PDA

View Full Version : KoToR2

Wiseman
25-08-2005, 15:57
just started playing this, seems like a real good game, seems massive as well, what are others thoughts on it?

Arnizipal
25-08-2005, 16:03
Did you finish the first game? The second game is so much better if you did.

Wiseman
25-08-2005, 16:14
havent played the first game:(

Scythe
25-08-2005, 16:18
You should, really. You'll understand the talk about Malak and Revan a lot better if you play KotOR 1, and some of the characters from the first game return in the second one.

That said, I had the feeling that things are still unfinished after completing KotOR 2... as if they wanted to save some parts for KotOR 3, should it ever arrive.

warlordgrubnatz
25-08-2005, 16:31
KotOR1 is a great game
KotOR 2 is a superb game.

Snoozer
25-08-2005, 16:35
I have to say that play the 1st one before the 2nd one, and I think the 1st one is better (at least the story is a lot better).

:D

Wiseman
25-08-2005, 16:40
well i dont know how far through the second one i am (but i just met some jedi girl on a snowy area, and blew a planet up, people arent happy now and people are also dying.) to tired to remember anymore

CELS
25-08-2005, 17:22
I played KotOR2 before KotOR1, and I had no problems understanding anything. Then again, I am pretty smart. Actually, it was kind of like watching episode 4-6 before 1-3, as you get a lot of lightbulb-experiences when you later play the first game, and see what happens to Revan and Malak.
I was kind of curious why you could, in KotOR2, claim that Darth Revan was a woman, not a man, and vice versa. So when I played KotOR1, I was like "Ooooooooh..."

warlordgrubnatz
25-08-2005, 18:52
i played KotOR 1 a few days after it was released- and have completed it several times. I have completed KotOR 2 twice and didnt get till about a month after it was released, but i still think kotOR 2 is better- with the prestige classes and all.

Xisor
25-08-2005, 19:07
SOMEBODY SORT CELS POST!

Thats about as big a spoiler as there could ever be, ever!

Sort it quick!

/panic over

KOTOR2 ends in an unsatisfactory manner IMO, but still remains an excellent game. Love it. Not quite as good as KOTOR itself though.

Xisor

Harky
25-08-2005, 19:15
Liked KOTOR1 a little better, it also felt a little longer.

Antaeus
25-08-2005, 20:15
Indeed, KOTOR felt much longer than KOTOR II. Though in fairness, this will be helped by players having got the hang of the system, what powers and abilities they like and so on, so their characters will be more effective in the 2nd gamne - if that sentence makes any sense to anyone but me.

KOTOR II - the opening level isn't as good as KOTOR's, so that's something for you to look forward to in the first game. There's just very little interesting stuff to do in Peragus, I find, while Taris (KOTOR) there are more side-quests than you can shake a lightsabre at.

The ending as well, feels (and was) unfinished and rushed. However, it's still great fun and has a number of nifty little additions (my favourite is probably the ability to use your Lightsabre as a door-opener at long last, the biggest thing missing from the Jedi Knight series).

Star.Scream
25-08-2005, 23:32
>>>>Well, to start off I agree with Scythe, it isnt 100% nessasary to play KoToR1 first, but I highly suggest it, there is some vaulable story to be had that makes the second one more intresting

Secondly, I would also agree with Antaeus that Peragus isnt as much fun as Taris (although I dread Taris in a different way, oh word how I love it when I get to leave, and everything else that happns...there ;) )

I enjoyed some of the characters in the first KoToR more to be honest, some of the characters in the second just didnt have that appeal for me, although I did enjoy turnin Ashton (is that the right name) into a Dark Jedi, ah, fun fun.

CELS
25-08-2005, 23:44
SOMEBODY SORT CELS POST!
Thats about as big a spoiler as there could ever be, ever!
Sort it quick!
Heheh... erm... oops :o

Was just kidding about that, for those of you who haven't played the game. In reality, Darth Revan is actually your father, and you were seperated from him at birth! :eek:

New Cult King
26-08-2005, 03:45
I'm playing KotOR I at the moment, and it is devouring my soul. I've just left Dantooine and arrived at Tatooine, and am packing two red lightsabres :D

A friend of mine who completed the game keeps talking about this whole OMFG!!1! moment in the first game, and it's still ages away, and I keep trying to guess what it might be, and I keep guessing wrong :(

Can't wait to finish this one and get KotOR II, but I'm really enjoying the first game...

Goblinardo
26-08-2005, 06:49
Both games are good, though KOTOR 1 is better than its sequel.

By the way, if KOTOR 2 has taught me anything, it is that a gunslinger Jedi is the second pimpest thing in the univArse (the first one being Mace Windu, of course ;) )

Adept
26-08-2005, 06:56
KOTOR II - the opening level isn't as good as KOTOR's, so that's something for you to look forward to in the first game. There's just very little interesting stuff to do in Peragus, I find, while Taris (KOTOR) there are more side-quests than you can shake a lightsabre at.

If only it was just that bad. But you have to sit through Peragus, Citadel station, Telos' surface and then the polar acadamy after that. Compared to the Endar Spire and Taris levels of Kotor 1, it's a major pain. I saved a game at Dantooine straight after I got off Telos, so I never have to repeat those deathly dull intro levels again.

Scythe
26-08-2005, 09:02
Unfortunately you´re still stuck with your gender, allignement change until that monent, and starting class. And if you want to see everything in the game, those should be different... hence I´ve played 3 times trough the opening levels already.... :(

Anyway, I found the Korribian of KotOR 2 rather short and to be frank, quite meaningless, especially compared to the Korriban of KotOR 1. Does anyone shares this feeling=

Snoozer
26-08-2005, 10:45
Anyway, I found the Korribian of KotOR 2 rather short and to be frank, quite meaningless, especially compared to the Korriban of KotOR 1. Does anyone shares this feeling=

Yep, I liked Korribian in KotOR, all the back stabbning and sneaky stuff, but in KotOR 2 you didn't do much there.

I enjoyed some of the characters in the first KoToR more to be honest, some of the characters in the second just didnt have that appeal for me, although I did enjoy turnin Ashton (is that the right name) into a Dark Jedi, ah, fun fun.

I also liked the characters in KotOR better, even though you didn't gain influence or anything like that, but I didn't get the same feeling from the KotOR 2 characters, non of them really caught my interest.

:D

Antaeus
26-08-2005, 12:54
I dunno, I think the characters in both are excellent, and I prefer Atton to Carth: a guy who can go either way rather than goody two-shoes Republic soldier :) Carth was cool, but I think Atton is cooler :)

Kreia...I'm divided. She's got possibly the best voice acting going for her, but I just didn't enjoy having her along as much as characters like Atton, Bao-Dur or HK.

HK's not as funny and harder to get hold of, sadly, though in game terms he's more effective (Assassination protocols).

CELS
26-08-2005, 13:05
I agree about Atton versus Carth. Atton was more complex, and also more funny. A great scoundrel. Carth was just "Oh, I don't trust you, I don't trust you," and that was it.

Kreia is awesome. I liked having her around, putting everyone in their place and showing them their weakness and hypocrisies.

What's so fun about Bao-Dur? I never used him.

Antaeus
26-08-2005, 13:14
Bao-Dur doesn't say much, which is disappointing, but I like the bits when he's talking about the war, about Malachor V - he has good material, I think, just not enough of it.

Arnizipal
26-08-2005, 13:24
Try turning him to the Dark Side. In the end he looks more and more loke Dart Maul :evilgrin:

Antaeus
26-08-2005, 14:03
I'm working on it. Handmaiden's wearing black instead of white now... :evilgrin:

CELS
26-08-2005, 14:51
One thing I hated about being a Sith in Kotor2 was that it also meant being a petty bastard. What makes Darth Vader so cool is that he's classy and evil. "Perhaps you feel you are being treated unfairly?" I mean, he's just so cool. When you're a Sith in Kotor2, you have to go around taunting people and acting like an immature teenager. I don't want to go around stealing change from poor people, I want to get everyone to work for me, and then kill them when they refuse, just like Darth Vader. That's what a good Sith does.

It's not like you would see the Emperor pushing his guards of ledges and insulting his own droids' programming. Cool Sith don't do that.

Arnizipal
26-08-2005, 15:20
KotOR had that too.

Still...

