PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Army at 500 points or less?

King Thurgun
17-08-2007, 14:34
Going off Netrom83's thread about his upcoming rough battle against a low-point vampire army, what do you all think is the nastiest army in low points games? I've seen a lot of armies that are usually fairly balanced/actually struggle in higher point games be horrifically effective in the 500 bracket.

In my local gaming club's escalation league a few years back, i played bretonnians, and for the 500 point games i brought 2 units of knights and a unit of peasant archers. These were my first battles with fantasy and so i wasn't sure whether i was going to get smacked around or not, as i thought i would be horribly outnumbered.

Well it turned out that i got a massacre against 15 opponents, and a draw against a southlands lizardman player, who had an all skink poison dart army. We danced around each other for 6 turns, and by the end, he had killed 2 knights with darts (hooray legendary armor save rolling), and i had killed about 6 skinks with lucky bowmen shots. Fairly ridiculous :D

So, i've seen a couple armies in particular that are really nasty in 500 pt.s, but who's truly the hardest? Here's the list of the top contenders (IMO):

Bretonnians- Bringing lances to a knife fight
Vampire Counts- 500 pts? Now i have 2000!
Lizardmen- Aforementioned dancing skink army
Hordes of Chaos- Chosen Chaos Knights of Khorne, 10 Marauders with no upgrades, and the cheapest lord you can fit in there
High Elves/Dark Elves- RBT nuff said
Empire- Outriders nuff said

Who is the nastiest? Go ye dogs of the forums and speculate!

TSOL
17-08-2007, 17:56
i like playin skaven in low pt games, straight horde style. slaves make great cannon fodder and allow for plenty o guys even at 500 pts

winter has ended
17-08-2007, 18:01
id have to say a goblin horde beacuse you can have so many of them, and you can put some fanatics in there just to help out

Master Vampire
17-08-2007, 18:26
Are you serious?

General: Level 2 Necromancer, Cloak of Mist and Shadows 145
Level 2 Necromancer, Book of Arkhan 125
Level 2 Necromancer 100

2 x 10 Zombies, both with Musician 130

Drop all Necro's in one zombie unit, drop that unit behind the other 10.

You'll never win, except when all Necro's miscast.

id have to say a goblin horde beacuse you can have so many of them, and you can put some fanatics in there just to help out

Yeah, have as many as you want. But know that you'll be facing a 2000 point army at the end of turn 6 with this one.

King Thurgun: Nethrom's lucky that his enemy didn't bring 3 Necromancers... that would be a nightmare vs High Elves.

The only army that is potentially dangerous of your list is the Skink army.

winter has ended
17-08-2007, 18:33
not really, 3 goblin shamans, sneaky staff and staff of sorcery, you wont get any spells of at all

Xavier
17-08-2007, 18:51
Skaven or Wood Elves in my opinion.

huitzilopochtli
17-08-2007, 19:46
i like the lizardmen skink list but with the addition of a unit of kroxigors to break down heavily armoured knights. powerful and balanced.

going for an incredibly powerful but cheesy army three necromancers in VCs cant be beaten.

N1AK
18-08-2007, 07:05
Yeah the 3 Necro list is definitely the best/nastiest 500 point option. Yes you can write lists to defeat it, but they all involve putting huge amounts of points into anti-magic, so those armies would lose vs anything else.

the varks
19-08-2007, 02:18
wood elves. only because of the hail of doom arrow.

marco

Rhamag
19-08-2007, 02:49
Tomb Kings!

Oh no, wait...

bluebugs
19-08-2007, 02:55
the title does say "or less" and I'll have you know my lizardmen warband killed everyone, so much it was no fun to play anymore. 1 lv2 skink priest, 1 kroxigor, the rest ; skinks with pipes!

StormCrow
19-08-2007, 03:25
I'd have to go with the necromancer list as well, it's a nightmare unless you know you're facing it. But on the plus side they probably won't be killing anyone, just making them run and scatter....not so bad!

