PDA

View Full Version : Pre Heresy World Eaters and Truescale Howling Griffons!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

synapse
18-08-2007, 15:33
now working on making my Howling Griffons - start on page 93 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99057&page=93)
Mentor Legionnaire ready - page 96 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99057&page=96)

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/mentors/HPIM3210.jpghttp://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/mentors/HPIM3211.jpg

Finished Shots on Page 10
HQ WIP page 13[/size]
Baneblade WIP starts on page 23
Squad 2 WIP start on page 34
techmarine on page 35
TERMINATOR wip starts on page 36
dread and scouts start on pg 44
Death Guard champion starts page 50
termie chaplain and blood angel painting on page 58
pre-heresy guard and World Eater squad #3 on page 62
started LAND RAIDER SPARTAN page 77
terminator squad finished pics page 90
howling griffon squad modelled - page 94

and for those who wanted a tutorial: its HERE (http://www.minus1mod.com/smf/index.php?topic=39.0).

its on page 25. enjoy

Well, what started life just under two years ago as a terminator blog for my Angels of Censure DIY quickly got warped int a WIP of a pre-heresy crusade army. so I decided to start a new thread for the pre heresy army, and keep the Truescale Terminator one on topic for when i get back to them... eventually (edit: never, by the looks of them :p).

my original idea was for pre-traitor deathguard, as i always loved their colours and fighting style (tough, stoid, vehement) though ive had more than my fair share of Death Guard armies (both pre and post heresy) so, at the last minute, after the off-white was finished on the model and i was about to start applying catachan green to the armour i changed my mind and went for World Eaters (in fact teh pic below is before i changed his power sword to a chain sword):

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0381.jpg

for a while he was left alone, without comrades or foes to kill, but i eventually got round to making a unit for him to accompany, as well as an HQ choice:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM1450-1.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM1443-1.jpg

over time i made the rest of the army and managed to compete in a tournament (coming last place overall and losing the best army award because one of the judges thought the bases werent finished...). the army is bulked up with some imperial army units (the intention was to expand theminto their own army, but that hasnt materialised... yet).

there will be a malcador (the Battlecannon turret one), a world eater baneblade and possibly a guardsman predator.

ill be using the Deamonhunter codex, representing the world eaters with GK terminators and everything else with what it actually is (in official games the malcador will counts as a leman russ)

asmodai_dark86
18-08-2007, 16:02
Could you show us what this looks like next to a normal flammer? It looks very cool and i wouldnt mind steeling this for my space wolves :D

crandall87
18-08-2007, 16:18
wow I cannot wait to see a full squad of these. great conversion

Scanno
18-08-2007, 17:49
Cool more of them :) As said before, love the finished guy, a whole squad will be brilliant, and I like the way of getting them on the field without having to make a whole army of them.

Astador
18-08-2007, 18:49
Can't wait to see more of this army! And hopefully you will do more for your other army! Those terminators were wicked it'd be a shame for them to collect dust! :D

horzaman
18-08-2007, 20:01
Again, the marine looks great!

It reminds me of the inquisitor scale marine in its proportions. I mean this as a big compliment- you have created a model which is far larger than the GW version, but it has the same proportions as the larger and more detailed INQ version.

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and im very tempted to do similier things with my raven guard, so feel flattered ;)

Metal Fingered Villain
18-08-2007, 20:51
Dude, thats the most badass truescale marine I've seen in a while. An army of these doods would be amazing but also very expensive if your working from a terminator base.

synapse
18-08-2007, 22:41
thanks for the comments people, and sorry about the confusion with the threads though i thought it bestto give the world eaters their own thread since the project seems to have taken over everything else ive got going at the moment (and i have quite a few projects going on...)

Could you show us what this looks like next to a normal flammer? It looks very cool and i wouldnt mind steeling this for my space wolves

ill post a pic when i get back to work on the guy tomorrow morning, but as a rough scale, its about the size of a normal dev lascannon, so probably a bit big for a non-truescaled marine!

wow I cannot wait to see a full squad of these. great conversion

thanks! im really hoping theyre imposing when theyre al done, and with that colour scheme they should stand out on a table too - just what i want! :D

Cool more of them. As said before, love the finished guy, a whole squad will be brilliant, and I like the way of getting them on the field without having to make a whole army of them.

yeah, the only way i can make a whole army of these guys is with normal marines (which frankly, imho, isnt doing the models any justice - puny bolters and 3+ save hehe!). only other option is three units of GK termies, and some guardsmen or stormtroopers in troops, though i prefer to keep them a special centerpiece for the army... at the moment ;)

Can't wait to see more of this army! And hopefully you will do more for your other army! Those terminators were wicked it'd be a shame for them to collect dust! :D

well they may be postponed, but they most certainly are not forgotten. theres actually a few reasons ive put the termies on the backburner: 1) im having problems with the so-called baroque colour scheme and getting the dark brown/red highlighted to a suitable 'rust' orange is a lot harder than i thught, and i dont want to screw them up! 2) i really want to practice my GS before moving on to the termie - i really want that unit to be converted/painted to the best of my abilities, and tbh im a bit out of practie at the moment...

Again, the marine looks great! It reminds me of the inquisitor scale marine in its proportions. I mean this as a big compliment- you have created a model which is far larger than the GW version, but it has the same proportions as the larger and more detailed INQ version.

They say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and im very tempted to do similier things with my raven guard, so feel flattered ;)

lol! thanks and i love seeing other truescale marines - doghouses are a big inspiration to me. so please go ahead!

Dude, thats the most badass truescale marine I've seen in a while. An army of these doods would be amazing but also very expensive if your working from a terminator base.

yes they would be, and dont tempt me, if this unit works out ok, i may seriously consider it!

Marovian
19-08-2007, 03:04
Liking this a lot. I reckon that your marine command squads will look fantastic surrounded by little guardsmen.

synapse
19-08-2007, 07:43
one thing i was thinking was to have the Commander have a small 'guardsman' retinue - one holding his personal banner, maybe another struggling to hold on to the marine's chiansword as the power armoured monster surveys the area.

zeek jr.
19-08-2007, 08:43
pritty nice looking Commander although i would like the army alot more without any guard in it and can u also put up some pics of newly painted models

synapse
19-08-2007, 08:51
great avtar Zeek Jr. unfortunately this is the only painted model in this army so far! im painting them as i go alone, and im not sure what im going to dowith the guardsmen yet

hallowed_are_the_ori
19-08-2007, 08:56
I like the idea, and your painting is nice.

synapse
19-08-2007, 09:22
heres the comparison shot that was requested earlier on:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0390.jpg

freebooter
19-08-2007, 09:41
Very very nice mate.

I really like your idea for your flamer and I can see these guys making a mess of anyone they run across even if they are outnumbered 30 to 1... Now these are the true warriors of the Warmaster.

The guardsman looks really nice too. I like the rebreather. Reckon we could get some more pics of these guys?

synapse
19-08-2007, 10:08
The guardsman looks really nice too. I like the rebreather. Reckon we could get some more pics of these guys?

sure thing, ill post some pics when i get back from work to fill in the gap while i get the green stuff on the flamer dude

the varks
19-08-2007, 10:43
those truescale pre heresy world eaters are look damn sexy, cant wait to see the guardsman thou

Marco

synapse
19-08-2007, 20:28
well some bad pics of my LatD (which have nothing do do with this army, but its something to look at as i convert the next marine!)

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0021.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0016.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0014.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0055.jpg

synapse
19-08-2007, 20:31
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0050.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0042.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0047.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0036.jpg

daemon prince is unfinished though i though id post him up too

Astador
19-08-2007, 22:43
Good lord that Prince is amazing! What did you use to build him?

Gearux
20-08-2007, 01:58
wow those are amazing, I'm looking forward to seeing more WE

Metal Fingered Villain
20-08-2007, 09:35
You know, after closer inspection I dont think an army of those marines would be hard at all or expensive to make. The large smooth areas with little to no details allow for a very easy sculpt. You could sculpt up 10 legs and torso's, cast em then just get some termi arms and the heads! It would be perfectly legal to seeing as they are your own sculpts. I say go for it my friend, go for it.

zeek jr.
20-08-2007, 11:14
hey nice work synapse, ur guardmen give me the idea to convert some guard into nurgle deamons that will hang around my deamon prince, who has a massively bloated stomach and half his head blown off

zeek jr.
20-08-2007, 11:17
hey again, did u nurgle base ur guard army

synapse
20-08-2007, 16:49
Good lord that Prince is amazing! What did you use to build him?

thanks! base is artemis from Inquisitor, with lord of change wings and staff. the head is one of the defiler helmets. the armour is cmpletely covered in GS mind you, since artemis is abit thin to use for a daemon prince. theres also a shoulder pad and wooden shield that arent in the pic designed for hom.

