PDA

View Full Version : O&G, 2K, Night Goblin theme : feedback plz ?

Lorcryst
24-08-2007, 21:39
I've been playing with Night Goblins recently (they make me laugh), and albeit I've been trounced more than once, I'm still tweaking my army selection ...

Here's my latest version :

Skarnoze Da Great (Night Goblin Warboss), Great Weapon, Shield, Armour of Gork, Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'At, Mad Cap Mushrooms (164 pts)
Skabgit Bannawavva (Night Goblin Big Boss), Light Armor, Battle Standard Bearer, Rowdy Grott's Big Red Raggedy Banner (107 pts)
Stinky (Night Goblin Shaman), level 2, Staff of Sneaky Stealin' (135 pts)
Smelly (Night Goblin Shaman), level 2, 2 Dispell Scrolls (135 pts)

Skarnoze's Gitz : 28 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command, 3 Fanatics (242 pts)
Skabgit's Ladz : 28 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command, 2 Fanatics (217 pts)
Da Shootaz : 20 Night Goblins, Shortbows, Netters, Full Command (115 pts)

Spear Chukka x 4 (140 pts)
10 Squig Hoppers x 2 (300 pts)

4 Stone Trolls (240 pts)
Fire Magnet, Giant (205 pts)

As you can tell by the names, I have my General in the unit with 3 Fanatics, my BSB in the other spearmen unit, a Shaman in each of those units, and those two units are deployed close to each other.

My archers are tasked with the protection of my Spear Chukkas, they don't have any Fanatics because they usually sit on the slopes of a hill.

YES, my Giant is nicknamed Fire Magnet, it never survived past the third turn ...

Comments and suggestions will be welcomed, flaming will be ignored :angel:

warlord hack'a
24-08-2007, 23:25
for a 2k list with night gobbo theme, having only 3 units of night gobbo's is a bit on the low model count side.. I am not quite certai what your army strategy is, will you sit around and wait for the enemy to come to you (4 chukka's and 2 magic users suggest that) or will you go to the enemy and dish out hurt (the giant, trolls, a warboss as lord choice and squig hoppers suggest that). Doing both at the same time might not work.. I think your artillery support is fine, 140 points is a good % for support, but as far as the 2 shamen go, I suggest you either make them lvl 1 scroll caddies and invest the points you save in more night gobbo's, or go all out magic and swap your warboss for a great shaman..

And finally, 20 squighopers might be overdoing it, they are skirmishers after all so do nt negate ranks. I like hoppers (have to buy some myself) but 20 might be too much. But then again, I have no actual experience playing with them so that that idea with a grain of salt.

Lorcryst
25-08-2007, 07:29
Well, the overall strategy was a bit of a mixed one, basically advance with everything except the archers to engage the enemy (IF my Animosity rolls cooperate ...), while pounding anything too hurty with the chukkas ...

I take two units of hoppers because my regular opponents are well aware of the damage they can do, and try to get rid of them as fast as possible (after concentrating everything on Fire Magnet for a turn or two), with two units I usually have a few squigs that survive the barrage ...

Hmm, lowering the levels of my Shamans to 1 and taking only one unit of hoppers will give me 220 points to play with, that's a third unit of 28 NGs+spears+FC+2 Fanatics ... I'll try that and let you know how it went.

Thank you for those ideas :)

warlord hack'a
25-08-2007, 08:47
and if you are in a pinch for points, how about dropping the spears on the gobbo's, as well as the unit champ? As far as I can see you will use the night gobbo units to give ranks, outnumber and banner and the giant, squigs and trolls to do the damage. Then maybe your points on the spears and the unit champ are a waste (maybe not), let me quickly see:
28 nigo with spears and boss are (242-206=) 36 points more expensive than the same unit without boss and spears. If you field the guys with boss and spears 7 wide then you get 8 extra attacks at ws 2, S3. Those 36 points alomst buy you an extra troll, who has 3 attacks at ws3 S5 or one auto vomit hit at S5, no armour save.. Against your regular john doe with ws3, t3 and 4+ armour save the night gobbo's inflict 1 unsaved wound, the troll also inflicts one unsaved wound. But the john does still standing will have more trouble hurting either the troll or the night gobbo's with better save than they have hurting the night gobbos with spears..

