PDA

View Full Version : Rhinox Rider Rules

Revamp
13-08-2007, 04:07
There was a thread on this one which I found but it was filled with dead links. So could somebody please link me to their current set of rules?

Bregalad
13-08-2007, 10:21
How about just going to the Forge World website and download the rules there?
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/rhinox.pdf

EvC
13-08-2007, 10:50
Those are the "experimental" rules, this page is better:
http://ca.games-workshop.com/CommunityNew/HOH/Army%20Downloads/RhinoxCavalry.pdf

Though I don't think there's any difference between the rules on FW's page and here (The US site has stuff for regular Rhinoxen, that's all I think).

catbarf
15-08-2007, 02:33
Bull Rhinoxen are generally more effective. You're paying through the nose for them anyway, so what's another couple doze points?

Urgat
15-08-2007, 10:16
These things are so ridiculously powerful and expensive, I'm not sure I'd dare use even one against someone else :p

Nkari
15-08-2007, 10:21
These are broken for their points cost.. simple as that..

arkle
15-08-2007, 10:27
My friend used to use them all the time with his Ogres, I was never best pleased. When I played against him with Tomb Kings, I charged him with a unit of skellies and Iron Guts in the flank and they still won. Plague Riders work quite well against them though.

My mate uses the WD rules.

Fredrik
15-08-2007, 14:32
True they are really broken. Can they still be used now in 7 th with the whole RAW thing GW has got going.

EvC
15-08-2007, 17:11
Sure they can, counting as two Rare choices per unit for every army that can take Dogs of War. However I agree that the rules written for them are quite dodgy, not least the ability to buy two hand weapons (And then not be able to use them). I do use a single one in my undead army, I'm tempted to upgrade it to a standard bearer with War Banner. There's gotta be a fair few really abusive combinations using magic standards though (Banner of Murder anyone)...

catbarf
15-08-2007, 18:17
These are broken for their points cost.. simple as that..

Says the one with the Chaos Dwarf avatar!

The beautiful thing is that stuff without models (like RRs, or CDs) aren't seen so often, so there isn't the cry of 'cheese!', and they're a surprise for your opponent.

Come on man, Earthshakers? They're pretty damn nasty!

I love Bull Rhinox Riders. A unit of three plus upgrades is 500pts, but they slaughter their way through everything. Plus, with a steed, thick hide, light armor, and ironfist they get a 2+ save in melee- incredibly tough to kill. I use them to charge enemy elite infantry, which usually only have S4 at best thus denying him effective return attacks. Oh, and the fact that the RRs will eat two or three ranks of the enemy troops on the charge :evilgrin:

They've gotta be the best DoW unit around, since they can take a magic banner from another race.

As for deployment: Never take less than two. Just one is cannonbait, in order for them to do damage you need numbers.

Lord Secro
15-08-2007, 18:59
Played against a unit of 3 of them in my last tournament, and avoided them for most of the fight with my highly manouverable chaos army. Eventually charged them head on with my Chaos Lord on a Dragon, armed with the Berserker sword. The sword gave the lord a total of 14 attacks, and combined with the dragons six, I did a fair number of wounds for only 1 in return. The unit held until my chosen knights flanked it in my next turn. I won the battle and got second place overall.

catbarf
15-08-2007, 19:07
What's the charge range on the Dragon? Usually the RRs will get first charge.

L192837465
15-08-2007, 19:26
20". the dragon flies.

and yes, cavalry generally do get the charge on normal troops.

W0lf
15-08-2007, 19:47
Broken?

geez a full strength unit with all the goodies comes out at like 500 pts...

2 Cannons would laugh all over them for half their pts.

catbarf
15-08-2007, 21:17
2 Cannons would laugh all over them for half their pts.

They're fast. And they've got quite a few wounds, so they can actually absorb cannonballs with a chance of surviving.

But think about it... on a bull charge, three Bull Rhinox Riders have 6 auto-S6-hits, 12 WS4 S6 attacks, and 9 WS3 S4 attacks. With heavy armor and ironfists, they have a 1+ save. Very, very nasty, to the point where someone too dumb to find a counter-tactic would yell cheese without fail.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
15-08-2007, 21:25
There is one way to send them packing nice and easy like....

Single wound panic tests.... theres quite a few out there, from Burning Head, to Warp Fire Throwers.

On Ld7, I'd expect them to flee after a bit. Set up some Skirmishers behind them before hand, and snigger your way to victory (a not particularly realistic victory, but victory all the same!)

EvC
16-08-2007, 11:17
As for deployment: Never take less than two. Just one is cannonbait, in order for them to do damage you need numbers.

I don't really like having 300+ points tied up in 2 models, as poewrful as they'd be.

My experience with them has been against:
Empire- pretty scared of the Rhinox, he moved a cannon to shoot at it, but the Rhinox was in combat by turn 3. Only managed to kill 2 Swordsmen and put a wound on the Arch Lector.
Dwarfs- a Gunline, the Rhinox was hit by the Anvil in turn one and cannoned in turn two, but just about survived, destroying a cannon and whittling down some Longbeards.
Goblins- four Bolt Throwers = one dead Rhinox on turn one. That was harsh!

Conclusion: yes, they probably do get exponentially better in larger units. But they also get to the point where you don't even have to think about how you use them beyond "Aim for target, charge. I win".

The Judge
16-08-2007, 11:54
They are fairly broken, I have a unit and use it a fair bit (I want my moneys worth!), but the thing to get them is panic, and PIKES. Cannons also hurt a lot.

sulla
16-08-2007, 20:43
I'm pretty sure whoever developed the rules for them never looked at the general overpricing of other large monsters in the game when they came up with a price. That's my only real beef with them. The rules are fun and while the rhinox are uber-killy, they also have a number of inbuilt weaknesses to balance them out. But the extortionate price of other large beasties like shaggoths, hydra and even the steam tank just make rhinox look so underpriced that it's always irritating to face them... all big stuff should be priced similarly.