PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings/Princes casting spells in combat?

Acrolith
25-08-2005, 22:53
First off, I`ve tried to search the forum and the TK book, but I couldn`t find anything about this. What I`m wondering is: Can a Tomb King or Prince cast his Incantation of Righteous Smiting on himself and his unit when he`s engaged in close combat? It`d make sense for him to bolster his unit during a fight, but since spellcasting is normally disallowed in combat, I`m unsure whether this is legal or not. The Incantation`s description only says that it can be cast into combat, but says nothing about whether or not it can be cast by an engaged model. Any clarification on this would be much appreciated, and I apologise in advanced if I`ve missed a sentence explaining in the TK book.

MarcoPollo
26-08-2005, 00:57
I don't have the book but I play against TK frequently and my opponent uses that trick. I think it is ok to cast it on himself.

Yanos
26-08-2005, 07:33
My belief has always been that the only spells that a wizard cannot cast while he himself is in combat are Magic Missiles. Obviously he's blocked for a lot of LoS spells as well, but that's just a physical thing rather than a specific combat-related thing! I thought that was the only restriction regarding spells in combat.

Acrolith
26-08-2005, 10:41
My belief has always been that the only spells that a wizard cannot cast while he himself is in combat are Magic Missiles. Obviously he's blocked for a lot of LoS spells as well, but that's just a physical thing rather than a specific combat-related thing! I thought that was the only restriction regarding spells in combat.

I think you`re right. I checked the rulebook, and I couldn`t find anything about Wizards not being able to cast spells while fighting in close combat. I`ve always just assumed they couldn`t do that, but it seems like I was wrong.

I guess I can start using my Incantations in close combat then, unless someone comes along and corrects me. Thanks for the input!

Avian
26-08-2005, 12:29
The only spells you cannot cast while you are in close combat are magic missile spells.

Festus
26-08-2005, 13:10
...and any and all spells requiring LoS, which is the ruling-out-factor for magic missiles also.
Not that some spells are specifically targetted at a c-c- oponent.

Greetings
Festus

Avian
26-08-2005, 13:13
No, you can cast LOS spells while in combat, there is nothing forbidding it. But it usually requires that it can be cast into combat, since you generally only have LOS to the enemy unit you are fighting.

My Orc Warboss has shoved his 'Itty Ring up in the face of his opponent more than once before blowing his head off with it.