Lorcryst
26-08-2007, 14:56
Well, I played a game against Tomb Kings yesterday ...

I used a slightly modified version of my above list, downgrading the shamans to level 1, switching the Staff of Sneaky Stealin' for 2 Dispell Scrolls, and ditching the second unit of Squig Hoppers to take a third unit of 28 spear-armed Night Goblins with the points I had freed up.

I won the dice roll to go first, and then I suffered from the worst streak of bad luck I had in years ...

To make a long and painfull story short, here's what happened :

- My giant was transformed in a pin-cushion in the first TK shooting phase (10 skellies with bows that hit on 5 and wound of 6 ? nothing to worry about ... 9 hits and 7 wounds later, dead giant, how humiliating) ...

- My four NG units squabbled for the first 3 turns of the game ...

- My squig hoppers squabbled in the first 2 turns, then got charged by a unit of chariot and were wiped by the impact hits and the horse attacks ...

- My trolls decided to be stupid for the first two turns too, leaving them nicely parked in front of a Bone Giant who then minced them ...

- A Scorpion deviated just behind my archers, right in front of my Spear Chukkas on turn 3, and wiped/chased my crews out of the table ... I didn't hit anything with the 8 shots of those in the two previous turns anyway ...

- A unit of Carrions swopped in front of my units to draw out my Fanatics in the first turn, said Fanatics rolled between 2 and 5 inches on the launching turn, and then went straight back through their units on the second turn ... and then forward again, still through my units, in the third turn ...

- My depleted units of NGs were charged by Ushbatis, Charriots and the Bone Giant, and were either wiped out, or broken and caught in the TK's third turn ...

- At the start of my fourth turn, all I had left on the table was my unit of archers, faced with the Tomb King's Chariots of Doom with that pesky Scorpion still behind them ... it was a really short and really one-sided fight ...

I think I'll melt my dice ...

warlord hack'a
28-08-2007, 00:33
do that, and play a new battle asap against the same guy with the same lists, just to dispel your bad luck.. This sounds like the worst bad luck in warhammer I ever heard of..

Lorcryst
31-08-2007, 17:29
Well, seeing the price of those "cubic random number generators", I've decided to refrain from melting them ...

I'll try to schedule another game against my friend's Tomb Kings, but I had a stroke of good luck in an online game the same day as that awfull game, so maybe I was cursed in Warhammer and blessed in elsewhere ...

BTW I use spear-armed NGs because that's what you get in the Battle for Skull Pass box, I'm a big fan of WYSIWYG (and I do tend to forget what I selected for my units if it's not represented by the models themselves).

Lorcryst
09-09-2007, 09:23
I played another game versus my friend Tomb Kings ... my bad luck seems to be gone, I lost, but not by much (Minor Victory for the TKs).

My Giant did his usual job of being shot at by everything that could for two turns (and died just before reaching something to smash), my Trolls were stupid for half the game (again, that's normal for them), but all in all it went rather well. Except that my Fanatics killed more Goblins than Skeletons, once more ...

I'm not really fond of the level 1 Shamen tough, "scroll caddies" are nice, but I like to be able to cast a spell sometimes (Foot of Gork FTW), so I think I'll bump them back to level 2.

Lastly, the Squig Hoppers. I think I'll find the points for two units, they're not reliable enough to do their job alone, and the sheer threat of two units of ten of those boucing monstrosities is enough to make my friends sweat ...

After thinking long and hard about the army, what I want it to do, and about the models I want to buy and paint, I've tweaked my list like this :

Skarnoze Da Great (Night Goblin Warboss), Great Weapon, Shield, Armour of Gork, Warboss Umm's Best Boss 'At, Mad Cap Mushrooms (164 pts)
Skabgit Bannawavva (Night Goblin Big Boss), Light Armor, Battle Standard Bearer, Rowdy Grott's Big Red Raggedy Banner (107 pts)
Stinky (Night Goblin Shaman), level 2, Staff of Sneaky Stealin' (135 pts)
Smelly (Night Goblin Shaman), level 2, 2 Dispell Scrolls (135 pts)

