PDA

View Full Version : Charging/pursuing into woods..

Argorian
23-08-2007, 15:23
Hello,

I have a question about units charging/pursuing into woods..
I have a Wood Elf army, and try to use a tactic where I stand in the outskirts of a wood, and if charged I flee into the woods (using my Wood Walkers rule to my benefit).
But I/we couldnt find anything about pursuing length into woods, so desided just to use a houserule for one less dice when determining pursuing distance.

Anyone know if there is a specific rule for this? Or have any better idea on how to solve it?

Thanks..

Atrahasis
23-08-2007, 15:37
If you flee as a charge reaction then the enemy gets no pursuit roll; if he can still reach you with his charge you are killed and he moves the full distance (adjusted for terrain), if not he fails the charge and moves his normal move (adjusted for terrain).

Masque
23-08-2007, 15:39
Check out page 16 of the BRB. All movement distances in woods (difficult terrain) count double.

Also, when a unit pursues an enemy who fled from them you don't roll dice to see how far you pursue. If they are still in normal charge range after the target flees then you make a normal (double) move though them. If they aren't in range you make a failed charge (single) move towards them.

Atrahasis
23-08-2007, 15:49
Check out page 16 of the BRB. All movement distances in woods (difficult terrain) count double.Not all, flee and pursuit moves ignore terrain. Only the flee part applies in this instance though.

Argorian
23-08-2007, 15:57
Ah, thanks. Guess we havent read the book good enough. At least to remember it all.. Was our first battle aswell.

Thanks alot for your help, and sorry for the newbieŽism :P

Masque
23-08-2007, 16:01
Not all, flee and pursuit moves ignore terrain. Only the flee part applies in this instance though.

I didn't really even think about it as he said he was using Wood Elves who ignore penalties for moving through woods anyway.

I just now noticed something a bit interesting though. The section on troops breaking and fleeing from combat (BRB page 40) says they are unpenalized by terrain as does the section on subsequent actions of fleeing troops (page 46), but the section on fleeing as a charge reaction (page 19) makes no mention of ignoring terrain penalties.

heldane
23-08-2007, 16:06
I just now noticed something a bit interesting though. The section on troops breaking and fleeing from combat (BRB page 40) says they are unpenalized by terrain as does the section on subsequent actions of fleeing troops (page 46), but the section on fleeing as a charge reaction (page 19) makes no mention of ignoring terrain penalties.

Surely as they're fleeing then they would follow the flee rules, and as all other forms of fleeing movement ignore terrain then they would

Dan

Argorian
23-08-2007, 16:23
But then the pursuing unit is still penalized, right? (Exept ofc Wood Elves in both cases with their Wood Walker rule)

heldane
23-08-2007, 16:34
But then the pursuing unit is still penalized, right? (Exept ofc Wood Elves in both cases with their Wood Walker rule)

Assuming that by penalized unit you mean a unit charging into the woods with an enemy who choose to flee then they are still subject to all charge/terrain rules.

Off the top of my head they hit the difficult terrain and then its half movement from there. Remembering that its a failed charge (so half move) unless they can reach the terrain and with half their remaining charge distance reach the enemy. In which case you follow the normal rules for a fleeing unit being caught on the charge. By half remaiining charge distance, I mean from how much distance they have left once the unit touches the wood.

I think thats about right anyway, its how I've always played it.

Dan