You know, after closer inspection I dont think an army of those marines would be hard at all or expensive to make. The large smooth areas with little to no details allow for a very easy sculpt. You could sculpt up 10 legs and torso's, cast em then just get some termi arms and the heads! It would be perfectly legal to seeing as they are your own sculpts. I say go for it my friend, go for it.

i actually have thought of scratchbuilding the torsos and legs (since they might as well be scratch built - theres none of the original torso showing and all that appears of the original legs are the feet and hips, which i can easily make myself) in a few different poses and casting them, though im not impressed by the casting skills of my local caster-man :p besides, id still need the heads, weapons, backpacks and accessories.though ill consider it... :D

hey again, did u nurgle base ur guard army

um, not sure i understand that, but - yeah nurgle rocks! lol

serpentine
20-08-2007, 17:34
.....why do they all have holes in their pants on the knees?

synapse
20-08-2007, 17:41
theyre meant to be rugged, but the way i grouped them for the picture, i ramdomly took all the ones i had with holes in the left knee, so it looks like a squad marking by mistake! not all of them have it, and some have it in elbows, and the other knee. it just turned out like that.. .wierd!

doghouse
20-08-2007, 18:26
That WE is awesome mate! I'm a massive fan of truescale stuff and he's superb.
Sculpt the torso, it's what I did with my alpha legion astartes and it's just as easy as the technique you're using now.
I'll PM you a picture to show you what I mean (I don't want to post it here as I don't approve of thread jackiing :) ).
Flamer looks great as well, keep at it mate I want to see an entire Legion of these guys! :)

synapse
20-08-2007, 18:29
thanks! its great to have your approval! im a big fan of your marines - looking forward to that PM!

and a legion seems a bit ambitious for now! ill stick with the squad... for the time being :p

Edit: i mistook your avatar for mine for a second there :p

synapse
20-08-2007, 19:01
this is what ive come up with so far -

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0406.jpg

i cannot bring the left arm higher, though i like the pose. the head will be higher on the finished model and the shoulderpads wont look as big, and also the legs will be a lot thinkcer, like the finished one.

Ventris_Fellstorm
20-08-2007, 19:11
I just love your Marines. It always makes me so happy to see someone making Marines the way they should be...bigger :D.

Keep it up!

-:D

Astador
20-08-2007, 20:38
Cool man! Keep it up!

Marovian
20-08-2007, 20:45
Loving that flamer conversion, he looks like one evil dud. In the name of the Emperor of course.

synapse
20-08-2007, 20:48
In the name of the Emperor of course.

or maybe khorne... :skull:

:p

Mrlemonjelly
21-08-2007, 11:53
Looking good. The only part I can fault is the handle for the left hand - the plasticard bit needs to be more bulky.

Also, I hope you're going to sculpt a pilot flame, your models certainly deserve that much detail :)

synapse
21-08-2007, 21:08
rightly spotted on the handle - its not done yet! in fact the arms and head arent even glued to the body yet!

been having a quick look through my horus heresy artbook and got some inspiration for the HQ - he's gonna have a big animalpelt (SW and LW style - eat that wolfy people! ) over his back and houlders, which will make him feel a bit more warriory and feral (and a lot bigger! i like him already).

also, sicne the wolrd eaters come from a gladiatorial background, i was thinking of how i can put that into the models. things like nets, tridents and gladiatory weapons seem a bit too blatant and OTT, but maybe theres something else i can do? ... like maybe a caption on the HQ's base (or banner ) that reads: are you not entertained?!

lol! sorry

doghouse
21-08-2007, 21:15
Wow he looks great mate! Nice incorporation of the back pack as well, I'm guessing that the hose that runs from the gauntlet runs to the pack?
Keep it up mate, these guys are going to be great!

Edit: i mistook your avatar for mine for a second there :p

No worries! :)
That's my first attempt at truescaling using a similar process to your own and also in MkIV armour but he's Alpha Legion instead. :)

synapse
21-08-2007, 21:23
Nice incorporation of the back pack as well, I'm guessing that the hose that runs from the gauntlet runs to the pack?

um... it will now! lol :p the main hose will be the standard 4-pipe multimelta one that links to the space on the bottom of the gun, but i can easily cut the arm pipe and bend it to reach into the backpack!

stolen!

doghouse
21-08-2007, 21:42
Ah, I see it now just below his right gauntlet! :)

Are you going to incorporate any other elements of the Legion into the LatD force?

synapse
21-08-2007, 22:01
Are you going to incorporate any other elements of the Legion into the LatD force?

well the list im actually gonna be using is Daemonhunters - representing these marines with teh GK terminator rules,

though i can just as easily use LatD, though since im making them as pre heresy i thought id stick to an imperial list (and im hoping to use them at the Maltese nationals in febuary, so unfortunately LatD are out of the question)

i was toying with making some jetbikes (using the air intake from the falcon kit as inspiration... yeah, i know, my mind works strangely!). or perhaps a scratchbuilt pre-heresy style dread, though ive no concrete plans beyond this squad and HQ.. .for the time being!

doghouse
21-08-2007, 22:17
Daemonhunters definately sounds like your best bet mate and I'd really like the sound of those jet-bikes.

synapse
21-08-2007, 22:19
thing with the jetbikes, is o have nothing to represent them with.

rough riders would be a joke! and marine bikes would be puny next to the grey knight terminators. maybe ill just make them for the fun of it an make my own rules for friendly games...

or counts as landspeeders? lol!

Colonel Stagler
21-08-2007, 23:23
You could take Jetbikes as a landspeeder squadron with assault cannon and stuff :)
Stagler Out

Lyquis
22-08-2007, 14:26
Great job on the marines, they look ace.

You could take Jetbikes as a landspeeder squadron with assault cannon and stuff :)
Stagler Out

That's a great idea, you could have 3 truescale marines riding jetbikes armed with assault cannons and use them as landspeeders. That would look awesome.

synapse
22-08-2007, 14:36
and suitably huge :D melikes

ill keep those in mind

though asscans are post heresy so ill have to counts as, or just use the standard pre heresy pattern (plasma cannon/heavy bolter, or multimelta/heavy flamer, iirc) and count the plasma cannon as an assault cannon.

Colonel Stagler
22-08-2007, 14:55
you could mount twin autocannon n call that a ass cannon, seems suitable enough, just a suggestion :)
Stagler Out

Lyquis
22-08-2007, 15:09
Short barreled autocannons with armor penetrating rounds.:)

Marovian
22-08-2007, 15:19
Like the sounds of three huge marines on jet packs, but I can imagine that's a hell of a lot of work

synapse
22-08-2007, 15:23
its jet bikes, snd yes they will be hard work... but well worth it :p

Ventris_Fellstorm
22-08-2007, 17:12
its jet bikes, snd yes they will be hard work... but well worth it :p

Deffinitely...hard work and well worth it I means:D

Keep it commin'!

synapse
22-08-2007, 23:20
i done some sketches earlier on today, and theyre gona have to be pretty big to realisticly carry one of those marines, so using landspeeder rules is not too far off... if anything theyre not tough enough, though i guess armour value 10 equaters to T6

Marovian
23-08-2007, 01:09
I quite clearly need to stop posting just after night shifts. I knew you meant jet bikes and not jet packs, sorry!

MF3000
23-08-2007, 07:01
Goddang... I say again, that is one impressive marine... and your traitor guards look totally in character.

sj

synapse
23-08-2007, 10:08
quick progress report on marine #3

i make use of doghouses suggestio nfor the HQ world eater and will scratchbuild the torso (maybe the legs, if im feeling confident enough - i might as well, the amount of GS and BS work i have to do on them). The HQ will have MK II style banded shoulder pads and a big lion pelt on his back, since i love sculpting fur and i thought the addition of a lion pelt is flavourful (you know, what with roman gladiators fighting lions in the arena and all)

im making marines #2 and 3 together and will do the same ith #4 and 5.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1583/hpim0419hl6.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8326/hpim0420qo9.jpg

im actually really pleased with the running pose (especially from the back) which is not an easy thing to do using terminator legs as a base

as always, he looks a bit disproportionate at this point, what with his chest all tiny and the pads looking so huge, but the addition of GS on the chest and the backpack really do balance the model out more.

his right hand will be carrying a dismembered head by the hair, and his bolter will be handing from his lef shoulder by the strap.

the white thing on the base is a crater, but it doesnt show up very well in the pics

MF3000
23-08-2007, 11:07
Dude, that is something to be very pleased with!

sj

Ventris_Fellstorm
23-08-2007, 14:15
Dude, that is something to be very pleased with!

sj

Pretty much what I was going to say:D

Asi the Red
24-08-2007, 02:57
Hey ya'.