That "give me all your money then jump in the Central Pit" - bit was hillarious!

Antaeus
26-08-2005, 23:28
Arnizipal, I again come in search of your wisdom. Operation Darkside is going swimmingly (though I screwed up and lost Influence with Bao Dur at one point...), however, still having Handmaiden problems.

I've won all the sparring matches and said I'll teach her when the time is right. However, I see no dialogue option with Kreia relating to Handmaiden's mother...does something trigger that? I've got enough Influenec with Kreia that she tells me everything.

Arnizipal
26-08-2005, 23:49
Let's see...

Have you tried asking the Handmaiden about her mother? After you've beaten her three times she'll say she can't teach you anymore, but this will open some new dialogue. Handmaiden should be wearing robes before you can talk to Kreia about Handmaiden's mother.

CELS
27-08-2005, 00:42
That's what I did. Beat her senseless, then she'll tell you about her parents, and it should be straight-forward from there. If that doesn't work, maybe you should try keeping her around more, to give you more influence.

Two things I'm wondering about;
1) On the Telos space station, there is a Diplomat from Onderon. Is there something you can do with him, or is he just there to give you some background info?

2) On Dantoine, the graphics are killing my computer, but only at certain angles. For example, when the camera is facing south, I have no troubles. When the camera is facing north or east, it's lag-city. Has anyone had problems with this, or does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? (I have already tried updating my video card driver)

Ohman
27-08-2005, 07:23
Two things I'm wondering about;
1) On the Telos space station, there is a Diplomat from Onderon. Is there something you can do with him, or is he just there to give you some background info?

Not sure. But I've never managed to get anything out of him so I don't think you can anything but talk to him.

2) On Dantoine, the graphics are killing my computer, but only at certain angles. For example, when the camera is facing south, I have no troubles. When the camera is facing north or east, it's lag-city. Has anyone had problems with this, or does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? (I have already tried updating my video card driver)

I have the exact same problem. I solved it by setting all the graphic options to the lowest setting. Sometimes you can help the problem by just playing around with the graphic options but it usually comes back when you load a new area.

Maybe someone knows if there is a patch that fixes this?

Nazguire
27-08-2005, 09:56
I have turned Brianna and Atton Rand into Jedi, I'm a Light Jedi. Well I try to be, but I get Dark Side points for things that I think are right :cries:

Scythe
27-08-2005, 10:47
Yep, I liked Korribian in KotOR, all the back stabbning and sneaky stuff, but in KotOR 2 you didn't do much there.

Ahh, my favorite moment of KotOR lies on Korriban¨

The moment when both the leader of the sith academy and his twilek rivale try to convince you to kill the other and you reply that you´ve simply used them as tools to get into the tomb... priceless.

I have turned Brianna and Atton Rand into Jedi, I'm a Light Jedi. Well I try to be, but I get Dark Side points for things that I think are right

Well, seems that you´re a real darksider in that case... ;)

bertcom1
27-08-2005, 18:47
Graphics slowdown on Dantooine for Kotor and Kotor 2.

Are you using an ATI card? I was and had the same problems. You should be able to sort them in the following way.

Download the latest drivers from the ATI website. www.ati.com
This should be called CATALYST 5.8, and is a biggish (32MB) package containing all the driver software you need.
Install this software.

Then look in the directories for Kotor and Kotor 2 for the swkotor.ini file (may be swkotor2.ini for kotor2) Open this with Notepad, and where it has the section for Graphics Options add the line "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1"

This should sort graphics slowdown on Dantooine.

Ohman
28-08-2005, 11:56
It seems to have worked! A big thank you to you!

CELS
28-08-2005, 23:25
bertcom1, I am forever in your debt! May your birthdays always be sunny.

New Cult King
29-08-2005, 06:09
In KotOR I, I'm up to this bit:

... on the StarForge planet, and have just killed The One after his troops attacked me for seeing the Elders. I'm 20th level, with a double-bladed lightsabre with the Mantle of the Force crystal I scored from the Yavin station after killing the Trandoshans... My eyes are bleary and I'm sleep deprived and have developed a permanent slouch from my computer chair... help me...

On another note, according to my save game slots, I'm not even 30 hours into the game yet, and a friend insists there's like 45 hours worth of gameplay in it. I've done all the planets, spoken to everyone and done all the quests I could... have I missed something huge?

Arnizipal
29-08-2005, 10:29
Like I said here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9370&page=3&pp=10#post179058), every partymember has a sidequest.
Have you done them all? To get them you need to switch your party once in a while when you visit the various planets.
It's probably too late to do the ones you missed as you're

on the Unknown Planet

already.

New Cult King
30-08-2005, 01:50
I've done the ones for:

Zaalbar and Juhani (that blue Twi'lek hunter). I've cleared the poachers for Jolee (not a sidequest I 'spose, since you have to do that to progress). My quest diary alludes to a sidequest for Canderous, but I haven't unlocked it. I haven't unlocked HK-47's assassin protocols, nor got any further with Mission's brother (I haven't used her at all after Taris) nor Carth's son. Damn. Well, I'm going to play it through again as Dark Side, so maybe I'll get them then ;)

Antaeus
30-08-2005, 11:42
Heh, the KotOR thread is talking about KotOR II and the KotOR II thread is talking about KotOR...

NCK: For Canderous...
Go to Manaan after you've spoken to him about his past battles, and take him with you. You meet...someone, I won't spoil it, in the corridor outside the Hawk's hangar bay. In the same way you find out about Carth's son :)

CELS
30-08-2005, 12:16
Bizarre things happen when you're playing Kotor2 for the 4th time, looking for new alternate endings. For example, I now have a Sith Lord who is firmly on the light side :wtf:

I have a question though. Not really spoiler-worthy, IMO.
On Nar Shaddaa, in the docks, there are only a few rooms. Disregarding the pylons, you have the habitation unit where you can find thugs, mandalorians, a scientist, etc. There's also the lair of the Hutt, and on the far end, you have the alien cantina-thing with toxic fumes.
Actually, I have two questions.
1) There is another set of rooms in the docks, with two seperate doors leading to one giant room. I never saw what was in there. Did I miss something, or is this one of the things the game designers didn't finish, or just put up for show?

2) In the room of the Hutt, there's a locked door guarded by a pair of dog-like creatures. I notice there's a water bowl in the corner. Is this a part of an actual quest, where you can intoxicate the guard dogs and find your way into the secret room? Or just another unfinished thing?

Antaeus
30-08-2005, 12:26
2) In the room of the Hutt, there's a locked door guarded by a pair of dog-like creatures. I notice there's a water bowl in the corner. Is this a part of an actual quest, where you can intoxicate the guard dogs and find your way into the secret room? Or just another unfinished thing?

Not sure about the first one, if it's what I think it is I haven't managed to find out why that's there either - either it's unfinished or it's just to suggest that there's more to the planet than the areas you get to be in - if that sentence even made any sense. Unless it's the very last room, which is part of the storyline (don't know how far you are into the game).

However, I can help with the second one. You know in the Docks there's the flophouse, with loads of people in rooms? (there's an Ithorian, a Bith, some Mandalorians, the Lunar Shadow crew...oh yeah, you said you knew :D) There are a couple of alien thugs in a room, that say "If you thought you could sneak up on us, you were wrong" or something like that.

Use a character with Stealth to get close to them - you overhear their conversation about dealing with Vogga's Kath hounds. Then go to the bar, buy some juma juice (it's quite expensive, but the loot in the room makes up for it - besides, you can haggle in one way or another), go to Vogga's and tip it into the watering urn :)

CELS
30-08-2005, 12:34
LoL! The things you know...

Thanks!

Scythe
30-08-2005, 12:36
Correct, it's a side mission acctually, and gives quite some rewards

the vault of the Hutt contains a lightsaber/lightsaber part and for dancing in front of the Hutt you get the dancer's outfit :D

I never got into the other set of rooms in the docks. I don't know if this is possible, but I haven't found out so far. I first thought it was only the droid factory

which you only visit with the astromech droid, but it turned out to be some other unknown path

CELS
30-08-2005, 12:44
Droid factory? Do you mean the storage room in the Hutt complex?

Scythe
30-08-2005, 12:46
Yeah, the place were only droids were allowed.... sorry for the typo.