Skarnoze's Gitz : 31 Night Goblins, Netters, Spears, Full Command, 3 Fanatics (254 pts)
3 units of "Spear Boyz" : 20 Night Goblins, Netters, Spears, Full Command (3 x 135 pts)
1 unit of "Arrer Boyz" : 20 Night Goblins, Netters, Shortbows, Full Command (115 pts)
2 bases of Snotlings (40 pts)

4 Spear Chukkas (140 pts)
2 units of 10 Squig Hoppers (300 pts)

Fire Magnet, Giant (205 pts)

This list is a "generic" one, against Tomb Kings I'll drop the Staff of Sneaky Stealin' and replace it with 2 Dispell Scrolls, as well as dropping the Snotlings and a few NGs from Skarnoze's Gitz to take a single Stone Troll (Magic Resistance 2 vs that dreaded Casket of Souls is really good).

Speaking of Snotlings, they are there to be my (obviously) sneaky table-quarter-grabbers, with my "main" units positionned as a battle line, flanked by the Giant and the Hoppers ... fairly classical, I know, but that's the theory anyway (depends on the table layout, amongst other things).

So, if your survived that long wall of text, what do you think ?

Urgat
09-09-2007, 10:05
mmmh... Tone down the squigs to 7 (I know they'll get shot and stuff, but if by some miracle they don't, 7 is uaually the max number of squigs you can get in contact). Will save some points for something else

You can also save the netters in the bow gits, if they're there to defend the spear chukkas, they don't really need the netters. they don't need the full command either, in fact, they just need to be 20 guys with bows.

I'd also scatter the fanatics across the different units: 3 is overkill and will hinder you as much as the oponent, while 1 here and there will cancel many charge opportunities (or make them painful) without really be a problem for you. With the points saved above, I'd put one fanatic in each unit, and two in the unit flanking the general's unit (to cover it w/o stopping him from charging should the opportunity arise).
I'd drop two spear chukkas and take a rock lobber, too (but that's probably because my luck with balistas is terrible).

I suppose I'd take the best basha instead of the great weapon and the madcap mushrooms, too.

You should try river trolls, too, they're very resilient to about anything, save impact hits and fire spells.

Muncher666
10-09-2007, 08:21
You could also do what I did - I use a common goblin (in rules alone) to ride alongside the trolls on a gigantic scorpion (spider, in rules) to keep them in check leadership wise. I rarely get stupid trolls this way. It makes them so so much more useful, and they're not slowed down as the spidered big boss has almost the same movement.

Allan. (ooooh, you could make him a BSB and give him the spider banner too! Poisoned troll attacks would be NICE.)

warlord hack'a
10-09-2007, 12:16
yes muncher but any enemy unit with ranged firepower can target that big boss unless you have 5 trolls in the unit? That can seriously hurt you..

Muncher666
10-09-2007, 16:19
True, the boss is vulnerable. Throw caution to the wind, I say!

Allan.

Lorcryst
11-09-2007, 10:12
Firstly, thank you for your ideas, and sorry for the lateness of my answers, I have a few problems accessing this site lately ...

In no particular order :

A rock lobber. Well, I have the model, and I used it for quite some time ... but my usual luck (or rather, my curse) mean that nine times out of ten, it'll destroy itself in the first or second turn (yes, that has happened, I played about 20 games with a rock lobber in my list, it never survived past turn 2, but I did once land a direct hit on a High Elf general - SPLAT). I don't know, maybe I'll try it again, to see if my "artillery dice" has stopped hating me ...

Trolls. Now, I'm entirely convinced of their usefullness, but I can't roll below 8 for a Stupidity check. In my Chaos armies (with Chaos Trolls) it's not a problem, but in a Night Goblin army, even when they are right next to my General, it doesn't work ... still, I can hope for a stroke of luck ... I'll need to think about it.

Fanatics. Spreading them across my units might be what I needed ... I'll have to retool my General (I'll probably take the Nibbla's Itty Ring instead of the Mad Cap Mushrooms, my General is there for his Leadership and to survive, hence the Armour of Gork), but that's not a problem.

Squig Hoppers. Hmmm, I'll have to try that, my 10-strong units get whittled to 5-6 before they can make contact with the enemy lines, but if I can use the terrain to shield them, maybe smaller units will work, with some points freed up for other tasty things.

