PDA

View Full Version : Giant vs mounted character

Malorian
21-08-2007, 21:29
I'm pretty sure I get to choose wither the lord or the dragon and then use the table for that size, but since the 'model' counts as a large target I'm just wondering if I have to use the large target table for the giant's attacks even if I attack the lord.

theunwantedbeing
21-08-2007, 21:37
You decide whether to attack the rider or the mount,and go off the appropriate table.

Malorian
21-08-2007, 21:59
Ok, thanks : ) Just wanted to be 100% sure.

knightime98
22-08-2007, 06:23
I'm pretty sure I get to choose wither the lord or the dragon and then use the table for that size, but since the 'model' counts as a large target I'm just wondering if I have to use the large target table for the giant's attacks even if I attack the lord.

Look Malorian, please break your grammar down to simple sentences. This way we can make sense out of your question.

I'm pretty sure I get to choose wither the lord or the dragon

From what I can gather, you are asking if you can choose between two targets?
The answer is yes.

and then use the table for that size
The answer is yes again.

but since the 'model' counts as a large target
The DRAGON is a large target - not the rider.
This is if you are using the Giant Attack table.

I'm just wondering if I have to use the large target table for the giant's attacks even if I attack the lord.
No, you do not have to use the Large Target table

In the future, try to break down your questions/situation with one sentence at a time. For instance;

I played a game yesterday. I was playing a Giant and attacked a Lord on a Dragon. Now my questions are these;
1) Can I choose which one to attack? (Lord or Dragon)
2) Which chart must I use (Large Target or Small Things??)
3) Must I use the Large Target table if I choose the Lord?

Lastly, any comments would be appreciative and welcomed. Help me resolve this situation as I am troubled. Thank you!

Now, having a whole paragraph go on and on can be confusing. Here is an example of how confusing it can get.

My men fought and they lost but it was in the flank with an enemy and it was going good until I lost the fight and then I was trying to figure out what the combat resolution was so does he get a rear and flank with the skirmishers or can I get my bonus for flanking with the second friendly unit or can it be determined by my unbreakable unit and does terror play a part of it.

So, you can see by adding and, buts, thens, and so forth it makes it very confusing. Now, if I wrote it like this;
I had 2 units in a large combat. My opponent has 3 units in the same combat. One of his units causes terror (Giant). I have an unbreakable unit of Flagellants and one unit of swordsmen. In the end the enemy had 2 skirmishing units one in the rear and one on the flank. I lost the combat by 2.
Can you tell me what happens?
Was I supposed to test for Terror?
Do the swordsmen run away because of the Terror Causing Giant?
What happens to the Flagellants?

So, you can see that it is more clear what happened in the second example.
I am just trying to help.. So, don't take it as an attack...

DeathlessDraich
22-08-2007, 12:04
This old chestnut again.
My advice is Roll a dice. The Giant rules are impossible to resolve.

The Giant chooses which model to attack "as normal" before he chooses which table to roll.
That creates sufficient problems - No need to go any further

Festus
22-08-2007, 12:46
Hi

In the respect talked about, the Giant's Rules are clear, explicitly so: In the case of a character mounted on a Monster, you first choose who to attack and then you use the corresponding table.

What happens afterwards is a whole other kettle of fish, though :D

Festus

Malorian
22-08-2007, 14:03
Well Knighttime98 it seems everyone else was able to understand that perfectly accurate sentence. Maybe next time I'll have pictures and hand out candy at the end...

(Thanks to everyone that help me clear this up)

Atrahasis
22-08-2007, 14:52
Knightime98 was able to understand it, as was I.

My eyes bled for a while afterwards though...

sulla
23-08-2007, 06:25
Hi

In the respect talked about, the Giant's Rules are clear, explicitly so: In the case of a character mounted on a Monster, you first choose who to attack and then you use the corresponding table.

What happens afterwards is a whole other kettle of fish, though :D

Festus

Are they that unclear? I don't have the giant rules nearby but aren't most hits resolved like shooting? Choosing who to attack just directs you to which table you use? Or have I misremembered it?

Festus
23-08-2007, 07:36
Hi

The Gian's table sometime forces you to change targets, or allows you to do so... then it will become messy...

Festus

DaBrode
24-08-2007, 02:20
Hi

The Gian's table sometime forces you to change targets, or allows you to do so... then it will become messy...

Festus

Like Pick Up And...put a Dragon in a bag!!!

winter has ended
24-08-2007, 07:20
quick question, if the giant picks up the guy on the mount and throws him into another unit, first off is the guy still alive? secound is he classed as being in that unit? and if he is alive does the monster have to take a test?

theunwantedbeing
24-08-2007, 14:39
The monster reaction test is for slain riders only,if the thrown character was not killed(they only suffer 1 wound) then the monster would not have to take the test.

I guess you'de get to choose whether or not the character gets to join the unit,if you chose not to have him join the unit he'de be placed 1" away from the unit in a random direction.

I wonder if he'de be able to get back on his mount......

BeardyGit
24-08-2007, 18:25
I would think that you could only attack the mount. Here's why:

Page 59 of the ruelbook states that "a monster and its rider counts as a single model in the same way as a cavalry model..."

Also, i would treat such randomised hits similiar to a chariot (on page 63), it states that such hits will "always strike his chariot or mount and never the character himself"

Basically, a character would mostly be treated like a monster unless otherwise stated in the rulebook. I suppose that's the advantage of riding a monster" immune to terror/fear, fly, resolving random hits agaisnt the monster first, etc.

Therefore, the giant should first use the attacks against big things and resolve all these attacks agaisnt the mount first. Only once the mount is dead will the giant be able to attack the hero with the small things table who now counts as a model on foot. This would also solve such awkward moments as the rider being thrown away fomr his mount. Technically, even stuffing the character in the bag isn't killing him since if the giant is slain he gets out.

Its hard for me to imagine a giant jumping up and down on an elf hero who is still high up on his dragon.

winter has ended
24-08-2007, 22:04
pg 61 under monstourus mounts in combat says you can attack either the mount or rider

theunwantedbeing
24-08-2007, 22:55
Better yet,in the giants rules it states you pick whether you want to attack the mount or the rider.....

FranticDaemon
24-08-2007, 23:16
Like Pick Up And...put a Dragon in a bag!!!

Or in the pants... Ouch...

BeardyGit
25-08-2007, 01:46
pg 61 under monstourus mounts in combat says you can attack either the mount or rider

It seems you're right. In the Giant Rules in White Dwarf (the one that came out with the new Giant), it allows players to choose whether to direct his attacks agaisnt the hero or the mount. And then roll on the appropriate table.

So if you chose the Dragon, then use the large creature and resolve the attacks against the Dragon. And if you choose the rider, then use the chart for smaller creatures.

I never liked the random giant attacks. I always seem to get Yell and Brawl when i fight Elves.