PDA

View Full Version : Blood Dragons 2000

Lord Asuryan
13-08-2007, 21:42
I'm fairly new to VC, and thus, here's my list:

Count Torlov: Sword Of Unholy Power, Red Fury, Ring of the Night, Shield, lvl 2 wizard

Thrall Kesrel:Sword of Battle, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Nightmare

Necromancer Jarek: lvl 2, Staff of Damnation

Necromancer Lexxar: lvl 2, Book Of Arkhan, Dispel Scroll

20 Skeleton: full command

20 Skeleton: full command

9 Ghoul

8 Black Knight: full command

20 grave guard: full command

Giant

10 Crossbowmen

all advice appreciated

EOT
13-08-2007, 22:04
I'd drop the x-bows and the giant and take two units of 10 knights personally, rank bonus is always good and giants aren't all that fluffy added to the fact that the bows aint' gonna hit owt. I'd drop the skelli units down to 15 or 10 aswell, just raise more in your first turn. You can normally shave off points there.

Lord Asuryan
13-08-2007, 22:25
the giant is a hwavily converted zombie giant. I guess the VC fought Dogs of War recently.

I'll think up about the other stuff you said, and definitely drop the xbows.

Rabban
14-08-2007, 00:04
I'd drop the x-bows and the giant and take two units of 10 knights personally, rank bonus is always good and giants aren't all that fluffy added to the fact that the bows aint' gonna hit owt. I'd drop the skelli units down to 15 or 10 aswell, just raise more in your first turn. You can normally shave off points there.

I find ranks on knights are much too expensive. 3 small units (5-6) are better than 2 big ones in my experience. And I'd keep the skellie units large, your necromancers need protetction, and theres many better uses for your magic, like raising new units and van halsing your cavalry.

Unless you fight a lot of demon or forest spirit armies I drop the sword of battle for a lance, s7 is just irresistibly good, then the extra points can go on a blood line power (maybe the re-roll to hit one?).

The crossbows are unlikely to be much use so I'd drop them, and add some wolves instead. These guys are great for getting in the enemies way and angling their charges.

Lord Asuryan
14-08-2007, 16:20
OK then...

Vampire Count: Sword of Unholy Power, Ring Of The Night, Red Fury, Shield, lvl 2

Thrall: Heart Piercing, Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Barded Nightmare

Necromancer: lvl 2, Book Of Arkhan, Dispel Scroll

Necromancer: lvl 2, Staff of Damnation

20 Skeleton: full Command

20 Skeleton: full Command

5 Dire wolf

5 Dire Wolf

9 Ghoul

5 Black Knight: Full Command, Barding

20 Grave Guard: full Command

4 Fell Bat

Giant

EOT
14-08-2007, 23:15
Much better. Its a decent list not what i'd play but i have my quirks with VC's :)

Bugtor
15-08-2007, 00:03
With almost all other armies I would agree that small units of cavalry are the way to go - but not in this case! The ability to outnumber with a larger unit of knights means that your foe will often be auto-fleeing due to the fear rules. Priceless. :angel:

Malorian
15-08-2007, 01:14
I totally agree with Bugtor. Auto-flee can easily mean the difference between winning and losing a game, and setting up charges wher you know 35/36 times they are going to rnu really gives you a better control of the battle.

Even without the rank bonus, it means you can lose a few models and still hit just as hard.

Rabban
15-08-2007, 05:18
With almost all other armies I would agree that small units of cavalry are the way to go - but not in this case! The ability to outnumber with a larger unit of knights means that your foe will often be auto-fleeing due to the fear rules. Priceless. :angel:

The problem is large units of knights are expensive, so your other units suffer.

I field large units occassionaly, especially in large games, but they always have support units. I suppose it depends what you want to use them for. I generally try to use my infantry units for dealing with large enemy blocks. The knights are great for dealing with enemy cavalry and support units, or flanking anyone already engaged by the infantry.

Kerill
15-08-2007, 05:44
No killing blow for your lord seems a bit of a loss- its the whole reason blood dragons are scary, and you will seldom get the points back for the sword of unholy power, there are few times a power familiar wouldnt be better.

Master Vampire
15-08-2007, 20:25
The problem is large units of knights are expensive, so your other units suffer.

Drop the Grave Guard. They aren't worth it a bit. Take a unit of 10 BK's with standard and musician.

If you want to go really hard, mount your Count and give him a lance, barding and shield, along with Master Strike, Red Fury and Heart Piercing. Though this will make your army suffer, as the rest of the army can't march if your general runs off to the front. I wouldn't suggest this to a new player, so don't.

If not, then do not give him the mount, lance and barding for obvious reasons. On foot, give him the Sword of Battle or Might, granting either +1 A or +1 S

Thall and Necro's are ok.

Drop the Skeleton Champions. Drop the unit sizes to 15.

Take 10 Zombies. Use them as a Zombie bunker right behind your Skeleton units.

Add or deduct 1 Fell Bat from the unit. 4 isn't very useful; 3 is to attack warmachine crews and lone Mages, 5 for march blocking and the crossfire rule (autokill broken enemy units).

Not sure what you want to do with the Ghouls.

If you have points left, take a Banshee or more Ghoul (same size) units, or some more Dire Wolves. Perhaps a tie-up unit, like Spirit Hosts, can come in handy.

That's it.

Cheers and good luck :) ,
-MV

Lord Asuryan
15-08-2007, 20:47
the ghouls are a screening unit. what do you mean by 'zombie bunker'?

Master Vampire
16-08-2007, 08:18
Zombie bunkers are units of 10 Zombies used to protect any Necromancers from direct assault. Because Necromancers tend to get charged by suicidal enemy units, even when in own rank and file units, he is likely to fall prey to the amount of attacks directed at him. Hence the common VC tactic of the Zombie Bunker.

Basically place the unit 1" behind your Skellies. Place the Necromancers in the front rank, in the middle. Pretty safe.

It only began to exist in 7th edition as there was a rule change about moving between units and such....