PDA

View Full Version : Would you play Warhammer 30.000?

Archaon
14-08-2007, 22:46
Now we all know the 40K background.

Some guy decides he's the best thing since sliced bread, assembles himself a huge army and builds 20 sons.

They set out, reconnect humans scattered all around the galaxy when suddenly one of those sons decides he's the best thing since sliced bread.

End result? Warhammer 30.000

I've always been drawn into this background and while many elements don't seem very original it is quite interesting. So i'm wondering if it would be feasible for GW to revamp their entire line and launch 30K?

I mean a completely new game and model line.. new plastic Space Marine miniatures, new units, a whole redesign of most existing armies.
I'd imagine this being done in several waves.. 1st wave would be the Emperor winning Terra and setting out to the stars.

2nd wave would be the Legions spreading out to reclaim the Empire.

3rd wave.. Istvaan Massacre and the battle towards Terra

4th and final wave.. Battle for Terra

Accompanying these waves would be new miniatures to show the upgrades in technology.. while 1st generation Space Marines seemed crude by todays standards they would get better looking armor from wave to wave until being near 40K when the Battle for Terra starts.

Other races could play out themes from their history.. the Fall of the Eldar, Orks being.. well Orks (not much change there), Tau are not existant yet and i'm sure GW could throw in a few others to have variety (since Necrons and Tyranids haven't arrived yet) to spice things up.

It would allow 40K players to collect entire different armies or precursors of their own.. Black Legion players could collect Luna Wolves or Sons of Horus Marines with a non-evil Abaddon (for now) or Dark Angel/Space Wolf players could enact the feud that exists between them.

Since GW will soon release Apocalypse there might even be the possibility to field Primarchs and maybe the Emperor himself (not overly powerful.. one background tidbit had him almost choked to death by an Ork boss).

Once all current 40K armies have their 4th edition codexes and accompanying miniatures i think this would be a very nice change of the game.

Obviously i'm realistic enough to know that such a project is way too risky to undertake how i envision it because it basically means that there would be no or little 40K support for at least 5 years and GW won't risk that at all by introducing and untried game but one can dream.

Would you like to reenact the famous battles with a whole new series of models or would you pass?

Drogmir
14-08-2007, 22:54
I would think a better way to do it, is to do a mini what if campaign and expansion while still supporting 40K.

lord_blackfang
14-08-2007, 23:01
So it would be

Phase 1: Uber Marines pwning random isolated humans and a few Orks here or there
Phase 2: Marine vs. Marine battles until the cows come home

the1stpip
14-08-2007, 23:04
It's a nice idea, and I would love to build a pre-heresy army, but so many armies would be cast adrift.

It would only be possible as a supplement, rather than a whole new game, and if people want to play with their current armies, then you wouldn't be able to stop them

Luthien
14-08-2007, 23:06
yeah but warhammer 25-30K is better then you get the age of strife, loadsa juicy stuff in there :D

Davachido
14-08-2007, 23:08
I would play this just for fluff reasons, maybe GW should give us some scenarios from key events in the 30k era (sorta like what their doing for LOTR). So give each player a set list from the scenario and some additional special rules to all units to account for the time shift. This will include also compensating for the technology (i.e cheaper plasma, cheaper artificer).

Maybe even primarch stats :D ... nah there'd be too much complaining about their stats and people going 'My primach is better than your primach' almost becoming some warhammer pokemon variant.

Partisan Rimmo
14-08-2007, 23:12
No. All this pre heresy stuff miffs me.

I mean what, is the 40,000 galaxy not big enough for you? Oh wait, IT'S INFINITE!!!

Sounds like a bad case of someone needs to crack out the imaginations...

colmarekblack
14-08-2007, 23:18
Maybe even primarch stats :D ... nah there'd be too much complaining about their stats and people going 'My primach is better than your primach' almost becoming some warhammer pokemon variant.

*Has image of Horus been sucked up into a pokeball*

:D

A neutral shade of black.
14-08-2007, 23:21
Phase 1: Uber Marines pwning random isolated humans and a few Orks here or there

Wait - isn't that the current state of the metagame for 40k? :rolleyes:

Arcanus
14-08-2007, 23:25
It'd be interesting but I doubt GW would do it.

