PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone feel like the old Cadian figures are better than the new?

Ktotwf
15-08-2007, 11:13
While they are hideously expensive, they look more like I imagine the "Imperial Guard" looks than the new Cadians. Maybe that is me.

Anubis_the_Harlie
15-08-2007, 11:16
It's not just you, I personally don't like the look of the new cadians. Though I do like the versitility of the plastic kits.

The older cadians looked a lot more "40k" I think the new ones just looktoo similar to generic sci-fi human soldiers.

Luthien
15-08-2007, 11:20
Nah personally i like 'em because they look like generic sci-fi soldiers

Warp Zero
15-08-2007, 11:43
I like the new ones a lot more.

Brush your teeth
15-08-2007, 11:50
i dont like the new ones much at all to be honest, the old ones rawked

but the plastics do give you alot more possibilites, ill give them that.

The Judge
15-08-2007, 11:54
I do like the old ones a lot, tonnes of character etc, but the new ones are also pretty damn good.

Of course, everything is "generic sci-fi" compared to my ultra-Blanche gothic Vostroyans.

Sureshot05
15-08-2007, 12:50
I love the "new" Cadians, the old ones were never that good for me. Especially their lieutenant.

DarthSte
15-08-2007, 13:01
The fat lieutenant with the shotgun and little cap on his head? Never understood why anybody would give their lieutenant a shotgun.
I really like the new Cadian models. They remind me a lot of the M.I. from the Starship troopers films, generic massed infantry. They should all be painted grey though, none of this green rubbish that they seem to like to wear nowerdays. Where is the honour in wearing green?

Ktotwf
15-08-2007, 13:10
In order to make them look more like the MI from Starship Troopers, I was thinking dark blue with black helmets and trim.

Thats a damn good paint scheme anyway though.

lord_blackfang
15-08-2007, 13:20
They may be, but looks aren't everything. Who wants to carry around 100+ metal models? ;)

Ktotwf
15-08-2007, 13:22
I love metal figures. No assembly required. Reduces a huge part of the army preparation process.

Angelwing
15-08-2007, 13:26
I prefer the look of the old metals, but the new plastics are far more versatile with lots of bits and pieces for conversion, and with forgeworld add ons are even better.

neXus6
15-08-2007, 13:33
They may be, but looks aren't everything. Who wants to carry around 100+ metal models? ;)

Lies looks are everything, if you can't carry 100 little bits of metal your in trouble already. :p

It's really odd, when we were stuck with the plastic Crapachans I longed for plastic Cadians to come out, now after having the Cadians for a while I just think they are sooooo boring, if I had the money I would go for an all metal army. Though to be honest it would probably be Valhallans or Steel Legion before Cadians.

The metal Catachans look way better than the plastic Crapachans, so it's only right that the Cadians are the same. :)

Bunnahabhain
15-08-2007, 13:34
I prefer the looks, weight, versatility and cost of the new ones.

I could live with the cost and weight of the old ones- plenty of people have metal regiment IG armies, but the Cadians just didn't look as good as the other metal regiments, and the versatility is the real winner. I have snipers, rough riders, officers, standard troopers, medics, standard bearers and all sorts of others, built using mainly Cadian plastic bits. I wouldn't be able to do that with metal.

Stella Cadente
15-08-2007, 13:38
I prefer the look of the old ones, but the price and quantity of the new ones

neXus6
15-08-2007, 13:43
Another thing I find it a lot nicer to paint metal than plastic. But then I'm trying to get through my Sister of Battle army at the moment...that'll be about 100 models at 1500pts. :p

Getz
15-08-2007, 13:57
I like both about equally for looks, but plastic beats metal hands down for cost and versatility.

Suffice it to say, I'm planning a completely new IG army to use the old metal Cadians...

L192837465
15-08-2007, 14:37
i like the new ones more, for the sole fact of plastic. the old ones... were very... odd looking to me. badass, but odd. i just can't stand an army where its consistently pushing 150 guys in a 2k list, and there are 10 poses. ugh. but yeah, new ftw!

unheilig
15-08-2007, 14:42
I think anyone who doesn't think the current Cadians are The Hotness is on some serious crack.

Khorghan
15-08-2007, 14:49
i definatly think the new ones are better looks wise and the fact that they are lighter and more versitile.

sqigglett
15-08-2007, 14:51
personally i like the old ones (the ones during eye of terror)

Ironhand
15-08-2007, 14:56
No. I definitely think the new ones are much better. The poses are better, the boxes come with extra gear, and they are plastic and much easier to convert.

Winimperial
15-08-2007, 15:08
I like the old ones more. The new ones look pretty "cool" and their versitle because theyre plastic, but the old ones just seem to have much more character to them and seem much more apart of the 40k universe.

