PDA

View Full Version : Some reasons why Wargaming is the world's best hobby...

Son of Makuta
13-08-2007, 20:46
-- A lot of people slag off wargaming, which is just a shame. As anyone who plays it knows, it's the world's best hobby/game/anything... and here's why:

Wargaming is better than...

...Football because:
- It's got more balls! The slogan of the game WARMACHINE is "Play like you've got a pair!"
- You don't need 22 people to play it, or a coach. Or a huge field.
- You can sit down while you play it.
- Your opponent can play one of any number of races. Ever tried to dribble past an elf?

...Rugby because:
- See all the reasons about football above.
- Blood Bowl, wargaming's take on rugby, has weapons. Now that's more like it.
- You don't actually get hurt playing it, or need to be a six foot, built-like-Fort-Knox wrestler type.

...Table Tennis because:
- It doesn't make that bloody 'pink, ponk' noise.
- You don't turn yourself into a recluse by practising endlessly with yourself in a mirror.
- It's easier.

...Pool because:
- We have a bigger table. And it's got terrain on it.
- Your opponent doesn't get two turns if you miss. Not to mention, you have a lot more shots.

...Art because:
- Our paint work actually has a use.
- No collages. Need I say more?
- We don't have to take one idea and develop it 900 times. (Although painting an army does get like this.)
- You can do as much or as little sculpting as you like.

...Computer Games because:
- If you want to change something, you can.
- You don't have to win one game to be able to play the next.
- The graphics are better.
- You can see the whole table at once, not the pillar directly in front of you.

...FPS because:
- If you kill an enemy, it doesn't respawn.
- Rather than being one of you, there's 10, 30, or 100 of you.
- You can set the terrain up. You don't have to play through endless repetitions of the same... damn... room...
- Or the same... four... enemy... types. There's a myriad of races in dozens of games to shoot up, beat up, eat, cast spells on, psychically tear apart...

...RTS because:
- You can have as large or as little an army as you want. You start with it all on the table, or at least in reserve.
- No buildings. Thank God.
- No resources! Yeesss! NO RESOURCES!!
- You design the campaigns.
- There's no rush. Take as long as you want; your opponent's army won't be twice the size of yours by the time you've finished telling him about your opinion on Tyranid Hive Tyrants and their use.

...Chess because:
- You can play it at any tactical level.
- You can have armies of any size you want.
- And most importantly: Wargaming has guns. Guns, I say!

...And any game or sport ever conceived of because:
- You can have a cup of tea and a social conversation while you play!

Greatoliver
13-08-2007, 20:51
Hmm... Another point is that it is a very constructive and you have a visible output to your input of hard work.

Of course, the one problem is that the GW variety of wargaming is bloody expensive but apart from that, there's not too many problems.

Personally, I think a combination of wargaming, cycling, squash and MTG is the ultimate combination of hobbies, excluding hobbies like meeting friends and going to the cinema which aren't hobbies...

Don't forget eating rocks.

EDIT: Re-reading your post, it isn't really slagged off - it's more "looked down upon." People think it's nerdy and geeky for a bizarre reason that no-one who plays with minatures will ever understand.

badnewsblair
13-08-2007, 20:58
...FPS because:

Unless you are playing against Necrons. :cries:

Slaaneshi Slave
13-08-2007, 20:59
-- A lot of people slag off wargaming, which is just a shame. As anyone who plays it knows, it's the world's best hobby/game/anything... and here's why:

...Football because:
- It's got more balls! The slogan of the game WARMACHINE is "Play like you've got a pair!"
- Your opponent can play one of any number of races. Ever tried to dribble past an elf?

...Rugby because:
- See all the reasons about football above.
- Blood Bowl, wargaming's take on rugby, has weapons. Now that's more like it.
- You don't actually get hurt playing it, or need to be a six foot, built-like-Fort-Knox wrestler type.4

You make a very good argument for playing football and rugby instead of wargaming...

EDIT: Re-reading your post, it isn't really slagged off - it's more "looked down upon." People think it's nerdy and geeky for a bizarre reason that no-one who plays with minatures will ever understand.

I play 40k and WFB, and it is nerdy and geeky, but when you get a bit older you won't care. :p

alex03
14-08-2007, 05:20
and it will cost you lots and lots of money!!!!

