PDA

View Full Version : Something strange in Chaos Hobby Section

Sabbad
13-08-2007, 12:09
Well, I got my first glimpse of the new Chaos Space Marines Codex yesterday.

I looked in the hobby section, and saw two models I recognised from the "Renegades" hobby page of the current codex. The Marines were from the "Damned Company of Lord Caustos" and "Warp Ghosts" armies.

But in the new codex, the names of the armies they were part of were completely different!

Now, I know this is hardly earth shattering, but after a few minutes of pondering I decided I couldn't think of ANY advantage of changing the name, except for meddling for meddling's sake. Anyone have any ideas why this happened?

lord_blackfang
13-08-2007, 12:30
Maybe they wanted to let players know that nothing is set in stone and we're free to do what we like with their suggested fluff, names and paint schemes.

Darkseer
13-08-2007, 12:36
The old names sucked.

nuff said.

grizzly ruin
13-08-2007, 12:38
Now, I know this is hardly earth shattering, but after a few minutes of pondering I decided I couldn't think of ANY advantage of changing the name, except for meddling for meddling's sake. Anyone have any ideas why this happened?

Meddling for meddlings sake.

Honestly I'm thoroughly unimpressed overall with the "focus on renegades".

Mostly it all just seems like a bunch of different paint jobs, with no real catchy fluff for any of these new renegade armies.

Again, they have totally missed the mark looking at the interest people had in the Red Corsairs and mistakenly thought people wanted a mass of renegade paint schemes.

I wouldn't have minded so much if the background on the 9 legions wasn't so wholly diminished and if the new renegade warbands weren't done in such a quantity over quality type of manner.

Here's a slew of new paint schemes and a bunch of new names we made up!

Wow.:rolleyes:

shin'keiro
13-08-2007, 19:23
Did you also notice the Dark Angels in there too? - under traitor legions... with 'unknown' underneath them!

Imp of High Noon
13-08-2007, 19:50
Did you also notice the Dark Angels in there too? - under traitor legions... with 'unknown' underneath them!
Fallen?

To be honest I don't quite get the focus on renegades, for one thing The Heresy has a far cooler premise, for another how often do space marines go renegade? Without the uber charisma of the primarchs leading them astray, I don't think it's that likely, and lets face it, despite atrittion the Heresy era csm will still outnumber any newbie renegades. So whats the point?

Voss
13-08-2007, 20:35
The old names sucked.

nuff said.

Many of the new names aren't much better.

The Purge?
And several others that are The <verb>?

Reaver83
14-08-2007, 07:52
i shall create 'The evil and vile company of the traitors of raxofalipatorious V' as a chapter!

But seriously the names to me either sound lame or pretentious, i think it is hard to strike a balance

grizzly ruin
14-08-2007, 08:01
Many of the new names aren't much better.

The Purge?
And several others that are The <verb>?

Yeah that seems to be one of methods of name generation.

But seriously the names to me either sound lame or pretentious, i think it is hard to strike a balance

Yeah most fit into one of those two descriptors.

So cool and interesting fluff, i.e. the 9 traitor legions, has been mostly pushed aside in favor of "The X's of Y", followed by splinter faction "The Y's of X".

Dicey
14-08-2007, 08:02
Fallen?

To be honest I don't quite get the focus on renegades, for one thing The Heresy has a far cooler premise, for another how often do space marines go renegade? Without the uber charisma of the primarchs leading them astray, I don't think it's that likely, and lets face it, despite atrittion the Heresy era csm will still outnumber any newbie renegades. So whats the point?

Horus was only second to the emporer in power yet he was turned, I mean it would eb easy for a chaos power to turn a mere marine. I mena the BA chappy who has been put on a permament war footing just screams Khorne

The pestilent 1
14-08-2007, 09:09
I mena the BA chappy who has been put on a permament war footing just screams Khorne

You mean thingy? Tycho?
He's dead isn't he.

And, well, who cares?
So there are more than nine chaos armies, who knew.

Darkseer
14-08-2007, 09:20
It's the whole 'go make your own chapter/warband' thing that that HW started promoting in the new marine codex.