Apologist
15-08-2007, 16:20
Well, apologies for rather derailing the thread, but if anyone's *really* keen on the old models, I have an armoured regiment (i.e. all painted, and mounted in chimeras) of them that needs to be sold to finance a new gearbox and a candlelit meal for two...*

http://warseer.com/forums/sale-ads/98636-classic-mechanised-imperial-guard-sale.html#post1830665

On topic; I like both of them equally. The old ones will have a place in my heart, but my real faves were the Rogue Trader ones – the Necromunda Spiders.

*That's a new gearbox for my car; and a meal with a special someone; not a candlelit meal for me and the gearbox. The Adeptus Mechanicus love has to stop somewhere!

Killgore
16-08-2007, 17:21
I loved the imperial symbol on the shoulder armor of the old Cadians

i like the cheapness of the new Cadians but miss the design of the old metals

Luke
16-08-2007, 17:23
The only IG that in my opinion look like "40k" should are the Vossies. Finally we get some gothic guard to fill that huge gap in such a gothic and cliche emo/dark universe.

answer_is_42
16-08-2007, 17:30
The old Cadians are miles better than the new. Shame GW seems to want to kill them off (they've disappeared from UK website). I prefer all the old IG to the new ones.

Who wants to carry around 100+ metal models?

I do, 1500pts of praetorians.....

Baneboss
16-08-2007, 17:39

I do. Whole SL army with around 130 models.

ratfusion
16-08-2007, 17:41
I love that fat lt with the shotgun. He just oozes character.

I let him be a JO in charge when I'm playing someone new, as an excuse to make lots of mistakes for them to take advantage of.

I really like both ranges though, and while I prefer metal figures (solid weight in hand, ease of stripping, damage resistance) I love the new plastic guys design.

I've come to accept the scale issues, in the true GW style of 'do what looks cool'.

MegaPope
16-08-2007, 19:03
That old Cadian Lt. was blatantly based on G.W Bailey (Captain Harris from the Police Academy films).

As for comparisons - well, having painted both, I must say I found very little difference in styling or overall looks. If pressed, IMO, the plassies just about nudge it in terms of coolness. The older Cadians just didn't look sci-fi enough - too much like generic soldiers, but not enough like the faceless masses of the Emperor's inexhaustible armies, as the very old plastics were (there was something about all those built in helmet sunglasses that really dehumanised them).

Unlike the other regiments, the old Cadians never really had a very strong theme (WWI German for SL, WWII Russian for Valhallans, Desert Tribesmen for Tallarn etc). I guess a lot of people liked this, but for me the new plastics reintroduced that image of endless ranks of identical, badass stormtroopers of the future marching in perfect step, which to me is what the Guard are all about.

dr.oetk3r
16-08-2007, 19:08
I like both equally. Use plastic for regular troops and metal for conscripts.

Shadowheart
17-08-2007, 00:54
I'm a sucker for the 2nd edition metal Guard, and although the Cadians are my least favourite of the lot, I still prefer them over the new Cadians. I'm not keen on the armour that dominates them, plus I think for a horde army like the Guard, multi-part plastics are more of a pain than a blessing (except in price).

That said, I wouldn't call either one better, they're both really solid miniature ranges. If anything the fact that the new ones have command models gives them the edge.

prince_dios
17-08-2007, 02:04
The new ones are almost as tall as Space Marines. I don't like them.

I'm not really fond of the old Cadians either, though. I really wish I could trade my 200 metal cadians for Steel Legion or Mordians. Or go back in time and pimp-slap myself.

Cap'n Facebeard
17-08-2007, 02:30
The new ones are almost as tall as Space Marines. I don't like them.

Thats a prob across the miniature ranges. I'm put off collecting marine armies purely by aesthetics - marine models just aren't big enough. Aren't they meant to be 7 foot +? But their arms are thinner than IG Catachans? pffff...

freebooter
17-08-2007, 06:30
I myself have a collection starting of the new Cadian models but over the years I've painted up a squad each of Steel Legion, Valhallan, Catachan and Cadian metals. I love the metal models so much more than the plastics. They look better and are so much better to paint.
And someone questioned why you'd have a shotgun armed sarge...
Because it's cool...
Who doesn't give their sarge's shotguns?

Uncle_Cthulu
17-08-2007, 08:18
Never liked the old ones when they were first released. Think it was the lieutant. I like the plastic ones, though seeing old ones with some Waffen ss camo, made me look at them in a new light.
But if you are going to do classic, why go cadian when there are Valhallens, the nicest guard by far

Panic
17-08-2007, 12:33
I personally prefer the current Cadian models over the old metal figures.
The old version looked more like WW2-ish and not so much '40k'-ish and the Lieutenant model was just a 'no' from me.
Only thing I don't like about the current plastic ones is the fatty look they have. Maybe it's just me.