PDA

View Full Version : Units charging skirmishers

Von Wibble
13-08-2007, 18:59
Hi

I'm clear enough on what happens when a unit charges a unit of skirmishers. But what happens when 2 or more units charge such a unit - as this situation doesn't appear to be covered by the BRB.

Is it

A) The first unit to declare the charge moves in and the skirmishers align as normal. Then the 2nd and subsequent units move in - resulting in only 1 model form ech nui contacting the foe.

B) Both (or all 3) units move to the closest skirmishing model. Then the skirmishers are aligned to both units - potentially making some charges impossible (eg if skirmishing units nearest model is nearest to central model in both units - no room for both to charge)

Or is it something else?

theunwantedbeing
13-08-2007, 19:29
Well you have to get as many models into base contact as possible,for both sides.
You have to get an equal number of models in on both sides if either side cant bring its full count of models into combat.

I'de do one of the following:

For units charging from multipel directions I'de move whoever charged first into combat,allign the skirmishers against that unit,then allign any other units around that.
Not entirely correct but a simple way of doing things.

Or..if you have 2 units charging from the same side,then both units are moved next to each other,so that one of them hits the nearest skirmisher,then the skirmishers are ranked up against the 2(or more) units as if they were a single unit.
More correct than the first and abiding by as many of the rules as possible(as far as I can see,but only really works vs charges from one side).

A combination of the 2 if the skirmishing unit is charged by 3 or more units,alligning itself with the side which declared its charge first.

Im sure somebody will tell me its wrong by some word twisting though,but thats how I would play it as it causes the least problems as far as I can see.

Festus
13-08-2007, 19:31
Hi

As skirmishers don't have frontage prior to being contacted in close combat, there are no simultaneous charges against them.

So the first unit charges, the Skirmishers rank uo and then the other units may or may not make contact, depending on the arc they are in.

Remember that tactical wheeling is allowed and encouraged.

Festus

Von Wibble
13-08-2007, 20:25
Does this mean the skirmishers can be engaged to the side - (ie the flank of the skirmishing unit once it has formed up)? I realise it isn't actually a flank charge, but it gets more models in combat.

Festus
13-08-2007, 21:18
Hi

As soon as the skirmishers are in combat, they have a flank and rear, and thus can be flank charged and/or rear charged. BRB, p.67

Festus

Masque
13-08-2007, 21:21
Does this mean the skirmishers can be engaged to the side - (ie the flank of the skirmishing unit once it has formed up)? I realise it isn't actually a flank charge, but it gets more models in combat.

Yes it does mean that they can be engaged to the side. It also is actually a flank charge and will net the enemy +1 combat resolution.

Von Wibble
14-08-2007, 14:19
And remove beastherd's ranks. Interesting.

Thanks