These are amazing!
I will continue to follow this with interest.

zeek jr.
24-08-2007, 05:11
hey it would be awsome if u could chuck up some pics of painted marines

synapse
24-08-2007, 07:53
hey it would be awsome if u could chuck up some pics of painted marines

i would if i had any to show! though my last army was sold after the last tournament i used it in, and i have no pics of it. my current army (a DIY chapter: the angels of censure) are WIP at the moment. though ill post up some bad pics i took a few weeks ago of them. and yes they are truescale, though not as extreme as the world eater.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0107.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0108.jpg

Marovian
24-08-2007, 10:46
I like the running guy a lot, looks real good.

Merceus
24-08-2007, 11:05
Do you do anything to the back packs before you put them on? It just feels like they would look a bit small is all... excellent work as well, really well done :D

synapse
24-08-2007, 11:09
theres a thin layer of .04 plasticard between the back and backpack, and theyre glued slightly higher onto the back than normal, though thats all.

theyre usually pretty small in the artwork, so i didnt bother do anything. its mostly the legs that are huge in the artwork that inspired me, so i kept it at that

clandestine
24-08-2007, 21:08
damn those are lovely! its making me want to do a preheresy emporer's children army to that scale of just marines, and with fulgrim being even bigger. looks awesome, and i cant wait to see how the rest turn out!

synapse
28-08-2007, 00:15
damn those are lovely! its making me want to do a preheresy emporer's children army to that scale of just marines, and with fulgrim being even bigger.

pre heresy emperors children would be nice, since they have the aquila on their chest. but my fave traitor pre-heresy marines would have to be thousand sons. i just love their armour and all the bling on it - ill probably make one once this unit is finished.

Update!
well heres pics of marines #2 and #3 (Mrs flamey and runney, for now), before i slap some paint onto them

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0422.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0423.jpg

im pleased with the GS. the legs on these came a lot better than the first one, though it may not show in the pics. the only problem i have now is to keep the 'free hand' details (like the piping on the chest) consistent from model to model, which shouldnt be too hard.

all thats left is to add the piping connecting the flamer to the backpack, though i need to paint the guys chest first (ill take the arm off for painting, reattach and then add the piping. once thats done ill be able to bulk out the handle and flamer connection.

mr stabby also needs a bolter

Catferret
28-08-2007, 07:19
Very nice Synapse. The enlarged Chainsword looks good.

Ventris_Fellstorm
28-08-2007, 10:24
Very nice...just brilliant. I love the GS work on 'em.
Giving me some ideas...:rolleyes:

Anyway: keep up the good work!

Light of the Emperor
28-08-2007, 10:32
Those guys are massive! I'd hate to see them coming my way.

Captain Ardias
28-08-2007, 10:47
I love them, their the best true scale marines I've ever seen. I might try to make some like these myself using this method, if you don't mind.
And btw where's that flamer from?

Mrlemonjelly
28-08-2007, 11:01
Mrs flamey and runney

It makes me proud to see a Warseer user use correct grammar despite the fact it could be misread.

Oh and they're looking excellent, by the way.

synapse
28-08-2007, 11:18
I love them, their the best true scale marines I've ever seen. I might try to make some like these myself using this method, if you don't mind.
And btw where's that flamer from?

sure knock yourself out! but dont enter into such a project with a light heart, its a pretty timeconsuming thing to make a whole army of these guys!

'flamer' is a sentinel heavy flamer, which will use incinerator rules :eek:

It makes me proud to see a Warseer user use correct grammar despite the fact it could be misread.

lol! thanks,wasnt sure, but i had a feeling that was right :p

ok, slight, mostly inconsequential update:

Mr stabby has been gifted a bolter, hanging from a strap on his right shoulder

also:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0425.jpg

bases for the rest of the squad

im thinking of making an army display base for the whole army when its done, so itll hae to match up with the bases... a bit of a hassle, but it will ad much to the overall feel of the army.

Wayfarer
28-08-2007, 13:40
It's projects like these that always make me want to start up a heresy era army of my own. I like your take on true-scaling and your work is very good. My only real criticism is that they still look a bit too much like terminators. I suppose though that that is more of a preference thing.

Metal Fingered Villain
28-08-2007, 17:47
Man those new recruits look sick! Now what, only uhhh 27 or soo more to go?

synapse
29-08-2007, 12:41
Man those new recruits look sick! Now what, only uhhh 27 or soo more to go?

lol! well theres only going to be a unit of 5 + HQ for now, though ill probably make another 5 in the near future. who knows. maybe ill make a whole army of them within the year with truescale jetbikes, a baneblade and pre-heresy style dreadnoughts :p

who knows ;)

Merceus
Now Dreadnoughts I would love to see... the old looking ones and just so funny lookin... all round and like a tin o' beans :p

cant wait to see more :D

Edit: I just noticed their feet... are they Termie or tactical feet?

synapse
Edit: I just noticed their feet... are they Termie or tactical feet?

Termie feet. amnd i think a pre-heresy dread done properly weill look good. i wouldnt put too much faith in the HH pics - most of them are pretty bad

And without further ado: marines #4 and #5 (aka mrs meltabomb and mr running) minus green stuff
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0454.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0455.jpg

mr meltabomb has lost his helmet which lies on the ground at his feet as he lobs a meltabombat the guy who broke his visor (bad move, my friend).

these two were probably the most fiddly of the conversions yet with the legs on each of them amounting to no less than 19 pieces each (thats just the legs). i like how they came but im not as impressed as the previous 3, though ill reserve judgement until the GS is applied.

marine #5(aka mr running's) helmet should be a lot higher than that on the model, i just rested the helmet in the slot for the sake of a more complete photo (kinda sad considering hes about 50% ready and still missing his bolter :p

marine #4 needs his torso shifting up a fraction of a mm, sicne i think hes too stunty.

of course they both still need the chain axe blades. which i hope are in the post on their way to me now..

of course the pics require me to explain how much better and more dynamic they look in the 'flesh', i know i say this every time, but they really are. a 360 degree view of mr runny (not as in puh puh runny, but movement runny, you dirty minded people) will really show his cool pose

painting comences early next week after the GS is applied to #4 and #5 aqnd all details fixed up, when i get some time off. so i should get the unit doe by second week of september... hopefully :p

anywho, i think ive decided to enter the british golden demon next year with a unit of pre heresy thousand sons, made in this method on a scenic base. il lreally apply the best of my as yet dubious talents to them, both in terms of modelling and painting. i decided on thousand sons because they ahve the most scope for peronalisation on the armour, though i may be tempted to do space wolfs, the idea being i want models which i can lavish detail on, so nothing like boring smurfs. though i think the striking clours of the thousand sons have me convinced (though im open to persuasion).

thoughts, comments and ideas anyone?

Marovian
Looking pretty sweet if I may say. Those are some huge marines.

Ventris_Fellstorm
You just keep on amazing me! Amazing...

synapse
thanks guys :) i hope i can do them justice with my painting

now that im getting the hang of the marines :p i need to start worrying about the guardsmen:

ill be using vostroyan bodies, with the fur hats cut off the non command and sergeant models and replaced with a GS helmet. also their lasguns will be slowly shaved and sanded off and repalced with the FW traitor autohuns. a task im not looking forward to, but it will create a distinctive pre-heresy i look i think

Metal Fingered Villain
Can't wait to see those guardsmen synapse, the two new marines are looking very nice, what are those weapons going to be in their hands I think maces would be suitably sweet.

Merceus
So far as I can tell they're chainaxes in their hands...

Am I right? Chainaxes are sweet... even if they dont have rules anymore...

Edit: Cheap shot MFV :p :D

synapse
29-08-2007, 19:57
that went over my head...

yeah theyre world eaters so chainaxes, when i get the bits

Merceus
29-08-2007, 20:05
Don't worry Synapse, tis naught to do with ye :)

Colonel Stagler
30-08-2007, 13:18
Synapse if you felt up to it, you could cast up some legs, some torsos and make an entire army of them, instead of just using a squad or two :)
Just a suggestion :)

synapse
30-08-2007, 17:56
Synapse if you felt up to it, you could cast up some legs, some torsos and make an entire army of them, instead of just using a squad or two :)
Just a suggestion :)

i was thinking of that. problem is ill still need to buy arms for them, and unless i get bitz, ill have to buy whole termies. and im not too keen on home-cast lead bitz. quality is pretty meh, and id rather have unique poses from model to model, though i am thinking of it. itll make an army doable, and id loveto see an army of these guys :p

Colonel Stagler
30-08-2007, 21:33
yeah, an army of truescale marines would make any opponent quake in fear at the sight of huge marines that could physically go landraider tipping.
Stagler out

synapse
30-08-2007, 23:01
unfortunately, their rules tend to suggest otherwise, which is one thing thats puttign me off - its a waste of time haveing big models if im stuck with the crappy 4/4/4/4/1/4/1/8 profile

maybe ive found a use for the movie marine rules after all :p

Astador
30-08-2007, 23:51
Hey Synapse! They look great! I just thought I would pass this to you!
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=115207

freebooter
31-08-2007, 01:05
Wow...

