PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Orcssault

Tuch
16-08-2007, 14:48
After a small discussion on the tactics forum about an all Orc cavalry list this is what I initially came up with.

General
Black Orc Warboss
Wyvern
Heavy Armor
Akrit Axe
Enchanted Shield
Best Big Boss 'At
Imbads Iron Gnashes

BSB
Black Orc Big Boss
Chariot
Heavy Armor
Porko's Pigstikka
Battle Standard

Shaman
Savage Orc Shaman
Boar
War Paint
Martog's Best Basha
Nibbla's Itty Ring

Goblin Shaman
Wolf Chariot
Power Stone
Dispel Scroll

Core
2x Wolf Rider x6
Musician
Spear

2x Spider Riders x6
Musician

Special
Savage Orc Boar Boys Big'Uns x6
Full Command
Spear
Shield
Nogg's Banner of Butchery

Orc Boar Boys x6
Full Command
War Banner

Orc Boar Boys x6
Full Command

Giant

Total is 2218 out of 2250

It seems short on models for an Orc army to me. I'm open to most suggestions however the Wyvern defiantly stays. Though personally I'd trade out the giant for another unit of boar boys or a second chariot this list is for my son and he is very stuck on it. It also seems plausible that the Giant could make it to combat without dieing since there are other things to shoot at so in that aspect it warrants testing.

Any Thoughts?

Crube
16-08-2007, 15:07
To me the Giant is the one thing in your army that goes against the whole feel... but certainly worth a try

If you're set on keeping the Wyvern and Giant, and you're concerned about numbers, I'm not sure where more boyz are going to come from.

I'd look at increasing your Wolfboys to units of 10, as they do have a tendancy to die quite quickly. Infact, I'd sooner have a unit of 12 than 2 of 6

i'd be looking at swapping Giant out, for more chariots, maybe a couple of Pump Wagons (always fun:D) and/or more Boar Boys.

I know from the point of view of fighting against them with my Wood Elves, I'd be more scared of 3 or 4 chairots coming at me. The other units, while not too bad, are small enough for me to picka nd choose my targets. Artillery will have a field day against small units, and chariots and Giants still die easily enough to a cannonball or bolt thrower...

It seems you're relyng a lot on your General. Yes he looks quite nasty, but He hcan only do so much. Personally, I'd either run with the General OR the Giant, not both - there's an awful lot of points tied up there...

ANyway, could be fun trying it out :)

Tuch
16-08-2007, 15:16
Yeah, 2nd chariot and some pump wagons would definitely be better than the Giant. Maybe with the Wyvern he'd be more open to swapping it out. It's not that he has refused to remove him in this list only that it is in all of his others and he's never keen on the idea of removing it, and since I am his primary opponent and play Slaanesh he rarely suffers from the problem of it being dead on turn two.

I like the idea of units of 10 on the mounted goblins though I have never tried it. Does it hamper their mobility much to do so ?

Avian
16-08-2007, 15:19
The Iron Gnashas are essentially worthless on a guy that is already S6, so I'd take the Kickin' Boots instead. The rider doesn't really need to be a Black Orc, as you are paying a lot for very little benefit (+1 WS and the option of heavy armour).

I don't think you really need a Boss or a magic banner on the Savages (the Boss is certainly a waste of points). I would not recommend placing the Shaman in the unit (or, indeed, taking a mounted Savage Shaman at all).

I have gotten a lot more fond of Giants recently (my current list has two of them plus a Wyvern) and I would personally not drop him for more Boar Boyz (if anything, I would consider dropping the third Boar Boy unit for two Boar Chariots).

Crube
16-08-2007, 15:28
I defer to Avian in terms of the Boar Chariots :D

As for the units of 10 Wolfboys, their movement is really not hamperer in the slightest. You actually have a narrower frontage (5 as opposed to 6) allowing you to get through some slightly smaller gaps and you still get to move and manoeuvre the same.

You get a bit more survivability. 1 unit of 10 can lose more troops and still be effective. You can lose 3 models before a break test. I know that technically you have to lose 4 models from 2 units of 6 to get them both to break, but that's another Ld test to take - Ld tests are not your friend with lone wolfboys :)If you lose 3 models, you're still fighting with 5 on the front rank, whereas you lose 2 from a smaller unit, and you're down to 4...

If you manage to get into combat unscathed, you also get a rank, and you stand a chance of outnumbereing smaller units you're fighting.

Tuch
16-08-2007, 15:45
Updated List

General
Orc Warboss
Wyvern
Light Armor
Akrit Axe
Enchanted Shield
Best Big Boss 'At
Kickin Boots

BSB
Black Orc Big Boss
Chariot
Heavy Armor
Porko's Pigstikka
Battle Standard

Shaman
Goblin Shaman
Wolf Chariot
Dispel Scroll x 2

Core
Wolf Rider x10
Musician
Standard Bearer
Spear

2x Spider Riders x10
Musician
Standard Bearer

Special
Savage Orc Boar Boys Big'Uns x6
Musician, Standard Bearer
Spear
Shield

Orc Boar Boys x6
Full Command
War Banner

2x Orc Boar Chariot

Rare
2x Giant

New total is 2250 out of 2250

Avian
16-08-2007, 16:28
There is essentially nothing a unit of 10 fast cavalry can do that a unit of 5 cannot do just as well and for half the cost. Two units of 5 are more than twice as good as a single unit of 10, and for the same cost.

Link to article: Goblin Fast Cavalry (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/tactics/goblin_fast_cavalry.php)

Crube is of course right when he says that Ld tests are not your friend with gobbos, which you want as many units as possible, because a) the enemy unit cannot get rid of all of them with just a single Ld test, b) the chance of all of them squabbling goes drastically down.

Example: A big, nasty unit of Chaos Knights are coming your way and you need to divert them with your Wolf Riders. With a single unit of 10, the chance of it squabbling and ruining your plans are 1/6. With two units of 5, the chance of both squabbling is 1/36.

Two units of 5 are more resistant to damage than a single unit of 10 and are easier to hide than a single big unit. The only actual advantage of a bigger unit is that it is more difficult to completely wipe out a unit, but that is of limited importance, especially in a mixed army.

Tuch
16-08-2007, 17:14
Yeah, the more I looked over it the less I liked the 10 strong fast cavalry units. I'll be splitting them back down to units of 5 or 6. Not so much from a tactile standpoint as much as it gives me even less units than I already had.

I thank the both of you for your help, now I just have to fit in time for a test run. I have a bad feeling my Slaanesh general isn't going to be happy with these Orcs. :eek: