PDA

View Full Version : WBBL: League a'Fresh

Jet
12-08-2007, 18:25
With the current season (finally) coming to an end, and with the future of that league being slightly uncertain, I'm looking to gauge interest in a new type of tournament where everyone would start off on an even keel.

The format would be as follows:
- Entrants are ordered by reverse final league position/TR/win ratio
- Each entrant in turn picks a race (note some races may not be available if they have already been chosen too many times) and creates a new [L] team.
- All entries will be randomly drawn into small open round robin leagues, probably of 4 or 5 teams, depending on interest, with between 2 and 3 weeks to get all those games played.
- Thereafter these teams will operate in a normal open round robin league format with promotion and relegation, and after a couple of seasons there will be TR caps on the lower leagues, so noone can sit down there beating up newbies :).

How does that sound to anyone?

Current list of players:

Positives:
Benninstein
th0r
Lardidar
k2vsate
ExquisiteEvil
Fredox
skinnydookie(?)

Possible:
Keravin
tenpole
RawMessiah

Missing out:
Deng Ham
Phrollikk
Lord Snotball

Awaiting reply:
courtjester17
searchonomicon
Gres
Spoonie
jahorin

th0r
12-08-2007, 18:36
I think this sounds great. It means we will be able to get rid off the dreaded 3 month tournaments which are no fun. Lets try to get this implemented as soon as possible.

Keravin
12-08-2007, 21:07
Frankly I'm only interested if this looks to be a fun league and not one where certain coaches go all out to pick up trophies for destroying teams.

Jet
12-08-2007, 21:39
Frankly I'm only interested if this looks to be a fun league and not one where certain coaches go all out to pick up trophies for destroying teams.

Well this is a decent reason for the TR cap; you won't get high TR teams filled with MB/DP which don't win that often, since they'll either have to trim their TR by dropping skilled players, or by choosing more playable skills.

th0r
12-08-2007, 21:44
Bit odd coming from a Dwarf coach...

Keravin
12-08-2007, 21:54
From a Dwarf coach due to the one team only policy. No DPs on any of my teams though.

tenpole
12-08-2007, 22:54
Yeah this would be great as long as it does not stagnate. I am not bothered about which team to pick, if you like I will volunteer to go last in picking a team. Although I do have a virgin khemri and Nurgle rotter's team ready to play. I will choose one of these two if I can. Skinnydookie should be allowed to choose skaven.

PhrollikK
13-08-2007, 19:50
Will this mean that the current teams are ditched or will we carry on a warseer super league?

Lardidar
13-08-2007, 21:07
I am all for it,

I think this league needs a good shake up and I think fresh teams and TR capping could well be the way to go.

Good idea jet,

Jet
13-08-2007, 22:33
Well the feedback has been mixed, but at least we have some willing members of this hair-brained scheme. So far I count:

Positives:
Benninstein
th0r
Lardidar
k2vsate
ExquisiteEvil

Possible:
Keravin
tenpole
RawMessiah

Well I think if we have at least 8 then that's a reasonable place to start, with 2 leagues of 4, making 1st season -> 2nd season promotion simple.

I'll come up with a definitive team-picking process by tomorrow probably, then we're pretty much set.

Deng Ham
14-08-2007, 15:00
I'm not interested in creating a new team. But I'm in if we can continue with the curent Warseer teams.

I'm thinking a group play. say 8 groups. With fixed round robin and then a KO cup with nr 1 and 2's.

Jet
14-08-2007, 19:03
I understand what you mean about not wishing to create a new team Deng. I'm not entirely with you on the second line though. Do you mean you want 8 groups, or groups of 8?

I'm not sure about numbers, but we could have fixed round robin groups of 4 or 6, I simply think 8 is too many.

Edit: Any comments on the following team groupings are welcome, just got this off the top of my head, and some are tough to put together.

Quick starters: Amazon, Norse
Hard Knocks: Chaos, Dwarf
Nifty elves: Wood Elf, Elf
Armoured elves: High Elf, Dark Elf
Mighty Blow: Khemri, Chaos Dwarf
Fodder: Ogre, Skaven
Spreading: Necromantic, Nurgle's Rotters
Tough stuff: Orc, Undead
Unbalanced: Lizardmen, Vampire
Stunty: Halfling, Goblin (optional)
My empty brain (balanced): Humans

th0r
14-08-2007, 19:30
Does this mean your going to match teams up for there division? Basically elfbowl and basher divisions... that would be boring.