I'm away for a week or so and so much progress is made...

Now you've made me make a stupid decision...
My Skitarii are getting truescale Deathwatch marines.

Damn you :)

synapse
31-08-2007, 07:40
Hey Synapse! They look great! I just thought I would pass this to you!
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=115207

Now you've made me make a stupid decision...
My Skitarii are getting truescale Deathwatch marines.

Damn you :)

may i say a big Very Sexy to both those replies :p

those rules look really cool, just what i was looking for. thanks Astador

and those deathwatch will look great at that scale. very cool. you must post pics when you make them!

crandall87
02-09-2007, 12:25
I can't wait until you start the HQ. Do you have any ideas on what to use as chainswords coz I want some large ones for termis and the only one I can really find is the one for Devotee Malicant from Inq.

Astador
02-09-2007, 15:40
may i say a big Very Sexy to both those replies :p

those rules look really cool, just what i was looking for. thanks Astador

and those deathwatch will look great at that scale. very cool. you must post pics when you make them!

The rules are fun to play with and maybe it will inspire you to paint Kharn! :D

Keep up the good work mate!

synapse
02-09-2007, 18:18
I can't wait until you start the HQ. Do you have any ideas on what to use as chainswords coz I want some large ones for termis and the only one I can really find is the one for Devotee Malicant from Inq.

i cut the top off one chainsword and stick half the blade of another on the top of it to make on thats 0.5 times bigger than anormal one. i add a strip of plasticard to the back to bulk it out a bit and fill in the gaps with greenstuff. the one model i have armed with a chainsword was made that wasy

as to the HQ, i done a few sketches for him and have a good idea of what i want. hes gonna have a special pole weapon and a big lion pelt on his back (a little tie in to the WE's gladiatorial history - ie: roman gladiators fought lions. can you make the link :p) hell be in iron armour.

synapse
03-09-2007, 19:57
well... last update before the final paint work is done (im gonna try contain myself while i paint them, but ill probably end up posting half a dozen updates every day )

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0460.jpg
the new guys, GSed and ready to go (i know the meltabomb one is still missing his bolter - hel get it tomorrow, and its strap will be a chain). new guys are still missing chain axe heasd - im still waiting for them to arrive Grr... so, no theyre not power maul! what self respecting world eater would have a maul?!

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0459.jpg
a somewhat ragtag shot of the five marines.

C&C?

Merceus
03-09-2007, 20:12
That is awesome, if a bit blurry... well done mate, cant wait to see them all painted up :D

Rogue Trader
03-09-2007, 20:49
really nice work, i am finding it so hard to resist trying these for myself, they really appeal to me :D

crandall87
03-09-2007, 21:09
They look great. I know what you mean about painting. I could model all day every day until I die but I find it so hard to pick up a paint brush. However you must get these painted. They are so good.

Inquisitor Konig
03-09-2007, 22:12
I have a friend who is making a HH era Alpha Legion army but refuses to use that style of bolter... what do you think about it?

Mrlemonjelly
03-09-2007, 23:40
When they're painted up (or before), can I request a picture of them fighting some tyranids or orks please? :)

The Judge
03-09-2007, 23:49
I LOVE this stuff.

Keep going! An army would be amazing!

Ventris_Fellstorm
04-09-2007, 13:40
I LOVE this stuff.

Can't possibly agree more.

Astador
04-09-2007, 13:46
Looking good mate! keep it up!

Valo
04-09-2007, 14:02
Man am I ever jealous,I wish I had that skill with green stuff,I've been complaining for years how marines arent to scale!

synapse
04-09-2007, 16:50
They look great. I know what you mean about painting. I could model all day every day until I die but I find it so hard to pick up a paint brush. However you must get these painted. They are so good.

thanks, and i agree with you 100% i could literally convert and GS models until my finger are red raw, but once it comes down to painting something ive already completed a test model for (as is the case with these World Eaters) i get really nervous! dont worry, ill get these done. im writing an artice on how they were made for an ezine and the deadlines end of september... so i have to! :D

I have a friend who is making a HH era Alpha Legion army but refuses to use that style of bolter... what do you think about it?

you meanthe ones with the ammo case on the front? tbh, i normally wouldnt be arsed to. im not that anal about pre heresy stuff being bang spot on (see the link with arsed and anal, good huh? :P), though i knew the preheresy crowd would be up in arms if i used current godwyn bolters so cooked up a quick conversion. its pretty easy to do - just cut the case off, stick it on the front and fill the gap with GS and paint it leather, to represent an old skool strap.

When they're painted up (or before), can I request a picture of them fighting some tyranids or orks please? :)

tyrainds werent around pre heresy, though ill bend time and swarm some hormies around these guys only due to lack of ork models :p

I LOVE this stuff.

thanks, and the more time i spend on them ,the more i want to make an army ! though the thing that puts me off is the rules - at the most i can have three units of these guys (unless its apocalypse, where FOC goes out the window) sicne ill be using grey knight terminator rules to represent them, and imperial guardsmen to count as the imperial army.

cant wait to get the plastic baneblade and World Eaterify it....

jasevx
04-09-2007, 16:54
Genestealers were around preheresy, just didn't no what they were.

Great work so far!

synapse
04-09-2007, 18:07
QFT... shame i have none :p

silveryfox
04-09-2007, 19:31
Damn are they cool...

synapse
04-09-2007, 19:56
quick update - my chainaxes and a bunch of new chaos bits arived today. ive gluued up the weapons and replaced the sergeants home-made power sword with a double length ork chainsword:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0461.jpg

still a bit rough, but some GS to fill in the gap will finish it off nicely. not sure that hilt/pommel combo looks right with the blade though im not too bothered, unless someone can suggest anything

Catferret
04-09-2007, 20:13
It needs a handguard. It may help to balance out the size a little. Grip should be ok though.

synapse
04-09-2007, 20:18
strip of plasticard? only hes painted and i dont want to 'subject' him to too much conversions at this stage. ive already added a strap to the bolter and changed his cc weapon... dont want to have to touch up the whole thing

though i agree, its needs somethin to balance oit the blade

thanks

Lord Commander Eidolon
05-09-2007, 11:23
bloody brilliant, what ezine is the article going to be in ? because ill want it to do a true scale iron hands legion

Slobomeister
05-09-2007, 15:28
Awsome. No need to say more...

synapse
05-09-2007, 16:40
bloody brilliant, what ezine is the article going to be in ? because ill want it to do a true scale iron hands legion

its from another forum, not sure if allowed to mention it, but ill post up links to the article once its done ;)

synapse
05-09-2007, 16:51
quick update with the HQ's base:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0469.jpghttp://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0468.jpg

and yes, its a 60mm one :o the left pic is the front view (note the rivets on the side)

boring WIP shots of the unit (theyre more advanced than this - all white and blue basecoated. damn, it took 90 minutes each just to apply 2 coats of white... my back is killing me)

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0465crop.jpg

jasevx
05-09-2007, 16:55
i am really loving these, i just aint got the patience to do something similar

Thoth62
05-09-2007, 17:52
I'm loving the squad so far, especially the Flamer. Nice work. How long does it typically take you to do the white? I'm only asking because you appear to be starting with a black basecoat.

What's your secret?

synapse
05-09-2007, 17:58
astronomicon grey! its amazing. just make sure you water it down about 3 parts water to 1 part grey and keep on mixing the paint since the pigment and fixer separate from each other in a matter of minutes.

its mostly taken me a long time to do the white since im trying to be extra careful with the armour, especially on the not-to-flat areas where i GSed tye armour

ghostmaker12
05-09-2007, 18:04
these are absolutely AMAZING! I dont think i can say much more. But i really like the use of the ork chain axe. it looks very world-eater like.

Maynard
05-09-2007, 18:11
Frickin class!! The helmetless guy has to be my favourite but they all look so vicious!! Keep up the good work

Aflo
05-09-2007, 19:25
These are awesome. I have the biggest urge to do some true scale, pre-heresy Salamanders right now...

yukisaiko
05-09-2007, 21:39
Very cool. NOw that they're primed though, I need to ask, did you clean the mold lines, as that would ruin an otherwise excellent job.

Aquilla
05-09-2007, 22:08
Looking good so far synapse!
Love the idea of the heavy flamer! If only marines could actually get one. What stats do you use for it? MultiMelta?

Esinhorn
05-09-2007, 22:22
Your work is top-notch.
I love to see the Pre-Heresy fever catching.

MrInsomniac
06-09-2007, 01:42
You really do make it look so easy! I got inspired and decided to start making one myslef, then realised it was going to take MUCH longer than I thought. That and I really need to improve my sculpting ability.

Top notch stuff, they look awesome!

Esinhorn
06-09-2007, 02:04
These guys are giving me the inspiration to add a squad of World Eater Beserkers to my Sons of Horus army

Romanus
06-09-2007, 02:30
Inspiring work ther mate keep it up. May just have to start a Death Guard pre-heresy.

Cheers, Rom

synapse
06-09-2007, 07:54
thanks everyone for the replies, having people like them, really gives me the urge to try do abetter job on them than i otherwise would have!

these are absolutely AMAZING! I dont think i can say much more. But i really like the use of the ork chain axe. it looks very world-eater like.

nice to see you dont think its too much!

Frickin class!! The helmetless guy has to be my favourite but they all look so vicious!! Keep up the good work

you ahve no idea how relieved that makes me feel, since when making him i wasnt sure if he'd fit in - he actually turned out a bit smaller than the others since hes the only one standing on both legs, though its good too see his size hasnt made him less sexy :p

These are awesome. I have the biggest urge to do some true scale, pre-heresy Salamanders right now...

you should go for it, i love the slamander colours! a salamander with that flamer would be very in character

Very cool. NOw that they're primed though, I need to ask, did you clean the mold lines, as that would ruin an otherwise excellent job.

Lol! do you think im that stupid (goes and checks models for mould lines...). theyre all gone!

Looking good so far synapse!
Love the idea of the heavy flamer! If only marines could actually get one. What stats do you use for it? MultiMelta?

well since the marins are so big i thought the sentinel heavy flamer would be great to represent a flamer.

since im using Grey Knight Terminator rules for them (thats right GK TERMINATORS - you wouldnt think id waste great big models like this with normal marine rules, would you?!) ill be using the incinerator rules ,which are impressive enough i think, and even better than a heavy flamer

Inspiring work ther mate keep it up. May just have to start a Death Guard pre-heresy.

Cheers, Rom

DG were a very very close second choice for the colour scheme (in which case i would have made an on the shoulder heavy bolter out of a vehicle HB instead of the flamer), though i already have a chaos DG army painted up in pre heresy colours, so wanted to try out something different!

thansk for the comments everyone!

sheep
06-09-2007, 08:46
Well what to say, just read throught the whole thread, mighty impressive work, inspirational.

If i didn't have projects coming out of my ears i'd be tempted to give it a go (very tempted)

Well done, keep it up.

Cheers

Sheep

floyd pinkerton
06-09-2007, 22:29
Just read the whole thread. This deserves my post #300 ;)

Keep up the ace work man, I'm loving all of them, though particularly the flamer and the first guy you did.

Thoth62
06-09-2007, 22:48
Grey Knights! Heresy! :p

Looking good. Either a Heavy Flamer or an incinerator would be the only way to represent such an amazing peice of pyrotechnic equipment anyways. Nice work.

Iacton Qruze
07-09-2007, 16:38
I never thought of using them as Daemon Hunters.

I might have to steal this idea; I'll pick a different legion, though :D

fantastic job on these guys. every bit of it is awesome.

synapse
08-09-2007, 09:26
I never thought of using them as Daemon Hunters.

I might have to steal this idea; I'll pick a different legion, though :D

fantastic job on these guys. every bit of it is awesome.

Any idea on the legion?

quick update on Varren:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0473.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0471.jpg
compare with the sketch, and hes pretty much exactly the same pose. now to start the hard work... :(

MF3000
08-09-2007, 10:30
Wow... that is an impressive shot of the mini, and that mini is impressive too!

sj

Merceus
08-09-2007, 11:14
I... I can't think of anything to say... it's just too uber-awesomeness!!! This has inspired me to make a true-scale chaos marine of my own (but only one... looks like a LOT of work)... Can't wait to see it all finished, tis excellent :D

Negrodamus
08-09-2007, 11:23
totally badass

Rogue Trader
08-09-2007, 12:27
now he looks very cool, i soooooooooooo need to try these :D :D

doghouse
08-09-2007, 13:51
Fantastic work on Captain Varren (my favourite World Eaters character), the pose is very nice and gives him bucket loads of character. :)

synapse
08-09-2007, 14:20
Fantastic work on Captain Varren (my favourite World Eaters character), the pose is very nice and gives him bucket loads of character. :)

thanks! though now i look at the face im wondering if its too evil looking for the one that remained loyal? naa, its not like WE were 'nice' when they were loyal!

doghouse
08-09-2007, 14:23
The head looks fine mate, it captures their brutality perfectly. :)
Is it the plastic devastor sergeant head?

synapse
08-09-2007, 14:41
actually its the new chaos terminator lord one - brilliant kit with some great weapons (i love the twin chainfist), and the head is really cool.

Light of the Emperor
08-09-2007, 16:51
Well done synapse! I really like Varren and the WIP shot sheds some light on the truescale effect. Can't wait to see more.

Oldguny
08-09-2007, 17:30
This guys are amasing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shorty McShortshort
08-09-2007, 21:23
Really Really good to see someone else doing some truscale marines! reaaly liking the world eaters dude!

Merceus
08-09-2007, 21:41
On a sort of On/Off note... do you think it is possible to use the Chaos Termie Lord kit to make something like this? Just the one you know... and be able to retain the details on the legs and maybe even body?

shaw3029
09-09-2007, 01:07
Amazing! Cant wait to see the squad finished.

Im working a pre heresy Imperial Fist army at the moment, not in true scale though.

These guys really are great, well done.

Thanks

synapse
09-09-2007, 07:54
Well done synapse! I really like Varren and the WIP shot sheds some light on the truescale effect. Can't wait to see more.

Nooo! giving away trade secrets... not good ;)

On a sort of On/Off note... do you think it is possible to use the Chaos Termie Lord kit to make something like this? Just the one you know... and be able to retain the details on the legs and maybe even body?

dont think so, since i have to slice both the thigh and shin to extend them and the thigh needs to be completely covered in GS i bulk it out, as does the shin, which also needs an extra layer of GS on the front as the ablative armour, so unfortunately, not, at least not using the method im currently using and the chest is pretty much scratchbuilt so wouldnt work either.

the only bits i can use from the chaos lord kit without having to cover up are the shoulders, arms and heads (and im thinking of making a chaplain using one of the skull chaos terminator shoulders)

synapse
09-09-2007, 10:02
not an update per se, but rather just showing you what im getting up to between basecoats of whit on the World Eaters (the white is about half done now. hopefully, fingers crossed, it shoul be done late, late, tonight :()

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0481.jpg
the sexy FW tau commander battlesuit. ive had it for almost a year now, so thought id paint it up to break the monotony on the World Eaters. base is gonna be arctic, and tau details (barcodes etc) will be in white or Metal (like the hips)

MF3000
09-09-2007, 10:07
Oh wow, that's a dainty pose... fantastic.

sj

doghouse
09-09-2007, 10:15
Looks good mate, very dynamic! :)

Savior Angel
09-09-2007, 14:54
WOW... I think your marines are the true size of what they are meant to be. Compared to that traitor guard in your other post. Good Luck! I would love to see a Dreadnought... oh jebus... that'd be awesome!

synapse
09-09-2007, 14:56
im planning a dred though it will be based on the pr heresy HH version, so needs a lot of planning!

crandall87
09-09-2007, 15:45
sounds very promising. I'm guessing the dread will be huge

synapse
09-09-2007, 15:47
not really, since pre heresy dreads werent that big, and its only the amrines themselves who need truescaling. though it will be bigger than the normal one

synapse
09-09-2007, 18:52
todays progress:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0488.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0489.jpg

white is done, apart from some ful lskull withe highlights around eges and helmet detail after the eyes are done.

should get the blue and eyes done tomorrow which just laves the details and bases

synapse
10-09-2007, 15:18
ok some more pics of progress, but first, a WIP of the Tau suit:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0505.jpg

now to some deatils on the World Eaters. the blue is done, apart from the final highlight which i always add last thing.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0497.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0493.jpg

Inquisitor D'selinas
10-09-2007, 15:37
Those World Eaters are astonishing :eek: The white in particular is superbly painted.
Liking the pose and colours so far on the Tau suit too.

Top Stuff!

Marovian
10-09-2007, 15:52
Loving the world eaters, they are fantastic.

Are you keeping with just a few or do you think a whole army of them might be viable?

Thoth62
10-09-2007, 16:55
The marines are looking sweet.

