2007, 05:31
Skaven.

So many little parts, and even when your done:
THEY STILL RARELY RANK UP.

Grand Warlord
16-08-2007, 05:45
for me was last edition chaos warriors ... they just never seem to fit right ... Oh and empire knights hardly base up either.

DarkAngel74
16-08-2007, 06:50
Seems like we have an agreement that GW is a terrible assembler. Should we call Bandai to do the job instead?

huitzilopochtli
16-08-2007, 21:37
tomb kings are not only an extremely difficult army to put together, they are very hard to keep together as well. it seems every single skeleton in my collection has broken at least one... they get my vote

zak
17-08-2007, 21:25
I would gladly assemble a whole horde of skellies rather than go through the pain of having to put together another Gyrocopter. The thing is designed to send you nuts. The rotors are a bloody pain. I've tried simply gluing them, pinning them and then relying upon power of my mind to hold the bloody things. It's so fragile I'm afraid to play with the damn thing.

SkawtheFalconer
17-08-2007, 22:22
The dryad drycha gets my goat. Just one look at the TINY shoulder join, and the huge wooded canopy she's carrying on that arm, should let you know my pain. And for those keeping score, she's still sat unassembled in my bits box!

brendino
18-08-2007, 06:55
tomb kings are not only an extremely difficult army to put together, they are very hard to keep together as well. it seems every single skeleton in my collection has broken at least one... they get my vote
oh yeah my friend has tk and hes always ranting about hes screaming skull catapault falling apart ect.

also lizardmen teradons are real buggers

Alathir
19-08-2007, 15:53
Some of the Bretonnian character models have the worst joints ever... every tried giving King Louen his shield? Freaking hard.

Rider-Of-Kurnous
19-08-2007, 16:18
The wood elf treeman does NOT fit together and go o0n the base FLAT. The glade gaurds cloaks make them dead hard to fit together as a unit QUICKLY. all wood elves that need horns glueing on them are hard, the horns allways end up glued to my hands. the stag just does not fit. But I LOVE painting them up so it is all worth it.

melgorth
19-08-2007, 23:18
The Vampire Counts have a tough time with it too with all the skeletons and stuff but the model that got to me was the black coach. One of the hardest models i have ever had to put together and it still falls apart!!!

Slaaneshi Slave
19-08-2007, 23:23
Chaos Warriors. You know while assembling them that they will be almost useless on the field, which for some reason makes them very difficult to assemble. :p

Seriously though Chaos Knight shields are a pain in the ass to glue on, sometimes the joint literally has no way of touching... I am not sure if this is because of warpage some other reason know only to Tzeentch.

Anardakil
20-08-2007, 11:46
Skaven tails in ranked units anyone? :P they sure are a rabble.

devolutionary
20-08-2007, 11:52
Bretonnian Horses. Sweet lord whoever built the mold for those needs a kick to the nuts. They're impossible to clean well without removing a whole hell of a lot of detail. Stupid huge displacement of mold halves makes me cry.

DeerHeart
20-08-2007, 16:54
I had a heck of a time with the Lord of Change model. Long, thin pieces, without much room for pins. However the Wood Elf Forest Dragon takes the cake. I won't be putting one of those together again... unless the price is right :)

Jonathais
20-08-2007, 17:44
Chaos Warriors. You know while assembling them that they will be almost useless on the field, which for some reason makes them very difficult to assemble. :p

Seriously though Chaos Knight shields are a pain in the ass to glue on, sometimes the joint literally has no way of touching... I am not sure if this is because of warpage some other reason know only to Tzeentch.

Yeah, just noticed the Shield thing too. Decided to find the best fitting for each model then just stick a blob of GS into the socket and hope for the best.

Zoolander
20-08-2007, 22:59
I have to disagree with you. Any army that contains mostly plastic parts is a joy to assemble compared to those with odd shaped pewter. Skeletons are one of the easier units to assemble and paint (the old models were smaller and were a pain, but these new ones are easy). The screaming skull catapult is rather hard to get the pieces to fit, however. Scorpion came right together for me... lol. Any army that has a ton of models can also be a pain.

Panic
21-08-2007, 03:34
Gnoblars and Tomb Kings no doubt hands down.
Gosh just watching my friend assemble them is a pain for me.

Gazak Blacktoof
21-08-2007, 09:06
Thought gnoblars were one piece?

How can something that's one piece be difficult to "assemble"?

daemonkin
21-08-2007, 09:18
bloody hate skellies!
Actually I love them but they are a nightmare to assemble - all those possible poses - tosh I say, you can only do so mnay variations if you want your models to rank up.

Built 1 unit with spears in varying degrees of angle for each rank - never again, it's up for all except front rank from now on!

D.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
21-08-2007, 09:37
Well for me it is skaven, I just started gleuing them and will the clanrats and slaves are a nightmare for ranking up and such.

Greetz
G

Scythe
21-08-2007, 10:33
dark elves are a pain, executioner blades are hell on their own, but the main annoyance is no charcter models!!

the rest of the army is simple though.

Urgh, don't remind me of those Executioners. Damn, I hate those blades! And they keep comming of as well!

Morathi was also kind of a pain, as was the War Hydra, but that one had the advantage you could cram green stuff on it without worrying to much about the end look.