My Archers. It's the only point where I disagree with you guys. I tried several configurations for these gits, and well, let's face it, they're Night Goblins : they don't win fights without all the help they can get.
I tried, among others, the "20 bodies in front of my chukkas" approach, and it was a disaster : the two lines of archers get charged, flunk their "stand & shoot", don't win the combat even against 5 flyers, break, flee through my chukkas taking the crews with them ...
Those nets are really vital for them, since they don't have any armour reducing the strength of the enemy means less wounds.
The musician is there in case of a tie (happened too many times) and because they will eventually break (they're still Night Goblins).
The Champion is usually forgotten by my adversaries, so he can make his two attacks even if my front rank is "wiped" (happened too), and maybe try to save the day.
The Standard Bearer, well, I know it's probably 100 VPs given to my adversary, but that +1 to Combat Resolution has saved my archers (and the Chukkas behind them) several times already.

Long wall of text, once more ... I'll re-think and re-tweak my army list, and post an updated version sometime soon (got a lot to do today).

Saulot
28-09-2007, 08:37
hey, sori to necro this post, but Lorcryst do you have any updates re: your army's performance? I'm very interested in your playtesting and any update would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! ;)

Saberjack
28-09-2007, 10:42
i like your army list!!!
but i think that the poor giant is useless because there are no fast units to employ the ability of fire magnet to protect other units from the enemy fire...so your opponent will destroy the giant easy and AFTER will shoot against other units...i think you shuold use 1 or 2 units of wolf riders...good the spearchukka and too many squig hoppers!!! 7 is the perfect number...105 points and stop!!!
i don't like trolls, because they must stay near the general and the night goblin warboss is not so reliable with Ld 7!!!

last thing: the full command to your night goblin units;
ok for the two blocks of 28, not good for the shooters...with 4 bolts you should use a lot of night gobbos units!!! almost 5 or 6!!!
so, good luck in your matches!!!

Lorcryst
29-09-2007, 08:38
Thanks for your posts guys :)

It's been a couple of really crazy weeks for me, I only had the time to play one game, and that was for a campaign with my Daemon army ...

I'm still thinking and tweaking, I've discussed the "giant problem" with my gaming buddies, and yes, I think I will drop it from the list ... 10% of my army that does almost nothing is a bit too much ...

I hope that I'll have a bit more time to play soon, and I'll post another revised version of my NG list as soon as possible ;)

Dranthar
02-10-2007, 03:21
My Archers. It's the only point where I disagree with you guys. I tried several configurations for these gits, and well, let's face it, they're Night Goblins : they don't win fights without all the help they can get.

IMO the best setup for a unit of defensive archers is 21 (for panic) plus a musician and 1 fanatic. The fanatic can really mess up your opponents charging unit, especially if they're a small unit of skirmishers, fast cav or flyers, which will inevitably be what is charging them.

A champion is worth 1-2 extra attacks and a standard will only give your opponent an excuse to throw some effort into killing them, which is not what you want.

Finally, I almost always make sure that they're 5 across with 4 ranks when they get charged. The extra shots for stand and shoot are just useless - you'll be lucky to kill 1-2 models and you're better off getting that guaranteed rank bonus instead.

Finally, Night Goblins with short bows are really handy at taking a few wounds off large targets, since all models in the unit will be able to shoot for a total of 20-odd shots. S3 or not, that's bound to do something.

Lorcryst
02-10-2007, 21:35
Well, I guess I can see the wisdom of 21 archers + musician, but I have a problem with the Fanatic ...

Using RAW guidelines, I can't get that unit of archers on a hill (that would kill the Fanatic on launch), maybe "on the ground" in front of a hill with my Chukkas on it ?

I tried the "block of 4 ranks, 5 wide" tactics, knocked a couple of wounds out of a Bone Giant, and it works against targets on a (ennemy) hill too if you can advance the archers close enough (Hand of Gork helps), I killed a couple of Dark Elf RBT crewmen like that ;)

Dranthar
02-10-2007, 23:42
I think you should give up on the idea of considering the Bowmen as a serious shooting unit - unless they're pegging away at large targets then they just aren't. :rolleyes:

I take a unit for shooting large targets and seeing off flanking units with their fanatic, but I wouldn't expect much more from them. :D.