I also like the tau suit, and if I may give an opinion, the markings would probably look better in white, as opposed to metal.

Keep up the fantastic work!

sarabando
10-09-2007, 17:08
i think that you need somthing to break up the white on the WE its too clean i mean these guys are assaulting through a ruined city by the look of it weres the blood/mub/guts/dust ect ect there fantastic looking i love em but there toooooo clleeeeaaaannn.

synapse
10-09-2007, 17:57
Loving the world eaters, they are fantastic.

Are you keeping with just a few or do you think a whole army of them might be viable?

just these 5 + the HQ for now. ill also make 3 jetbike (god knows how..) and a pre heresy dread. ill most likely make another 5, possibly seein if i can cast the scratchbuilt parts

The marines are looking sweet.

I also like the tau suit, and if I may give an opinion, the markings would probably look better in white, as opposed to metal.

Keep up the fantastic work!

the details, like barcodes etc, will be in white, like the tau icon on the chest. tings like the engines, part of the backs of the legs will be metal. base will be white to complement the details

i think that you need somthing to break up the white on the WE its too clean i mean these guys are assaulting through a ruined city by the look of it weres the blood/mub/guts/dust ect ect there fantastic looking i love em but there toooooo clleeeeaaaannn.

lol! youre right. though i generally weather the models after i paint them. theyll be a bit chipped, muddy towards the bottom of the legs/feet and splattered in blood (especially the sarge and his uber big weapon and the guy holding the head. the flamer dude will be scorched too.

Thoth62
10-09-2007, 18:38
Sounds good. I can't wait to see the finished product.

synapse
11-09-2007, 07:25
you asked for gore...

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0511.jpg

too much? too little? well they are World Eaters after all!

theyve been dirtied up and gored up too, though the dirt doesnt show up on the sarge much. the flamer
dude is covered in black (soot from the flamer) while the chainaxe guys are full of blood splatters. im actually really pleased with the dirt on them, though im worried the blood may be a bit too much since they are gaming miniatures after all.

ill post pics when theyre done, which shouldnt be too long now.

C&C most appreceated, especially regarding the gore and dirt, thanks!

jasevx
11-09-2007, 08:22
its about right seeing hes got an uber chainsword!

MF3000
11-09-2007, 08:29
Damn that's a big chainsword!

sj

sarabando
11-09-2007, 09:29
now thats WIN!

Rogue Trader
11-09-2007, 11:16
oooooooooooooo synapse, i just licked my monitor, he looks very nice and i like the gore, great job :D :D

Ventris_Fellstorm
11-09-2007, 14:22
Nice one with the gore. Deffinitely not too much. Can't wait to see the others.

Marovian
11-09-2007, 14:35
That guy looks just like he's wading across the battlefield despatching anyone stupid enough to get in his way.

Stunning work.

Ross
11-09-2007, 14:47
Sweet work!! The gore and soot really breaks up the standard marine look. Adds a story to the model, he's not just 'one of the boys.'

Thoth62
11-09-2007, 15:01
Looking good there synapse. It's kind of dark, so it's hard to tell, but you've got a fair amount of gore on the hand weapon as well, right?

synapse
11-09-2007, 16:00
Looking good there synapse. It's kind of dark, so it's hard to tell, but you've got a fair amount of gore on the hand weapon as well, right?

tbh the chainsword isnt even painted properly yet, i couldnt wait to test out the blood! ill finish it tonight and add a liberal dose of blood and gore to it, dont worry :p

Aflo
11-09-2007, 16:54
I wouldn't say it's gratuitous, in fact, I'd say it finishes it off quite necely. How did you paint the gore?

synapse
11-09-2007, 17:26
lol! blood recipie is 1:1:1:1 blood red, red ink, brown ink and gloss varnish to get it nice and thick

i applied it using the toothbrush flicking method to get the tiny splatters (that are invisible on the photo) and also stippled on using a really old drybrush to get the bigger splotches. i then painted on gloss varnish got it really shiny.

bits of it were washed with brown ink to get it looking darker

doghouse
11-09-2007, 22:00
The blood effect looks great mate, nice work! :)

Astador
11-09-2007, 22:28
Awesome work! Maybe coat the blood with an ink to make it glossier though?

MF3000
11-09-2007, 22:50
Agreed with Astador on doing something with the blood, either make it dry and old, or as Astador suggested, make it fresh and glossy.

I think the fresh blood would make sense, since... I'm guessing that the world eaters colour scheme now is just... centuries of blood dried onto their shiny new white and blue armour lol. (No but really I'm sure some of them cheated by painting it red @_@)

Great stuff, as usual.

sj

synapse
12-09-2007, 01:13
the blood is coverd in a few coats of gloss varnish - you cant get much shineier than that! it just doesnt show in the pic

ghostmaker12
12-09-2007, 01:20
As i said before it looks amazing. I actually used your idea with the ork chain axe for my Wolf lord's frost blade. Keep up the good work.

Astador
12-09-2007, 01:51
Alright mate! Lol Lets see some more!

Metal Fingered Villain
12-09-2007, 02:05
Holy pooo fingers, that is simply bloody amazing, the blood effects are sick. I need that recipe from you sir.

F_Garrison
12-09-2007, 02:12
Well I love it, very nice work. It give me idea for my WE army, Thanks

Chaos_Minds
12-09-2007, 02:45
Looking really good mate.

Xenocidal Maniac
12-09-2007, 04:25
D00d!!! D00d!!!! Just.... d00d...

(collapses from an overload of awesome)

synapse
12-09-2007, 08:02
As i said before it looks amazing. I actually used your idea with the ork chain axe for my Wolf lord's frost blade. Keep up the good work.

cool idea, though be warned - it really is big!!

Alright mate! Lol Lets see some more!

theyre almost done. some final details and maybe a display base for them if i can find a good sized picture frame...

Well I love it, very nice work. It give me idea for my WE army, Thanks

Looking really good mate.

D00d!!! D00d!!!! Just.... d00d...

(collapses from an overload of awesome)

thanks guys! seeing peoples reactions and comments is what really kept this project moving - im not renowned for finishing my projects, so im well chuffed with this one!

Holy pooo fingers, that is simply bloody amazing, the blood effects are sick. I need that recipe from you sir.

lol! blood recipie is 1:1:1:1 blood red, red ink, brown ink and gloss varnish to get it nice and thick

i applied it using the toothbrush flicking method to get the tiny splatters (that are invisible on the photo) and also stippled on using a really old drybrush to get the bigger splotches. i then painted on gloss varnish got it really shiny.

zeek jr.
12-09-2007, 10:51
OMG. U WRECKED THAT BEAUTIFUL PAINT JOB

u should of done the gore and a stupid unnamed pleb b4 u did it on ur main dude.......

WAT HAVE U DONE

synapse
12-09-2007, 14:34
OMG. U WRECKED THAT BEAUTIFUL PAINT JOB

u should of done the gore and a stupid unnamed pleb b4 u did it on ur main dude.......

WAT HAVE U DONE

i take it you dont like it? :p whats wrong?

hallowed_are_the_ori
12-09-2007, 14:45
Zeek Jr , i couldn't understand a word you just typed, retype it so synapse (and the rest of us) can read it properly, like you just mashed your knuckles on the keyboard and pressed "post quick reply".

I love the gore Synapse, how did you do it? Also, i love the scheme a lot, very effective.

synapse
12-09-2007, 14:54
ive given the recipie about three time sso far! the last one is right at the end of post #184

thanks.

at least i understood your reply :p

wreiro
12-09-2007, 14:59
I must say that the marines are fantastic! The chainsword guy is the perfect marine for goring up since the chainsword make alot of mess when put to work. Great job!

Wreiro

hallowed_are_the_ori
12-09-2007, 14:59
Thank, sorry, i got sidetracked with Zeek JR's attempt to type.
I like your army, very unique and inspiring!
Shame i don't know a great deal about Space Marines or CSM otherwise i'd look into pre heresy converting etc.

Damokles
12-09-2007, 16:26
looks really amazing, I like the gore, though I wouldn't add any more cause if you tried to get a realistic amount of blood for a world eater during combat there wouldn't be any more white to see

I guess the average world eater would get covered in blood from head to toe from killing a single squirrel ;)

synapse
12-09-2007, 18:14
Damokles - i agree 100% with you. realistically, they would be mostly red, thought that wouldnt make for a very good model, would it :p

thanks

Merceus
12-09-2007, 19:25
YES!!! :eek: Blood!! Nice recipe, though I prefer 1:1:1:1 ScabRed:ChestnutInk:RedInk:Varnish

And the Mud/Dirt looks great! Cant wait to see the rest of em! :evilgrin:

Damokles
12-09-2007, 19:40
yeah, would be a crime to mess up your excellent paintjob in the name of realism

are you planning on doing pre heresy true scale squads for other legions too?

muggs
12-09-2007, 19:45
stunning models! My only observation (I don't think I can criticise such models!!) would be that there would be more blood lower on the marine, due to the chainsword blades spinning downwards. Though as you said, he would end up mostly covered in blood!

