PDA

View Full Version : Deathwatch Space Hulk

lorbaat
24-08-2007, 23:12
So, in our continuing experiments with the Inquisitor system, last night my friends and I played a game of a 40K-scaled Inquisitor/Space Hulk Hybrid. Or, if you prefer, a game of inquisitor in which a Deathwatch Kill Team infiltrated a Space Hulk that was infested with Genestealers and set the warp core to overload (or whatever) before it could land and infest a populated planet (whose name changed several times... perhaps the Hulk was caught in some sort of Warp Rift... but I digress).

Basically, the GM pulled D3 blips per turn, and the blips converted into 0, 1, 2, or 3 'Stealers. The players had two Deathwatch Marines each, we had to reach an objective and make some Sagacity checks to set the core, and then get off the board. It was imperfect in a lot of ways (notably, we didn't have the Alien rules and so made up the Stealers on the fly- and they were too wussy) but we had a great time. Now we have the correct 'Stealer rules and we can't wait to try it again!

One thing we noticed- we just kind of made the Kill Team up based on the models and fluff, so we just slapped some Suspensors on the Heavy Bolter. And then when we went to fire it... obviously the Range had some issues. It didn't play like a shorter- ranged Heavy Bolter at all! Before we take a stab at making some up ourselves, I was wondering if there were rules for a Deathwatch Heavy Bolter online somewhere that better replicate the 40K tabletop "Deathwatch Heavy Bolter with Suspensors" (ie, same as a regular HB, but 18" Assault 3).

Anyone know of anything like that?

talos935
25-08-2007, 03:46
Well I assume Supsnsors would grant the user hip shotting with the heavy bolter[assuming it's a marine]

precinctomega
25-08-2007, 13:26
There are rules for Suspensors in Gav Thorpe's article "Using Space Marines in Inquisitor", which is available from the SG website as a PDF.

R.

lorbaat
25-08-2007, 19:17
There are rules for Suspensors in Gav Thorpe's article "Using Space Marines in Inquisitor", which is available from the SG website as a PDF.

R.

Yes, and not to sound unduly harsh, but if you read my post you'd see that we did put Suspensors on the Heavy Bolter. This changed the weight, but unless we're missing something that has no effect on the Range category of the Bolter. Both the tabletop rules and the fluff say that the Deathwatch put Suspensors on Heavy Bolters to make them brutal short-ranged guns, and using the Suspensors from that article doesn't actually replicate that.

I guess before we made up our own house rules for a "Deathwatch Heavy Bolter with Suspensors" (which will probably just be a change to the range category) I was curious if this was ground someone (presumably with more experience with the system) had trod before.

We're new to the system, not imbeciles.

Arcanus
26-08-2007, 06:53
Yes, and not to sound unduly harsh, but if you read my post you'd see that we did put Suspensors on the Heavy Bolter. This changed the weight, but unless we're missing something that has no effect on the Range category of the Bolter. Both the tabletop rules and the fluff say that the Deathwatch put Suspensors on Heavy Bolters to make them brutal short-ranged guns, and using the Suspensors from that article doesn't actually replicate that.

I guess before we made up our own house rules for a "Deathwatch Heavy Bolter with Suspensors" (which will probably just be a change to the range category) I was curious if this was ground someone (presumably with more experience with the system) had trod before.

We're new to the system, not imbeciles.

That was kind of harsh on the guy maybe you could convert the values from 40k by comparision.

precinctomega
29-08-2007, 19:59
I did read your post but it wasn't clear that you had taken the rules for Suspensors from the PDF. It's surprising how often I encounter new players who weren't even aware that the LRB was available as a download.

Obviously, suspensors just reduce the weight of the object to which they are attached. This could potentially have a number of effects on different objects and items, depending on what that object is.

I have to say, that I'm not a fan of the range band for Heavy Bolters in any case. It implies that - all things being equal - if you stand immediately in front of the barrel, it's harder to hit you than it is if you stand fifty yards away. This is silly (and one reason amongst many that I am agitating for a new edition of the rules).

To make things simple in this case, why not simply state that the weapon now counts as Range A if fired "from the hip" (which is what is intended, using it as an Assault weapon) and Range I if aimed?

R.