PDA

View Full Version : Dwarves against woodelves: Any tips?

Lloardinen
16-08-2007, 16:36
I'm soon fighting a battle against my brothers newly bought woodelves.
My choice of army came naturally: Dwarves! Though I did not think that I ever would face woodelves...

To me it seems that woodelves is everything that a dwarf could ever fear:
- Fast movement
- Skirmishers (oh noes my thunderers)
- Nice shooting (I shiver by the mere though of bs 5/6 AND the killingblows within short range)
- Melee who can put up quite a good fight
- Melee who can do devastating damage! (wardancers i.e.)
- Cavalry (although light can still take care of my slowmoving dwarves! Pluss: THEY SHOOT!)

Well, as you might see I think this will be a hopeless fight. My warmachines might do some good, and my gyrocopter too, but thats not enough!
We will prolly be fighting 500 or 1000 pts.

Please post your suggestions! List up some reasons too:evilgrin:

My dwarf army contains roughly: 20 warriors, 20 thunderers, 15 miners, 2 cannons, 1 grudge thrower, 1 gyrocopter, 10 ironbreakers, 1 runesmith, 2 thanes. And Joseph Bugman (can use nornal warriors as rangers)

Thanks

Taro
16-08-2007, 17:15
Well, not that I am an expert or anything.. What do u think the WE will bring ?

If we are talking treekin or treeman, get flaming ;) removes both ward and causes *2 wounds.

Taro

Lloardinen
16-08-2007, 17:22
He will prolly be using some dryads bot thats that...Otherwise he will use loads of glade guards and some cavalry. Also, he will use some magic and a noble. Prolly some wardancers and/or waywatchers...But I'm not really sure...But not much trees at least

Toschenko
16-08-2007, 18:38
There are a few units you could use:

Gyrocopter: T5 , 3 wounds and a save throw of 4+ should be more than enough to deal with the strenght 3 of the elven weapons. plus you have the S3 template to catch skirmishers

Flame Cannon: wounds elves on 2+, dryads on 3+ and instantly kills both. Just be sure to take a master engineer in order to entrench it, or it will be an arrow magnet... also it has a very short range so a glade guard heavy list will simply avoid it: to be used only if you know that you'll face dryads or treemen

Organ Gun: good to deal with skirmishers and devastating against cavalry, but it needs the protection of entrenchment, as a flame cannon

Quarrelers: better than thunderers, because they can hit the elves at long range. thunderers are quite unplayable against WE in my opinion, especially at low points battles...

Miners: they can be potentially devastating, hitting your opponent in the rear, but without an anvil the elves will tear them to pieces as they show up...

I suggest the use of Ironbreakers and warriors, together with a runic standard
with the MR of Grungni (the ironbreakers can take it)

In bigger battles there's always the Anvil, maybe even Thorek's one....

Lloardinen
16-08-2007, 20:22
Thanks that helped some!
Though I dont have a flame cannon or an organ gun er even some quarrelers:mad: Although the IB's I have:).
Feel free to comment further! Could still use some guidance:(

Crube
16-08-2007, 20:44
I play Wood Elves and had real trouble against Dwarfs at a recent tourney.

1. Ditch the Gyrocopter.
2. Deploy everyting as close to each other as you can. Elves have no template weapons to speak of (unless he brings a dragon...) and this way you eliminate the Woodies main strength - outflanking.
3. Try and deploy in a corner, in an arc, again minimising your flanks
4. Don't get suckered into coming out too far. Make the Woodies come to you, then stick them wth crossbow bolts, spears, or axes
5. Woodies are fragile, dwarfs are solid - exploit this.
6. Miners - will be exposed, and the Woodies will be able to pick them off if they come on behind them. If you have them, deploy them with the rest of your army in a nice huddle

Hope this is of some help

Eldem
16-08-2007, 21:37
wood elfs and dwarfs are a little hit or miss for both sides. The key from a dwarf perspective is to make the wood elfs come to you. Ironbreakers are great and can survive just about anything a wood elf player can through at em. Also thunders are a little useless, the 24 inch range means they will be dead before they get to shoot anything.

Putty
17-08-2007, 02:09
pfftt... u need tips to beat woodelves?

dwarves beat woodelves 8/10 times

just bring a few warmachines (cannon and organ gun will do nicely), kit out ur hammers, warriors and longbeards with shields and just keep shooting at them till they reach your lines.

two units of thunderers or quarrellers is also good.

btw, you don't need any gyrocopter against woodelves.

i have dwarves. until today i can't beat them with me woodelves.

Malorian
17-08-2007, 02:34
Quarrellers would eb best, but you don't have any... so take the thunderer and hope he won't be sneaky and keep moving just out of range.