MUGGS

cstkto
13-09-2007, 00:48
stunning models! My only observation (I don't think I can criticise such models!!) would be that there would be more blood lower on the marine, due to the chainsword blades spinning downwards. Though as you said, he would end up mostly covered in blood!

With such a chain sword you would never swing it down this is a cleaving weapon left right and if it got imbedded he would kick them off the end of the item so it all depends on what surgery he has been doing with his scalpel :p

And very nice nice green stuff work synapse :),

Going through the thread from the beginning I would say it looks like you don't remove your mould lines or are they rough pics at the start that get cleaned up? Also the knees look a little odd keep thinking that MK VI legs may have worked better.:confused:

But as I say looking very nice :D

dr.oetk3r
13-09-2007, 01:14
You have the best true scale marines i have ever seen.

Norsehawk
13-09-2007, 04:18
Amazing work! definitely on my subscription list.

synapse
13-09-2007, 07:26
YES!!! Blood!! Nice recipe, though I prefer 1:1:1:1 ScabRed:ChestnutInk:RedInk:Varnish

And the Mud/Dirt looks great! Cant wait to see the rest of em!

here they are!

yeah, would be a crime to mess up your excellent paintjob in the name of realism

are you planning on doing pre heresy true scale squads for other legions too?

yes i am, apart from my tentative golden daemon entry next year... link here (http://warseer.com/forums/m-p-t-general-discussion/101952-my-tentative-golden-daemon-entry.html) id love to make more random models, as well as add move world eaters in the hopes of making an army one day!

With such a chain sword you would never swing it down this is a cleaving weapon left right and if it got imbedded he would kick them off the end of the item so it all depends on what surgery he has been doing with his scalpel

Going through the thread from the beginning I would say it looks like you don't remove your mould lines or are they rough pics at the start that get cleaned up? Also the knees look a little odd keep thinking that MK VI legs may have worked better.

But as I say looking very nice

probably right about the blood come to think of it, though like you said, if i done itproperly i might as well have just painted them all red!

and youre right about the mould lines, it takes too long to do them all at once so i take them off slowly through the converting process, though the odd one may slip by at times, i was extra careful with these... i think!

You have the best true scale marines i have ever seen.

Amazing work! definitely on my subscription list.

thanks guys!

and here they are:

Sergeant:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure1.1.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure1.1.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure1.2.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure1.2.jpg

flamer dude:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure2.1.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure2.1.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure2.2.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure2.2.jpg

synapse
13-09-2007, 07:27
trooper
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure3.1.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure3.1.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure3.2.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure3.2.jpg

trooper
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure4.1.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure4.1.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure4.2.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure4.2.jpg

synapse
13-09-2007, 07:27
...continued from previous page

trooper
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure5.1.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure5.1.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure5.2.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/figure5.2.jpg

well, on the whole im well chuffed with them.

you may have noticed the banner and shoulder iceons ans squad markings are not done yet. a bad move, considering ive weathered/gored them already, though ill add them later when i feel like freehanding.

now, work begins on the HQ and drawings and sketches continue on the pre heresy dreadnought and jetbikes...

let me know what you think guys

Reinn
13-09-2007, 07:29
Woah! Even more blood...these models are awesome, the weathered look is incredible.
Loads of blood...looks like they just walked off from hacking up some poor unfortunates

jasevx
13-09-2007, 07:48
i like the splater effect on the cloth

The UnNamed One
13-09-2007, 10:06
Great work man. Love the blood, very realistic, looks like you but accidentaly cut urself with your hobby knife and spilt a bit of blood on your models.

ss_cherubael
13-09-2007, 10:17
BEST TRUE SCALE MARINES EVER!

I have been watching this log for a few days and my god these are some of the best miniatures i have ever seen, i wish i had the skill to make some of those guys.
Also the gore looks great!

One_Second_of_Insanity
13-09-2007, 10:33
Very very nice true scale minis, I hope to get my sculpting to that level

Cpt_Tiberius
13-09-2007, 12:57
Now that is a World Eater. :)

Astador
13-09-2007, 13:00
Awesome work as always mate!

Damokles
13-09-2007, 13:38
groupshot please! just wow on these, they look really threatening, not like the usual posterboys with clean armour,

Captain Ardias
13-09-2007, 13:44
Amazing work there synapse, and I'm looking forward to see your HQ.

BDJV
13-09-2007, 14:17
Wow, that's some outstanding conversion work!

Ross
13-09-2007, 14:21
Nicely done, a few century's of that without a wash and that's how they're red today ;)

Catferret
13-09-2007, 14:34
Looking great Synapse. Not much I can say that hasn't been said already.

One issue. The Bolter mags don't look integrated with the weapons. They could probably have used a little GS to fill the gaps between what used to be the handgrip and where the mag clips in. Sorry.

Painting and sculpting look great though. :D

Rogue Trader
13-09-2007, 14:38
they look great, i have just secured myself a load of termie bits so i'll be having ago at these in the coming weeks and this along with the night lords log will be a great help with refrence etc, im thinking sons of horus so anyone with pics of sons of horus, squad markings and chapter icon etc please forward them to me by pm

Great job :D

Thoth62
13-09-2007, 16:01
I was thinking the same thing as Catferret when it comes to the mags. Once you put the paint on them, it kind of sticks out a bit. Other than that, fantastic work. Painting and sculpting are both top notch.

Edit: Group shot?

explorator
13-09-2007, 16:15
Nice gore on those marines; medium and high velocity blood spatter, smears, and realistic pooling. Thanks for the recipe.

Roel?
13-09-2007, 16:18
Wow, these look so brutal. This is what space marines should look like: rampaging and butchering through the enemy lines, inflicting massive casualties and splattering everything with guts and gore!

Yeahhh.

Leunam
13-09-2007, 16:24
Damn man, that's some of the most realistic blood splatter/smearing I've ever seen. You wouldn't happen to be a butcher would you?

Mrlemonjelly
13-09-2007, 16:51
Haha, those are awesome. Loving the blood splatters!

synapse
13-09-2007, 17:16
Woah! Even more blood...these models are awesome, the weathered look is incredible.

i like the splater effect on the cloth

BEST TRUE SCALE MARINES EVER!

Very very nice true scale minis, I hope to get my sculpting to that level

Now that is a World Eater. :)

Awesome work as always mate!

just wow on these, they look really threatening, not like the usual posterboys with clean armour

Amazing work there synapse, and I'm looking forward to see your HQ.

Wow, that's some outstanding conversion work!

Nice gore on those marines; medium and high velocity blood spatter, smears, and realistic pooling. Thanks for the recipe.

Wow, these look so brutal. This is what space marines should look like: rampaging and butchering through the enemy lines, inflicting massive casualties and splattering everything with guts and gore!

Haha, those are awesome. Loving the blood splatters!

Great work man.

thanks for the great comments guys! i might just have to do an encore and make some more of them now :p

The Bolter mags don't look integrated with the weapons. They could probably have used a little GS to fill the gaps between what used to be the handgrip and where the mag clips in.

I was thinking the same thing as Catferret when it comes to the mags. Once you put the paint on them, it kind of sticks out a bit.

i'm afraid youre both right, i could use the excuse that they show up worse on the pics than the actual models, but thats just that - an excuse! im not too pleased the bolters much actually, and didnt put as much effort into them as i did the rest of the models, which really is a shame now im seeing the final product. i also loathe, an i mean loathe, painting bolters, dunno why, i just do and im sure thats affected the final thing too.

ill spend more time on furture ones, i promise!

Damn man, that's some of the most realistic blood splatter/smearing I've ever seen. You wouldn't happen to be a butcher would you?

lol! that really made me laugh! no im not, but i am a connoseour of slasher films, so it might be that!

they look great, i have just secured myself a load of termie bits so i'll be having ago at these in the coming weeks and this along with the night lords log will be a great help with refrence etc

looking forward to seeing those very much. keep us posted!

EDIT: group shot coming up soon!

synapse
13-09-2007, 18:03
as promised a group shot...
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0549.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0549.jpg

and a scale comparison :p
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0550.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0550.jpg
i love that theyre the same size as tyranid warriors! lol and the normal marine looks like a halfling next to these guys!

job's a good 'um id say :p

ghost hunter
13-09-2007, 18:12
This amy have been asked before or even posted before but are those termy pads for the shoulders and can you give us a step by step guide to building them;)

synapse
13-09-2007, 18:17
yes they are, with the corners filled in. and you mean guide to the marine sor the shoulders? :p

if its the marines, im working on one at the moment for an ezine. ill post up links once its done. if the pads, well, they'll be part of the guide too!

ghost hunter
13-09-2007, 18:23
I mean for the full marines + those are the red Scorpian head aren't they ??