Davachido
14-08-2007, 05:33
Sure wargaming is a fun hobby, I like it a lot better than video games. It shouldn't be your only hobby, you still need to do some sports maybe not play the full field games but something like squash/tennis. :D

As for being geeky, who cares? I'm a geek and proud of it, I dare you to tell me otherwise. I don't know why geeks are looked down upon in US/Europe geeks just prefer a different type of hobby to people who like just playing sports (majority of geeks here are actually on teams for soccer etc in thier schools); and if they aren't playing sports they got nothing to do while we have always something around .. mmm I'm bored *whips out PSP*, got bored of that *paints minis* etc.

Master Bait
14-08-2007, 05:33
Hmm... Another point is that it is a very constructive and you have a visible output to your input of hard work.

except that once you've committed all this time, effort, money and skill into the hooby ALL you have to show is a bunch of models....

...not exactly adding anything to the greater history of man as a whole are we..

its not a particularly active sport either. i've never heard of anyone losing weight by a series of painting 'reps'

sure this hobby is great, and you hope to get some sense of fulfillment and enjoyment out of it, but just realise its not particularly constructive and the best it can do is supply a sense of escapism

Stella Cadente
14-08-2007, 05:34
yep wargaming is great

you lose all your money on plastic men
you get the crud beaten out of you for playing with little plastic men
you waste half you life painting and modeling little plastic men
90% of women think your a geek and will not touch you with a 10ft bargepole
and you spend the rest of your time arguing with players about tiny little rule discrepancies.

yeah wargaming is GREAT...........god my life hurts

Master Bait
14-08-2007, 05:35
As for being geeky, who cares? I'm a geek and proud of it, I dare you to tell me otherwise. .

sing it loud and sing it proud

Davachido
14-08-2007, 05:43
yep wargaming is great

So err, you'd rather a girl who complains about your hobbies every 2 min? She better than a girl who's enjoying the same hobby as you, helping with the painting, thinking up new strategies, coming to the wargames with you, and playing co-op missions on halo?

Master Bait
14-08-2007, 05:50
90% or women? that's actually really good odds, i bet not even 98% of women would touch Stella Cadente.

ew sticky

Hellebore
14-08-2007, 06:26
except that once you've committed all this time, effort, money and skill into the hooby ALL you have to show is a bunch of models....

...not exactly adding anything to the greater history of man as a whole are we..

its not a particularly active sport either. i've never heard of anyone losing weight by a series of painting 'reps'

sure this hobby is great, and you hope to get some sense of fulfillment and enjoyment out of it, but just realise its not particularly constructive and the best it can do is supply a sense of escapism

No more so than a sports player.

Being the one to kick a ball further and higher than someone else does not a visionary make...

I beg to differ. Many women have touched my 10ft bargepole......;)

Hellebore

Brother-Hyuuga
14-08-2007, 06:32
...Chess because:

The rules aren't broken and aren't going to change. Buy one board and you've got all the pieces you need for life. For an alternative play Risk or Stratego.

As for being geeky, who cares? I'm a geek and proud of it, I dare you to tell me otherwise.

Haha Your proud your a geek. What you dared me. Now if you excuse me I'm going to paint my gaunts. :eyebrows:

Lord Malakai
14-08-2007, 09:33
I'm happy to wear the tag of GEEK, as long as it is the older meaning of the word.

Would somebody pass me that chicken?

Carlos
14-08-2007, 09:41
I would argue that Chess is actually wargaming at its most pure: Focussed entirely on tactical play and getting rid of all the superficial things like fluff, painting, scenery building and miniatures and the randomness of Dice.

Greatoliver
14-08-2007, 13:37

Um... I have to disagree here - it is constructive when compared to hobbies like watching T.V. or Clay Pigeon shooting. You do get something out of it at the end of the day and what comes out is a symbol of your work. This is a hobby where you can actually show people that you do it.

Hellebore

I believe there are limits on both sides of this subject.

I would argue that Chess is actually wargaming at its most pure: Focussed entirely on tactical play and getting rid of all the superficial things like fluff, painting, scenery building and miniatures and the randomness of Dice.