Arnizipal
30-08-2005, 14:07
Bizarre things happen when you're playing Kotor2 for the 4th time, looking for new alternate endings. For example, I now have a Sith Lord who is firmly on the light side :wtf:

Have you found the weird Atton dialog yet? Apparently when you play the game for the third time Atton has some extra dialog when you rescue him. He says something about his agent getting him this job as he was first hired to voice a character in a Jedi Knight game.

1) There is another set of rooms in the docks, with two seperate doors leading to one giant room. I never saw what was in there. Did I miss something, or is this one of the things the game designers didn't finish, or just put up for show?

Probably one of the unfinished areas (like so many others, unfortunatly).

Use stealth in the fancy cantina and walk around a bit.

Nazguire
01-09-2005, 08:59
If I use Cheats, will the ending be less satisfactory? I've this feeling I'm going to be missing out on something if I do use cheats.

CELS
01-09-2005, 09:28
Didn't know there were cheats...

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll check it out. Haven't found the Carth dialogue though. I'll let you know when I do. Also...

I'm really surprised that there are so many ways of getting through the game, in terms of dialogue. I'm finishing the game for a fourth time, and I discovered a whole new thing where you confront the Jedi on Dantooine. Previously, Kreia had always supported me and helped me when I played through this, but this time she was incredibly disappointed with me and she held this long speech about what I had become. It was great!!! She was totally right too, of course, since my character had gone from a good Jedi Guardian to a depraved Sith Lord, because I wanted to see Mira, Bao-Dur and Disciple as dark Jedi :D
Anyway, that speech was so cool! Actually, that whole part of the game is great. I love Kreia, and I love her voice actor. Fantastic. Bravo!

Arnizipal
01-09-2005, 10:43
There are some infinite XP glitches in the game (those are fun :D) but I haven't heard anything about cheat codes.

@CELS:

AFAIK there are two ways to confront the Jedi Council. Either you're goody two shoes and the Council will decide to destroy you, after which Kreia interferes and kills them all, or you're evil incarnate and kill the council yourself, after which Kreia does her 'dissapointment speech' and 'kills' you.

Scythe
01-09-2005, 11:21
Just wondering,

I never killed everyone of the jedi council before meeting them again on Dantooine, even as a Sith. What happens when you do kill them all 3 as soon as you find them? Do you still go to Dantooine again?

Antaeus
01-09-2005, 11:41
You go to Dantooine..

And go into the ruined Enclave. There, you ask Kreia where the rest of the Jedi are, and she says that they are dead: you killed them, and gets rather disappointed in you...

CELS
01-09-2005, 11:48
Actually, there seems to be at least three different endings here.
When I played the first time, I let the Jedi Council try to punish me, and then Kreia went Gung Ho on their ass. When I played the second time, I gathered up all three of the Jedi Masters and to their surprise, I ended up killing them. When I played this time, I had killed two of them, but the last Jedi Master (with the bad moustache... :wtf: ) was still alive. So I killed him, Kreia asks me if I've had enough. I go "Heeeell no" and she does her disappointment speech, which she did not do the first time I killed them all.

Also, I've just spoken with Carth Onasi for the third time, and there was no easter egg speech about his acting job :cries:

Arnizipal
01-09-2005, 12:10
Maybe it only happens with female characters?

CELS
01-09-2005, 12:41
I'm currently playing a female character. Or were you referring to the stuff I mentioned in the spoiler?

Either way, it doesn't make much sense to me...

Arnizipal
01-09-2005, 12:52
I meant about the Carth bit.

I'm currently looking where I got this perticular rumour from. It ain't from GameFaqs...
It might have been from the lengthy KotOR thread on old Portent. Shame it got lost with the rest... It was like the ultimate guide to KotOR :(

Have you tried all dialog options when you met Atton in his cell?

CELS
01-09-2005, 13:08
Oh, you meant Kotor1? Ooooh, ok. Sorry. I've only finished that game once.

Arnizipal
01-09-2005, 13:33
Oh, you meant Kotor1? Ooooh, ok. Sorry. I've only finished that game once.
No, I actually meant KotOR II. The KotOR thread on Portent had some info on KotOR II at the end (past p65 or so :p ).
And to make it even more confusing I also mixed up Atton and Carth... :o
I did mean Atton though.

CELS
01-09-2005, 14:30
LoL! Ok. Definitely did not hear anything like that from Atton, and I believe I've been through that part at least 5 times. (I tend to start new characters and grow bored with them by the next time I play the game)

Strictly Commercial
01-09-2005, 17:53
KOTOR 2 gets the frying pan from this gamer. Although it gets kudos for unlimited leveling, prestige class choices, and influence with the characters, it possesses a number of flaws which easily outweigh the good things.

1. Bad storyline. Basically, it isn't a whole lot different from the first one, but with generally poorer characters. Overall I prefer Bastila to Kraela as mentors and most commonly seen characters go. I also don't think they have as cool of a pilot as Carth from the original, and there are very few characters more annoying than that tool Goto (cool voice actor though). The exception to this general disappointment is the Handmaiden, who reminds me greatly of the DE archon after I built her up.

And really, why in the hell would anybody let that chump Goto put that moronic droid on their ship? You can't tell me because it had a bomb on it they couldn't get rid of it - you could wait for it to be destroyed by the enemy and not help it, for pete's sake. Bad plot holes galore, this sloppily strung together series of planetary shenanigans might be the poorest SW universe sequel since Return of the Jedi.

Perhaps my biggest problem is the number of times you get captured. Five. Five!!! Even James Bond manages to avoid capture that many times in a book. I understand maybe once in the game, even twice if it is long enough, but it is a generally accepted fact in storytelling that capture/subsequent escape is a cheap, generally fast segue that takes little imagination and gets you where the story needs you without the need for creative thinking. To top it off, you are forced to play some of the above mentioned bland characters during this time, which is even more grating on the nerve. Apparently, you were supposed to be entertained by the designers' "cool NPCs", a mistake made commonly by coders and RPG runners alike.

2. Lots of waiting. Perhaps my problem is that I played this on XBox and the load times were slow, but there were so many loads, and some times you had to go to one room, get something, go through three loads, get the next piece of info, go two or three environments back, etc. This was especially noteworthy on the planet that was being rebuilt (can't remember the name), with the neverending series of runarounds.

3. Unchallenging. I practically walked through every combat. In the original, some fights were so stinkin' hard I had to save like six times during one encounter (Korriban and those two huge creatures is one example). The fight on the starforge with the onslaught of Sith troops and Dark Jedi was challenging and exciting. KOTOR 2 had absolutely nothing like that, except for the Mandalorian planet when you assault the Sith compound, but it doesn't come close.

KOTOR 2 is a general waste of your time and effort, and an unworthy sequel to a far superior game.

**Edited because I accidentally put a near fatal spoiler in akin to Homer Simpson's famous "I can't believe Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad" quote and would have deserved being killed by Force Lightning.**

Arnizipal
01-09-2005, 21:34
1. Bad storyline. Basically, it isn't a whole lot different from the first one, but with generally poorer characters. Overall I prefer Bastila to Kraela as mentors and most commonly seen characters go. I also don't think they have as cool of a pilot as Carth from the original, and there are very few characters more annoying than that tool Goto (cool voice actor though).

The story is totally different:

In KotOR you're a converted Sith Lord who migh relapse to the old ways.
In KotOR II you're a Jedi so traumatized by too much bloodshed that you cut yourself off from the Force and become some sort of anomality.

Bastilla was, as Mission put it, 'a prissy little bitch'. Her high and might-ness really got on my nerves. I took great pleasure in her embarrasment as she fell in love with my character. :evilgrin:
I thought Kreia was refreshing as a mentor:

... as I noticed from the start she was obiously a Dark Jedi

The characters from KotOR II generally have a more interesting background than those from the fist game. Unfortunatly you need to have good influence with the characters to learn it all.
Atton and G0t0 have in fact some really cool dark secrets. :)

And really, why in the hell would anybody let that chump Goto put that moronic droid on their ship? You can't tell me because it had a bomb on it they couldn't get rid of it - you could wait for it to be destroyed by the enemy and not help it, for pete's sake. Bad plot holes galore, this sloppily strung together series of planetary shenanigans might be the poorest SW universe sequel since Return of the Jedi.

