PDA

View Full Version : Boxed set: Battle for Mcragge. Is it all unpainted?

Rob
15-08-2007, 18:29
Is everything in the Battle for Mcragge boxed set unpainted? I wanted to get it for my 9 year old son? Thanx

Oh, and the rulebook in the game, is it the same as the one that you can buy for $50?

El_Phen
15-08-2007, 18:32
Yes, everything in the box comes unpainted and on sprues, ready to be put together. If my memory serves me correct, there is a small painting guide in the rule book which details how to paint both the Tyranid and Space marine models should you wish to follow that advice.

badnewsblair
15-08-2007, 18:35
All unpainted and on sprues. However, both sides are very easy to put together and yes, there is a quick painting guide that does a decent job describing how to get a good looking paint job on both sides. It also comes with great terrain pieces!

Green Shoes
15-08-2007, 19:05
The rulebook is a "mini" version. It contains all the rules of the $50 on, just smaller.

Kegluneq
15-08-2007, 19:06
Oh, and the rulebook in the game, is it the same as the one that you can buy for $50?
From what I've heard, it's a straight reprint of the most important bits of the main rulebook (so minus the extensive fluff and artwork, and without the extra mission ideas). So you could play a full 40k game with it and be able to play people with the 'proper' rulebook as well.

Beaten!

Rob
15-08-2007, 19:33
Much appreciated fellas. This box set looks like a good way to get back into 40k.:D

badnewsblair
15-08-2007, 20:23
For $45, there really isn't a better way to get into the hobby. Welcome back!

Randy
15-08-2007, 20:25
The rulebook is essentially the same as the $50 one except for this:

1. The print is half the size (ish..)
2. All the fluff (ie background) is taken out.

The rules are however -all- in there. If you want the rules, that is perfect for your son. Small and easy to keep tidy.

Halcyon504
15-08-2007, 23:57
As an added voice, the small rule book is PERFECT for playing, because of it's small size. With it you don't have to lug around such a big book with you everywhere, and I feel it's a very convenient companion to your big book because of it's size.

As for that, the value of Maccrage is excellent, and you cannot go wrong with it. :D

Bregalad
16-08-2007, 01:05
Well, the rulebook contains all the rules, as it is just the same pages reduced in size. It does not contain scenarios (important for tournaments), alternative rules for small games (either 400 points or even smaller: 8-10 models) plus the fluff and hobby section.
The scenarios and alternative rules are not important for a beginner, the fluff and hobby section are nice though. Still, the starter box is the best start into the hobby.

Inquisitor Feldenhaus
16-08-2007, 01:10
If your son is just starting this is perfect, since he is young, and may not have the best painting skills, and luckily the guide has models painted like a beginner may paint them, not a proffesional, or even an experianced painter.

adreal
16-08-2007, 01:25
It also has a book to help your son come to grips with playing, called battle of macragge, stuff like how to move, shoot and combat are in there starting with maybwe 5 guys working up to two squads of 5 (assumeing he wants to play space marines)

After going through this afew time, then the mini rulebook wont seem as daunting to the 9 year old mind, as he can already play

Stella Cadente
16-08-2007, 01:43
also as advice, the box is all you need to start, BUT do not let the staff push you into buying more than he needs to begin, I've seen staff come up with enough BS to fill a skip, if a staff member tries to push more items on you tell them to push off.

example I saw a family buy there 2 sons a Maccragge set, and they ended up with 2 big rulebooks, 2 marine codex's, and a set of trees, all because they listened to a staff member, don't let them do that

also if hes starting out, get a starter paint set to help him along, and some spray from a car shop, DO NOT BUY GW SPRAY its expensive and its proven to have the coverage of doggie urine, get some Hycote black and that will do

adreal
16-08-2007, 02:06
I think the new starter sets come with the paint, atleast in Aus that seems to be the trend, make sure to check that, no point in spending more then you have to right off the bat.

Yeah GW are pretty bad at trying that crap, especially if you don't know exactly where stuff is, they will come up and offer advise like listed above, which is a shame as you don't need anything more then the BoM (Battle of Macragge) to start with....

I <3 W
16-08-2007, 05:16
Hey, does your son have any freinds who play this...cuz if he doesnt its kionda boring

ChaosMaster
16-08-2007, 06:10
There are now special hobby versions of the starter boxed sets that come with paint and a brush, but all GW models come unassembled and unpainted. It states this clearly on all their packaging. No pre-painted models are sold in boxes by GW at this time. If the child is not ready to paint yet it's no big deal, they'll still enjoy assembling the simple starter models and getting the feel for the modelling and or gaming hobby.

El_Phen
16-08-2007, 11:52
Just one last thing, in case you hadn't already bought the game/paints etc.

"ebay is your friend".

Rob
16-08-2007, 12:34
Thanx again guys. I started playing 40k in 1992 when the 2nd edition came out. Played some 3rd edition as well. Last time I played was probably 2003 so I have plenty of models and paints.

I just have no clue what edition 40k is up to now.

Bregalad
16-08-2007, 16:41
40k is 4th edition now.

Draeven
16-08-2007, 21:33
I just purchased this for my self about a week ago. as has been stated before all unassembled and unpainted. The marines are basic gun / back pack body so are easy to assemble. The nids are 3 to 2 pieces. It all went together well. Also i have almost finished painting the terrain, each piece can be easily done in 30 to 45 mins and thats just a basic level of painting.

The Orange
16-08-2007, 21:45
example I saw a family buy there 2 sons a Maccragge set, and they ended up with 2 big rulebooks, 2 marine codex's, and a set of trees, all because they listened to a staff member, don't let them do that
Wow, that is quite horrible. 2 BGB's and 2 SM codices, what a waste. You'd think something like that would drive customers away once they've figured they've been had.

also if hes starting out, get a starter paint set to help him along, and some spray from a car shop, DO NOT BUY GW SPRAY its expensive and its proven to have the coverage of doggie urine, get some Hycote black and that will do
GW is actually starting to roll out Starter sets that come with paints, so the OP might want to look out for those. Unless he prefers to buy the regular pots (which personally I'd do so to be sure to have the paints I wan't, and not extras that I can't use).

Stella Cadente
17-08-2007, 00:04
thats such nonsense with just the BFM you wouldnt be able to paint and spray models now would you? Also what if someone would be willing to start playing with all of the official rules? then both a codex SM and Nids would be needed.

but not if there beginners who just want to play and have fun, and what if after being told to buy this and that the kids suddenly realize they hate this game, all that stuff that a stupid staffer told them to buy because if they didn't they could never play, suddenly becomes worthless.

also we reccommend starting at the age of 12 and advise lads younger then that to come back when they are 12. If people would still want to start thats their choice ofcourse.

bah, thats rubbish, they only say to start at 12 because they have more money to spend at that age, I started at 6 on much more complicated games than 40k, and I never had the money to buy main rulebook for 10yrs, I played by memory