PDA

View Full Version : Hordes (hopefully) Khorne-i seriously need some help

Icewalker
14-08-2007, 20:22
Forgive my idiocy but i don't know how to make liszts for my life. I'm new to hordes of chaos and I just want to know what is a good set up for a 1000 point army. my pappy is probably gonna be ona tight budget so whats a good starting point?

preferably mortals

i was thinking
khorne lord (unmounted)
2 regiments of khorne warriors
or
exalted daemon of tzeentch (daemonic legion)
plus an assload of flamers screamers and flamers
i like the second one a lot, but the problem is all of the daemons are made of metal making them pricey right?
i don't want to deal with marauders cause i'm miserable with pianting flesh tones

Putty
15-08-2007, 03:36
hmmm....

you don't need to buy a Khorne Lord. You can mod one from the Warrior sprues (there is a champion for you to mod)

for 1000 points, you can actually field an aspring champion, 3 units of 12 khorne warriors (or 10 to free up more points) and a few warhounds (a box of 10 might do atm).

Yah... the daemons will be rather expensive because they are metal.

Khorghan
15-08-2007, 04:10
Yeah, deamons will definatly be expensive. The above suggestion to model a khorne warrior into the general would be a good thing to do (just stick the lord into the unit that you took him from) make the unit with the lord chosen

Kerill
15-08-2007, 05:19
Daemons are very expensive and since they currently suck and SOC lists are a bit out in the wind at the moment I would suggest going with the khornate mortals (although I'm a Tzeentch man myself).

The first thing you will need is warhounds to shield the worst of frenzy. You can buy the warhounds or flesh hounds or convert some plastic wolves (whatever is cheaper), paint them up in red and green and you can then choose to use them as warhounds or fleshhounds each game. Maybe go for a box of foot troops and a box of knights so you have a good mix.

If you are on a budget there are lots of ways to save money. Get your hands on some milliput (SOOO much cheaper than green stuff), two 2P coins and some balsa wood or cereal box card. Make a yoke out of card or a coat hanger.

Cover the coins with milliput and attach to the balsa/cereal card base. Draw lines into the milliput so it looks like a solid wheel made from 3 planks of wood. Decorate with anything you have (including leftovers from your warriors/knights sprue) and if using card cover the card in a thin layer of milliput and sculpt woodgrain onto it. Put two plastic warriors in there and hey presto you have a Chaos Chariot as well. (you can use horses for steeds or even fleshhounds/warhounds would look good for a khorne chariot).

Icewalker
15-08-2007, 19:48
Alright I finally thought up of an army liszt and it's primitive so bear with me.

Heroes: Aspiring Champion of Khorne=160
- Axe of Khorne
- Crimson Armour of dargan
- Mark of Khorne

Core: 11 Khorne Warriors (16 if you include the asp champ)=328
- Chosen w/ Additional Hand weapons
- Full Command
- Mark of Khorne
Core: 3x5 Warhounds=90
Core: 12 Chaos Warriors=249
- Additional Hand Weapons
- Full Command
- Mark of Khorne

Special: 2x5 Blood Hounds of Khorne=160

W0lf
15-08-2007, 19:54
NEVER take aspirings.

Always eaxlteds. so so much better.

How many points are you aiming for?

Icewalker
15-08-2007, 20:07
NEVER take aspirings.

How many points are you aiming for?
About 1000-why is it that I never take aspiring champs?

Heroes: Aspiring Champion of Khorne=180
- Axe of Khorne
- Mark of Khorne

Core: 11 Khorne Warriors (16 if you include the asp champ)=328
- Full Command
- Mark of Khorne
- Full Command
- Mark of Khorne

W0lf
15-08-2007, 20:43
aspiring champs are so inferior to exalteds for 20 pts less.

Exalteds are a steal.

