PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Tomb King list

huitzilopochtli
17-08-2007, 21:15
ok... so i need this list to beat a vampire list, usually lead by a count, (blood dragon) a thrall and 2 necros, going heavy on magic.

here's what i've thought up...

CHARACTERS
Tomb King; chariot, light armour, flail of skulls, collar of shapesh, brooch of the desert.

Liche Priest; mounted, 2 dispell scrolls

Liche Priest; (hierophant) cloak of the dunes, dispell scroll

Icon bearer; light armour, banner of the undying legion

CORE
3 chariots with standard bearer; standard of the sacred eye

25 skeleton warriors with hand weapon, shields and light armour; standard of the cursing word

5 heavy horsemen with standard bearer and champion; warbanner

SPECIAL
3 Ushabti

Tomb Scorpion

3 Carrion

20 Tomb Guard; standard bearer and champion; icon of rakaph

TOTAL 1999

can anyone suggest improvements? i'm trying to leave shooting out of the list as it has little effect when my opponent can raise back anything i can kill.

Zoolander
17-08-2007, 22:10
Here are some suggests, having both a VC and a TK army (among others).

First, realize that he's not going heavy on magic being a blood dragon. If we was, he'd have 3 necros and a nekrarch. All that means is that you'll have plenty of spells get off. Plan for that to help you. That being said, see if you can get a Crown of Kings. Against the vampire, that flail will be good, but see if you can get the vambraces of the sun over the brooch. With another liche priest, you won't need the brooch (see below).

I would drop the Icon bearer. He's not worth the points. He looks really cool on paper, but another priest will be vastly more valuable.

Bump the chariots up to 4 if you can. Especially with the collar you'll want more around. Good banner choice, though.

Skellies don't need a magic banner - save your points. If you must, give them a war banner or the undying legion.

Don't field less than 10 heavy horsemen. They are fairly weak, and that +1 rank bonus is handy. War banner is a good choice for them, though.

I would dump the carrion perhaps in favor of a second scorpion. He has no war machines anyway.

Get a casket of souls if you can. It will allow you to get more magic at the very least. Also, he may field some etheral units, and only magic can harm them.

Don't assume you don't want a shooty list. He can really only raise skellies with his necromancy. YOUR magic can raise anything. ;-) A SSC won't cause any panic, but will destroy black knights or a black coach for example. It's also considered magical, so it can affect etheral creatures as well. Just some thoughts for you to chew on.

I don't see you making many of the common mistakes in TK lists, though. Looks like a good list so far.

huitzilopochtli
18-08-2007, 00:12
thanks for the advice, just a couple of things i want to note...

Here are some suggests, having both a VC and a TK army (among others).

First, realize that he's not going heavy on magic being a blood dragon. If we was, he'd have 3 necros and a nekrarch. All that means is that you'll have plenty of spells get off. Plan for that to help you. That being said, see if you can get a Crown of Kings. Against the vampire, that flail will be good, but see if you can get the vambraces of the sun over the brooch. With another liche priest, you won't need the brooch (see below).

i'm afraid that this is not true, as his magic even as a blood dragon far outweighs mine. his last list had a count (2 power dice) 2 necromancers level two (4 more) the black peripet (1 more every turn as TKs generate 2 unused power dice) the book of arkhon and a power familiar. so each turn he got one or two spells off, plus the book and a staff that makes everyone attack first for him. even with my liche high priest (which i had taken) i didnt stand a chance.

I would drop the Icon bearer. He's not worth the points. He looks really cool on paper, but another priest will be vastly more valuable.

ok, was just going to experiment here but it sounds like good advice

Bump the chariots up to 4 if you can. Especially with the collar you'll want more around. Good banner choice, though.

my TK is going to join this unit, 4 is the max i can get into combat at once, the fifth would just be wasted.

Skellies don't need a magic banner - save your points. If you must, give them a war banner or the undying legion.

ok :)

Don't field less than 10 heavy horsemen. They are fairly weak, and that +1 rank bonus is handy. War banner is a good choice for them, though.

i was going to use the horsemen as a backup for one of my infantry units, to charge the unit they were in combat with in the flank, giving me a +2 CR bonus for flank and warbanner. besides, i dont actually have ten models. :(

I would dump the carrion perhaps in favor of a second scorpion. He has no war machines anyway.

the carrion for me have made good necromancer killers, and i'm afraid i dont have a second tomb scorpion.

Get a casket of souls if you can. It will allow you to get more magic at the very least. Also, he may field some etheral units, and only magic can harm them.

i have a casket of souls but so far i've hardly ever managed to get it to cast. although it is a nice drain on his dispell dice. what about taking out the icon bearer and adding in the casket, rather than a third priest?

Don't assume you don't want a shooty list. He can really only raise skellies with his necromancy. YOUR magic can raise anything. ;-) A SSC won't cause any panic, but will destroy black knights or a black coach for example. It's also considered magical, so it can affect etheral creatures as well. Just some thoughts for you to chew on.

well i dont have an SSC yet but i'll be looking to get one. as for archers? they're utterly useless against these guys. the only things worth trying to kill have toughness 4 and an armour save of either 4+ or 2+. not good options.

I don't see you making many of the common mistakes in TK lists, though. Looks like a good list so far.

hehe, thanks. this isnt my first list. its my 6th or 7th to play with, and about the millionth i've drawn up. :)

anyways thanks again for the input, i'll try and put it to good use, and if i win i'll be sure to let you know