Also great job im loving the flamer looking forward to those thousand sons you said you might do next :D

synapse
13-09-2007, 19:30
heads are the plastic BT heads, though they are technically the same amrkl as the red scorpion heads

still not sure what im foing next. its a toss up between fists, smurf bug hunters or the 1k sons. i really cant decide and the poll i posted is still pretty close at the mo.

of course ill be continuing with the WE, since i really enjoyed painting them. next up is the HQ then another unit, some jetbikes a dread and possibly a chaplain

Thoth62
13-09-2007, 20:28
Where's the poll? I haven't seen it. (I'm pretty oblivious though.)

I was actually thinking of doing the squad of TS that I'm going to be using for the new chaos army as true scale, to make them more intimidating. Do you think I should use something akin to your method, or should I use Doghouse's method?

Rogue Trader
13-09-2007, 21:15
looking forward to seeing those very much. keep us posted!

haha, you will no doubt recieve the odd pm for tips on any bits i might get stuck on. the group shot is very impressive and i just love how they impose on anything around with even a nid warrior paleing in comparison to them! :D :D

Thoth62
13-09-2007, 21:44
Quick question.

How's it going on that HQ like dude from a few pages back?

crandall87
13-09-2007, 23:40
I am loving the group shot. Any plans on painting a freehand world eaters symbol on all the pads?

Gonfrask
13-09-2007, 23:49
Gods!!!!! There is no other word, they are real space marines!!! You and Doghouse are giving us a special lesson

MF3000
13-09-2007, 23:52
Oh wow... I bet I'll see this in White Dwarf one day for Golden Demon stuff. (But then again, I think everything is good for that competition lol).

sj

Chaos_Minds
14-09-2007, 00:04
I love the size comparison pic. It looks like he's about to shoot the blood angel and say "shut up."

Great work. I smell a golden daemon.

One_Second_of_Insanity
14-09-2007, 00:33
That is awesome work, you have inspired me to make some true scale marines but I will wait until your guide has been posted. A squad of 10 to play some movie marines games sounds good

Triggerdog
14-09-2007, 02:01
if the general populace could vote on Golden Daemons, I would vote for this.

tagsta
14-09-2007, 03:25
I watched the thread for a while...
just wanted to say a couple of words:

THOSE ARE THE BEST MARINES I HAVE EVER SEEN.
I usually dislike the BT MKIV heads but the look sooooo perfect with the true scale bodies =)
whenever I watch your thread it makes me want to start painting immediately.

Reinn
14-09-2007, 04:36
Dear god...the comparson shot makes me feel like my marines are tiny little worthless bugs to be quashed...Awesome!
You said you used the plastic BT heads, but how is it in proportion with your truescale marines if its made for normal ones? Did you modify them a bit? Or are they just naturally bigger?

Marovian
14-09-2007, 06:19
Superb squad, stunningly superb.
Those guys look like they really are the best warriors mankind has to offer.

synapse
14-09-2007, 07:26
Where's the poll? I haven't seen it. (I'm pretty oblivious though.)

I was actually thinking of doing the squad of TS that I'm going to be using for the new chaos army as true scale, to make them more intimidating. Do you think I should use something akin to your method, or should I use Doghouse's method?

poll is HERE! (http://warseer.com/forums/m-p-t-general-discussion/101952-my-tentative-golden-daemon-entry.html) please vote people, if you havent already

and tbh there isnt much dfference between mine and doghouse. hes far better with the GS than i am, thats for sure. though the legs on mine are extended while his are normal termie legs with GS on top (i think). i just think its a matter of taste. his first Night Lord is amazing, the best truescale marine ive ever seen and the inspiration for my own ones! (thanks doghouse!)

How's it going on that HQ like dude from a few pages back?

im about to to start GSing him now, hes gonna have big lion pelt on his shoulders, and i have no idea where im gonna get a lion head from. i might wait for the new white lions and/or white lion chariot to come out, or ill just use the existing korhil one. not sure my sculpting is up to scratch for that yet!

Any plans on painting a freehand world eaters symbol on all the pads?

yes, and the banners and company/squad markings too... when i feel like it! i got so excited about doing the weathering/gore that i literally forgot the icons! ill do them once the HQ is ready

You said you used the plastic BT heads, but how is it in proportion with your truescale marines if its made for normal ones? Did you modify them a bit? Or are they just naturally bigger?

i think people are so used to the crappy scale of normal marine that they forget the heads are absolutely massive (which they really are) so when they see them on truescale marines they look strange. same thing with the bolters - theyre huge in normal marines so they look wired on the truescale ones since theyre a bit more 'to scale'

I watched the thread for a while...
just wanted to say a couple of words:

THOSE ARE THE BEST MARINES I HAVE EVER SEEN.
I usually dislike the BT MKIV heads but the look sooooo perfect with the true scale bodies =)
whenever I watch your thread it makes me want to start painting immediately.

what are you waiting for then :p lol

doghouse
14-09-2007, 20:35
and tbh there isnt much dfference between mine and doghouse. hes far better with the GS than i am, thats for sure. though the legs on mine are extended while his are normal termie legs with GS on top (i think). i just think its a matter of taste. his first Night Lord is amazing, the best truescale marine ive ever seen and the inspiration for my own ones! (thanks doghouse!)

Thanks for the compliment mate, your more than welcome and I love what you've done with these guys! ;)
The group shot looks fantastic mate, seriously cool and I've really enjoyed watching this thread develop. Make sure that you keep expanding the army though, I want to see a tactical squad or two!

Light of the Emperor
14-09-2007, 20:50
They look like they came straight out of the artwork. Well executed and well painted. The gore is just enough to get the right effect.

Well done I say!

LordKhaine
14-09-2007, 22:19
these models are sick dude

i love them

as a pre-heresy world eater collector, ther lyk WOW

i want them =]

love the size, makes them look menacing now, not jst fat humans lol

the gore, gotta love the gore, wudnt be WE wivout them

question

how did u get the white to be so solid?

foundation paints?

come on, tell me! i need to know lol

keep up the great work

wud be cool to see a pre-heresy Kharn lyk :)

synapse
15-09-2007, 08:43
LordKhaine - yeah, even though its a black undercoat i used astronomican grey, followed by 1:1 astro grey/skull white and finally 1:2 astro grey/skull white, and highlights of pure white. you might need a few thin coats of each layer to get an even finish but it worked out pretty well

Doghouse - working on the HQ right now, and ive done sketches for the pre heresy dread and thousand sons squad ill start work on soon :o

Still learning
15-09-2007, 09:20
wow, I can't belive that I just discovered this thread!

synapse
16-09-2007, 07:55
yesterdays WIP pic
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0552.jpg

hes had a kick ass cloak added since then and the chest has been bulked up. ill post a photo update later on wen i have time to!

synapse
16-09-2007, 08:14
EDIT: before anyone asks, the head is from the chaos terminator lord, and the big jaw is from the orc chariot :p, there!
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0564.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0564.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0565.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x15/voropohaiah/HPIM0565.jpg

progress so far. hes still in need of a belly plate (a.l.a ogre, chest detail and various random accessories (purit yseals skulls, chains etc, though hes mostly ready

im well chuffed with the cloak (my first one, and apart from some physically incorrect folds im really happy with it)and might not add the fur since i like it so much. we'll see. i can sculpt it on and rip it off if i dont like it after all. the cloak will be painted canvasy colour with mud and blood splatters on it, and maybe a world eater icon on the back barely visible through the folds

also, since i added the huge jaw to the shoulder pad (trophy with the skull? maybe) i wont bother with the puny lion head

C&C especially regarding the cloak, please!

jasevx
16-09-2007, 08:16
very imposing figure there, just awesome

ss_cherubael
16-09-2007, 08:21
feth me sideways, thats a very nice mini mate, the sculpting as normal is top notch, btw where is that head from? the sm command sprue perhaps?

synapse
16-09-2007, 08:30
ive edited the post to show where the head and jaw bone are from since everyone seems to ask me!

head is from plastic chaos termie lord (that snarl is perfect for a WE)
the jaw is from the orc chariot

Ross
16-09-2007, 08:32
That's on helluva tuning fork!!

How do you spell tune-ing?

doghouse
16-09-2007, 09:28
He's looking fantastic mate, your sculpting has improved as well.
That cloak looks great! :)

Darkseer
16-09-2007, 09:29
Fabulous conversion work!