The story suffered because the game wasn't finished when it was released. it's a shame really. They had some real potential with that HK factory... :(

Perhaps my biggest problem is the number of times you get captured. Five. Five!!! Even James Bond manages to avoid capture that many times in a book. I understand maybe once in the game, even twice if it is long enough, but it is a generally accepted fact in storytelling that capture/subsequent escape is a cheap, generally fast segue that takes little imagination and gets you where the story needs you without the need for creative thinking.

You know, I played through the game twice and I hadn't noticed this.

In fact I can only remember being captured twice.
Once on Telos by Atris and her Handmaidens and once on Nar Shadaa by by Mira (though she actually saves you this way).

EDIT: Just remebered being captured by G0t0 as well.

2. Lots of waiting. Perhaps my problem is that I played this on XBox and the load times were slow, but there were so many loads, and some times you had to go to one room, get something, go through three loads, get the next piece of info, go two or three environments back, etc. This was especially noteworthy on the planet that was being rebuilt (can't remember the name), with the neverending series of runarounds.

Yeah, Paragus and Telos fade compared to Taris.

3. Unchallenging. I practically walked through every combat. In the original, some fights were so stinkin' hard I had to save like six times during one encounter (Korriban and those two huge creatures is one example). The fight on the starforge with the onslaught of Sith troops and Dark Jedi was challenging and exciting. KOTOR 2 had absolutely nothing like that, except for the Mandalorian planet when you assault the Sith compound, but it doesn't come close.

KotOR wasn't all that challenging either, though I admit Force Crush is a pretty obscene Force Power.

All in all, KotOR II has the better game rules, but suffered (badly) storywise. But it's still an enjoyable game. :)

CELS
01-09-2005, 22:38
And now to defend the honour of one of my favourite games (eventhough I agree it could be a million times better)

1) Bad storyline. Not really worse than the first one, IMO. And I do believe there were some very interesting stuff in there. Most notably, I love the intereaction with Kreia and how she runs behind the scenes, and the concept isn't really that bad. It's just the execution of the concept that suffers, and I guess mostly because they had to rush the game.

About being captured five times... that's not really a surprise. There are so many bounty hunters looking for you that it's completely ridiculous. I mean, when you get to Dantooine, even the bloody farmers are talking about your bounty. Besides, Jedi aren't supposed to be invincible.

2) Did not have problem with waiting on my computer.

3) I agree with Arnizipal; neither game is very challenging. The main problem here isn't just combat, but the fact that you have so many specialists that it doesn't matter much what abilities your main character has. In games like Fallout, the game is totally different if you play an 'expert' versus a 'fighter' type character. You have to solve quests in different manners, etc. This is not so much the case with Kotor, because you can easily kill everyone whether you're a guardian, sentinel or... the other type.

One thing that irritates me particularly about combat is how all characters grow increasingly tough to match your own level of skill. I would prefer it if there was just more of them, or better armed. It just doesn't feel right when you have three jedi pounding a lowly mercenary with six light sabers, and he doesn't disintegrate immediately.

I agree that there are many things that should be improved, but I don't think those things are the most important.

Scythe
02-09-2005, 09:51
I don't think the storyline was that bad, obviously it didn't had the :wtf: moment of the first game, but it was not bad imho. Kreia had some interesting backstory as had your own character. The ending was rather open tough, that's why I really hope they release a KotOR III some time...

L6FR_BH_FKR
03-09-2005, 23:24
One thing that irritates me particularly about combat is how all characters grow increasingly tough to match your own level of skill. I would prefer it if there was just more of them, or better armed. It just doesn't feel right when you have three jedi pounding a lowly mercenary with six light sabers, and he doesn't disintegrate immediately.

The problem is that Dark Consulars (734 1337 P\/\/nZ000rzzzz!!!1111!!) would have an even easier time through the game. A single Big lightning storm and every guy on the screen dies (granted it already only took 3 max...).

Actually I found that Dark Consulars were the most powerful class in the game. FAR too powerful. I'd rush to the middle of a mob, 2 force lightning and they were all dead. If I lost life, Mass Drain life, they're dead and I'm at full health.
Boss level enemies are even easier: just force crush (the dark sith special power) them a few times: they can't move and take over 150 damage each time.

Antaeus
03-09-2005, 23:45
I disagree, partly. In terms of demolishing large blocks of opponents, yes, Consulars are excellent (Insanity or Wave, followed up by Storm/Death Field is particularly nasty). However, i find that in the final battle against..the final opponent...Consulars are very tough to win with. The only class I found it less than challenging was with Jedi Sentinel-based characters (Force Immunity). Others kept getting whacked by the ... finla opponent's Force powers, most notably the Stun side effect of Wave (Consular/Master with massive Wisdom and Will save - the opponent saved everything and I saved nothing).

CELS
03-09-2005, 23:55
I agree that Consulars are not the most effective class to use against very tough opponents. In single combat, no one is more effective than Sith Marauders / Jedi Weaponmasters.

Scythe
04-09-2005, 11:58
I had no problem with my dark sided counsular/sith lord in the final battle

Run around and use force crush on the purshuing lightsabers one at a time. My sith lord had about 700 force points at the end of the game, so a practical limitless amount of force. Kreia herself is easily beaten with some additional crushes, as was Sion before her.

I think light sided counsulars would have a pretty hard time tough. No force crush, and the light sided powers don't work well on the final boss. Even if you took force lighting, it isn't that effective in the final battles, and drains your force pretty fast as a light sider. Your bonuses to party memebers are also worthless in the last part of the game.

Harky
04-09-2005, 22:15
In Kotor2 which characters that aren't already Jedi/Sith can become so during the game and how?
I just started to play for the second time and I didn't convert anyone the first time around when I was a male Jedi. Now I'm playing as a female Sith, so do you have any suggestions concerning who I can train into a Jedi?

Arnizipal
04-09-2005, 22:28
In Kotor2 which characters that aren't already Jedi/Sith can become so during the game and how?
I just started to play for the second time and I didn't convert anyone the first time around when I was a male Jedi. Now I'm playing as a female Sith, so do you have any suggestions concerning who I can train into a Jedi?
Ironically, this is explained in the KotOR I thread (by me ;) ). The thread has slipped to page two though, so just follow this link. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9370&page=4&pp=10#post180125)

As you're a Sith it'll be a bit hard to convice Bao-Dur, as he's an allround nice guy. Prepare for some Light Side points.

A good way to get one of the two necessary good influences on Bao-Dur is to save the Czerka guy that got lost in the underground base on Telos. Boa-Dur is with you at the moment you run into him and killing him will lose you influence.

Another good one is tossing the muggers on Nar Shaddaa in the Central Pit. It's evil, but Bao-Dur will like you for it cause you saved some poor shmoe. :evilgrin:

EDIT: As you are female, you won't get Handmaiden. You'll get the Disciple instead. I don't really know how to 'convert' him as I haven't played with a female character yet, but I hear that talking to him and just saying the right ( = Light Sided) things should do the trick.

Antaeus
04-09-2005, 22:28
Warning: *Minor Spoilers*

Nothing you wouldn't pick up from reading the thread, however ;)

I was much the same, didn't influence people much first time through. Atton, Bao-Dur, Handmaiden/Disciple and Mira can be turned into Jedi given the right circumstances and/or a bucket load of Influence :)

CELS
04-09-2005, 23:28
Disciple is the easiest character to convert. It took me about four minutes of talking. He was a Jedi by the time we left the room. But yeah, you have to take the Light Sided approach, or else you will lose influence and get nowhere.

Antaeus
04-09-2005, 23:43
That, or be a two-faced bastid - do things that please them when they're around, but bring along, say HK-47 and Atton when you're in the mood for some mindless cruelty :evilgrin:

Harky
05-09-2005, 09:51
By Light sided you mean while talking to them, not actually doing good stuff in the game? I'm usally the super good guy, but now I've grown fond of my pale skinned zombie bitch ;)

CELS
05-09-2005, 10:21
I mean you have to delay your zombie bitch tendencies for four minutes while you talk nice to Disciple (he needs to hear that you believe in the Jedi, or else he doesn't want to become one). Same with Bao-Dur (who needs to know you're fighting for the same thing, which is helping people or something equally pathetic :skull: ). Once you've made them both Jedi, they turn all too easily. They won't like it, but they'll turn all the same. MWHAHAHAHA!

