PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Black Templars......

Death Korp
14-08-2007, 17:06
Hello all. I've decided to get help with this army i'm doing instead of crying in a corner :confused:.
I decided to this this army as i was going to do DKoK, but money is tight and i want to buy other things (Albums and pie....) and get to 1500pts and onwards ( unless another shiny thing gets in my way...). I have a rhino and a predator destructor made but not painted left over from my ultramarines army. I will be getting the space marine battleforce with the BT upgrades from maelstrom games. And then i have 120 odd quid to spend a Games day.

What should in buy :confused: ?

DK

Ruroni
14-08-2007, 18:34
The thing about the new chaos book is, it's really good! people just always wanna....

oh wait...
you aren't complaning about the new dex?
really?...

jk lol. Good man. Since the battleforce will put you at 2 rhinos, 15 initiates, 5 assault marines, and 5 neophytes, you've got a good base.

Since I don't know if quid = pounds, I'll be a dummy and guess 1 quid = 2 US$? anyway, here's what i'd suggest if I was you, obviously not a hard guide, make your army how you think it's cool.

Emperor's champion (you have to have one)
chaplain (boosts the already assault themed army's capability, put him with a good assault unit like...)
sword brethren (could get the box set and then use a few plastics to flesh out (vet skills like f charge + decent weapons options makes them a good unit)
more tactical marines (obvious choice, meltaguns and powerfists is how I run all of mine. You could have a plasmagun/heavy unit, but remember if they get shot they'll run and you're out of cover + no heavy shots)
flesh out the assault squad (5 man is kinda small and vulnerable, give em 2 special weapons, and if you're feeling saucy, 5 shields gives the unit a majority 4+ invul in CC, great vs termies, lords, etc. and a powerfist)
jump pack chaplain with a fist (rerolls for your assault unit, + some extra damage. also give orb of antioch, a nasty surprise)

That's about 135$ US, maybe 150. My personal favorite unit is assault terminators in aland raider crusader, with a chaplain, but due to roughly 125$ cost, i didn't put that in there. It should be a unit in every templar army though, down the road. Speeders, bikes with plasma/melta, a vindicator :) and a dred are all great units too. I have an entire company of templar, over 5k points, so it's hard to narrow down sometimes what's the best vs what I like the most.

Death Korp
14-08-2007, 19:54
Quid is pounds mate if you wanted to know :)

And i'm not really bovered about the Chaos Dex. It makes me annoyed that people are arguing over it (The bloodletters....gone? NOOOOOOO!!!!! My Chaos army is doomed, doomed i tell you!!!!!! :cries:)

I like the idea of the storm shields with the assault squad as i don't want an expensive squad to be blown to bits...

I'm willing to pay for a LR Crusader as i want to make some converted Assault Termies to go with them (And that will be expensive.....).
And are neophytes good? Or are they a load of cannon fodder?

And what is the best vow for the EC (or whatever it is called, i'm a BT noob...).

Please help, i need all the help i need!

DK

chinnfrequent
14-08-2007, 20:29
As the battle force will give you more than enough marines with bolters for shooty squads, a box of Blood Claws for assaulting would be a good choice. Attach the scouts to it and you have a strong combat squad. Also another Assault squad box, giving you 10 jump marines, would be a good choice. I wouldn't give many shields (3 at most) since you lose an attack for it.

You'll need a Champion and a Chaplain is a great HQ choice for templar due to zeal. Don't take one with a jump pack, his abilities are better used on crusader squads since Assault Squads can't zeal. You shouldn't need a Marshal unless you have a lot of shootier infantry squads (needing 7s for target priority sucks).

Templar tend to be lighter on the guns, so another predator, land speeders, or terminators with assault cannons are all good choices.

As for your questions, the Champion's vow is really up to your preferences and what you're fighting. I usually take Accept Any Challenge as it adds to the BT's assaultyness and since it's the most expensive one, you can always down grade it and put the points somewhere else. In general, Uphold and Accept are good against anything while Abhor and Suffer are enemy specific, but it's really up to what you're fighting. For example: Accept isn't useful against Tau as you'll hit on 3s anyway, but Uphold will be very helpful. Against Dark Eldar, Suffer works great as you'll be attacking last anyway and will wound on 2s.

Neophytes are good because they add mass to your combat squads. More men to outnumber you enemy, making routing them easier, more attacks for cheap and more wounds so the power fist can do its thing. A 15+ man assaulty squad is a very deadly thing.

Ruroni
14-08-2007, 20:56
I'm sorry I should have specified, almost all of your marines should have CCW imo. in 5k I have 8 guys with bolters, and swap around 1 AC, 1 Lascannon, 1 HB, and 1 Missile. I agree that a chap on foot should be #1 as Chinn said, but even without zeal, if you had a second one, an assault squad would be a good place. 2 plasma pistols and an orb that auto glances are pretty nasty to marines, or even light vehicles. I also take accept most of the time, but my main opponent is (yuck) more MeQ. Hitting everything but characters on 3 is nice. If you combine that with a chaplain, on a charge, with assault termies... think 5 claws, 4 attacks each, hit on 3, reroll to hit on 3s and to wound with furious charge. It's one of the only units that still have a vet skill, so use it. Neophytes are good, still have the same number of attacks, and are cheaper, so no reason not to take them. Don't forget if you don't use termies sometimes, you can use something like 14 marines/neophytes in the LRC with a chaplain.

Here's my basic list for reference: ~2500 pts
Champ
Chaplain in term armor with Thammer (that's just for fun, haha)
Chaplain with jump pack, fist, honors, and orb

Sword brethren in a rhino
sword brethren termies in a LRC
Drednought with varying weapons (TL las and missile with tank hunter is a good idea, though i miss assault)

3 or so squads of troops, melta and powerfist, 2 in rhinos, 1 with neophytes

landspeeder (either a Multimelta one or an AC/HB, depends on what sounds fun for the day)
assault squad, 5 storm shields, 2 plasma pistols, fist (though you lose 5 attacks, the entire unit having a 4+ invul in CC (including a chaplain) can be amazing)

Vindicator (don't leave home w/o it)

Mind you like I said I have a lot more, tha's just the more solid entries I think. For fun try doing a bike unit and a bike mounted character! I have a chaplain on one in my avatar. Also I have a techmarine on foot with a retinue, with a jump pack, and on a bike converted as well. All silly options but fun.

Egaeus
14-08-2007, 21:32
I like the idea of the storm shields with the assault squad as i don't want an expensive squad to be blown to bits...

I'm willing to pay for a LR Crusader as i want to make some converted Assault Termies to go with them (And that will be expensive.....).
And are neophytes good? Or are they a load of cannon fodder?

And what is the best vow for the EC (or whatever it is called, i'm a BT noob...).

Please help, i need all the help i need!

DK

The problem is, Storm Shields aren't going to help against shooting at all, and they reduce the number of attacks you get in close combat. OTOH they can help you survive if you want to throw the unit against nasty opposing CC units.

Neophytes can be a mixed blessing, depending on how you look at it. On one hand, they're cheap so they can be used to bolster a squad's size if that's what you want (not so good if you want to go Rhino mechanized, but if you can afford LRCs they're useful). On the other hand, they're cheap for a reason and they cause the unit to use to use the mixed armour rules (although this can in some cases be an advantage).

The value of the vows are really going to be dependent on your theme and play style. The one I always take is "Uphold the Honour of the Emperor" since I like getting the save, even if I can't ever roll well enough for it to really be useful.

One thing I'm going to suggest is that you will want a Commander. Because of the way Righteous Zeal works you're going to be taking more morale checks than a normal army, so you want that better leadership.