Jet
14-08-2007, 23:15
Does this mean your going to match teams up for there division? Basically elfbowl and basher divisions... that would be boring.

Definitely, not at all. The premise is at the team choosing stage, say someone ahead of you chooses high elves, then noone can choose dark elves (this is only while we have just a few players).

th0r
15-08-2007, 00:14
ah I see, seems like a good balance to prevent a bashy league

Skinnydookie
15-08-2007, 00:27
Whatever the majoritry choose i will go along with. My brain hurts too much after late night poker sessions to add anything intelligent to the debate, but just to let people know I WILL be around so wont mess up the league again by moving or having talk talk.

RawMessiah
15-08-2007, 10:04
As long as we can keep the old teams, it all sound great ( :) ). I'm not too interested in starting a new team. I hope we can keep the old teamz.

Jet
15-08-2007, 10:18
The old teams can certainly be kept. We might arrange the odd tournament for them, but they won't be valid for this new tournament; not for quite a while at least, if ever.

Deng Ham
15-08-2007, 15:10
I wanted 8 groups. So that it fitted with a 3 round ko cup. But since we at best can have 3 teams pr groups, it might not be such a good idead.

As for a new thing. I'm out. But let me know if you plan on doing something with the old teams. And I'm in.

Keravin
15-08-2007, 15:24
I'm not going to be around for the next week and any discussions as I have to fly to the US to deal with a family bereavement so if things can be held until the bank holiday then I should be back. If not I'm out.

tenpole
15-08-2007, 18:08
There is not an old thing. Long Live Emperor Bennistein

Jet
15-08-2007, 20:49
I'm not going to be around for the next week and any discussions as I have to fly to the US to deal with a family bereavement so if things can be held until the bank holiday then I should be back. If not I'm out.

To be honest that isn't much of a deal. Even if its likely to start pretty soon (i.e. while you're away) you won't be holding anyone up if you team is in the open round robin. You'll simply have a little less time to play your games, but 1 game perhaps isn't so great a disadvantage in the whole scheme of things.

Note, it is also not too great a problem for people who completely miss the start of the tournament. If we have a few new starters for season 2, we just have a mini league at the bottom for them and they won't be too far behind the TR of the teams they'll be facing.

Alright, on to serious things to get this under way. Here is the provisional list of order of team picks:

ExquisiteEvil
Lardidar
k2vsate
LordSnotball
tenpole
th0r
skinnydookie
Keravin
fredox
Benninstein ( :cries:)

If you could reply in that order with your team picks (or it might be easier to simply send me a personal top 10 list, considering the groupings earlier in the thread) either via PM here, in this thread, or via PM on FUMBBL. Please try and make your options interesting, also!

th0r
15-08-2007, 21:14
1. DE
2. HE
3. Chaos
4. Necro
5. Norse
6. Pro Elves
7. Wood Elves

tenpole
15-08-2007, 21:59
My choices

1 Khemri
2 Nurgle Rotters
3 Skaven

Lardidar
15-08-2007, 22:05
Are we supposed to pick one team from each of your groupings or just a list of teams we would like to take the order we would like them?

EDIT - or is it EE makes one choice as he will get first pick, I make two as I get second pick (Just incase my first pick was taken by EE) ... heh, I like to confuse myself.

Jet
15-08-2007, 22:54
There you go, got it sorted in your head now Lardidar. My FUMBBL PM will seem behind the times now! So if you could send (PM) me your team choices asap.

LordSnotball
15-08-2007, 23:21
well, i always like playing DEs, but apparently they r taken... started a gobbo team for a laugh, and we'll see what happens...

do u dare face the gobbos???

jahorin
16-08-2007, 04:10
i want to take part, can my skaven who played 3 games in warsser south be in?

tenpole
16-08-2007, 05:29
I though it was clearly stated new teams

Jet
16-08-2007, 08:14
I would recommend to everyone not to make their team until they know what race they are taking!