Antaeus
05-09-2005, 10:22
Yup, say nice stuff, agree with them and that kind of thing when they're around - you'll earn the odd Light Side point, but there's plenty of opportunities to gain Dark Side points without 'good' companions reacting baly.

CELS
05-09-2005, 10:27
Yeah, you just lose influence with them. But by that time, you've already got everything you want fromthem (since they're already jedi), so they can pout their mouth all they want, but at the end of the day they're still cutting down any civilian that gets in my way! :evilgrin:

Harky
05-09-2005, 10:43
Thanks for all the advice!
Does your gender affect convertig people to jedi? Is it easier for instance to convert the girl bounty hunter if you're a guy, it didn't seem that way while I was playing since she was pretty rude to my male character ;) Also how do you learn the Jedi Lightsaber forms, if you kill the Jedi Council when you find them?

CELS
05-09-2005, 11:00
You learn some of the Jedi forms from the Jedi Masters. Whatever you choose to do when you meet them, they will learn you the forms. You learn the rest as your character gets more experienced. A level 20 Jedi will know most of the forms.

As for Mira, I also experienced her as rude when I played a male character. But I guess that was because she thought I was coming on to her. Which I was, of course. But no, I don't think gender really makes a difference.

Antaeus
05-09-2005, 11:17
Yeah, you just lose influence with them. But by that time, you've already got everything you want fromthem (since they're already jedi), so they can pout their mouth all they want, but at the end of the day they're still cutting down any civilian that gets in my way! :evilgrin:

Sound man. Can't have them civvies getting in the way of Dark Jedi business :evilgrin:

Nazguire
05-09-2005, 12:06
I have converted Handmaiden and Atton to Jedi...(Well Sith really...) and I am a pasty faced zombie with a double bladed lightsabre (red of course), Force Crush, Sith Lord Robes, and have helped Vaklu and the Mercenaries of Dantooine to power.

When I try to be good, something close to that happens, cept I help the Queen and the Administrator.

So instead of trying to be good, I go out of my way to be evil :evilgrin:

Arnizipal
05-09-2005, 12:52
Thanks for all the advice!
Does your gender affect convertig people to jedi? Is it easier for instance to convert the girl bounty hunter if you're a guy, it didn't seem that way while I was playing since she was pretty rude to my male character ;) Also how do you learn the Jedi Lightsaber forms, if you kill the Jedi Council when you find them?
It doesn't matter. Mira has a bit of an 'in your face' mentality, that's all.

BTW: If you're Dark Sided you won't be able to get Mira, you'll get that psycho Wookie instead.

Harky
05-09-2005, 13:00
Damn! I hates the Wookie!

Arnizipal
05-09-2005, 13:02
Well, your character better be good or neutral then by the time you visit Nar Shadaa.

CELS
05-09-2005, 13:21
I hear you Harky. And pay heed to Arnizipal's advice too, or you'll learn to hate the Wookie in ways you never thought possible ;) I know I did.

Harky
05-09-2005, 13:36
Well then I guess my Zombie bitch is getting a tan. I hated the wookie in KOTR1 as well. Every time he spoke I wanted to stick my double bladed lightsaber up his **** and turn it ON! :evilgrin:

Well I guess I'll be doing good deeds on that planet restoration station from now on. The easiest way would probably be if I went to that cop and solved some of his problems right? The Ithorians don't want to talk to me anymore since I'm working for their competitors.

Arnizipal
05-09-2005, 15:42
I hear you Harky. And pay heed to Arnizipal's advice too, or you'll learn to hate the Wookie in ways you never thought possible ;) I know I did.
And he likes it too. :rolleyes:
The masochistic bastard...

Scythe
05-09-2005, 16:08
Well, the wookie is a bit of a pain,

But at least he gives you characteristic increases if you break his spirit :evilgrin:. And he is the strongest non-lightsaber hth fighter in the game

ironduke
05-09-2005, 16:47
I didn't like any of the wookies in either of the games. There roar just really grated on my nerves.
Also i know this is going to shock most people but i hated and despised Kreia. Granted she was a cool character and well thought out, but there is nothing worse than a back seat force user

My Jedi character happily helping people. Kreia "you shouldn't have done that, i would of done it a different way youve really dissapointed me."

Well **** off then and go annoy some other jedi b****

sorry she got me so annoyed

Scythe
05-09-2005, 16:52
You really shouldn't take her with you if you talk to people... most of the time she disagrees with you no mather wat you do. Just take her into combat situations for the bonus experience points...;)

Arnizipal
05-09-2005, 20:30
I didn't like any of the wookies in either of the games. There roar just really grated on my nerves.
Also i know this is going to shock most people but i hated and despised Kreia. Granted she was a cool character and well thought out, but there is nothing worse than a back seat force user

My Jedi character happily helping people. Kreia "you shouldn't have done that, i would of done it a different way youve really dissapointed me."

Well **** off then and go annoy some other jedi b****

sorry she got me so annoyed
That's why I disliked Bastilla so much in the original KotOR. She did just about the same thing as Kreia, but she did it during cutscenes and obligated conversations you can't avoid. :mad:

CELS
05-09-2005, 22:01
Wtf? Me and Kreia got along fine when I was on the light side. Ironduke, I guess your character was short on charisma :D

I didn't like Bastilla either. She seemed to immature to be a Jedi. But then, I also felt that Calth or Carth or whatever was a bit immature.

And Scythe, any non-lightsaber character is a waste anyway, IMO. First of all, because in this game, there is nothing more deadly than a Jedi. Second of all, it's frickin Knights of the Old Republic, so I want me some Jedi knights :D

Harky
05-09-2005, 22:09
Right, I'm in the Ice fortress on Toriban now and I got myself from red smoke in the backround to grey. That should ensure I don't get the stupid wookie when I go to Nar Shadaa right?

Also do you get this wierd bug when you come to the fortress and start talking to the Handmaiden that Keira and the other guy are still behind you and so you can't release them from the cages that they SHOULD be in, so you can't leave with the Ebon Hawk? It happens to me when I first try to enter every time I play.

Arnizipal
06-09-2005, 00:33
Grey is neutral, so that should worj then.

Can't say I've heard of that bug before. Then again this game is riddles with bugs. :rolleyes:
Have you tried going to the cell block anyway? The part where you release them is a cut scene, so that should (normally) fix it.

Scythe
06-09-2005, 08:15
And Scythe, any non-lightsaber character is a waste anyway, IMO. First of all, because in this game, there is nothing more deadly than a Jedi. Second of all, it's frickin Knights of the Old Republic, so I want me some Jedi knights :D

A Dark Side counselor/sith lord can be pretty effective with force lightning, life drain and later on force crush. Still, it's always nice to slice someone up with a lightsaber. ;)

Harky
06-09-2005, 08:53
Can't say I've heard of that bug before. Then again this game is riddles with bugs. :rolleyes:
Have you tried going to the cell block anyway? The part where you release them is a cut scene, so that should (normally) fix it.

It doesn't work since the conversation between Keira and Atton doesn't kick in. They just stand behind you and not do anything.
I figured out how to avoid it though. When you walk in and the Handmaiden orders you to lay down your weapons you must not comply right away but have to argue a little first, then it's OK and the game runs smothly.

Where do you meet this Disciple you said replaces the Handmaiden?

Scythe
06-09-2005, 09:13
On Dantooine, in the ruins of the jedi academy (just the place were you meet him as a male, he only joins you this time).

Harky
06-09-2005, 09:47
Oh, he's the "historian"?

ironduke
06-09-2005, 10:07
[QUOTE=CELS]Wtf? Me and Kreia got along fine when I was on the light side. Ironduke, I guess your character was short on charisma :D

It may be the character or maybe it was just me. She just really bugged me. I mean it got to the stage that i was entertaining the thought of chopping her up into bite sized Kreia chunks.
Sounds like i need therapy.

Scythe
06-09-2005, 10:11
Oh, he's the "historian"?

Yes, that's him...;)

ironduke
06-09-2005, 10:15
so which of the characters are force sensitive (bearing in mind i haven't played it in a while) obviously your character, Kreia, that blind darksider can't remember her name, Atton who else?

Arnizipal
06-09-2005, 11:09
It may be the character or maybe it was just me. She just really bugged me. I mean it got to the stage that i was entertaining the thought of chopping her up into bite sized Kreia chunks.
Sounds like i need therapy.

