PDA

View Full Version : Warmachine bases?

Urgat
20-08-2007, 19:14
Well, the name says it all: what's the official size for the base of bolt throwers, rock lobbers, doom divers and so on?

theunwantedbeing
20-08-2007, 19:18
They dont have a base size.
The machine is what you use for the purposes of template weapons and so forth.
The crew have bases though.

Urgat
20-08-2007, 19:27
But then, how do you align enemies to them? And how do you decide how they block lines of sight (do they, anyway?).
Engaging warmachines has always seemed a bit tricky to me (saw a few arguments like that one about a doomdiver placed on a very large base, the O&G player claiming for it to be strictly for conveniance - something I can understand, mine has a tendancy to slide off hills, I put it on a regiment base in the end, also helps keeping it relatively unharmed from shocks - the other using it to measure the charging distance).

Sherlocko
20-08-2007, 19:30
When being charged, crew ranks up in front of the machine.

Read the sections on page 86. :)

Urgat
20-08-2007, 19:33
What about the doomdiver? It has no crew.

devolutionary
20-08-2007, 19:36
Then it should die really easily to a melee rush. You can't engage a warmachine in combat, only it's crew. If the crew flee and you pursue, the warmachine dies. Same sort of concept applies to no crew and a warmachine in the open - charge it, and it dies. You charge the machine though, not the base, so just measure to the nearest part of the machine itself.

winter has ended
20-08-2007, 19:44
erm the doom diver has a crew of 3? and comes with them

Urgat
20-08-2007, 20:55
No, there's a snot "for show", then you get three guys that are part of the machine and have no base per say (the doom diver on the catapult, and two snots pulling the rope, supposedly placed on a cavalry base). The book does state that there's 3 crew members though, so I stand corrected.

T10
20-08-2007, 21:55
The old-school doomdiver rules had us assume an indefinite supply of goblins ready to step forward and launch themselves into the air. This was represented by the single doom diver model. :)

-T10

Tutore
21-08-2007, 13:37
Anyway, there are 3 crew members for the doom-diver in the rules. I and some friends decided to give some warmachines bases to avoid difficult line of sight situations, but we obviously didn't glue them to the machines. We used 40x40 ones.