Davachido
14-08-2007, 23:29

kid 1: I choose you Sanguinius!
kid 2: Hah you do not stand a chance against my almighty Horus, go Horus!
*they start to play a one-on-one primarch battle on the table*
*after dice rolling sanguinius 'faints'*
kid 2: My almighty Horus has slain your puny primarch.
kid 1: Nooooo emperor damn you.
kid 3: I will save you with my secret emperor unit.
*wild emperor attacks Horus*
kid 2: My Horus can still beat your FALSE emperor.
kid 3: Hah I have a special rule to encase myself in a throne to kill Horus in a single blow.
kid 2: What?! nooooo.

Railgunner
14-08-2007, 23:31

That certainly made me LOL!!

But OT, it's a great idea....but there are already enough Space Marine armies everywhere, dont give people even more reason to collect them (So we will probably be seeing GW bringing it out next year;)).

RG

Drogmir
14-08-2007, 23:33
kid 1: I choose you Sanguinius!
kid 2: Hah you do not stand a chance against my almighty Horus, go Horus!
*they start to play a one-on-one primarch battle on the table*
*after dice rolling sanguinius 'faints'*
kid 2: My almighty Horus has slain your puny primarch.
kid 1: Nooooo emperor damn you.
kid 3: I will save you with my secret emperor unit.
*wild emperor attacks Horus*
kid 2: My Horus can still beat your FALSE emperor.
kid 3: Hah I have a special rule to encase myself in a throne to kill Horus in a single blow.
kid 2: What?! nooooo.

kid 4: Aw man I missed the battle, now what I am gonna do with Roboute Gulliman? No way I'm fighting another Ork Warboss.

lord_blackfang
14-08-2007, 23:34

Yeah. But let's at least not try to justify it with fluff.

Elcampbello
14-08-2007, 23:35
No, as it would force some revealing of the two unknown founding chapters. Mystery is fun kids!

Drogmir
14-08-2007, 23:40
You know I just remembered that the warp can "supposedly" teleport someone back in time traveling through it if something horrible happened.

And also wouldn't that mean the Squats would be back?

I can see it now! Candian IG meet the Shade clad pre-IG named Army!

mistformsquirrel
14-08-2007, 23:59
*Personally* - no I wouldn't be all that interested.

I don't say that as any sort of slap though. The idea itself is fine - its just that for me, I like the 41st millennium and the idea of looking back to the misty past where the Emperor still walked among his people.

I guess the thing that attracts me to 40k more than anything though, is that the background is a backdrop wherein we're allowed to create all sorts of insane ideas. Few things are just completely 'out of the realm of possibility' - and most of the things that *ARE* out of the realm of possibility can even then be fixed with some intelligent writing.

However, this wouldn't be true in a 30k game. There are no chapters - no creating a DIY chapter for instance. The best you could do is claim the status of "Lost Legion" - which in 40k can make for some great stories (especially as there's always the question of 'how true is it' in the back of one's head) - but in a 30k situation... well... EVERYONE wielding a Lost Legion would just seem... blah to me.

IG might be interesting. Eldar wouldn't be much different. NEcrons wouldn't exist however - very few would have been awake, if any at all. Tyranids wouldn't have arrived in any significant numbers, and only at the very outer reaches of the galaxy.

I guess summed up - you'd have to really create some new and interesting armies with good variety or it'd just feel like Lord Blackfang said essentially.

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
15-08-2007, 00:06
if it will use other game mechanic - i'll fell in love

If same game mechanic - it will be cool, but also lost opportunity.

Skibbles
15-08-2007, 00:09
No, as it would force some revealing of the two unknown founding chapters. Mystery is fun kids!
I disagree somewhat, mystery is only fun when you know there is an actual answer.