No need for therapy. Everybody chops her into bite sized Kreia bits in the end ;)

Every human character is Force Sensitive (Except Canderous, but then he's technically not human).

Scythe
06-09-2005, 11:25
Bao-Dur is force-sensitive as well, tough you can't turn him into jedi by dialogue alone.

ironduke
06-09-2005, 11:34
[QUOTE=Arnizipal]
No need for therapy. Everybody chops her into bite sized Kreia bits in the end ;)

QUOTE]

Yes and how satisfying was that very :evilgrin:

CELS
06-09-2005, 12:36
I didn't know Canderous was Mandalore. Cool. Clan Ordo. I believe he's still technically a human though, since the Mandalorian race were wiped out long before humans started donning their armour. But then again, I'm just starting to read up on the expanded universe, so I could very well be wrong about this.

You know what I disliked about Kotor2? Or rather, what I could have liked? I wanted to wear proper Mandalorian heavy armour. With the helmet and everything. If I could do that, I'd play the game as a bunch of gun slinging desperadoes in Mandalorian armour.

Scythe
06-09-2005, 12:46
Shame isn't it? No proper helmets and no proper equipable Darth Nihillus mask... oh well, hopefully we'll see something like that in kotor III.....;)

Arnizipal
06-09-2005, 13:35
I didn't know Canderous was Mandalore. Cool. Clan Ordo. I believe he's still technically a human though, since the Mandalorian race were wiped out long before humans started donning their armour. But then again, I'm just starting to read up on the expanded universe, so I could very well be wrong about this.
Mandalorians are like the Sith now? You sure about that? I though it was one of those 'alien races' that look just like humans (in a very Star Trek Vulcans kind of way).

Kreia mentions Mandalore is Canderous somewhere. Something about Revan leaving him broken at the edge of known space...

ironduke
06-09-2005, 14:08
No mandolorians look kind of like the predator but not with the funky mouth. If you read the comics you see one without a helmet on.

ironduke
06-09-2005, 14:09
Oh and according to the expanded universe they died out because they were a warrior race.

Arnizipal
06-09-2005, 14:12
Isn't the Expanded Universe unofficial?
I'm pretty sure Kreia mentions that the Mandalorians are on the verge of extinction and will take a long while to finally die out, which means Mandalore and his clan are all pure-bred Mandalorians.

CELS
06-09-2005, 14:42
No, the Expanded Universe is quite official, I believe. Lucas Arts is pretty heavily involved in checking out new novels, comic books, computer games (obviously) and other stuff, and see if they want it to be included in the Expanded Universe or not. Apparently, the blue female twi'lek Jedi in Star Wars Episode 3 was chosen by George Lucas because he saw her in some Star Wars cartoon or comic book or something. (Clone Wars cartoons, I think)

I think Kreia meant the Mandalorians as a people, not as a race. Same as when she talks about the Sith and how they must be defeated, she means the followers of Sith ideology, and not the race.
You'll also notice that Mira calls herself a Mandalorian, because she was taken as a slave by Mandalorians.

So have they even begun working on a Kotor3, officially?

Arnizipal
06-09-2005, 14:46
I still think it's fishy. They already have the 'people following the idiology of an extinct race' with the Sith. There's no need to have that for the Mandalorians as well.

ironduke
06-09-2005, 15:39
Expanded Universe is official to all but Lucas has the right to go over and re-write and change whatever he wants.

Strictly Commercial
08-09-2005, 10:16
Yeah, like "Vader lost his arm over Skywalker escaping him" from Shadows of the Empire. That's my favorite. Also, the whole idea that the dark side eats away at your body seems pretty much a fancy of the EU and not Lucas. Okay, Force Lightning channeled through your body eats it away pretty fast, but I mean it doesn't appear Lucas intended to have characters who have fallen to the dark side suffer rapid body degeneration because of it (as was assumed for the Emporer and why he was so deformed).

Nazguire
08-09-2005, 12:20
I still think it's fishy. They already have the 'people following the idiology of an extinct race' with the Sith. There's no need to have that for the Mandalorians as well.

Meh, either way, Mandalorians are cool. And I think that they are all Human, if that is the way that Lucas intends, so be it

Scythe
08-09-2005, 12:36
Okay, Force Lightning channeled through your body eats it away pretty fast, but I mean it doesn't appear Lucas intended to have characters who have fallen to the dark side suffer rapid body degeneration because of it (as was assumed for the Emporer and why he was so deformed).

Even before ep III, what do you expect from a man who is past his 90s? And if the dark side really corrupts so fast, why did he managed to get so old in the first place?

Arnizipal
09-09-2005, 11:35
Even before ep III, what do you expect from a man who is past his 90s? And if the dark side really corrupts so fast, why did he managed to get so old in the first place?
I believe that in the Expanded Universe the Emperor had his private cloning machine so he could just make on a new body once his current one was too corrupted.
It doesn't sound too plausible though. What did the Sith do before cloning was invented?

Nazguire
09-09-2005, 12:45
I believe that in the Expanded Universe the Emperor had his private cloning machine so he could just make on a new body once his current one was too corrupted.
It doesn't sound too plausible though. What did the Sith do before cloning was invented?

Cross their fingers and hope for the best? Perhaps that when the Force was actually discovered by the real Sith, they already were advanced in technology.

ironduke
09-09-2005, 12:50

Yes he did and the clone grew up in the deep core. This new emperor managed to turn luke to the dark side and leia brought him back. This is also in the comic books it is also where the world destroyers and the fighters that had droid brains come from.
Also it just wasn't one clone there were many kept in stasis because in the comics i think he dies twice not quite sure. He ages quick in them as well because of the dark side corrupting him.

Arnizipal
10-09-2005, 09:11
So technically the Emperor could still come back after Return of the Jedi?

Nazguire
10-09-2005, 12:55
So technically the Emperor could still come back after Return of the Jedi?

Well he did in the Extended Universe, and after what all the people have been saying explaining about his clones, then sure, if Lucas wanted more money.

Scythe
10-09-2005, 13:48

However, this has proven quite wrong with the release of ep III. The cloning proces for the emperor was thought of because people wrongly assumend the emperor got his horrible face as in ep VI from the usage/corruption of the dark side. Now we know it was Windu who acctually caused that appearance, so the emperor can't possibly have cloned himself during the time between ep III and ep VI (23 years if I'm correct).

ironduke
12-09-2005, 11:38
How so? Just because he is old and disfigured doesn't mean he cannot clone himself. If this were true which its not it would fly in the face of all the books that follow on from Return of the Jedi.
Jorus Caboth (not spelt right) would not have used the secret cloning facility that the emperor had placed on wayland for his own purposes. The emperor wouldn't have returned but he did then, died twice.

But anyway i think thats subject manner for another thread if someone wants to discuss this further otherwise KOTR 2 anybody?

Nazguire
12-09-2005, 11:55
What is Mandalore's side quest and how the hell do I gain influence with him. Don't be afraid to put spoilers in, I've already beaten the game. :p

ironduke
12-09-2005, 12:01
Isn't his trying to win over all the dissalusioned mandalorians? I can't remember due to having played it like 8 months ago.

CELS
12-09-2005, 12:12
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I found all of them, but nothing really happened. There were some on Nar Shaddaah, and some on Dantooine. Pretty sure there were none on Telos, Korriban or Onderon.

Scythe
12-09-2005, 12:50
What is Mandalore's side quest and how the hell do I gain influence with him. Don't be afraid to put spoilers in, I've already beaten the game. :p

There are only a few points in the game were you can gain influence on mandalore. If you decide to kill the Onderon captain on board of Darth Nihillus ship, you gain some influece on him, and I believe there's one or two points on Onderon itself were you can also gain some influence. However this doesn't give you anything special; he has no secret stuff you can unlock with him as far as I know.

How so? Just because he is old and disfigured doesn't mean he cannot clone himself. If this were true which its not it would fly in the face of all the books that follow on from Return of the Jedi.
Jorus Caboth (not spelt right) would not have used the secret cloning facility that the emperor had placed on wayland for his own purposes. The emperor wouldn't have returned but he did then, died twice.