As soon as Lardidar sends me his team choices, we're decently under way.

Oh and jahorin, I'll think about your question for a bit. The probable solutions are that either you will have to create another team, or you will have to join a season late, say.

tenpole
16-08-2007, 13:06
I had made my two teams last month waiting for such an occasion as this. I call them sleepers.

Lardidar
16-08-2007, 14:46
PM'd you on Fumbbl my picks.

Is this replacing the WBBL or is Autobot going to start a new torney for the old teams? (Not that I have one :))

Jet
16-08-2007, 16:13
ExquisiteEvil (Orcs), Lardidar (Chaos), k2vsate (Dark Elf) may all create and apply your teams.

This will hopefully be in addition to some use of the old teams. Autobot/Iscariot simply can't be around for a while. As soon as anyone has a bright idea of what to do with the old teams just let me now and I'll endeavour to set it in motion.

Lardidar
16-08-2007, 16:27
Coolio ... do we apply to the old group or did you make a new group?

Courtjester17
16-08-2007, 17:43
Any chance i can get in on this and just take last pick leavings

th0r
16-08-2007, 22:28
lol, the three applied teams so far are, Gobbos, Ogres and Vampires! Shaping up to be quite the league.

jahorin
17-08-2007, 00:03
Power to the underdog!!!

Any chance i can get in on this and just take last pick leavings

Well if you want to follow the thread we are making here, i think hafling are in order :)

tenpole
17-08-2007, 05:24
It is good to see coaches playing for the fun of the game rather than building an uber killer team.

ExquisiteEvil
17-08-2007, 05:48
is the actaul league up already?

ie - where do I register my team?

Jet
17-08-2007, 08:24
Having talked with tenpole and found out that there's not actually too much about the current WBBL group page that I can change as lowly staff, I'm going to quickly draw up a new group. If anyone is truly willing to help as staff, fluffer, graphic designer etc. then give me a bell.

I'll invite already created teams to the group ASAP. Currently we are just waiting on skinnydookie's team choice (or should I just make it skaven now and be done with it :) ).

Skinnydookie
17-08-2007, 22:21
good guess!!!

Jet
19-08-2007, 00:17
Well the season divisions have been set up! I'll also take this opportunity to welcome deathboy13 to the new league (http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=4769), bearing gifts of Chaos Dwarves.

The groupings are as follows:

k2vsate, tenpole, deathboy13, benninstein

jahorin, th0r, Lardidar, Keravin, skinnydookie

Fredox, LordSnotball, courtjester17, ExquisiteEvil

Dear k2vsate, Keravin, courtjester17 and ExquisiteEvil,

Please make your teams and get playing! Hopefully this will be self-sustaining once it gets going so get in there.

Jet
21-08-2007, 15:16
FYI, ExquisiteEvil has left the new league unfortunately, who knows if he will come back. Thankfully Deng Ham has been quick-minded enough to come in with a straight replacement and so we shouldn't suffer from a lack of teams too much.

Courtjester17 has made his team now his account has been unlocked, and will be joining his league ASAP.

k2vsate has promised to make his DE team and should be in within a couple of days. We have lot of games played though already, and by the look of it we might even be finished before the deadline. A Warseer first? Quite possibly!

Lardidar
21-08-2007, 15:28
Are doing a few of these leagues before you set TR caps and set up the promotion/ relegation?

Or are we playing for promotion from the groups we are in now?

Either way I think this new group has a lot of potential, once we all add a few skills we will have some very useful teams and coachs.

It would be nice to bring us all back together for a KO cup, also some names for the leagues that let us know what division we are in.

All in all good work, you have taken a stagnent league and given it fresh breath.

tenpole
21-08-2007, 16:06
Bennys league is the the new WBBL. WBBL Open.

The stunty group is the WSFA Warseer Sunty Federation Authority

The Warser Veterans Club or The Old Gits is where your old teams should be now ran by me.

Lardidar
21-08-2007, 20:12
Just to let people know something unexpected has come up and I will be away from fumbbl till Thursday afternoon/ evening.

I was only set to play Jahorin, I have PM'd him to explain why I wont be about.

