PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Fantasy version of Apocalypse?

wallacer
13-08-2007, 02:12
If there were a large scale rules set for Warhammer (along the lines of Apocalypse for 40k) would you buy it?

Crazy Harborc
13-08-2007, 02:43
I doubt I would. IF several regular opponents wanted to do it, I might consider.....that also means IF the price were right.

I've been in several WHFB with 3 to 5000 points per side. My largest table dimensions are 5 by 9 feet.....on that size table 10000 points total is enough.

Khorghan
13-08-2007, 03:40
If i had money i probably would, big battles like that could be really fun.

Rhamag
13-08-2007, 03:43
I don't think Fantasy needs a version of Apocolypse because there are no FOC limits to worry about: everything is 2+, 3+ etc.

chivalrous
13-08-2007, 04:34
I don't think Fantasy needs a version of Apocolypse because there are no FOC limits to worry about: everything is 2+, 3+ etc.
Agreed, however there have been discussion in the past about how well magic scales up in relation to the points.
Dwarfs and Tomb Kings are usually the opposing sides in these discussion, so if Apocalypse was to make the transition, it would be necessary to address the scaling issues.

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-08-2007, 06:53
I'm not going to buy the 40k version, and I similar can't see any reason to get a potential WFB version. I don't own huge armies, most of my friends dont' own huge armies, none of us have plans of getting 10k+ armies. If anything a book catering to small games would be more interesting.

But I'm quite sure I/we can come up with rules to cover any issues we might have for that big game we might have once a year or something.

Halelel
13-08-2007, 07:07
I'm with Gorbad on this one, I just don't know enough people to justify it. I've met maybe 4 people total who have armies in the 10k+ range, most people I know tend to have several armies of various point values (myself included, who doesn't like to try different army styles).

lilljonas
13-08-2007, 07:25
What would a Fantasy Apocalypse be? Compare Epic and Warmaster, in Epic you have huge amounts of tanks, superheavy tanks, titans and such. In Warmaster, you have differently dimensioned versions of the big units you already have, like giants and dragons. Also, given how differently the army lists scale in the two games makes special rules for big games much less of an issue in Fantasy. I fail to see why there would even be a need for a Fantasy version of Apocalypse, it's not like a 10 000 points battle can't be fought by the current rules, and if you want extremely big things like mammoths and emperor dragons, you have Forgeworld rules.

Appoloclypse
13-08-2007, 08:00

I agree they do not need to do a WFB version of apocalypse, the rules are already their.

Neknoh
13-08-2007, 08:20
I say go more back to the Mordheimian roots instead of going up to huge battles... which can allready be fought without a clinch

Dr Death
13-08-2007, 09:23
I think it would be nice to have a fantasy equivilent of apocalypse but there's not really much point for the reasons already stated. Fantasy seems to be a ruleset with no problem in scaling up- it's scaling down that it needs work on.

If GW could do a 'anti-apocalypse' for the next supplement, an update of Warhammer Skirmish/Mordheim to allow for that level of small scale game in several different locales (so discovery charts for Mordheim itself, the Wilds of the Old world, Lustria, Khemri/Araby, perhaps something on the Darklands and the chaos wastes (which would be fun if you want to bring in the entire 'champions of chaos' or whatever, rules.

Dr Death

Nkari
13-08-2007, 19:56
Bring out Warhammer Quest again!

crouchingotter
13-08-2007, 20:40
I think what Apocalypse does for 40K is that it means you can quite happily stick with an army that you are comfortable with but it means you don't have to stop buying new miniatures.

I dunno if you need that with WFB. Bigger forces are more workable anyway. I've not really thought about how magic would be affected in bigger games. Does it get that bad?

Crube
13-08-2007, 20:50
I dont know about WFB needing rules to specifically enable larger battles, but I would like to see rules that encompasssed larger animals/monsters etc, stuff that is referred to in the fluff, but not on the tabletop, due to game balance.

Seeing a 1000 point monster hit the table in a larger game could be cool....

winter has ended
13-08-2007, 21:13
fantasy dosnt need it, as it can be played at high poins cost and be played just as quick as low points cost games and is just as fun as it is meant for higher points games, were as 40k takes longers and is meant for low points games so it dosnt need it

Screaming Evil
13-08-2007, 21:27
I wouldn't buy it. Aside from the fact i think Fantasy can cope with mega battles perfectly fine as is, i have no great urge to play anything above 3000 points at the minute.

Even if i did i wouldn't play such big battles regularly enough to justify buying the ruleset. So a definate no from me.

pjc
13-08-2007, 22:59
mordiem level of play should be brought back intothe limelight
maybe on the level of campaigns where you start with a lord setting out for a quest and you win gold, something along the lines of shadow of the horned rat :D
it probably wouldnt work
ok it definatley wouldnt
but i love the idea

Highborn
14-08-2007, 04:02
We need Siege back.

daemonkin
14-08-2007, 09:02
Path To Glory!
Nuff said!

D.

Lord Malorne
14-08-2007, 09:08
i don't know if i would (or could) play huge games of apoc style fantasy games though if asked i would say that i would like there to be a apoc setting if than nothing more to add an extra dimension to the game and poss new minnies!

sulla
14-08-2007, 19:07
We need Siege back.

Yup, I think a siege supplement would come way before any huge battles supplement. Heck, even a scenarios supplement is needed first...