I hope I don't go too far of topic, buth my point is Palpatine can't have cloned himself between epIII and ep VI for the reason I pointed out; the clone wouldn't be disfigured. And that makes it highly unlikely that he cloned himself before that time. That doesn't mean the cloning facilities aren't there; in fact it is quite likely that Thrawn found the cloning facilities on Kammino, as seen in ep II. After all, that planet was hidden as well from normal databases and star maps.

ironduke
12-09-2005, 14:24
Right ive opened a thread in the random musings for this topic of discussion so if you want to carry on follow this link.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=213831#post213831

New Cult King
20-09-2005, 06:22
I've just bought KotOR2!! After KotOR devoured over a week of my life :p

Question: Are there still only 3 starter classes, Soldier, Scout and Scoundrel? Or have they added a few more into the mix?

I haven't even gotten home to install it yet, but I'm champing at the bit :D

Scythe
20-09-2005, 08:07
KotOR only devoured a single week of your life???

:p

Anyway, you start with a Jedi class in KotOR II, which are the same as the later jedi classes you can get in I (eg Guardian, Sentinel, Counsular). Later on, you can get Jedi or Sith prestige classes...;)

New Cult King
20-09-2005, 23:27
Duh. I should have realised that. I HAVE been reading this thread, honest! KotOR actually killed about two weeks of my life, but I played it for like 6 hours a day at least... I was up til after midnight most nights, bleary-eyed and exhausted, but I beat it. Then I started playing through as Dark Side, and have finished doing the quests for:

...that Genohadaran (sp?) Rodian guy, just have to go back and see him now that I've killed the shapeshifter on Kashyyyk.

KotOR II rocks my socks so far though. Just got to Telos.

Scythe
21-09-2005, 09:47
The real fun starts once you leave Telos. Telos itself is quite long. Afterwarths tough, when you choose were you're going, and get all the additional characters, you can really start to develop your character.

New Cult King
22-09-2005, 01:54
I'm about ready to kill somebody. I've been racing that stupid bloody swoop race through the Telos Cantina for AGES now, and I'm getting average times of 44 seconds, which is about the second best time for th track. But the damn Twi'lek behind the counter keeps saying that I have to finish the race to qualify, or that I haven't beaten any of the track times... Is this a glitch, or do you have to beat the best time on th track to get any recognition?

Arnizipal
22-09-2005, 02:07
I never bother swoop racing in KotOR II as I don't care for the jumping (I much preferred the vanilla flying/dodging of the first game) but I've heard bad things about it. Apparently it is so bugged you can't win any races...

unless you frame them *ahem*

Ohman
22-09-2005, 11:01
Arnizipal is correct. The podracing doesn't work, it's impossible to win the races. Just one of many problems with this game, but I never liked the racing so it never really botherd me.

CELS
22-09-2005, 11:02
The thing is, in the original version of the game, there is a bug. With this bug, if you lose one time, you can't win again in the same arena in the same game, so you have to load every time you lose. If you get the patch for KotoR2 though, this is fixed.

I hear your frustration, but really, you don't need to do much swoop racing in Kotor2. At least I always seemed to have more than enough money.

*has won all the swoop races in Kotor 2* :cool:

Scythe
22-09-2005, 11:07
Funny, I never even bothered to race in the second game. I really didn't like the racing in KotOR 1, so I skipped the races in KotOR 2 without any thought, really. You have to jump in kotor 2 races?

CELS
22-09-2005, 11:21
No, not really. But it can be quite difficult without jumping, so I don't see why you wouldn't want to.

Scythe
22-09-2005, 11:35
Ahh, you can jump to avoid obstacles and such.... Like said, I never raced in KotOR II, so I didn't knew you could jump in the first place....;)

New Cult King
23-09-2005, 01:49
*sigh* I really need ADSL - I've only got a shoddy dialup connection and considering that nearly every game I own requires some kind of 10MB+ patch to work properly...

So frustrating.

I got another question.

I have been to Iziz, and done all the quests there, freed the doctor etc, and I have met the Jedi guy that is hanging out with the Queen. Some soldiers burst in and he ran off, and I haven't been able to trigger another meeting with him - do I have to leave the planet and do some other quests before I can see this guy again? And as for the new fuel source for Telos, do I solve that on another planet as well?

Sorry to be a pain guys, but I'm really enjoying this game apart from the afore-mentioned swoop racing ;)

CELS
23-09-2005, 08:29
Yes, you have to leave the planet ;)

Nazguire
23-09-2005, 09:34
Exsqueeze me,

How do I solve the Telos fuel dilemma? I've talked to Vogga, blew up Mr. G0t0's yacht, talked to Vogga again, and still the crisis according to G0T0 hasn't been solved. So I can't get my cash :eek:

Damn..

Scythe
23-09-2005, 09:43
Hmm, some time ago, but I believe you had to talk to the security officer back on Telos to get your reward, assuming you got the deal of with Vogga; eg he supplies fuel once you got rid of Goto's ship. Not sure entirely tough.

CELS
23-09-2005, 10:00
Note sure about this one. I thought I solved that quest the first time I played the game, but I couldn't solve it the last time I played it... however...

If Vogga has agreed to help with the fuel trade to Telos, I think you need to talk with the police officer on Telos in order to accomplish the quest. Then you will get the reward, and the quest will be complete.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch! :mad:

Nazguire
23-09-2005, 13:28
Note sure about this one. I thought I solved that quest the first time I played the game, but I couldn't solve it the last time I played it... however...

If Vogga has agreed to help with the fuel trade to Telos, I think you need to talk with the police officer on Telos in order to accomplish the quest. Then you will get the reward, and the quest will be complete.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch! :mad:

Excellente!

Cause I kept asking G0T0 for my reward...but said that I wouldn't get one until the issue was resolved...also is there more for his sidequest other than
finding out he is just a droid and an intelligence gone missing?

Scythe
23-09-2005, 16:43
As far as I know not. You can unlock the mentioned dialogue options with G0T0 by gaining some influence on him, but no further benefits.

grey_painter
24-09-2005, 13:08
Sith lords restoration project. (http://www.team-gizka.org/index.html) No one had linked to it yet so thought I'd bring it up. Trying to fill in some of the gaps left due to the game being unfinished at release and they've also got a few bug patchs up. Hoping they find time to finish their work, looks promising.

I've just finished my first play through as a light sider (though I tryed to avoid calling myself a jedi throughout the game). I liked it and thought alot of the gameplay was better than the first, especially the influence system. I agree that the characters didn't seem that awe inspiring though, certainly none of them were a scratch on Jolee Bindo (sp?).

I noticed you got captured alot but it didn't bother me too much, especially since Atton mentions it a few times and one of the cutscenes is actually labelled "Shot down again".:)

Scythe
24-09-2005, 14:58
That's a very promising link. I hope they manage to finish the add-on some day, since it seems to make the ending of the game a lot more interesting...

Nazguire
25-09-2005, 00:17
Hopefully you get the Droid Factory Planet HK-47 talked about, so you can complete his sub-quest

Scythe
25-09-2005, 18:46
And kill of G0T0, he is really one of the most annoying characters at your side. :p

CELS
25-09-2005, 19:51
Agreed! Get Mandalore to kill him away from the space ship, and then the resulting explosion will take them both out! Perfect! :D

I'd like to see this mod finished, but it's too little too late for me. Let's have kotor3.

Arnizipal
25-09-2005, 22:47
Hey, Candarous is one of the coolest characters in the KotOR series.
You can't kill just him off like that. :mad:

CELS
25-09-2005, 22:57
Meh! He's boring!
"I am a warrior! I fight because I like fighting! I am basically an articulate ork in Star Wars. If you like to fight, you will have influence over me, and then I will tell you about this one time when I shot someone. Arrrr!"

You're right though. I'd send Hanharr.

New Cult King
26-09-2005, 03:15
Blast! I sent Vogga to sleep the first time I got the Handmaiden to dance for him, but now that I have the juma juice, and have completed the freighter hijacking mission, I can't get him to go to sleep again, which means I can't get to his stash!

I went and spoke to the TSF officer, Grenn, on Telos after I sorted out everything on Nar Shaddaa, and he didn't even mention it. The entry is gone from my journal though...