Lorcryst
04-10-2007, 06:15
Heh ... a Night Goblin army is far from serious anyway, I choose to play it for the fun factor of the gobbos drunken on fungus beer :p

I've had another idea for an army list, but I don't have enough time to post it right now (dentist apointment in 30 mins ... I'm already aching), I'll try to post it later today (IF I can see clearly enough ...).

Lorcryst
13-10-2007, 21:56
Whoa, 9 days since my last post here ... sorry for the necro, but I have a bit more of playtesting to post :

I've played another game, but with only 1175 points, and vs a 2100 points Empire gun-line (we're playing a campaign, that's all I could muster).

Obvisouly I had to re-think my army (no Lord, for one), but I managed to keep the "theme" (4 Spear Chukkas, one unit of Squig Hoppers, 2 shamans and 1 hero, 1 unit of archers to protect my Chukkas, 3 units of spear-goblins).

I lost (damned popemobile, cursed handgunners, thrice-reviled great cannons), but it was only a Solid Victory for the Empire even if I was totally outnumbered, I had a bit of luck with my Hoppers and my spells.

While not a good test of my 2K list, that game still gave me a few ideas, a brainstorming with a fellow greenskin player in our group and a bit of thinking later, I had the following list sorted out :

Da Bloodied Moon Tribe

Stakwot Da Great (Night Goblin Warboss), Armour of Gork, Warboss Um's Best Boss 'At, Nibbla's Itty Ring, Great Weapon, Shield => 164 points
Naguz Bannawavva (Night Goblin Big Boss), Battle Standard Bearer, Rowdy Grott's Big Red Raggedy Banner, Light Armour => 107 points
Whog (Night Goblin Shaman), level 2, Staff of Sneaky Stealin' => 135 points
Zhog (Night Goblin Shaman), level 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls => 135 points

Stakwot's Ladz : 28 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command, 3 Fanatics => 242 points
Whog's Mob : 24 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command => 151 points
Zhog's Lot : 24 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command => 151 points
Da Flankaz : 20 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command, 2 Fanatics => 185 points
Da Uvver Flankaz : 20 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command, 2 Fanatics => 185 points
Da Shootaz : 22 Night Goblins, Shortbows, Netters, Musician => 105 points

4 Spear Chukkas => 140 points
2 units of 10 Squig Hoppers => 300 points

My overall strategy is to deploy my biggest unit with the general and BSB either in the middle of the board or on a flank (Refused Flank deployment), then my two "shaman units" 1 inch on either side, and finally my two "Flankaz" on either side of the "shaman" units, so as to present a line of 5 spear-armed units, that should (IF the Animosity leaves me alone ...) advance as a single body, to try to make combined charges.

If I choose a "Refused Flank", my two hopper units should be on the "far" flank opposite of my "main line", or in case of a "central" deployment, they'll be my "wings", on the sides of my "battle line".

In either case, my Chukkas and Shootaz will try to find a hill somewhere in my deployment zone and park themselves on top of it, with the Shootaz on two ranks of 11, tasked with shooting anything that means harm to the Chukkaz (and perhaps reforming to take a charge, too), while the Chukkaz will try to whittle down anything that moves towards my "battle line" or maybe try to kill ennemy war machines.

A slight variant, against Tomb Kings : I'd swap the Staff of Sneaky Stealin' for 2 Dispel Scrolls, and drop 2 Hoppers from each unit to take a single Stone Troll, whose sole purpose is to get a line of sight on the probable Casket of Souls to add his 2 Magic Resistance dices to my dispel attempts.

Phew, that was long ... as I said at the start, I've been thinking about this list for the last 9 days ... I might even write a bit of fluff about it ...

Shas'O Sun Lóng
13-10-2007, 22:36
If your going to play Night Goblins go big or go home! That is big numbers.. goblins are small ;) lol. In my 1000 point army I have around 120 models! It's a all goblin army though, only has night goblins, and forest goblins. Its fun but my aim is to have fun and let loose fanatics so I don't win with it, but somehow that many goblins makes people worried.... for about 12 seconds until they shoot..