I really hope you were being sarcastic! :D

Though, it is a valid point but the way you put it sounded very serious about quite light-hearted games.

...Unless you're a hardcore chess-player in which case, I'll take back those words! ;)

Kahadras
14-08-2007, 13:43
I would argue that Chess is actually wargaming at its most pure: Focussed entirely on tactical play and getting rid of all the superficial things like Fluff, painting, scenery building and miniatures and the randomness of Dice.

Surely though cheese isn't tactical play. Cheese is just going online, finding the 'best' build for an army and then copying it.

Kahadras

The_Outsider
14-08-2007, 13:44

I say good chap, has one forgotten the fine and noble sport of croquet?

It is a jaunty little sport that is best played on the mansion green on a fine summer's day while sipping glasses of champagne.

Toodle pip!

nurgle_boy
14-08-2007, 15:16
with wargaming you alos dont have the worries of wondering what to spend your paycheck on. you just send it to GW and they give you some toys.

As for the women side of things, If you are going after someone who dislikes you because of your hoby, you shouldnt be at all. find someone who appreciates you for who you are, and for what you do, not some superficial bimbo.

ps: superficial bimbo's are available for veiwing over the internet. plus, they dont talk back :D

Son of Makuta
14-08-2007, 20:42
ps: superficial bimbo's are available for veiwing over the internet. plus, they dont talk back :D

That is great. :D :L :D

Sir_Lunchalot
14-08-2007, 21:01
Also compare it to another (exceedingly) common hobby:

Excessive consumption of Alcohol!

Compared to heavy drinking (another hobby that I know is common among at least a few warseers) wargaming is:
*Cheaper - $50 for a box of infantry that I'll spend a couple weeks painting, then using in my army or $50 for a few hours at the bar, which you may or may not even remember.
*Healthier - aside form lead poisoning from old minis, no risk of liver disease!
*Something you can drive home from.

Thoth62
14-08-2007, 21:55

...Football because:

Well, I suppose if you're playing organized sport, then you'd need the proper amount of players. I enjoy going out to the park with friends and kicking/throwing a ball around. While wargaming provides satisfaction in the interaction with others as well as the gaming and painting side of it, I take great satisfaction in the aspect of sport, where I actually get exercise that helps me stay healthy.

...Computer Games because:
- If you want to change something, you can.
- You don't have to win one game to be able to play the next.
- The graphics are better.
- You can see the whole table at once, not the pillar directly in front of you.

...FPS because:
- Rather than being one of you, there's 10, 30, or 100 of you.
- You can set the terrain up. You don't have to play through endless repetitions of the same... damn... room...
- Or the same... four... enemy... types. There's a myriad of races in dozens of games to shoot up, beat up, eat, cast spells on, psychically tear apart...

...RTS because:
- You can have as large or as little an army as you want. You start with it all on the table, or at least in reserve.
- No buildings. Thank God.
- No resources! Yeesss! NO RESOURCES!!
- You design the campaigns.
- There's no rush. Take as long as you want; your opponent's army won't be twice the size of yours by the time you've finished telling him about your opinion on Tyranid Hive Tyrants and their use.

Computer games are also a good release when I'm feeling particularily angry at the world/anti-social. Lets be honest here. Who spends every waking hour at work or school, or assembling/painting and playing wargames. I have a life outside of my hobby that keeps me from being sick of painting all the time. No matter how much I like it, I have to take a break every once in a while.

...Chess because:

I'll admit, chess is a little boring. No offence to the chess players out there. However, when I want the satisfaction of shooting things, I'll use real guns. Yes, I do have access to them. And it's fun.

You can also have a lot of fun with playing sports, regardless of your (lack of) skill. When playing for fun, I'll have social conversations with my friends. The same goes for Wargaming. In a competative environment, like a tourney, you don't really see a whole lot of social conversations. Mostly just people trying to win.

Stella Cadente
15-08-2007, 14:07
90% or women? that's actually really good odds, i bet not even 98% of women would touch Stella Cadente.

ew sticky

I must be lucky to have found that 2% recently

but I stand by my 90% conviction, considering about 70% are Chavs and don't care about anything you do unless it involves Burbarry (plus I wouldn't want to touch there greasy ugly faces with a 20ft bargepole), 10% are too dumb to care about what you do in your life, they just want you money, and the last 10% just think your a silly little boy who plays with little toys

Jedi152
15-08-2007, 14:14

Hellebore
Hellebore wins this, and all, threads.