CherryMan
15-08-2007, 00:12
personally i would love to make a pre-herasy army of emperors children. but sadly its to expensive to start a new army every month:D

Master Bait
15-08-2007, 00:13
i reckon it'd be fun

i'd do it - pre-heresy chapter schemes and what not would be rad.

also it'd give opportunity to play a range of different alien races as they got discovered and then purged as the imperium reformed itself.

victorpofa
15-08-2007, 00:18
I'd definitely get some pre-heresy models for my Black Armored Dark Angels :evilgrin:

Prince Facestab
15-08-2007, 00:21
So it would be

So, just like regular 40k then?

I joke, I joke...

EDIT: Oh blast! Someone already made that joke way before me. I'll get you next time!

Icarus
15-08-2007, 00:28
I think it would be really fun and would be a good way to explore some really good background and possibly introduce a more complex rules system.

You could get into a lot more detail. Every single Space Marine Legion could have their own special rules and characters. IG, Eldar and Orks would all still have important roles to play, as well as adding in cool things like Sisters of Silence and Custodes.

If done right I think it could be excellent. If it was poorly executed as a kind of "40k just set in the past" then it would suck.

SamaNagol
15-08-2007, 00:29
Play Apocalypse and build a themed army. Congratulations, you now have Warhammer 30,000.

crandall87
15-08-2007, 00:30
I would just love to see GW just release a black templars-esc upgrade sprue/box of pre herasy parts so people can covert them. I don't care too much about rules for them. this boxed set would sell like anything.

SamaNagol
15-08-2007, 00:32
I think that accounted for pretty much 95% of the sales of the Red Scorpions sprues from Forgeworld.

Lord_Squinty
15-08-2007, 06:28
I would just love to see GW just release a black templars-esc upgrade sprue/box of pre herasy parts so people can covert them. I don't care too much about rules for them. this boxed set would sell like anything.

QFT

Codex - Heresey and some armour variant models would be cool.
And, some shoulder pad sprues for other chapters / legions wouldnt go amiss either.

"Thinks Mentor legion..."
Its weird you can get raptor doors etc from forgeworld, but no shoulder pads from GW...
:cries:

DasAtomkind
15-08-2007, 08:11
If you really crave for Warhammer 30.000, try checking the "Bell of Lost Souls" weblog of Mkerr and the other guys. They have made their fan rulebook for Heresy Era.

Bell of Lost Souls: Warhammer 30,000: Heresy-Era Ruleset (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2007/07/warhammer-30000-heresy-era-ruleset.html)

Stormhammers
15-08-2007, 08:39
I agree with SamaNagul, just make a themed army...maybe make up some house rules and there you go, WH 30K. I admit, I do like the idea, but being a guard player, dont really see TOO much changes happening my way.

Commissar_Sven
15-08-2007, 08:55
If you really crave for Warhammer 30.000, try checking the "Bell of Lost Souls" weblog of Mkerr and the other guys. They have made their fan rulebook for Heresy Era.

Bell of Lost Souls: Warhammer 30,000: Heresy-Era Ruleset (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2007/07/warhammer-30000-heresy-era-ruleset.html)

Damn you beat me to it.

I am going to use their rule set to build my Death Guard loyalists led by Nathaniel Garro.

Archaon
15-08-2007, 09:17
Personally the most appealing thing would be to have old school Marine armor.. those with a bit of years below their belly may remember that there were at one point official Marine miniatures from all versions.. MK.I up to MK.VIII (the one with the high collar).

I'd like to see that and as a bonus GW would be able to sell a totally new line of miniatures.

I'd like to see Marine units on Jetbikes, Guard being able to use Rhinos and Land Raiders and everything else that's rare in 40K but quite common in 30K.

A "mature", i.e. more detailed version of the ruleset wouldn't go amiss either and i'm sure GW would be able to come up with different armies to compensate for the lack of Tyranids, Tau and Necrons (Squats was a good idea.. haven't even thought of them).

I think it would be a good shakeup of the xxK games and quite interesting.

Randy
15-08-2007, 11:55
*Wonders if only primarchs can be pokemon..*

Go, Maugan Ra!! I choose you!! xD

Blutrache
15-08-2007, 15:07
Yes I would, I definitely like the background fluff. I guess I'll go against the crowd as I would like to see it more skirmish based though. Individual models fighting it out on loads of specialized tables. GW could make a few (10-20) different aliens of varying sort and let the legionnaires take 'em on. Or let the legionnaires take each other on in the ruins of Isstvan III...

