PDA

View Full Version : Marine test Chapters

charlie_c67
21-08-2007, 11:09
I got to thinking bout the Mentors and their role as a chapter testing out "new" equipment for the forces of the Imperium and this got me wondering. Are they the only chapter that do this? Or is it quite feasable that out of the however many there are that several chapters could be doing the same thing?

heretics bane
21-08-2007, 13:37
there was the exorcists who where fused with a deamon before having it banished, this made them better than standard troops on a deamon infested world as the inqusistion where looking for a easier way to combating deamon sthan the rather expensive grey knights

pookie
21-08-2007, 13:43
I got to thinking bout the Mentors and their role as a chapter testing out "new" equipment for the forces of the Imperium and this got me wondering. Are they the only chapter that do this? Or is it quite feasable that out of the however many there are that several chapters could be doing the same thing?

im sure there is although iirc only the Mentors are mentioned as being 'test' pilots for weapon systems etc, although this could be one of those Grey Areas, where we as players can use our imagination.

although the only thing i can think they may have tested would be Mk8 Armour?

charlie_c67
21-08-2007, 21:24
I would assume they also were one of the first chapters to "trial" the land raider crusader for the Ad Mech and SpikyJames has some good conversions of troopers with different styles of bolters. But might there also be a chapter testing the baal predator or some new jetbike ready for general release?

Leftenant Gashrog
21-08-2007, 22:14
I doubt the Baal would be undergoing testing, the Blood Angels have been using them since the Great Crusade according to Imperial Armour ~ the BA just refuse to share it.

Khaine's Messenger
21-08-2007, 23:00
Are they the only chapter that do this?

They're the only multi-purpose testbed chapter that does it officially. A lot of other chapters are meant as "tests"--the Cursed Founding, the Exorcists, etc.--but they're usually only tests in a secretive or unique sense. Other chapters can acquire new (uses for) tech and use it as they wish if they're willing to suffer the AdMech's ire over it. The Predator Annihilator and the Land Raider Crusader both were variations on "legal" templates that took time to get widely accepted, and the AdMech has granted exclusive license to some organizations to use certain gear before (eg, almost all the Sisters of Battle gear).

Or is it quite feasable that out of the however many there are that several chapters could be doing the same thing?

There are likely many chapters that use unique equipment in testing and not, but the Mentors are the only chapter devoted wholesale to the idea of being a test-bed for new technologies. To my knowledge.

ctsteel
22-08-2007, 10:46
the Land Raider Crusader was a Black Templar innovation, neither the Mentors nor the AdMech had a hand in its design and testing.

Though after the templars allowed it to be shared to other chapters, then the admech probably did a test of the design and perhaps got another chapter to run these tests, prior to officially sanctioning it.

pookie
22-08-2007, 10:54
the Land Raider Crusader was a Black Templar innovation, neither the Mentors nor the AdMech had a hand in its design and testing.

Though after the templars allowed it to be shared to other chapters, then the admech probably did a test of the design and perhaps got another chapter to run these tests, prior to officially sanctioning it.

your slightly wrong, yes they inovated its design, the Ad Mech were then given this design ( would presume after the Jerulas crusade ) and they (Ad Mech) began testing it to allow it to be put into production, but before this other SM Chapters had requested the design and were using it, the Ad Mech officially sanctioned its use 75Yeras iirc after the BT first used it.