PDA

View Full Version : So why aren't VP's determined by a per model basis?

MysteryGilgamesh
13-08-2007, 04:52
I just realised what bothered me about VP totaling in 40K-It's not done on a per model basis.

Why is this? Pretty much everything else works on the idea that each dude is worth X pts, but when they're getting pasted it only matters how many are left, not what your opposition actually "killed".

It's especially annoying when you assault a specific way to destroy a juiced up target (PF TH Sarge for example?), or Torrent of Fire that HW carrier into the grave, but are rewarded with zilch because X amount of a squad still lives.

It can also easily cost someone a game because that juiced up squad just barely kept 1 guy alive, or those FNP/WBB troops just never seem to go below the magic "You get VP now" threshold.

So why isn't done on a per model basis?

Randy
13-08-2007, 05:02
I think it's meant to represent it being a big deal if a squad is totally whiped out because it means they get less inf (or none if you wipe your opponent off the board) about that bit of the battle.

Losses can be easy to replace if it's a small (ie less then half) part of the squad that dies.

Bunnahabhain
13-08-2007, 05:29
To make the game simpler.

And, think about real life examples

Squad unharmed: they can report back to HQ,
Enemy gets no victory points.

Squad takes light casualties: they can get their wounded back for treatment, can report back intelligence to HQ,, and get back in the fight fairly quickly.
Enemy gets no victory points.

Squad take heavy casulties. They're going to be out of action as an effective unit for some time.
Enemy gets some victory points

Squad wiped out. Minimal chance for the injured to make a recovery, as rescue will be very late, if it comes at all. No intelligence to report back.
Enemy get many victory points

Isambard
13-08-2007, 05:33
Because most players dont wont to work out thirteen seventeenths of a two hundred and thirty eight point unit, without taking into account the added fraction of a the veteran serg.

In 2nd ed you had an even simpler system - if a unit was worth less than 100 points you got 1 pt for it. 100-199 was 2, 200-299 was 3 and so on.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
13-08-2007, 09:59
besides, we dont always have the costs for each individual model listed (and i dont just mean when x identical guys costs y pts).

im more uncomfortable with the way Scoring is worked out.

3 Marines standing on an objective is 3 Marines, whether they started off in a 5 man squad or a 10 man squad.

i suppose its just another one of those abstractions for the sake of playability.

~ Tim

BrainFireBob
13-08-2007, 19:45
Partially that, and it's also a squad-driven game. You purchase by squad, you shoot by squad, you assault by squad. ICs are squads which are also models- speaking roughly, of course.

Just because most codices let you purchase individual models *after having purchased the base squad size* does not mean you're actually buying models in a broader sense; you're reinforcing a squad.