My 0.02 Imperial credits.

/Cheers

Count de Monet
15-08-2007, 15:15
As a whole different game, not so much.

As a supplement to 40K that's basically optional 'unofficial' units for those that want to use them for friendly games (marine jetbikes, etc) - sure.

As plastic kits of pre-heresy power armor - heck yeah! Those would sell like hotcakes.

wolfspider
15-08-2007, 16:04
I think that a 10 man box set with Mk4 armour, a 10 man box set with Mk5 and a 10 man box set with Mk6 armour, make on box set as Assault, one tac and one devestator box, and a hersey codex would be a better way to go. :D

DasAtomkind
15-08-2007, 16:27
Damn you beat me to it.

Oh, I am sorry :D

Emperor's Grace
15-08-2007, 17:44
I think that a mixed mark "upgrade" sprue for the tac and term sets would be great.

No new rules needed.

Vesica
15-08-2007, 17:54
I would love it, so many legions to play so little money :).

Imagine having a Primarch leading you marines :evilgrin: .

Minion
15-08-2007, 18:04
wouldnt be bad actually but other armies would be utterly purged,as necrons wouldnt be awakened yet or chaos wouldnt exist yet but id love to build pre heresy armies like a thousand sons army where there still red but i dont think GW would make such a variant but its worth asking them;)

Minion
15-08-2007, 18:04
wouldnt be bad actually but other armies would be utterly purged,as necrons wouldnt be awakened yet or chaos wouldnt exist yet but id love to build pre heresy armies like a thousand sons army where there still red but i dont think GW would make such a variant but its worth asking them

Vesica
15-08-2007, 18:09
wouldnt be bad actually but other armies would be utterly purged,as necrons wouldnt be awakened yet or chaos wouldnt exist yet but id love to build pre heresy armies like a thousand sons army where there still red but i dont think GW would make such a variant but its worth asking them

screw asking them, we will threaten them till we get it.

Keichi246
15-08-2007, 18:16
So it would be:

/Sigged! :D

King Thurgun
15-08-2007, 18:26
kid 4: Aw man I missed the battle, now what I am gonna do with Roboute Gulliman? No way I'm fighting another Ork Warboss.

Ah but can a kid pronounce Roboute Guilliman? I submit that he cannot.

Greatoliver
15-08-2007, 18:28
Actually, Warhammer 30.000 would be really cool.

Ug1: Ug oo ugug oo
Ug2: Ug ugugugug oo
*They fight with bone clubs*
Ug2: Ug uggg oo ugg ugug oo!
*Ug2's head splits open*
Ug1: Uguguguguugugugu!!!

Yeah, I'm in.

vlad78
15-08-2007, 18:44
I want to play warhammer 42.000.

vlad

Greatoliver
15-08-2007, 18:52
I want to play warhammer 42.000.

vlad

Well, that would be like WH 30 but with a few more long words.... ;)

Baneboss
15-08-2007, 19:14
WH 42.000 is only about Tyranids, Necrons and daemons.

Malakai
15-08-2007, 19:19
I would be interested in it. I think though I'd rather have FW cook up some character models to paint like the primarchs and the Emperor.

-Malakai

elvinltl
16-08-2007, 02:48
I thought at 30k the Eldar where at the height of their power since the Fall had not occured??? There is a small brief period before the warp storm was clamed and at that point in time the Eldar race was like on a mad rampage for anything and whatever they desired...

SamaNagol
16-08-2007, 03:01
You know, they just need to make some Mk 4 and 5 legs for Marines. That's all. Everything else is there for you.

Brother Gabriel
16-08-2007, 03:09
I thought at 30k the Eldar where at the height of their power since the Fall had not occured??? There is a small brief period before the warp storm was clamed and at that point in time the Eldar race was like on a mad rampage for anything and whatever they desired...

The fall of the Eldar was the signal for humanity to rise to power. So i think at 30k the Eldar are already about to become a Slaaneshi Burp ^^.

Drogmir
16-08-2007, 05:01
What about Warhammer 20K?

:)