Try this:

Heros
Exalted Champion of Khorne (join knights or Warriors)
Axe of Khorne, Shield, Steed
178 pts

Core:
20 warriors of Khorne
Shields, Full command, Banner of Rage
420 pts

5 Khorne Knights
Standard, Musician, War Banner
265 pts

5 Warhounds (screen knights)
30 pts

5 warhounds (screen warriors)
30 pts

Special 80 pts
5 Blood hounds of Khorne
80 pts

1003 pts.

You may want to swap the 2 Magical banners around. Im not a khorne player so i wouldnt know.

daGreatMaw
16-08-2007, 00:30
i think a unit of 20 is overkill, khorne warriors rely on lots and lots of DEATH not ranks, try breaking that unit down

Icewalker
16-08-2007, 04:40
Heroes: Exalted Champion of Khorne=180
- Axe of Khorne
- Mark of Khorne

Core: 11 Khorne Warriors (12 if you include the champ)=328
- Full Command
- Mark of Khorne
- Full Command
- Mark of Khorne

Putty
16-08-2007, 04:59
I field Aspring Champs @ 1000 pts because they are cheap. And 1000 points for a Khorne army that is Warriors based is very tight, point wise.

This is a list I usually field for 1000 pts.

Aspiring Champion: Frail, Shield, Steed, Sword of Might, Armor of Damnation, MoK - 185 pts

Chaos Knights x 4: MoK - 177 pts

Chaos Warriors x 12: MoK, Halberd, Shield, Standard, Musician, Warbanner- 292 pts

Chaos Warriors x 12: MoK, Halberd, Shield, Standard, Musician - 267

Chaos Warhounds x 6 - 36

Chaos Warhounds x 6 - 36

Total: 993 points

If you take out the magic banner, you can add another unit of 5 warhounds.

If you decide not to field knights, you can use the points for Khorne Fleshhounds and Furies.

I play against Dwarves (bad match up) alot hence the musicians and standards. But I leave the knights bare because they are the hammer unit.

MalevolentDeath
16-08-2007, 06:51
[QUOTE=W0lf;1831403]NEVER take aspirings.

I didn't see a response myself but why exhaulted over aspiring? I am new and using chaos myself, so I am also curious.

Punk_in_Drublic
16-08-2007, 08:00
aspiring champs are so inferior to exalteds for 20 pts less.

Exalteds are a steal.

There's your answer for you. For only 20 pts more, you get an exhalted. Come on, just compare the stat lines. for 100 pts you get a hero choice that rivals most other armies lord stats.

The aspiring option should be reserved for when you want to field a bsb.

Later,

-Punk

W0lf
16-08-2007, 08:18
Id like to point out my list would anhinalte yours.

20 warriors in a unit insures they can take 15 casulaties and still fight just as well. Helll a unit that can absorb 10 deaths and simply not care has got to be good right?

I myself field 22 chosen with a exalted and lord in @ 2K.

Never have they let me down...

Sure most games they have something like 8 chosen + heros left by the time they hit combat.. but they still roll through everything.

oh and @ puttys list:

The warhounds will be shot down first turn, flee through your warriors and possibly cause them to flee. Mounted heros with knights are a must however they shouldnt be your general (who will be to far away).

Put the warriors in one unit also. It makes them 10x more durable.

Nkari
16-08-2007, 09:14
Unless you are wielding a 2handed weapon there is no reason what so ever of NOT having your hero or lord mounted on a barded steed if possible.. There really isnt..

Warhounds is a must, 5 big.. for 36 pts its the cheapest fodder you have, they are used for redirecting enemy charges, or making them fail by fleeing, or blocking LOS to your frenzied regiments so they dont charge the wrong thing, and a host of other roles..

No chaos playe should ever have less than 3 units in 2000 pts imho..

And since your warriors are Khorne they dont give a rats ass about hounds running throu them..

Punk_in_Drublic
16-08-2007, 09:40
Id like to point out my list would anhinalte yours.

I'd like to point out that my father is stronger than your father. :rolleyes:

You are commenting his list from a tzeench player point of view, and most of thsoe points are moot when it comes to the mark of khorne as he has to be beaten in combat to loose his frenzy.