King Thurgun
14-08-2007, 19:25
It is agreed then! We storm Nottingham and force them to make low point Skirmish rules at swordpoint. FOR GRUNGNI!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
14-08-2007, 19:37
It is agreed then! We storm Nottingham and force them to make low point Skirmish rules at swordpoint. FOR GRUNGNI!

Wouldn't it be axe-point? Only poncey elves and shoddy humans use swords.

I think we could use a seige/scenario/monsters supplement in addition to a skirmish style game. Still, Mordheim is still my favorite GW game as it stands.

EDIT: to answer the question: yea I would, because there's probably ideas in there to be ninja'd for interesting campaign stuff.

Binabik15
16-08-2007, 13:43
How about a re-worked Generalīs Compendium? With re-worked skirmish rules, campaign rules, the seafight rules, maybe new monsters as well (gorgons, chimeras and giant scorpions anyone?).

IMO big monsters donīt get enough attention in warhammer. How many people bother with hippogriffs (spelling, anyone?), manticores, demonic mounts etc. Not many. But theyīre at least as sweet as a baneblade coated in smashed flavour-squigs!

And please some of those wonderful money saving deals...pretty please?!

brendino
18-08-2007, 07:05
i have huge 7000 pt. games with my gaming friends about every month, and it is really fun, but is like 3 armies against 3 other armies not 2 huge armies against each other. it works fine and needs no special book or rules, so no i would not buy a wfb apocolypse

silashand
18-08-2007, 08:56
While I don't think WFB needs an apocalypse type supplement for all the reasons already stated, what I would like to see is a viable means of using allies again as in the past. The Kislev thing was a decent start, but I think other armies could benefit from something similar as well.

Cheers, Gary

Luke
18-08-2007, 10:57
WOuld I buy it? Absolutely not. WHFB works better with large points battles than smaller anyway, thats why we use 5th ed for historical gaming where we throw many thousands of points down per side. Streamline WHFB and you take away what makes it so fun to play: Tactics.

godking
18-08-2007, 19:57
10,000+pts would take days and alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
to play. And painting 10,000+pts no thanx. It's taken me 1.5 years too paint 2500pts. I hate playing with unpainted miniatures.

StormCrow
19-08-2007, 09:46
I think the current rules for WHFB make it possible for us to field mega armies quite comfortably, but i sure would like to see some army deals akin to that ridiculous space marine deal, sure would rake in the money i think.

razz
19-08-2007, 12:28
i agree with most of the people here i'ed like to see some thing more on the line of mordheim and skirmish more then appocalypse style rules...

TheDarkDuke
21-08-2007, 00:38
well theres not much you could add to the rules so i would say they definetly dont need an apocalypse. However they could make some of those boxes that contain more models/mixutre of models you could buy before like a box of 50 chaos warriors or such, i dont see why the couldnt do that. i think big boxes of goblins and skaven would do really good.

fracas
21-08-2007, 01:43
the current rules doesn't quite cover mega battles due to the limit range of the general leadership and BSB. in mega battles rules need to provide for a high commander.

having said that, i rather play warmaster.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
21-08-2007, 09:43
Well I don't see need for a rule set but it would be lovely to see such boxes that contain a lot of stuff like boxes that contain 200goblins or so.

(oh I have already 16 000pts of greenskins so it doenst matter anymore:p)

Greetz
G

destroyerlord
21-08-2007, 10:51
I don't have a huge army for warhammer or for 40k. I do like the idea of apocalypse for 40k though because of the datasheet things (for those that dont pay attention to 40k you get a big bonus rule if you take a large number of the same thing, like 10 lemun russ tanks).
I just dont think thats what warhammer is about. Check the forgeworld site and compare the amount of titans/superheavies for 40k to the amount of large models for warhammer. They make a giant, some dragons and greater deamons, and a chaos spawn. And the beutiful war mammoth. Thats about it. What would non-chaos armies get thats new and big and shiny for big battles?
As many have said I'd much prefer better skirmish/rp rules that are story driven than huge battles for battles sake.

Appoloclypse
21-08-2007, 13:38
How about a re-worked Generalīs Compendium? With re-worked skirmish rules, campaign rules, the seafight rules, maybe new monsters as well (gorgons, chimeras and giant scorpions anyone?).

IMO big monsters donīt get enough attention in warhammer. How many people bother with hippogriffs (spelling, anyone?), manticores, demonic mounts etc. Not many. But theyīre at least as sweet as a baneblade coated in smashed flavour-squigs!

And please some of those wonderful money saving deals...pretty please?!

I agree A re-worked General's Compendium would be great, though I think that the biggest thing needed right now is a new siege rules and not the lousy ones from december's WD, don't remember the month but I think it was december 06

Crazy Harborc
22-08-2007, 02:44
Until GW has new siege toys and minies to sell.......I doubt the siege rules will be updated.

sabre4190
22-08-2007, 03:39
when i think of warhammer, i imagine more complex formations and strategies. This gets really hard for blocks of models when they dont have any room to maneuver. I could see this working, but you would need a really long table to make space. I would have a blast, but it would be tricky to set up.

The SkaerKrow
22-08-2007, 06:35
Warhammer Fantasy cannot realistically support an expansion like Apocalypse. There's no "super heavy" to upgrade to, and all you're really adding are more rank and file troops to armies.