And the last thing: I have talked to the Handmaiden about becoming a Jedi, and she has indicated that she's happy to learn from me, but that's as far as I can get. I have gained a little more influence with her since then, as I keep her in my party most of the time, but I still can't 'unlock' her training. I have been to Telos, Dantooine, Onderon/Dxun, and have done all of the main quests on each planet. I have just landed on Korriban, and am worried that time is running out to train her up as a Jedi :(. Any help?

Scythe
26-09-2005, 09:34
Handmaidens jedi training is linked to your personal level. You have to spar 3 times with handmaiden at different levels to train her to jedi. The second sparring match is after you reached level 15. The 3rd is after you reached level 18, if I remember correctly.

Nazguire
26-09-2005, 12:16
Meh! He's boring!
"I am a warrior! I fight because I like fighting! I am basically an articulate ork in Star Wars. If you like to fight, you will have influence over me, and then I will tell you about this one time when I shot someone. Arrrr!"

You're right though. I'd send Hanharr.

Hanharr is worse I believe. Something about a giant teddy that killed his tribe because of his pride and the only way to get influence is to completely and utterly crush his spirit. Boring.

Mandalore...he is really a pointless character in this game. In the first one he was great. In this one he serves no other purpose other than to provide another shooting character.

It would have been much better if he was not a playable character and had a more active role in the storyline than he did.

CELS
26-09-2005, 12:24
It would also have been much better if it actually helped having him around. I mean, he's Mandalore. Shouldn't the Mandalorians be following him and helping me destroy the Sith?

Oh, and did no one find it a bit odd that Mandalore could just stroll around on Onderon without anyone as much as raising an eyebrow? The only thing I can remember is the Master Jedi commenting that I had a strange company. You'd think someone else would at least comment on his presence. Especially when he, the leader of the Mandalorians, is getting personally involved in local law enforcement :wtf:

New Cult King
26-09-2005, 13:02
I am now level 22. Maybe I should check the Handmaiden's info a little closer, see if she is, in fact, multiclassed as a Jedi.

CELS
29-09-2005, 22:26
Hey, I just noticed something potentially cool. In Futurama season 2 episode 5, where Fry, Leela and Bender are searching the sewers for Nibbler. They meet a lot of mutants, one of which is an eloquent Englishman.

He sounds a lot like the Disciple from Kotor2. Check it out and tell me what you think.

PS: Sorry for the thread necromancy ;)

New Cult King
30-09-2005, 01:50
Thread necromancy on this thread is forgivable ;)

However, I've been neglecting Kotor2 for X-Wing Alliance, and I'm not sure that's so forgivable :(

CELS
30-09-2005, 08:13
Well, it must be good then. I'll consider acquiring it :D

Scythe
30-09-2005, 09:36
Going further of topic: X-Wing Alliance is a great game, concidering how old it is. If you liked the original X-wing game, you'll love X-wing alliance. Nice storyline, tons of flyable crafts, good gameplay and solid skirmish mode. The only thing I always regretted about the game was a real mission builder; eg set hyperspace points, timed craft arrivals and courses, that sort of thing.

Still, nothing beats taking down a Star Destroyer in your X-wing...:D

Harky
30-09-2005, 22:19
How the hell did you guys kill Master Vrok on Dantooine!? I'm a lvl 18 Jedi Sentinel, who's hoping to become a Sith and he creams me every time! None of my powers work on him except Force storm and even that he saves and the bastard keeps healing himself! Help PLEASE :(

Inquisitor Maul
30-09-2005, 22:57
Lots of stims and Knight speed did the work for me ;)

I also took a detour and did some other planets before I finished Dantooine

CELS
30-09-2005, 23:23
You got creamed by Master Vrook? :wtf:

Yeah, he's tough. Also, there's the coward's way of running from him and hiding behind a desk. He stops chasing you if you get a certain distance, so you can stim and medi-pack up in peace. It's the coward's way, but you did say you were hoping to become a Sith :)

Arnizipal
01-10-2005, 00:37
Yup, running circles around the room is the way to go.
Good thing there are two flower boxes and a desk. :p

grey_painter
01-10-2005, 12:40
I used the best energy shield I could find and just kept force storming him. Actually energy shields are how I deal with most bosses...

Harky
01-10-2005, 16:24
Yeah I use energy shields too and I tryed running around force storming him but he keeps healing himself. Anybody got any experience with Force Drain, would he resist it?

Lostanddamned
01-10-2005, 19:22
What charachters do you use on Gotos yaucht?

I can never get past the first fight (after the mines)

DantesInferno
01-10-2005, 20:38
I'd try Bao-Dur (if you've trained him to be a jedi by this point. If not, Atton or Visas, depending on the skills they have) and Kreia. I suppose it depends what levels your characters are, but you should have access to enough nasty force powers for Kreia by then, and Bao-Dur isn't bad in combat either once you beef him up.

Harky
01-10-2005, 21:43
I used the blind Sith and Bao-Dur, it's a good idea to get the stun droid power for this mission and Bao-dur is an all round good tech, and his fist attack is a killer against those pesky droids. Also remember to use shields, especially against flame attaks.

CELS
02-10-2005, 03:42
Kreia rocks on that ship, if she has Force Storm. Bao Dur is useful because he is a tech specialist. You need one specialist onboard the ship.

Scythe
02-10-2005, 09:13
Yeah I use energy shields too and I tryed running around force storming him but he keeps healing himself. Anybody got any experience with Force Drain, would he resist it?

There's a limit he can heal. Like Kreia tells you, he is very tough at the start of the battle, but starts to lose momentum later on. The key is to keep running, and keep using shields/medpacks and stimms. He is probably the thoughest Jedi Master around to kill if you're a Sith (especially if you go Consular), and maybe even the most difficult fight in the game, but if you keep moving, you should be able to beat him.

snikch13
03-10-2005, 00:10
kotor2 is better in my opinion, i like starting as a jedi. beyond that, the whole blah blah revan crap (of the 1st) was not excitingly surprising to me, it was cheap. but it is still a good game.

personally, i found kreia to be the best character of the game, after dealing with her and talking with her, i found many aspects of her to be very aynrand/johngalt.

New Cult King
03-10-2005, 05:04
Blast. I just completed Kotor2, and didn't get Bao-Dur or the Handmaiden to start swinging lightsabres. I felt like I spent too much time running around solo or as Mira (:wtf: is that all about anyway?) or an NPC to actually get any quality time in with my party. I did all of Onderon/Dxun with Bao-Dur, and still didn't manage to unlock the Jedi options...

Ah well, there's always a 2nd and 3rd time through ;) I really enjoyed the game, and I want more. MORE!

Scythe
03-10-2005, 09:53
Maybe not the most realistic solution, but if you want influence on character X, save before entering dialogue with some person which you know which gives light or dark side points. Run trough the dialogue, and see if any of your characters reacts (win/lose influence). If they do, a lot of other characters will react to the dialogue as well, so load again, switch NPCs, and run trough the dialogue again, and eventually get the influence you want. Great for getting enough influence on characters like Atton and Bao-Dur to start their Jedi training.

I just think the ending is not as it could have been. The endings for your NPCs could have been worked out a lot better. Hopefully the guys behind that link posted earlier will be able to finish their work to make KotOR 2 complete some day.

Arnizipal
03-10-2005, 16:29
Bao-Dur is the hardest to turn into a Jedi. You'll have to get enough influence with him early in the game and if you mess this up you can forget about training him. It's especially hard if you're going Dark Side as Bao-Dur is a goody-two-shoes. It does make it rewarding to make him 'fall' though. In the end he somewhat resembles Darth Maul. :cool:

New Cult King
04-10-2005, 06:59
Can anyone post (under spoiler tags) what exactly Atton is/was? It got alluded to the whole way through the game, but I never found out exactly what his background was, or why he was sticking around with me...

Scythe
04-10-2005, 08:27
Alright, this is done out of memory from some time ago, so feel free to add anything I forgot / didn't state correctly:

Atton used to hunt down Jedi Knights after the Mandalorian wars. You got that extra willpower by talking to him right? Seemed he was particulary good in countering Jedi, resisting their powers and predicting their moves. At last, he encountered a female Jedi wich tried to convince him to turn away from his path. He killed her, but felt regret and banished himself. Years later he encountered the Excile, and he saw this as a chance to do away with the past completely. Wether you're good or bad, you can then turn him into a rendeemed Jedi or a Dark Side killer, like he was before