PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to play as...

kamedake88
15-08-2007, 02:04
I was just thinking of a cool exercise that a friend of mine thought up. the exercise is in 100 words or less convince me to play a certain race, army, CHAPTER (as I am a space marine fanatic). list their traits and why they would appeal to a player. :D

ex: yo Kamedake I want you to play Blood Angels over Black Templars because... and begin to list what makes them cool how they work on the field of battle and what are some negative aspects that add character and make them interesting and challenging to play as.

The whole purpose of this is that I have a about 2000 points of partial to fully assembled space marine chapter and due to my ADD I can't decide who to paint and play as. Also I'd rather start out with an established chapter and have my second army a DIY. Only one rule though the Army can not be dark angels. I have the dex and I'm not to fond of their vagary and uninteresting armor color... I just don't like em.

Please be compelling as anyone who convinces me gets Dark Angel bits as a gift from me.

Master Bait
15-08-2007, 02:10
ooo DA bits for free? yes please

crimson fists have always appealed to me; one of the OG second founding chapters with an illustrious history, and the victims of tragedy seeing they almost got wiped out.

an army with a mix of grizzled veterans and fresh faced recruits yah.

i've always dug the paint scheme too

Drogmir
15-08-2007, 02:12
Ultramarines.

Break the newbie generalization.

grickherder
15-08-2007, 02:16
Play Tyranids:

First of all there are enough 3+ save armies out there, so it gives your opponent some variety as well. Tyranids also present opponents with an interesting tactical challenge of target selection. In many armies, what you should shoot at is immediately obvious but with the tyranids, it's often a difficult choice to make.

Secondly, you can make a variety of lists, from all hand to hand to surprisingly good at shooting. You can make a variety of themed armies and interesting combined force armies.

The models are fantastic and come with some of the best range of bitz of any of the plastics.

Master Bait
15-08-2007, 02:25
^ nice suggestion..... if only the OP had a bunch of spare tyranid models lying about instead of SM ones:rolleyes:

natedogg710
15-08-2007, 02:27
Go Kroot Mercenaries. Almost no one plays it and it is incredibly fun army. Also, many opponents don't know how they play because they have never seen them played before.

kamedake88
15-08-2007, 02:29
^ nice suggestion..... if only the OP had a bunch of spare tyranid models lying about instead of SM ones:rolleyes:

what the hell is that supposed to mean I can hock all my models and buy new one quickly

Arcanus
15-08-2007, 02:39
Well play an Inquisitorial Army, it's one of the most fluffy army's you can play and personally my favorite army because of the rich narratives you can create with an Inquisitor. While you might not always win you will always have fun playing an Iniquisitorial Army. It doesn't matter which you choose Ordo Malleus for is a cleaner more of a goodie-two-shoes type of army and Ordo Hereticus is for dark and gritty characters. To put it simply the Inquisition is the best choice. Also, there are great opportunities for conversions/rehashing characters from LOTR or WHFB as henchmen.

ehlijen
15-08-2007, 02:46
Play Iron Hands. The only thing cooler than a giant, genetically engineered, power armoured, heaviliy armed super human is a giant, genetically engineered, Dreadnaught armoured (tactical or otherwise), heavily armed robot super human. You also get Doc Oc to lead your army if you want.

kamedake88
15-08-2007, 03:02
Well play an Inquisitorial Army, it's one of the most fluffy army's you can play and personally my favorite army because of the rich narratives you can create with an Inquisitor. While you might not always win you will always have fun play an Iniquisitorial Army. It doesn't matter which you choose Ordo Malleus (Order of the Hammer) for is a cleaner more of a goodie-two-shoes type of army and Ordo Hereticus (Order of the Heretic) is for dark and gritty characters. To put it simply the Inquisition is the best choice.

aye I kinda have an inquisition base already I have that limited edition inquisitor that looks like he belongs in fantasy and a squad of Grey Knights plus a squad of none Inquisition Karsikans that I can easily strip and paint in inquisitorial storm troopers color.

Arcanus
15-08-2007, 03:10
aye I kinda have an inquisition base already I have that limited edition inquisitor that looks like he belongs in fantasy and a squad of Grey Knights plus a squad of none Inquisition Karsikans that I can easily strip and paint in inquisitorial storm troopers color.

But do you play SoB another fine choice, they give you access to some of the nicest look minis in the game. The Seraphim are probably the nicest looking units in the game. Also, the Exorcist and Immolator are two beatiful and effective vehicles. You'll get Acts of Faith too. Each SoB squad gives you a faith point which can be used to give you extra strength, make your models fearless, or make your save invulnerable, for example. So SoB are another good choice. Another plus is that not many people play as them so you usually won't have ten SoB players at you local shops unlike Space Marines.