I will have net access where I'm going so I can check pm's and the forums, but wont have the java client.

See you all in two days.

Jet
21-08-2007, 21:52
Are doing a few of these leagues before you set TR caps and set up the promotion/ relegation?

I plan to have season 2 as a ladder of leagues, decided by finishing positions from current seasons. I plan to at least have vague TR caps in season 2 (although they will be lenient, something like TR150 even in the second division). The premier division is likely to be the 3 group winners plus the best scoring runner up.

Jet
31-08-2007, 21:27
For anyone reading this, I'm afraid I've got a little more bad news.

Anyway firstly, thanks for everyone getting their games played promptly, its been excellent.

Now k2vsate has said he is simply swamped with work and won't be participating in the league until October. Now this leaves us with 11 players only. Since we are only ever looking to have leagues of 4 or 5, with a bit of quick mathematics you will spot the problem. It also means that the teams in his league have had 1 less game than the vast majority, but that's not too great a difference in the long run.

Here are the choices as I see it:

1) Wait for a new player in the current season and try and get the last games played

2) Start season 2 straight away, but with 1 league of just 3 players, and hope for a new entrant to come in at least for season 3 or join partway through season 2.

Lardidar
31-08-2007, 23:07
I think we need one more player .... has EE left us?

you could make season two into two groups .... the top five players from season one and then the other six players.

Then look into getting a third person for season three so we can go to three groups of four?

tenpole
01-09-2007, 08:54
Now this leaves us with 11 players only. Since we are only ever looking to have leagues of 4 or 5, with a bit of quick mathematics you will spot the problem.

What is the problem?

tenpole
01-09-2007, 08:57
EE has left WBBL Open. Although he is still in WSFA. Have you posted a recruits wanted in the warseer Bloodbowl section, I think I did so just bump it.

Jet
01-09-2007, 09:37
What is the problem?

We have 11 players and only want groups of 4 or 5.

If we have a group of 5, then we have 6 players remaining, which cannot split into groups of 4 or 5.

If we have a group of 4, then we have 7 players remaining, which also does not split.

However say we have 12 players, then we have 3 groups of 4.

13 players, two 4's and one 5.
14 players, one 4 and two 5's.
15 players, three 5's.
16 players, four groups of 4!

So 11 players is the worst number to have as it turns out.

I say your post in the BB section tenpole, perhaps I will also post in the computer games section (since it is a computer game). I'm sure more people would love to join but simply don't know about it. But they will have to learn fast, since they will be thrown straight into the league!

P.S.: Because of the above fact, please be prepared to give new members some friendly/exhibition games to get them up to speed with the rules. Complete amateurs aren't going to find it very fun, I'm sure, to be immediately outplayed through total lack of experience.

tenpole
01-09-2007, 10:12
Have one group as three for the time being with a filler. There is no point in waiting for a new recruit as they won't appear, then three will turn up at once.

Jet
01-09-2007, 21:43
I may have found a twelfth player, hopefully they'll be making their team soon and we'll be getting under way! However this does not mean we should stop looking for new players, the more the merrier.

Here are the league groupings for season 2 provisionally:

courtjester17, skinnydookie, Fredox, Benninstein

th0r, Lardidar, Deng Ham, deathboy13

jahorin, LordSnotball, tenpole, Anon #1

tenpole
01-09-2007, 22:19
Come into my parlour jahorin, Snottie and the artist formerly know as Anon.
We shall have great fun in our group, full of fluff, picture awards and maybe our own newsletter. Its never been so much fun being an underdog. (Unless you was playing WSFA in which case fun is too lame a word for the kicks we get in that group)

Do you think I have sold it to deathboy13 yet?

Jet
03-09-2007, 21:44
This is just a formal notice to all, just in case you hadn't seen on FUMBBL yet, that season 2 is underway with the aforementioned league groupings. Yorkiebar is our 12th willing participant. Happy gaming.

Deng Ham
03-09-2007, 23:04
My memory (and search abilites) are poor at the moment.
But Are Thor active. Think I remember something about him being away for a month or so.

jahorin
04-09-2007, 01:35
thor is moving house and was going to be away for 2 weeks or so