Lorcryst
13-10-2007, 23:14
Eh ? I have 162 models in there, without counting the 4 Spear Chukkas (16 more "models") and the 7 Fanatics ... grand total of 185 models ...

I could probably squeeze a few more goblins in by reducing my Squig Hopper units, but I don't want to go above a total (with characters) unit strength of 30 (we have a few buildings as terrain pieces).

Or I could try ditching some Netters, but still, 35 points buys 8 spearmen and 1 archer ... and those nets are a life-saver for me ...

Shas'O Sun Lóng
14-10-2007, 02:01
my bad I didn't see your second list lol, much better

Lorcryst
21-10-2007, 22:01
Well, a little bit of necromancy, and an update with the results of my last game with the army list posted above ...

I've played a game against some Dark Elves, strangely enough without Repeater Bolt Throwers, but with a big unit of Cold One Knights, a unit of Witch Elves and a Lord on a Dragon ...

Apart from my two "shaman" units squabbling for the first two turns, I was spared my usual curse of the failed Animosity rolls.
My shamans even managed to both roll an Irrestible Force while casting their Foot of Gork spells in the third turn, squishing the Witch Elves.
I've lost, a Solid Victory for the Dark Elves, because that blasted lord on dragon broke and caught my "main" unit with my General and BSB in the last turn of the game, and that panicked 2 (depleted) units nearby ...

Anyway, the biggest problem I had during that game were my own Fanatics. I should have heeded my own advice, 7 of those loonies is a bit too much for a 2K game, after their launch they spent a couple of turns moving back and forth around the middle of the table, waiting to be transformed into pin-cushions by massed repeater crossbow fire ... I think they killed maybe 150 points of Harpies during their short and brutal lifespans ...

As is now my habit, I've pondered a few tweaks to my army list (and suitably berated myself for not sticking to my own battleplan, but that's another debate), and I'll post a revised version as soon as I finish checking my point totals (sneak peak : reduce the number of fanatics, and take more Night Goblins instead).

Lorcryst
27-10-2007, 19:16
Another update ... I played another game with the list posted above, against a lizardmen army full of skinks ... in the end, it was a small victory for the lizzies, my army performed well, except for my Spear Chukkas ... even with 4 of those, I seem to be unable to hit the broad side of a barn at close range (and when I do hit, I can't wound ...).

So, back to the drawing board I went, and here's the latest variation of my list :

Da Bloodied Moon Tribe (revised)

Stakwot Da Great (Night Goblin Warboss), Armour of Gork, Warboss Um's Best Boss 'At, Nibbla's Itty Ring, Great Weapon, Shield => 164 points
Naguz Bannawavva (Night Goblin Big Boss), Battle Standard Bearer, Rowdy Grott's Big Red Raggedy Banner, Light Armour => 107 points
Whog (Night Goblin Shaman), level 2, Staff of Sneaky Stealin' => 135 points
Zhog (Night Goblin Shaman), level 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls => 135 points

Stakwot's Ladz : 28 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command, 1 Fanatic => 192 points
Whog's Mob : 22 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command => 143 points
Zhog's Lot : 22 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command => 143 points
Da Flankaz : 22 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command, 1 Fanatic => 168 points
Da Uvver Flankaz : 22 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command, 1 Fanatic => 168 points
Da Shootaz : 22 Night Goblins, Shortbows, Netters, Musician => 105 points
Da Shootaz Too: 22 Night Goblins, Shortbows, Netters, Musician => 105 points

7 Squig Hoppers => 105 points
Squig Herd (4 teams) => 120 points

Points total : 2000.

Number of models : 208.

The overall plan with this one will be to deploy as a line, with the General in the centre, and the Squigs on the extreme flanks, and then advance with everything (IF my Animosity rolls let me move), trying to engage the enemy with at least two of my units. Pretty basic, in fact :rolleyes:

Comments and critiques are welcomed.

Be Afraid
28-10-2007, 20:05
not a bad list, altho 3 fanatics on a 2k NG list, the scarier lists i face, i fear due too the 15+ fanatics !

also, as a green skin player, TAKE URGOK's HORN its really, really good lol