I think we can all agree that 20+ chosen khorne warriors on foot is a bit of an overkill. Most chaos players would recommend units of 10-12 with extra hand weapon.

Later,

-Punk

Icewalker
16-08-2007, 15:49
In light of all the new recomendations, here is the next one thousand point liszt.
Heroes: Exalted Champion of Khorne=187
- Axe of Khorne
- Collar of Khorne
- Shield
- Mark of Khorne
- Joins unit of Chosen

Core: 11 Chosen of Khorne (12 with Hero)=320
- Shields & Halberds
- Mark of Khorne (Warbanner aussi)
- Full Command
Core: 12 Warriors of Khorne=279
- Mark of Khorne
- Full Command
- Mark of Khorne
Core: 35 Warhounds=210

hows that?

Punk_in_Drublic
16-08-2007, 16:47
Why do you keep calling it a liszt?

Anyway, what are your plans for 35 warhounds? What about dropping like, 20 of them, use 3x5 for screeners an redirectors and make rom for a chariot?

Later,

-Punk

Icewalker
18-08-2007, 05:04
Why do you keep calling it a liszt?

Anyway, what are your plans for 35 warhounds? What about dropping like, 20 of them, use 3x5 for screeners an redirectors and make rom for a chariot?

Later,

-Punk
Everytime i say "liszt" i pay homage to Franz Liszt :-P

what's the advantage in having a chariot if I may enquire (I'm a dumby please bear with the stupid question).

Punk_in_Drublic
18-08-2007, 09:05
You get another heavy hitter in your army instead of ********s of hounds that will run with their tail between their legs at the first casualty.

It is the toughest chariot in the game, and can in some cases even take a charge and stay fighting.

It sometimes makes for a better bluff unit than the dawgs.

1d6+1 impact hits at str 5 + 2 str5 and 2 str 4 attacks at impact.

14" charge - nice to tag team with warriors or knight to ensure enemy breakage.

Again, i have to ask, what was your plan for all those hounds?

Later,

-Punk

winter has ended
18-08-2007, 09:21
erm chaos chariots can only charge 7" as they are barded not 14

logan054
18-08-2007, 09:22
Heroes: Exalted Champion of Khorne=187
- Axe of Khorne
- Collar of Khorne
- Shield
- Mark of Khorne
- Joins unit of Chosen

Its a ok combo, i only use this when im in a fluffy mood, how abour something like sword of might + gaze of the gods or armour of damantion, another option is to just have a halberd or great weapon or if in the marauders make him undivided and give him helm of many eyes and great weapon.

Core: 11 Chosen of Khorne (12 with Hero)=320
- Shields & Halberds
- Mark of Khorne (Warbanner aussi)
- Full Command

It is never worth spending the points on being chosen, personally i would take 15 with halberds, no shields and warbanner, comes to 315pts, the unit does not need a character.

Core: 12 Warriors of Khorne=279
- Mark of Khorne
- Full Command
- Mark of Khorne

I would just drop them and take a unit if marauders with Light armour + shield or great weapons and stick your exalted here, its better to spread the points out

Core: 35 Warhounds=210

hmm, personally i would maybe have 2 units of 6 wounds and then small beast herd to screen my warriors. I would also try and fit in a unit of furies and minotaurs. If the marauders was 20 strong that should give you the points for furies, they really are a must for all chaos, even more so with such a small list.

Now your current list has many weakness, speed, sure you have warhounds but they are hardly hard to deal with, skirmishers will rip this army apart just as cav heavy forces, your strong against magic but again shooting will hurt this army, beast herds are great at absorbing missile fire.

Punk_in_Drublic
18-08-2007, 09:25
erm chaos chariots can only charge 7" as they are barded not 14

dude.

Horses has a movement value of 8. With barding this is reduced to 7. A chariot move at their mounts movement value and cannot march. It does, however, double the base movement value as any other unit when it charge, giving it a charge of 14 inches. Get your facts straight before erm-ing anyone.

