PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings - Decent or dust in the wind?

Great Harlequin
16-08-2007, 16:58
Hey,

Completely new to the Fantasy scene, I have little to no knowledge of how Fantasy works, and so help is desperately needed, as I want this list to be competitive enough to cope in a tournament setting!

Here's the list for you to choke over how many errors there are! ;)

Lords and Heroes

Tomb King - Flail of Skulls, Light Armour, Shield of Ptra, Chariot of Fire - 258

Tomb Prince - Great Weapon, Light Armour - 106

Heirophant - Jar of tricks, Cloak of Dunes - 160

Liche Priest - Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll - 165

Core

12 Archers - 96

3 Chariots - Standard, Banner of the Eternal Legion - 185

19 Skeletons - Champion, Musician, Standard, Hand Weapons, Shields - 196

Lonely Tomb Swarm - 45

Special

3 Carrion - 72

3 Ushabti - 195

Scorpion - 85

20 Tomb Guard - Standard, Champion, Musician, Standard of Rakaph - 316

Rare

Screamy Catapult - Skulls of the Foe - 110

Total - 1995

So, will this just fall to pieces or is it a good basis for a competitive list? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I'm really looking forward to having a couple of games of Fantasy, and I don't want to be put off by playing an army which simply can't win, regardless! :D

All the very bestest,

Zoolander
16-08-2007, 23:33
Your list is a good start. I'd make some minor changes, though.

First, get rid of the Shield of Ptra. It's worthless. If anything, give him the Enchanted Shield or Vambraces of the Sun. Remember that flails are two-handed weapons, so he can only use it while he's out of combat (vs. missiles, basically). So you may want to reconsider getting him a magic shield and just get a mundane one to save points.

Second, in a 2000pt game, I wouldn't field a TP. You need the magic support. I would take another LP instead.

Get rid of the lonely Swarm. It will die immediately to combat results.

Undead don't need musicians at ALL. Don't take them.

Other than that, it looks solid.

forgottenlor
17-08-2007, 07:16
With Zoolander I agree and disagree.
First he is completely correct about the Shield of Ptra.
I have had success in 2000 points with a tomb prince and tomb king. Ok, so its popular wisdom to go 3 priests at 2000, because you have more magic, which makes sense. But the prince can be very effective if used correctly. First he can give a unit if skeletons a chance in melee, or make a unit of tomb guard very nasty in melee. I use him so: I put a unit of skeletons with shield and sword or tomb guard next to my catapult or archers. I put the tomb king into my archers or catapult and use his dice every round to attempt to shoot twice, until my opponent closes in, then I move him into the melee unit. I have had alot of success with this, though I would not say it is better or worse than with using 3 priests, it simply gives your army a different quality. Of course you could always just leave him in the tomb guard as well and have them march about the board.
I have had success also with a lonely swarm, but only against war machine crews. The swarm usually can take down about one war machine before disintegrating. With 2 swarms you are much more likely to prove a more lasting menace and to win combat without losing wounds. Of course, should your swarm not show up, you will be much less frustrated at having lost only 45 points,
I agree about the musicians. Its a waste of points.
Did you spend the points for a chariot for your king? You have to pay the 45 in addition to the 25 for the chariot of fire.

Great Harlequin
17-08-2007, 11:11
First, get rid of the Shield of Ptra. It's worthless. If anything, give him the Enchanted Shield or Vambraces of the Sun. Remember that flails are two-handed weapons, so he can only use it while he's out of combat (vs. missiles, basically). So you may want to reconsider getting him a magic shield and just get a mundane one to save points.
Agreed, on thinking about it, it is a piece of junk really. I'll just grab a normal shield and see what else I can get for the rest of my army.

Second, in a 2000pt game, I wouldn't field a TP. You need the magic support. I would take another LP instead.
I've been told as much, and I think this'll end up being the big change, after playtesting, but I'd quite like to see if I can cope with a Tomb Prince to start off with. I'd quite like the combat punch in my Skellie squad so everything's a slight threat, rather than having a 20 man squad of cannon-fodder.

I have had success also with a lonely swarm, but only against war machine crews. The swarm usually can take down about one war machine before disintegrating. With 2 swarms you are much more likely to prove a more lasting menace and to win combat without losing wounds. Of course, should your swarm not show up, you will be much less frustrated at having lost only 45 points,
I was thinking mainly of attacking war machine crews and wizards if I could, and hope for the best. A trade off of 45 points to stop a warmachine firing seems a good trade to me, but again I'll need some playtesting!

