PDA

View Full Version : Goin' shooty - Pew Pew

Mask
19-08-2007, 00:50
Hiya, all y'all.
I've been feeling rather necromundane as of late, so me and a friend are thinking about kicking off a very informal campaign. Basically just a gathering of whoever might be interested where we use our gangs and gain experience and stuff. Previously we tried to make a more story-based campaign, but no-one really had the time to write enough stuff.

Anyhow, I'm going to start a new gang, and this time Van Saar have caught my eye. I suspect it's mainly because I've been watching to much Full Metal Alchemist as of late and have grown attached to the look of guys with wierd mustaches.

So, I've decided that I'll try to make a Van Saar gang out of converted Eldar Guardian models. That could work out, right? While I like the look of the GW metal Van Saar, I don't like that they are just that; Metal. While playing my last gang(Full Throttle-inspired bikers using the Unkown Armies rules) I couldn't help scultping every little change on the models. Everything from sculpting bandages and support straps on Arm wounds to giving my inventor a little toolbelt. They were made from IG models, and I do want to continiue using plastics, due to convienience. Thus, eldar.

Now, I've only ever played CC-oriented gangs, so this Van Saar buissness is quite new to me. So, I've created two gangs, that are as follows:

List A:
190 Leader, Plasmagun
345 Heavy, Heavy Plasma Gun
75 Ganger, Shotgun w/ Manstoppers
70 Ganger, Autogun
70 Ganger, Autogun
70 Ganger, Autogun
65 Ganger, Autopistol
40 Juve, Autopistol

List B:
190 Leader, Plasmagun
345 Heavy, Heavy Plasma Gun
120 Heavy, Heavy Stubber
65 Ganger, Autopistol
65 Ganger, Autopistol
65 Ganger, Autopistol

Now, as you can see, the big diffrence between the two gangs are the addition of another Heavy in List B. The Stubber has served me well in the past, but I'm afraid that I've also experienced that gangs with few men have a helluva time gainring resources, right? So, in order to be able to work territories, I've tried not to fall into the Juve-spam trap. Also, List B is more vunerable to Bottle Tests, and have a lot less medium-range firepower than List A.

The Heavy Plasma gun is there because I want to try it out. I know it's nuts.

So, am I on the right track with these lists? Which is better, do you think? Do you have any suggestions on other setups? I'm thinking of getting a Flamer as a backup weapon to someone, because Flamers rock.

Catferret
20-08-2007, 00:19
I'm also thinking about using an HPG just beacuse I've never tried them before.

I'd seriously consider downgrading the Leader's Plasmagun and varying the equipment on your gangers. It'll make for a more interesting looking gang.

Also the Leader will likely only be able to fire every second turn and he has no backup at the moment. Try a Shotgun with a backup pistol for close range firefights. Or Bolter as a status symbol. The credits you save will allow you to buy some close combat weapons, juve or hired gun.

Deltrax
20-08-2007, 21:31
If I had to choose, I would choose A. That's a fine list, if you want to use the HPG. Although I would opt for 2 heavy's with H.stubbers, save some money and buy the HPG later on. Save 20 credits each round if you can and sell the heavy stubber. Or equip 1 heavy with a stubber and the other with a special weapon that you can give to the leader when you bought the HPG. You can outfit the leader with either CC weapons or a shotgun-autopistol combo.
Also 6 gangers and a few juves would be better.
HPG heavy takes more than a third of your total starting cash, you basically will lose any chance to win anything if he's downed .. or worse, if he has an old battle wound. I would suggest the following loadout 1L 2H 6G 2J = 11 members. 2 Heavy's so the best one can take the HPG (later), 6 gangers to have good income, 2 juves for to odd chance of good increases.
Make sure you stay in the lower upkeep region for more post battle cash. Kill off excess juves, 'cuz only 1 out of 10 juves will have good skills, so kill the ones that only get the Ld and I increases, keep the ones with multiple BS increases. But now I'm rambling over my default loadout for a starting gang, try something different! Just be VERY CARFUL with your HPG heavy. He's worth more than all your gangers. Sacrifice them if necessary.
Good Luck.

Deltrax
20-08-2007, 21:38
And I have to say, post scriptum.. plasma is yummie... You could try this:
Leader - Plasma pistol and chainsword (and get him into CC)
Heavy1 - Heavy Plasmagun (or Heavy stubber with the 'upgrade to HPG' later)
Heavy2 - Plasmagun (who will get the HStubber when you bought the HPG)
The rest you have cash for.