PDA

View Full Version : Bending the rules (OK, destroying them)

Carlos
21-08-2007, 09:22
I recently started playing Necromunda with my long time friend as we have no time for 40K and it is more focussed. Back in the day we used to play loads of outlandish games and bend the rules in all sorts of ways, for example my friend has a 20-girl escher gang with a 10,000+ rating simply because we used to endlessly play purges and use the crate counters from an old WD that were always full of rare trade items, thus our gangs got exceptionally powerful.

I had a spyrer gang but as they used to just play vs scum and vermin as opposed to actual gangs they never technically achieved their vow and thus I kept them for many games till they were all almost maxed out. Orrus with 2+ sv/3+ Unmod with 4x SF Dice Bolt launchers, WS 7 and Body slam anyone? This guy used to literally run up to gangs of chaos marines and genestealers and beat the crap out of them all! They even managed to capture a settlement and I had one lone Juve I used to feed all sorts of drugs and slimes to make him superhuman!

We started again but we used the same gangs but tried to stay focussed on proper play but again we have become to power addicted and started allying together to play other gangs and on friday its Purge time again!

Angelwing
21-08-2007, 16:48
I don't see it as a problem at all. I retire gangs when they reach 4000+ though.
I used to run purges with a buddy of mine. We used the playing card method, but used my tyranid army as the 'vermin'. 2nd ed tyranids were very tough!

ZomboCom
22-08-2007, 14:39
Generally, when gangs get too powerful it's best to come up with some scenarios for nerfing them. Zombie invasions are excellent, especially if you have a rule where anyone killed by a zombie dies permanently.

That's what we do in our group, any time a gang gets too hard it faces the zombies. The few members of the gang that survive will be awesome, but an awful lot will die.

Damien 1427
22-08-2007, 18:44
Break out the Necrons. The rules no doubt still exist on the 'net, or if you have a friend with the White Dwarf article from nigh-on a decade ago, they'll give you a kicking.

Failing that, I suggest a 2nd Edition Bloodthirster, with 8 Bloodletter buddies.

ThousandPlateaus
23-08-2007, 09:54
Speaking of which - how do you best translate 40k rules/stats for whatever into Necromunda? I've had an idea for a while, but I don't know how it's translate - do you just use the 40k stats as stated?

Eazy-O
24-08-2007, 09:14
Your best bet would be to go with 2nd edition stats and rules... Points costs are a bit more tricky. You can figure them out by comparing to the regular gangs. Some things are simply pts cost 10. Others not so.

Failing that, use 4th edition stuff. Add a movement characteristic. Adjust pinning, ammo rolls and other Necro-specific rules. Maybe the critter you're importing would cause fear?

What exactly do you have in mind?

ThousandPlateaus
24-08-2007, 10:00
Hmm, I was thinking of =][= Lord Fydor Karamazov, which I know is ludicrous, but I thought it'd be quite funny if he decided to wander about in his throne dealing out judgement in the hive.

Commissar Bob
24-08-2007, 16:42
I'd love to use some genestealers in my upcoming necromunda campaign, but I am unsure how to translate them ifrom 40k to Necromunda.

I was thinking of keeping their basic stats, but giving them M 6, no rending and the ability to climb walls (due to their claws). Does that sound resonable? And if it does, does anyone have any idea what their point value should be?

Commissar Bob

Damien 1427
24-08-2007, 17:01
Surely Underhive has the bestiary? Right? Right?

There were stats for all flavours of 'Stealer in the BYB.

Deltrax
25-08-2007, 00:54
I think I saw 'them stealers' in the Outanders supplement too...
Could be mistaken. Big campaign enders like purge are cool.
We've used a spacehulk board, to simulate a big deep underground tunnel or vent system, to hunt down some underhive vermin - giger's alien style, but you could use any genestealers/vermin/plague zombies for flavour. 'Lord of the spire' (climb 8+ lvls up, first one up wins) or derivatives are funny aswell. Big gangs can be fun once or twice.. but micromanaging them can be a bit tedious, thats why many retire them after 4K points.

Eazy-O
25-08-2007, 14:19
The stealers were in the Underhive Bestiary, back in the Outlanders supplement. Not sure if they're still available anywhere. If anybody wants detailed stats, PM me.

As for Karamazov, have you seen the picture in the 'dex? His entourage prolly numbers 1000 staff, militay and otherwise. I doubt he'd be mucking about in underhive. I say, think smaller. Otherwise, up to you. :)

Prolly easiest to copy stats from the dex, give him M of 4 or 5, immune to pinning, the 4+ inv save is unmodifiable and always applicable... Keep the special rules, causes fear (monstrous). Pts cost... I have no idea. It's a huge monster. ~2000creds? (Cost in dex 10) *shrug*

-Eazy

ThousandPlateaus
25-08-2007, 19:42
As for Karamazov, have you seen the picture in the 'dex? His entourage prolly numbers 1000 staff, militay and otherwise. I doubt he'd be mucking about in underhive. I say, think smaller. Otherwise, up to you. :)

Prolly easiest to copy stats from the dex, give him M of 4 or 5, immune to pinning, the 4+ inv save is unmodifiable and always applicable... Keep the special rules, causes fear (monstrous). Pts cost... I have no idea. It's a huge monster. ~2000creds? (Cost in dex 10) *shrug*

-Eazy

Oh yeah, I know - I said it was ludicrous!
I'd have him facing off against a few gangs simultaneously, so the point would even up, if not outstrip him.
I also understand that he wouldn't be pootling around the underhive in his giant throne, too, but I could easily rename him as something else.
I just thought it'd be funny: no-one expects the Inquisition! (Especially in a giant throne).

Thanks for the advice.