Later,

-Punk

W0lf
18-08-2007, 14:07
'erm chaos chariots can only charge 7" as they are barded not 14'

LMFAO.

erm chaos chariots can only charge 14" as they are barded not 16".

Corrected for you.

Icewalker
18-08-2007, 14:46
On the notion of the assload of hounds, I dunno-more cannon fodder?
Ok so a chariot, no chosen, add in a unit of knights-alright. Why is it not worth it to upgrade to chosen? And would it be a dumb idea to add the hero with the chariot?
thankee kindly.

theunwantedbeing
18-08-2007, 15:02
Loads of hound units allow several advantages.
Fodder,loads of it
Plus as frenzied troops arent bothered by panic it doesnt matter if they run away.

Secondly,you can just deploy your fodder first,35 of them = 7 units.
Thats 7 units you get to deploy of rubbish stuff while your opponent has to put 7 of his things down having no real idea where your going to put your decent stuff.
So you effectively get to wait for him to deploy,then deploy against his stuff in the best way possible.

Hounds are pretty quick and can take down war machine crews,I've seen my hounds take down dwarven crew before.

Chosen on khornate troops is generally not worth it as you already have enough attacks to butcher whatever you come into contact with.
It's effectively like making a smoothie out of the enemy by blending everything for twice as long as normal,you still get the same effect but you've wasted twice as much energy for no real reason.

The hero with the chariot has a few problems
1. cannon fodder,expensive cannon fodder
"oh look a character in a chariot,pop him off first then."
2. Frenzied chariot..its expensive for very little extra,unlike knights or warriors who get double attacks you get a couple of attacks out of it....
That and its easily baited so easily avoided.

Keep your character's on barded steeds.
Keep the silly amount of fodder(ablative sheilding ^_^ )
Then take whatever you want but dont make things chosen as its not really a nessecary upgrade.

That being said,on foot warriors with halberds no reason not to make them chosen if its a very small unit(ie. 12 or less)
Deploy 6 wide,the enemy is forced to maximise models in base contact(so you all get to fight) and you generate 19st5 attacks.
You dont need ranks,or a standard...although it helps :P

Normal army,1 exaulted as the general.
Big line of ablative sheilding infront of it all.

logan054
18-08-2007, 16:13
beast herds are far better cannon fodder for infantry than hounds, sure they arnt as fast however they can
a) cover flanks
b) -1 to hit and thus absorb a **** load more shooting

units of 12 chaos warriors arnt all that good you have to take other factors into account than attacks, if you have several units that are 6 wide you run into problems with moving and deployment, harder to wheel, taking up more space on the board, terrain pieces. I think my game with fatolaf would be a prime example, thanks to terran being laid out in a certain position i ended being bottle necked, if my units had of all been the extra wider i wouldnt of actually been able to get through easily. Now sure 6 wide you get to extra guys attacking, ok cool, your unit of 12 is also 2 combat res behind on a unit of 15, you actually dont gain anything, with a unit of 15 it is also far easier to get the kills required to get outnumber or even make the numbers equal, remember a unit of 12 is only starting with +2 combat res meaning it is 3 behing, it takes a bad roll and your pretty screwed. +1 combat res will make all the difference in tight combats, units thats rely on kills rather than combat res dont usually win big.

Punk_in_Drublic
19-08-2007, 13:26
Secondly,you can just deploy your fodder first,35 of them = 7 units.
Thats 7 units you get to deploy of rubbish stuff while your opponent has to put 7 of his things down having no real idea where your going to put your decent stuff.
So you effectively get to wait for him to deploy,then deploy against his stuff in the best way possible.

7 units of hounds in a 1000pts army makes for a novelty army and you know it. And he already told us he was on a budget. Not to mention that they are a bitch to assemble and to greenstuff considering how little you get in return for the job ;) If he want a nice alround army to get into the game, and at the same time being on a budget, a chariot would be a nice little addendum to his list.

Later,

-Punk

fubukii
19-08-2007, 16:54
could always just use Wolves from the wolf rider boxes they are alot cheaper then chaos hound models and still fit the hound look