The best thing you can do is out-shoot him because once you get close enough they'll rip you up with those str 4 bows and you aren't fast enough to close the gap in time.

Basically go buy some quarrellers : )

Lloardinen
17-08-2007, 06:27
Thanks for all the answers! Now I have a pretty good idea what to use.
Seems it wasnt that hopless after all (although with my dicerolling I may still be in a bit of trouble:))

Will get together an army and post it as soon as I can!

Lloardinen
17-08-2007, 07:02
Here's my amry for now: (dont say that I need flame cannon, organ gun or quarrelers, I dont have any...yet:evilgrin:)

Heroes

Thane
- MR of gromril
- Rune of perservation

Runesmith (for that extra dice)
- shield

Core

10 warriors
-shields

19 longbeards
-full command
-shield
-MR of grungi

Special

10 ironbreakers

1 cannon
- MR of defence
- Rune of reloading

1 cannon
- MR of disguise
- Rune of reloading

All thogether this is exactly 1000 pts. Feel free to propose changes:)

forthegloryofkazadekrund
17-08-2007, 08:25
change the thane into an engineer with a handgun so one of your warmachines can be put in hard cover -2 to hit and he can also shoot well, with that cannon in cover you can get rid of the m r o defence

one of the characters i would say should have master rune of swiftness, so he can strike first adding the one which gives him +1 to hit or the one which give you +1 to st

SkawtheFalconer
17-08-2007, 09:35
If I were you, I would definitely consider a bolt thrower with rune of burning or whatever its called on it. Maybe even stick an accuracy rune on there, and if he's taking a treeman it WILL be dead in 2 turns.

Crube
17-08-2007, 09:53
Engineer is a good idea, but the Bolt Thrower is a bit pointless if you ask me. The 2 other WM's will esily make mincemeat of a treeman, rather than a BT.

And I wouldnt bother with the Rune of Swiftness - You should be tough enough to weather the 1st round of attacks (unless you get charged by Wardancers perhaps) and I'd rather use the points to get a more hitty rune...

Other than that, I'd not like to be fighting against that list ;)

Toschenko
17-08-2007, 11:44
Given what units you have, this is the best list you can put together, and I think it can work.

I agree with forthegloryofkazadekrund (and with my earlier post :cool:) that an engineer instead of the thane might be a better choice. if you guess that your opponent's army will not include more than one mage you can also change the engineer with the runesmith, leaving the thane... four or five dispel dice won't make a big difference

Lord Malorne
17-08-2007, 12:00
one question...what are you gonna use the 10 man warrior unt for!

Lloardinen
17-08-2007, 12:29
Ok I will consider changing the Runesmith for an engineer.
My thane stays, but you might have a point about the runes...
Although the MR of swiftness is a waste!

The warriors is there because I need them to be able to use my 19 longbeards. Cant have more units of longbeards than warriors.

Making the new list now...Posting it soon.

Crube
17-08-2007, 13:10
Actually, looking again, I'd reconsider the Rune of Disguise on your Cannon.

Unles syou are positioning it out of the rest of your army, it should be in behind the rest of your troops. If y ou do leave it in the open (albeit disguised) after it's revealed, it's just an easy 100+ VPs to you ropponent.

I'd use the points on something else personally

Lloardinen
17-08-2007, 13:17
Here it goes:

Heroes

Thane
- Rune of cleaving (1 str)
- Rune of fury (1 atk)
- Rune of Snorri Spangelhelm (1 to hit)

Master Engineer
- Handgun

Core

10 warriors
- shields

19 longbeards
- champion, standard bearer
- shields
- MR of grungi

Special

10 ironbreakers
- full command

1 cannon
- Rune of forging
- Rune of reloading
- Master Enginerr here

1 cannon
- Entrenched (hard cover etc.)
- Rune of reloading

All together once again 1000 pts exactly:D

Still open for changes though

Crube
17-08-2007, 13:28
As I said - I wouldnt really be wanting to face that with my Woodies :D

Try and cover your flanks (anchor them against a table edge), avoid deploying anywhere near a wood, and believe in your dice and you should be good to go :D

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

(I can't believe I'm trying to help a dwarf general beat Wood Elves - shocking behaviour ;))

Lloardinen
17-08-2007, 14:06
He he thanks for the help. I'll let you know as soon as I've crushed him;)
And bout you helping me....I'm going to buy woodies to my brother in bithday present...Selfdestructive or what:D?

Just hope my luck with my warmachines improves...Last two games my Grudgethrower was destoyed first turn without doing anything at all:mad:

Wish me luck!