PDA

View Full Version : Taking it on the Chin: CSM

nathonicus
14-08-2007, 17:11
What does a warrior do in the face of adversity? On the battlefields of the far future, does a soldier simply throw his hands up and curse the gods? Or does he hunker down to try every dirty trick and desperate gambit he can?

It seems that every board I frequent, (except for one) is filled with moaning over the recent marine codices, with the wailing over chaos reaching ear-splitting levels. I can understand that a change may be unwelcome, may even be daft, but to hear people ranting so much, insulting the game designers, and calling the whole thing (codex:csm) crap without having yet played it does not reflect well on wargaming as a hobby.

It all comes down to this; what do you do when faced with a challenge? You can either whine about it or suck it up and make the best of it. I can't get the image of a bunch of spiky chaos marines standing around the water-cooler and crying about how the gods have cheated them out of my head.

Chaos has had one of the strongest books in the game for years, with some extremely broken options. If you don't think you can have FUN playing an army in the new codex, if you don't like the CHALLENGE of creating a competitive list, then maybe you should go pick up one of the truly disregarded codexes like ORKs or DE for a while. It might change your perspective!

A lot of armies used to be thought of as crap, before someone put enough work into developing tactics and strategies that made the most of them.

I understand the frustration of having models made obsolete - I've played enough WHFB to watch edition changes make really good models fit for nothing other than the shelf. But that's where counts as, house rules, and shoot, just collecting another unit come into play. No-one is taking your models away from you, and chances are they will find a use in the future.

I apologize for this rant, but honestly, I am very disheartened to see so many members of the wargaming community standing around and whining, and getting really angry when they should be PLANNING TO WIN by developing new tactics, lists, and strategies for the new books.

The codex is here, it's different, and good players will play competitively with it. Good modelers and painters will still make their ideas come to life. And good gamers will still have FUN playing with their friends.

I think that the online gaming community, as a whole, can rise above the moaning stage to the creative problem solving stage. I hope I'm not wrong!

Dosadi
14-08-2007, 17:14
Amen brother!

Dosadi

mistformsquirrel
14-08-2007, 17:19
To be honest - its hardly just wargaming. I've been an MMO player for 10 years at this point - every single patch, nerf, buff, etc that goes into a game will tick someone off.

SOMEONE will hate it.

SOMEONE will threaten to quit over it.

Someone ELSE will tell that person to shut up and deal with it.

A THIRD person will then yell at the second for telling the first to shut up.

A flame war will ensue.

This is the nature of game design. No matter what you do, people will hate you for it.

I'm not defending nor attacking the new Chaos codex - for me, its just 'what is' because quite simply my 40k career is just beginning. I'm new, I have no preconceived ideas of what a Chaos codex aught to be or look like; and I have no attachment to Daemons of any particular stripe.

I guess the point I'm making is - people hate change. Period. There's nothing anyone can do to change that. I've just come to the conclusion that to be a game designer is to have your name spit upon, your work trashed, and your intelligence questioned, all by the same people who endlessly buy your products and call themselves 'fans'. Very unusual relationship, but apparently some people can cope with it!

Brimstone
14-08-2007, 17:31
Oh god not another one, we have plenty of thread aleady on this very subject, please use one of them.

Thread Closed

The Warseer Inquisition

Polonius
14-08-2007, 17:31
Oh, the whining is totally out of hand. On the other hand, you have to have at least some understanding for it. I'm a dynamic gamer: I want the new book, the new units, a new army. I love to expand my forces, try new things.

Some folks are static gamers: they want to paint/convert/build an army, and then play it forever. They built an army when the last 'dex came out, grew comfy, and are now thrown into the cold void. Some of these guys might have families or jobs they didn't have before. I'm not justifying their whines, but explaining and excusing them.

Quite simply: change freaks a lot of people out. I, for one, am willing to cut them a little slack for the time being.