PDA

View Full Version : Flyers and Forests?

Runt Nosher
25-08-2005, 13:02
Just a couple of real quick questions really. My buddy uses terradons in pretty much every game they charge into a forest and overrun... can this all be done at Movement 20? I figured when in combat in the forest flyers had to land at least so they would only be movement 2... can they even charge into a forest because I know Large Target flyers can't.... I guess I just need some clarification and I don't have a 6th ed BRB.

Avian
25-08-2005, 13:04
Page 106, right column, second paragraph, third sentence.

Flyers may not move, land in or take off from within a wood. If flyers wish to enter a wood, they must land outside and walk inside using their ground movement in their next turn.

Crube
25-08-2005, 13:05
If a flyer wishes to enter a forest, it must do so using its ground movement rate ie 1 or 2"

Festus
25-08-2005, 13:24
Hi

If a flyer wishes to enter a forest, it must do so using its ground movement rate ie 1 or 2"
Quite a few flyers are much faster than this on the ground.
Only bats and birds are this slow.

Ever seen Pegasi coming through Woods? they are skirmishers!
Many LTs have a Ground move of 6" still.

Greetings
FEstus

Yanos
25-08-2005, 13:42
Slightly awkward without knowing the specifics of that charge. Are we talking the Terradons charging at a unit they can see 2" into the wood, from up to 20" away? If so then Avian has it right there: it can't be done unless they're right on the edge of the woods, and they then get their 2" or 4" charge move across the ground depending on what their M stat is.

If your friend is trying to pull off a Terradon charge from 20" away into a wood, tell him NO! HEEL! PLAY DEAD! :D The best he can do is fly them to the edge of the wood, then charge in the next turn (assuming the target is still there!!)

Once they're in there, they'll have a 2D6" overrun (if by some miracle they wipe out the opponent!!), as their movement is only 1" or 2" while they're in the wood.

Sylass
25-08-2005, 14:31
[...] Ever seen Pegasi coming through Woods? they are skirmishers! [...]
Luckily they are not as fast as some bret. players seems to think. ;)

Q: Can a unit of Pegasus Knights move at double pace through difficult terrain using their ground movement, as they are skirmishers?
A: Oops. Although by the rules this would be the case, this was not what was intended. So, in this case, treat Pegasus Knights that are using their ground movement as skirmishes except that their movement is halved when moving through difficult terrain. Note this only applies to Flying Cavalry.

samw
25-08-2005, 22:21
Yeah, I hate that amendment. Still, 8" through woods is a damn site better than most people get!

Runt Nosher
26-08-2005, 01:26
Ok, that makes probably 3 of our last 5 games pretty void. When I used my Dark Elves, he'd charge into the woods at my Shades. When I used my ogres he'd do it to my Yhetees. I knew there was something absolutely wrong with this picture but he would pretty much either beat those units on impact or they would flee and he would chase them down with 4D6 thru the forest, thus in a position or combat I probably didn't want him to be in by my 2nd turn :eyebrows: .

WhiteStar
26-08-2005, 07:14
Do Terradons pursue 4d6? I don't play Lizardmen, but this seems like quite alot...

Yanos
26-08-2005, 08:23
Not only that, but: Terradons wiping out/Breaking Yhetees?? :eek: I thought they were a tad harder than that :confused: ....

Griefbringer
26-08-2005, 08:56
can they even charge into a forest because I know Large Target flyers can't....

Notice that being a large target or not does not make a difference on this either - flyers just cannot fly in forest, however small they are.

T10
26-08-2005, 09:57
Luckily they are not as fast as some bret. players seems to think. ;)
(QA quote not included)

So by GW's admission, they *do* count as skirmishers, but not *really*.

Gah!

-T10

Griefbringer
26-08-2005, 11:30
Well, that Q&A about Bretonnians managed to touch also a number of other interesting issues - and let's not get to the killing blow vs. pegasus knights issue.