I know plenty of guys who play and have lots of luck with the girls.

I don't score with different girls, due to the fact i've been in a relationship for 6 years.

lord_blackfang
15-08-2007, 14:19

Wait... you don't have fluff for your Chess army?

Wraithbored
15-08-2007, 14:24
I hate chess it's so unbalanced the white pieces always get to start first :rolleyes:

L192837465
15-08-2007, 14:30
for those of us PROUD of our geek heritage, stand up!

i've been gaming for ~10 years, and say this is THE best game or activity out there, period.

what would you rather have:

playing a boardgame with a good friend, betting dinner (so even if you lose, you eat), in air conditioning, talking **** to anyone and if you've got a good enough imagination, legally murdering thousands of "people"

-or-

sitting in deep right field in the middle of august, in 100 degree, 50% humidy weather in central texas, wearing a jock strap, and waiting to win a game that does nothing more than focus around balls.

yeah. hard choice.

and who here has girlfriends that not only tolerate the game, but support and play it too! i do! and its awesome! she works at my gaming store, so i actually get to use her discount, too! hahaha yay 15% off!

Halo co-op? please.... we've had arguments litterally settled by Halo 1v1.

McNuggets
15-08-2007, 14:34

Compared to heavy drinking (another hobby that I know is common among at least a few warseers) wargaming is:
*Cheaper - $50 for a box of infantry that I'll spend a couple weeks painting, then using in my army or $50 for a few hours at the bar, which you may or may not even remember.
*Healthier - aside form lead poisoning from old minis, no risk of liver disease!

But mixing the two does lead to some fun situations..

And whats all this hatred to field sports, theres plenty of time in the the day to do sports and paint and play with our little toys

Thoth62
15-08-2007, 14:34
Hang on a second... Are you claiming that Baseball is actually a sport? Are you nuts?

I'd much rather knock someone flat on their rear ends in a good old fashioned game of hockey. Or any other sport that revolves around hitting people. Cuz I like that.

Geetarman
15-08-2007, 14:41

But in todays society of increased pressure to work hard, earn more, achieve greatness and save the world is not the acheivement of escapism one that is rapidly decreasing and (ironically) escaping too many these days?

And all this baloney about Sports, I don't remember reading about people dying from not doing sports, I read loads about people dying whilst DOING them though :D

Sports is bad for your health! I feel like I'm having a heart attack when I go jogging, I never felt like I had a heart attack sitting on my sofa eating my third pizza! Except that one time when I did, but it was all good...

Gman

Brother Gabriel
15-08-2007, 14:47
Geek ??? Whatever, i never had problems with finding girls. But i can see why some others have problems, they should take a shower, get a haircut and so on...
And yes wargaming is a great hobby but i wouldnt want to miss my gym or the kung fu school (club) i was before i moved.
So i think wargaming and other "sitting" hobbys should be combined with sports then its all cool.

MorningLightMountain
15-08-2007, 15:01

Second this! I play 40K regularly, about once a week. If I were to go out drinking once a week then I'd certainly be spending more than I do on GW stuff. I probably spend about GBP 20 per month, which is less than I'd spend n a single night out.

Yeah but all things in moderation! And my girlfriend's fine with my "little toy soldiers", she even designed the company standard for my Imperial Guard regiment ;)

Winimperial
15-08-2007, 15:10
It's got more balls! The slogan of the game WARMACHINE is "Play like you've got a pair!"

Ermm...What exactly makes wargamers tougher than rugby or football players?

Brother-Hyuuga
15-08-2007, 17:37
I'm thrilled that another geek showed up at our unit. Looks like Necromunda will start again. I need sports and working out, aside from it being my job to stay fit I need the release from the over whelming levels of stupidity from the people around me.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
15-08-2007, 18:16
Ermm...What exactly makes wargamers tougher than rugby or football players?

Enduring 7 years of professional humiliation. Mental tenacity, man. It pays off in college when girls still in high-school-mode are playing mind games with you. It also helps in the workplace, and (this next one is hypothesis) family life.