Urgat
20-08-2007, 13:07
Yeah the 3 Necro list is definitely the best/nastiest 500 point option. Yes you can write lists to defeat it, but they all involve putting huge amounts of points into anti-magic, so those armies would lose vs anything else.

Well, the heavy dispell goblin army is fairly cheap as well, doesn't need fanatics at all, can already get nasty things like charriots or balistas (squish the necros), and would be very efficient, I'd bet on them.
Worst one? Well since they're my current experiment pets, I say ogres. Too godamn expensive, you'll get nothing good out of them under 500 points.

Ward.
20-08-2007, 13:50
6 skinks is 30 points, two knights is 40 minimum, you lost...

the lv2 skink priest, kroxigor and blowpipers is certainly dangerous.
You don't even really need that though, the use of 4 units of ten blowpipe skinks
(240 points) is 80 poisoned shots, that can remove whole units at once.

Master Vampire
20-08-2007, 16:14
wood elves. only because of the hail of doom arrow.

It's one use only though.

What does Staff of Sorcery and Sneaky Staff do?

Mazdug
20-08-2007, 17:20
Are we talking about 500 point warbands, as listed in the warbands rules on the website/WD? Or 500 pts no restrictions. Because with the warbands rules, the 3 necro army isn't legal. I've played a couple of pretty large warbands campaigns (12 armies, everyone has to play everyone else, plus all 4 megabattles), and I came out in the top both times, once using a very compact force of 2 units of slaaneshi knights, an exalted champion of slaanesh, and a small unit of mounted daemonettes, and the other time using a cult of slaanesh list that was almost entirely made up of shades with the mark of slaanesh and devoted of slaanesh, as well as a few dark riders. The chaos warband only failed to massacre one opponent in the entire league, the cult of slaanesh one was much more hit or miss, since it was far more reliant on terrain, and didn't fare so well against some of the very shooty wood elf and dwarf armies it encountered.

winter has ended
20-08-2007, 18:19
What does Staff of Sorcery and Sneaky Staff do?

well sneaky staff take one of their power dice and make it my dispel dice and the staff of sorcery is plus one to dispell, so work rather well

Zoolander
20-08-2007, 22:40
Wood Elves are the best army bar none at that level. Tomb Kings are the worst.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
21-08-2007, 10:55
Skaven, the sheer amount of rats and slaves will just overwhelm you to dust.

otherwise, orcs. Quite high in numbers but powerful in combat. And if they win the combat, they've probably won the game.

N1AK
21-08-2007, 10:58
Well, the heavy dispell goblin army is fairly cheap as well, doesn't need fanatics at all, can already get nasty things like charriots or balistas (squish the necros), and would be very efficient, I'd bet on them.

I've not got my book on me but I'm pretty certain 3 Gobbo shamans + stealin + sorcery and a couple of dispel scrolls is going to cost you what ~225-250 points? Basically making an army that is useless against Dwarves / Bretonnians / Empire / Khorne / Wood Elves / none magic Orcs + practically any other none magic list.
You could drop to 2 shamans and no scrolls for around 150 points (still wasted points against non-magic armies). But then your relying on 5 disp (inc stealin) to block 8 power dice and 2 bound items, he should be able to get invocation and Danse off at least once a turn (at worst).

Yes (as I said) you can beat 3 lvl 2 Necros at 500 points, but you can't do it with a list that will win against practically anything else.

Alathir
21-08-2007, 13:59
I think Bretonnians can be pretty deadly at low points, I'm always surprised at just how many knights I can actually field.

lector#1
21-08-2007, 18:18
id have to say goblins even though i hate them at 500 points they can get the most models in i versed them with dark elves at 500 points and got annihalted

where as my dark elves demolished a chaos army at 500points funniest game i ever saw/played!

Bazzal
21-08-2007, 19:57
i like southlands lizzies at 500pts, priest and chief, 22 skink bows, and 3 terradons, its done well in the past. mostly because the skink can move n shoot wit posin and after a few turns the enemy has been witled down