I for one think it's good to come up with your own army and fluff.

lord_blackfang
14-08-2007, 09:26
Funny how even just changing the caption under a model is a reason to b**** about the new codex.

Rabid Bunny 666
14-08-2007, 12:01
I know blackfang, they're just running out of ideas to whinge about ;)

I like the emphasis on Renegades, the major Legions have their coverage, but the Renegade chapters bulk out the selections a bit. Plus some of the little bits of fluff under them is neat.

Partisan Rimmo
14-08-2007, 12:39
To turn your concept on it's head Imp of High Noon, without the charisma of the Primarchs to keep them in line, what's to stop the Space Marines becoming the Imperium's brutal overlords?

Satone
14-08-2007, 12:45
No mention of the pyre, apart from one little paragraph. The best scheme the give you are the only ones mentioned to be led by a demon prince, which may indicate one of the 2 missing chapters, cant remember the name but ill get back with it soon as i can

Dicey
14-08-2007, 12:46
To turn your concept on it's head Imp of High Noon, without the charisma of the Primarchs to keep them in line, what's to stop the Space Marines becoming the Imperium's brutal overlords?

thats why the legions were split down to chapters and had their attached guard and fleet element taken away

Darkseer
14-08-2007, 14:40
I agree that some of the designs aren't so hot, while others are very inspiring.

I used the Dawn of War army painter to design my personal colourscheme. :)

shin'keiro
14-08-2007, 18:02
My Chaos have always been renegades... rather than a main stream chaos... theyre called...

Maglalosus' Marauders [say it with me... Mag-la-los-us-es]

and have been called that since 3rd edition!

go renegades! :evilgrin:

Kyuss
14-08-2007, 20:51
The thing with all this 'Renegade' hate is that people seem to think it means people broke their faith to the emperor recently.

Surely a chapter which broke away 7k years ago would look as Chaos as the original 9? Why don't you play them as undivided? Yes bad daemons at the moment, but that will be fixed in a year - 18 months...

I'm thinking of doing "The Host of Earl Grey", cup of tea anyone :D

Belisarius
15-08-2007, 01:39
personally i think the big issue is hyping the renegade over the original traitor legions has put a lot of people off as there are more legion players than renegade when it comes to chaos. Personally maybe they should have promoed maybe 2 renegade things instead of turning the entire focus on renegades. I think doing the violators and red corsairs would have been enough.

cailus
15-08-2007, 05:52
Funny how even just changing the caption under a model is a reason to b**** about the new codex.

But yeah but nah but yeah but nah...the new Chaos Codex does not have the same timely news on global financial issues that the Australian Financial Reviews does.

GW therefore suck and Jervis Johnson should be nuclearated for his crimes against gaming humanity. Clerg.

Rlyehable
15-08-2007, 11:26
The new emphasis on renegades as opposed to Legions may actually draw me into Chaos. And for the same reasons I did my own space marine chapter instead of one of the "Chapter of Renown".

The prospect of independent minded warriors leading their own crusade against what they view as evil is much more appealing to me than some hide-bound, emotion-personified worshiping, fighters.

Jo Bennett
15-08-2007, 11:40
So cool and interesting fluff, i.e. the 9 traitor legions, has been mostly pushed aside in favor of "The X's of Y", followed by splinter faction "The Y's of X".

Y'know, after reading that I just want to have a renegade chapter the Judean People's Front, and their arch rivals, the People's Front of Judea.

grizzly ruin
15-08-2007, 13:06
The prospect of independent minded warriors leading their own crusade against what they view as evil is much more appealing to me than some hide-bound, emotion-personified worshiping, fighters.

While you're free to come up with any fluff you like for your forces, you may want to read the fluff for "renegades" first.

These guys aren't freedom fighters, nor are they pirates like Captain Jack Sparrow.

They are merciless, brutal killers and rampant depraved maniacs who care for nothing other than attaining power and glory at all costs - including risking their souls.

Which is the part of the fluff that I actually like.

Y'know, after reading that I just want to have a renegade chapter the Judean People's Front, and their arch rivals, the People's Front of Judea.

If you actually build both armies and post pics, I swear to never again utter a single complaint about the shift in focus onto renegades in Codex CSM.