I agree about the musicians. Its a waste of points.

Did you spend the points for a chariot for your king? You have to pay the 45 in addition to the 25 for the chariot of fire.
Ah, yes, didn't spot that, cheers - thought it was a wee bit of a bargain!

And I'll drop the musicians... so with a rejig...
(I can always drop the Tomb Swarm and/or rejig the King to find points for another Heirophant.)

Lords and Heroes

Tomb King - Flail of Skulls, Light Armour, Shield, Chariot of Fire - 269

Tomb Prince - Great Weapon, Light Armour - 106

Heirophant - Jar of tricks, Cloak of Dunes - 160

Liche Priest - Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll - 165

Core

12 Archers - 96

3 Chariots - Standard, Banner of the Eternal Legion - 185

19 Skeletons - Champion, Musician, Standard, Hand Weapons, Shields - 191

Lonely Tomb Swarm - 45

Special

3 Carrion - 72

3 Ushabti - 195

Scorpion - 85

20 Tomb Guard - Standard, Champion, Musician, Standard of Rakaph - 310

Rare

Screamy Catapult - Skulls of the Foe - 110

Total - 1989

11 points left over - any ideas?

greendan
17-08-2007, 11:44
your list looks on its way to working.

may i suggest a list which is practically the same as what youve posted but with a few twists?

liche high priest 290pts
+cloak of the dunes
hieratic jar

tomb prince 108pts
+great weapon, hand weapon, light armour & shield

tomb prince 153pts
+great weapon, hand weapon, light armour & shield
chariot

liche priest 140pts
+dispel scroll

skeleton archers (20) 160pts
skeleton archers (20) 160pts

tomb swarms (2) 90pts

tomb guard (20) 292pts
+standard bearer
icon of rakaph

ushabti (3) 195pts
carrion (3) 72pts

chariots (4) 160pts

screaming skull catapult 90pts
screaming skull catapult 90pts

obviously you have a high priest instead of a king but you still get two fighting characters.
also a priest is much better at casting giving you a chance to get off an incantation when necessary.
2 big blocks of archers works well for me, lined up 20 wide infront of your army and uses smiting with them they can lay down an impressive amount of firepower.
reform them when the enemy gets too close and you have a block of 20 skellies who wont kill much but will hold something.
also couple that with two catapults and voila.
youve lost a tomb scorpion but the swarms are there for that exact same purpose to take out war machines or single characters.
the carrion can march block to allow you more shooting or war machine kill.
chariots, tomb guard and ushabti for counter attacking.
hope that helps in someway, i know i lost most of my first games with tomb kings but you start to see their strong points and play on them.
also i usually take 2 units of 3 chariots but in a high priest list it means youre sacrificing yet another special choice.
:chrome:

Zoolander
17-08-2007, 15:30
Great weapons in chariots or while mounted is a waste, as you only get +1 ST. A better weapon is a flail.

I still think a lone swarm is worthless. Remember, TK have the worse swarms in the game. A swarm's purpose is to hold up a unit for many turns. Sadly, our swarms are undead so when we start to lose combat, we take extra wounds, totally defeated the purpose. It can take on war machine crew, but you will be -1 due to outnumber from the get go. If those three crew roll better than you, you will lose that swarm fast. I would strongly recommend bumping it to two, or justy using the Scorpion (which is cheaper than 2 swarms anyway). Save the 45 pts - the scorpion should do fine, you won't need the swarm.

A TP can be useful, and I've often used him to make a unit of skellies a real danger. You won't go wrong with him. But after a few battles, I think you will see that having the priest around is invariably better. The TP is just so limited in his use, and a unit of skellies is a real danger if used in conjunction with another unit (heavy cav, ushapti, etc.). Actually, with the unit strength, a banner, and 3 ranks, that unit can handle a lot. Remember, block units are the strongest unit types in the game - even stronger than knights (except for Bret knights who gain rank bonuses and 20 attacks). An unbreakable block of troops is very scary, especially if given a magic banner - war banner? You could give the skellies the Banner of the Undying Legion and give your chariots and general the Banner of Kopesh, +1 to hit first round, including steeds. With a priest behind them and that banner, the skellies can hold anything for a round or two.

Anyway, have fun and experiment with it and see what you like.