Master Bait
15-08-2007, 03:15
what the hell is that supposed to mean I can hock all my models and buy new one quickly
shoulda mentioned that then eh? ;)

Slaaneshi Slave
15-08-2007, 03:18
Play as the army you think looks and feels the best. You'll have a lot more fun if you can associate with the background of whatever force you pick.

What do I win?

kamedake88
15-08-2007, 03:18
^ lol When I was reading your post I was reading SoB as Son of a bitch. Ya I like the sisters allot actually but I've never been to keen on them, mostly because of my own ignorance and the fact that I like the staleness and purity of GK and most space marines. Plus I'm anal when I paint and I doubt my skills are up to par to paint the to my liking. though SoB are a viable option for the future.

kamedake88
15-08-2007, 03:20
Play as the army you think looks and feels the best. You'll have a lot more fun if you can associate with the background of whatever force you pick.

What do I win?

sry for the dp but hey its my thread. um a wheel of cheese, I'll send it usps. hope you like toe cheese lol

Arcanus
15-08-2007, 03:23
^ lol When I was reading your post I was reading SoB as Son of a bitch. Ya I like the sisters allot actually but I've never been to keen on them, mostly because of my own ignorance and the fact that I like the staleness and purity of GK and most space marines. Plus I'm anal when I paint and I doubt my skills are up to par to paint the to my liking. though SoB are a viable option for the future.

Yeah they do take some skills to paint but they're not as hard to paint as they are made out to paint they were my second army at first t was challenging and now it's nothing to paint them. It all depends on you skill level as long as it's not your first army you should be fine. The things that brought me to SoB were the vehicles. The Exorcist looks amazing it makes me think of a organ mounted on a rhino.

TheSanityAssassin
15-08-2007, 06:06
Play Scythes of the Emperor,

They are a wonderful mix of bitter and vengeful, but completely honour bound to avenge their homeworld. They have a long history of battling different Xenos races as well as a stint guarding the Lamenters. The idea of a company of honourable yet bitter veterans clinging to the last vestiges of past glory is very appealing. They also offer a great amount of conversion opportunities, and the yellow and black colour scheme is very striking. That they are whittled down to so few men also allows for a great fluff background to each soldier.

Drogmir
15-08-2007, 06:43
Ah I know! Rainbow Warriors, they basically don't exist anymore as they were wiped by the Inquisition. But it would be a bit of a blast from the past with that crazy paint scheme they had going there.

kamedake88
15-08-2007, 07:49
some cool posts, but I'm not convinced yet. come on people were talking about 25 bucks or more worth of DA bits at stake here

Arcanus
15-08-2007, 07:59
some cool posts, but I'm not convinced yet. come on people were talking about 25 bucks or more worth of DA bits at stake here

What about Necrons? Necrons are pretty good for a fun army just to play around with. Easy to paint and easy to play. WBB makes them amazing and Warriors are to only Troops with standard weapons that can wound vehicles. Also, Necrons don't require precision unlike the Eldar so you can make mistakes and still end up winning the game. Also, it's very funny to see a players reaction when he hits 5 models with a plasma cannon and and no one dies. It's very similar to :eek:. The only drawback to Necron is phase-out but I have read, I'm not sure if it's true but, with the new codex phase-out will disappear.

kamedake88
18-08-2007, 01:24
after hours of mind numbing diliberation I have decided to play Blood Angels and bring Honor to he who is interred on Baal.

For the Emperor, For Sanguinius, for... is that a blood doughnut; excuse me

Arcanus
18-08-2007, 02:04
after hours of mind numbing diliberation I have decided to play Blood Angels and bring Honor to he who is interred on Baal.

For the Emperor, For Sanguinius, for... is that a blood doughnut; excuse me

So no one won:confused:, it makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time:(.

kamedake88
18-08-2007, 02:53
ya well The next person who posts and wants to trade me a terminator or anything else I will gladly give my DA veteran squad and loads of other bits to them

Panic
18-08-2007, 04:03
I suggest Howling Griffons.
Awesome colour scheme and look great on tabletop if painted right...
Traits? I'm not too sure but who cares? You have an army that looks great :D

grickherder
18-08-2007, 05:24
I'm actually just starting Blood Angels as well. I really like the PDF codex and the ways in which they are different from the regular marines. I also like that they undid the previous codex. It was Codex: Khorne Berzerkers but called Blood Angels. The new one is much closer in line to their historic rules and fluff.