Wargaming makes me happy. I can spend hours painting and listening to slipknot while my girl sits across the table reading her manga.

Randy
15-08-2007, 20:37
I have a problem withfinding girls, but that's because they all feel threatened when they see me whispering things in their mates ear then spanking her... xD

I'm a giant flirt, I can't help it :/

jfrazell
15-08-2007, 22:04

Hey target and skeet shooting has lots of guns as well ;) Nothing is more relaxing then you and the little missus blowing some stuff up on the range.

W0lf
15-08-2007, 22:12
Reasons rugby is better then wargaming:

Its gets you girls instead of scaring them off.
It costs like 10 for a ball which is all you need.
You get to vent fustration.
Instead of killing small plastic soldiers you get to 'kill' real people.

Whilst i love wargaming i could do exactly what the OP has done with reasons for why each beats wargaming. Its nothing amazing. Your just listing half of an arguement...

adreal
16-08-2007, 01:39
Just to wiegh in with the girl arguement I remember last sat I got in a tiff with a girl about me being a Geek, I said I was and she argued with me about, knowing that I play warhammer, never played a team sport (cept for fun ones like twighlight hockey), and listen to alternative music

And i have to say going to concerts is the best hobby out there, seriously....its got it all, spending untold amounts of money, hanging with friends, good music (provided you like the band), venting frustration (ever been in a mosh pit) and the ladies.....what's not to like, oh you can even get booze there

Brother-Hyuuga
16-08-2007, 03:30
Hey target and skeet shooting has lots of guns as well ;) Nothing is more relaxing then you and the little missus blowing some stuff up on the range.

Nothing hotter then a chick with a gun.

And i have to say going to concerts is the best hobby out there, seriously....its got it all, spending untold amounts of money, hanging with friends, good music (provided you like the band), venting frustration (ever been in a mosh pit) and the ladies.....what's not to like, oh you can even get booze there

For all those reasons listed I could say going to a bar is the same thing. I spend lots of money, go there with my friends, listen to music (even if it sucks just crank it up and have another shot), bar fight to vent frustration, and plenty of ladies to have breakfast with. ;)

Hellebore
16-08-2007, 04:00
Whilst i love wargaming i could do exactly what the OP has done with reasons for why each beats wargaming. Its nothing amazing. Your just listing half of an arguement...

I think that's the point - these sorts of lists appear all the time.

Why trees are better than sex
Why Women are better than men
Why beer is better than wine
Why food is better than death
Why wargames are better than rugby

Doesn't mean they're accurate, simply amusing. 10ft bargepoles notwithstanding.

Hellebore

thewizardofoz
16-08-2007, 04:24
all right, to settle things, here's my opinion. nobody can defy it or i shall smite thee with my ungodly powers . . .

baseball sucks
football (american) sucks
basketball sucks

soccer (everyone elses football) is fun
hockey is fun
rugby and all variations = fun (hitting people)
tennis is amusing
chess is fun

PAINTBALL IS THE BEST!!11! there is nothing better than running around shooting people ten times in the a** and listening to them scream :evilgrin:, then taunting them about screaming like a girl. and if you turn up the muzzle velocity high enough, IT ACTUALLY DRAWS BLOOD! :evilgrin: that is pure awesome. i've got scars from paintballs. it is the most fun thing you will ever do. it is such an adrenaline rush when you run up on some on cowering behind a bunker like a little bitch a shoot them right in the throat :evilgrin:, bringing tears to their eyes. i love it sooo much. I RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE. just don't be a little p***y and hide behind a barricade the whole game :mad:, that is no fun for anybody.

wargaming is great fun, and i sometimes am torn between it and paintball, but paintball usually wins.

did i forget anything?

stratego is fun
risk is fun
axis and allies (best board game evar) is fun
fishing is fun.
computer games are fun (especially RTS, insult them and i shall destroy thee)

most of the population of the world is probably some type of "geek" or "nerd"
people who slander geeks and nerds are the real scum of society (these are the whore-type people of the a**h**e jocks and the paris hilton **** wanna-bes)

if you haven't guessed, i am a geek, and a nerd. there IS INFACT a slight difference between the two. but i am both, a neek if you will.

there is my opinion, it is law. you may try to alter my opinon, but not defy it.